Week 4: Milan - Inter 21/09/19 20:45 CET

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Agreed.

I want

----------Dollar---------

Calabria-Musa-Roma-Theo

Kessie-Bennacer-Paq

----Rebic--Leao--

------Piatek----‐---

Nothing else will do

RR, Suso and Biglia i would give away for free
Not only would I give them away for free, I would willingly chip in a little in order to free Rodriguez from his contract. If we all did maybe he would fuck off.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Agreed.

I want

----------Dollar---------
Calabria-Musa-Roma-Theo
Kessie-Bennacer-Paq
----Rebic--Leao--
------Piatek----‐---

Nothing else will do
RR, Suso and Biglia i would give away for free

Me too.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
OK, now you're overrating Conte's Inter(and underrating Spalleti's Inter).
This was not an unplayable side. They are very solid defensively, very tough to beat, but still in a primitive state in other aspects, much like last season. Lukaku & Sensi offer something different than Icardi & Perisic, but they are still struggling in the buildup and still very vulnerable to teams who aren't overwhelmed by their athleticism.
They got exposed when a rather mediocre Czech side came to San Siro to run.

Snfo9tJ.jpg

For comparison

OChgyHL.jpg

Did I say Inter is unplayable? Not at all. They are a team bolstered by expensive signings who are capable of fighting for the scudetto, and coached by the most expensive manager in the league, who's paid more than double the salary of the second most expensive manager.

They are still in the early stages of their journey and will struggle against teams who can hit them in aspects that are more physical than tactical. In Serie A, I can comfortably predict that they'll struggle against Atalanta, Verona, Bologna..

But we aren't like those teams are we? We are a team that's being built in a very tactical, ball-oriented style, without a single player capable of physically dominating opponents (except for the goalkeeper). That's a path that we have chosen. Until (IF) we reach a particular level in that approach, we can't really compete toe-to-toe with teams like Inter. Right now, we aren't even 20% as good from a ball-playing approach as even the Empoli of 2018/19 (which is the best comparison in terms of playing style). We can only hope Milan will continue improving on this path. Giampaolo is not really good for any other style of football.

Last edited:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
We’re an easy team to beat

we all saw this coming

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
can there be one game when goodfella doesn't throw up distance covered stat like it's the only thing that matters in football?

Was waiting for this :D

Distance covered, like other stats can be very misleading or very useful, depending on how it's used. It says a lot about tactics & style of play and shouldn't be seen as just how much effort the players puts in.

Inter looked overwhelmed by the intensity of the game Slavia brought to them, and those stats show it wasn't just an illusion.
Milan hasn't threatened them in the same way in the last derbies, although our players are far more skilled on the ball than Slavia's. It's Milan who looked overwhelmed by the pace of the game.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Leao toyed with Godin today. He's even slower than I remember. I'm still furious. Biglia makes no sense. Theo looks legit. I actually don't like Hakan's style this year. Suso is the worst. Piatek needs to start playing with guts, he's playing very soft. Paqueta's play is concerning.

Suso and Biglia are the biggest problems though. By far.

I dont think its the personell, I think its GPs style. Lethargic meaningless passing, Playing ourselves in trouble. We need to go more direct at times

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Did I say Inter is unplayable? Not at all. They are a team bolstered by expensive signings who are capable of fighting for the scudetto, and coached by the most expensive manager in the league, who's paid more than double the salary of the second most expensive manager.

They are still in the early stages of their journey and will struggle against teams who can hit them in aspects that are more physical than tactical. In Serie A, I can comfortably predict that they'll struggle against Atalanta, Verona, Bologna..

I recall you describing them as unplayable early in the second half(I understand you meant for that specific period, not permanently).
Sure, they have moments in games that are really strong, but I think you're overrating them anyway. They were full of flaws in the previous Serie A games, in the derby last night and obviously also against Slavia. It doesn't look very different from last season. The Icardi drama is gone, for now, but how good can their attack get with Lukaku's linkup play?

I think it's Inter who over-rely on physicality & athleticism.
They don't have a reply to opponents who can match them or outshine them in that department. That's because they aren't very good in the other departments. They'll struggle against more than just the physical sides. Red cards & PKs won't bail them out forever against parked buses.

But we aren't like those teams are we? We are a team that's being built in a very tactical, ball-oriented style, without a single player capable of physically dominating opponents (except for the goalkeeper). That's a path that we have chosen. Until (IF) we reach a particular level in that approach, we can't really compete toe-to-toe with teams like Inter. Right now, we aren't even 20% as good from a ball-playing approach as even the Empoli of 2018/19 (which is the best comparison in terms of playing style). We can only hope Milan will continue improving on this path. Giampaolo is not really good for any other style of football.

The team isn't built or playing well in any particular way.
Tactically the team is risk minimizing. That's about the only thing you can say about them which could be interpreted as a good quality.
We have plenty of players that seem to handle a physical, intensive game. It's actually more than the amount who can handle a narrow, ball-oriented one. A direct, intensive game doesn't mean an XI of headless, unskilled brutes. Napoli of the last years is a good example of that. We should aim for something similar.

Last edited:

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
3 shots on goal, that's quite an achievement

It's one of the many concerning things. Our gameplay is disastrous but the attempts on target are even more worrying (and laughable). Against Udinese we didn't have 1 single shot on target. The other two games were also a very poor 1-0 and 0-1 with -taken both games together- again only a handful of attempts on goal as well. We're talking about Brescia at home and a penalty goal against 10- headed Verona. Yesterday we had 3 attempts on targets, at home.

I don't think we managed to shoot 10 times on target in 4 games. Next to that, like it wasn't enough yet, we play like horseshit. Gattuso made himself look like Pep compared to this drunken sailor, while we all know that also Gattuso didn't really have a plan.

It can't get any worse than this, seriously. What were Maldini and Boban thinking last summer? We desperately needed a coach who can bring Milan to the top again, after all these year-zeroes. The pressure was high, jobs were and are still at stake, so why on earth did they put faith in someone who never even proved anything on a high level. I would really go for Allegri or Wenger to put this team on the rails again. They understand this game clearly more than GP does, they have the experience and knowledge to get us into top 4. After that we can still see what to do, as CL opens up many doors

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Two losses already after four games. Makes me doubt our chances for CL.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Leao toyed with Godin today. He's even slower than I remember. I'm still furious. Biglia makes no sense. Theo looks legit. I actually don't like Hakan's style this year. Suso is the worst. Piatek needs to start playing with guts, he's playing very soft. Paqueta's play is concerning.

Suso and Biglia are the biggest problems though. By far.

I feel Leao is/would be wasted on the wing. I would play him from start as a striker and Rebic on the wing against Torino. Piatek on the bench.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I feel Leao is/would be wasted on the wing. I would play him from start as a striker and Rebic on the wing against Torino. Piatek on the bench.
Sounds like a situation where we're panically rotating players with the inevitable coach sacking at the end.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I recall you describing them as unplayable early in the second half(I understand you meant for that specific period, not permanently).
Sure, they have moments in games that are really strong, but I think you're overrating them anyway. They were full of flaws in the previous Serie A games, in the derby last night and obviously also against Slavia. It doesn't look very different from last season. The Icardi drama is gone, for now, but how good can their attack get with Lukaku's linkup play?

I think it's Inter who over-rely on physicality & athleticism.
They don't have a reply to opponents who can match them or outshine them in that department. That's because they aren't very good in the other departments. They'll struggle against more than just the physical sides. Red cards & PKs won't bail them out forever against parked buses.

The team isn't built or playing well in any particular way.
Tactically the team is risk minimizing. That's about the only thing you can say about them which could be interpreted as a good quality.
We have plenty of players that seem to handle a physical, intensive game. It's actually more than the amount who can handle a narrow, ball-oriented one. A direct, intensive game doesn't mean an XI of headless, unskilled brutes. Napoli of the last years is a good example of that. We should aim for something similar.

The team isn’t playing in any specific way now, and that’s exactly the issue. If you look at the preseason matches, especially the one against Man Utd, there was a clear style emerging. So what changed? I have no clue.

I really want guys like Bennacer, Krunic and Rebic to be starting now. They are still much more suited to the possession style that we want to do, as opposed to Suso or Kessie or even Paqueta. That’s where Giampaolo needs to decisively change his mind. He seems to be caught between playing the old guard (who don’t particularly fit what he’s asking them to do), and in hesitating to change the tactics to suit their strengths.

If he’s going to go down, he should do so with players more suited to his style of football. Not with Suso.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Or even more decisively, bench Piatek. It’s painful watching him struggle to adapt to a style completely unused to his strengths.

Why can’t be start with Leao and Rebic with Paqueta behind them.

Whatever he chooses to do, for the sake of his job Giampaolo needs to shed anyone who can’t naturally do what he wants them to do on the pitch.

hopetorture

Primavera
Reaction score
u guys can shift around the front3 all you want, the main problem is the middle 3, kessie, kebab and biglia, along with uncapable fullbacks like rr, huge defensive liabilities like conti. our midfield is constatnly backpassing, doesnt matter who we play upfront really. instead of going to attack the opposition we end up giving the ball back to donna...happened so many times yesterday too. last year also. play fucking bennacer already. drop hakan too.

jurinius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Cafu Boban Pirlo Inzaghi Shevchenko Leonardo Van Basten Ambrosini
The team isn’t playing in any specific way now, and that’s exactly the issue. If you look at the preseason matches, especially the one against Man Utd, there was a clear style emerging. So what changed? I have no clue.

I really want guys like Bennacer, Krunic and Rebic to be starting now. They are still much more suited to the possession style that we want to do, as opposed to Suso or Kessie or even Paqueta. That’s where Giampaolo needs to decisively change his mind. He seems to be caught between playing the old guard (who don’t particularly fit what he’s asking them to do), and in hesitating to change the tactics to suit their strengths.

If he’s going to go down, he should do so with players more suited to his style of football. Not with Suso.
Wrong, because he will be obsessed to find players suited for his style... Any talented player is suited for any system, just train and motivate the player to deliver on that.

This guy has a coachin man issue. Why keep playing Biglia when u have Bennacer for the same spot, Bonnaventura can have some minute too, replacing Leao and Hakan yesterday was just a piece of shit coachin...

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
u guys can shift around the front3 all you want, the main problem is the middle 3, kessie, kebab and biglia, along with uncapable fullbacks like rr, huge defensive liabilities like conti. our midfield is constatnly backpassing, doesnt matter who we play upfront really. instead of going to attack the opposition we end up giving the ball back to donna...happened so many times yesterday too. last year also. play fucking bennacer already. drop hakan too.

He should play paqueta - bennacer - kessie since week 1. They all are available and have no injury issue. Past week 4 here we are

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Win or lose, the important thing was the major step taken today in the war against racism with the banner before the match.

Proud of my club :star:

hopetorture

Primavera
Reaction score
He should play paqueta - bennacer - kessie since week 1. They all are available and have no injury issue. Past week 4 here we are

exactly my thoughts too. even an avarage commoder knows hakan rr left wing will not work in attack. biglia with zero forward awareness, his constant backpassing doesnt help either.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
exactly my thoughts too. even an avarage commoder knows hakan rr left wing will not work in attack. biglia with zero forward awareness, his constant backpassing doesnt help either.

Still would struggle with our playing style

pkriston

Primavera
Reaction score
It's definitely about time we try something new. No Suso next game. I was a big fan. But he is definitely good enough for the role he has. The play revolves around him, and he is certainly no Messi. That's why we are basically a midtable team. We have a midtable Messi. If he can't adapt and take a step back, he needs to come off the bench.

Leao is a future star in the making and we can't hold him back. I can't believe we still have people overlooking him in their fantasy lineups lol. He is an exciting player.

Look at Fati at Barca being a beast at just 16.

And for God's sake, you can't have Biglia starting over Bennacer. Piatek is definitely out form because he had a couple chances that he would have buried last year. We have to persist with him for now.

Piatek
Leao Paqueta/Jack/Rebic
Jack/Paqueta Bennacer Kessie
Theo Romagnoli Mussachio Calabria
Donna

pkriston

Primavera
Reaction score
Conti also may need to sit. We may have to try Mussachio as rb and give Duarte a chance the next time Calabria is out.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Ez win for the better team in Milano

Godin was an absolute rock, too ez for him

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Seriously you need to chill with this inter 24/7 dick sucking neruda

We literally played a derbi yesterday

If that isnt the time to talk abt Inter not sure when it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
We literally played a derbi yesterday

If that isnt the time to talk abt Inter not sure when it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats your excuse when sucking their dick every single day when we're not playing against them?

Schedule