The Red & Black Forums

The Red & Black Forums (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/index.php)
-   AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Ronaldo Thread (http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showthread.php?t=9608)

crazy4milan 07-05-2007 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by madtherchot
More reason for us to start working on his replacement this summer.

About his summer schedule, I think its just right ... not too much of a break + a holiday at the same time with those tours to the US + UCL qualifying round games to play. Perfect opportunity for him to work at bettering himself physically.

I hope he does take advantage of the summer preparation, some weeks ago at La Giostra dei Gol, they were talking about him and saying that his true test will come this summer, if Milan are able to keep him fit + out of excesive party...for them that was unlikely to happen.

GreatKalu 07-05-2007 21:33

^^ Well I guess if he was really motivated, then a personal fitness program should be adequate to get him back in shape. I mean, Maldini has won everything + more on the club front yet his motivation and personalized training programs keep him in good shape.

Sorry about the UCL qualifying rounds ... I simply overlooked the fact that we could win direct entry into the group stage next year. Thanks for reminding, Jasper :)

acerвιc wιт 08-05-2007 02:42

For arguements sake if we do happen to win the UCL this season aren't we guarrenteed an automatic spot in next seasons UCL?

GreatKalu 08-05-2007 06:45

^^ Yes, if we win, we're directly in the group stage at Romanian champions Dinamo Bucharest's expense. That's what I overlooked earlier.

Beemer 08-05-2007 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Paolo
For arguements sake if we do happen to win the UCL this season aren't we guarrenteed an automatic spot in next seasons UCL?

It's part of the new Liverpool Rule, but when they won, they had to start WAY at the bottom of the pecking order and play some hole-in-the-wall team from Wales.

However, due to all the extra games 'Pool had to play, they were running on fumes by the time they were eliminated by Benfica.

radioactivenerd 08-05-2007 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWTaylor
It's part of the new Liverpool Rule, but when they won, they had to start WAY at the bottom of the pecking order and play some hole-in-the-wall team from Wales.

However, due to all the extra games 'Pool had to play, they were running on fumes by the time they were eliminated by Benfica.

We wont have to start at the bottom of the piile. Due to the change in rules, we take the place of the team that finishes 4th, and will start at the regular qualification round that we will start at anyway by finishing 3rd or 4th.

GreatKalu 08-05-2007 11:50

^^ No. If we finish third or fourth (which we will) + win in Athens, we will take the Romanian Champion's (Dinamo have already won it) place in the group stage while they will take our spot in the third qualifying round. Same goes for Liverpool if they win, and I'm pretty sure about this because it's been highlighted over here especially since this was the first time a Romanian Champion was given direct passage to the UCL group stages due to the successes of Steaua and Rapid Bucharest in the UEFA CUP last season.

Dinamo fans were routing for both Chelsea and Manchester because they would avoid playing in the qualifying rounds where, despite Romanian clubs now being top seeded, Dinamo isn't and will likely play third and fourth placed entries from top leagues ... like Sevilla, Arsenal, Lazio, Valencia, etc.

And it's a completely different story to the 'Liverpool Rule' because Liverpool weren't even in the top four in 2005.

Beemer 08-05-2007 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by madtherchot
And it's a completely different story to the 'Liverpool Rule' because Liverpool weren't even in the top four in 2005.

They finished fifth in the EPL in '05, and they weren't even going to defend their title until UEFA relented and let them in, but made them start at the bottom. I guess they've tweaked that rule considerably since then.

KakatheSublime 08-05-2007 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWTaylor
They finished fifth in the EPL in '05, and they weren't even going to defend their title until UEFA relented and let them in, but made them start at the bottom. I guess they've tweaked that rule considerably since then.

Just heard on Fox Soccer Report that the CL Champion will not get an "automatic" berth to the CL for next year. Milan has to remain in the top four of Serie A to participate in the CL next year. Nice to see that UEFA allowed Liverpool to defend its title and then decided not to give that same consideration to any other teams in like circumstances.

This is all probably moot since it is unlikely that Milan will lose its 3 or 4 place in the league.

radioactivenerd 08-05-2007 19:10

Wait im confused.
So if we win the CL, and if we finish in top 4, we get a direct entry to the group stages .
If we win the CL, and finish 5 or worse, we get entered to the 3rd qualification round?
And not winning the CL, and finishing 3rd or 4th will obviously bring us to the Quali rounds again..
Am i right?

to KakaTheSublime:
FSC talks lots of cow-manure at times. I wouldnt trust them. Im 95% sure that the champions WILL be allowed in, just not sure where, wether in the group or the qualifying stages.

Beemer 08-05-2007 19:10

?!

That's how I feel right now.

Passion for *9* 08-05-2007 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by KakatheSublime
Just heard on Fox Soccer Report that the CL Champion will not get an "automatic" berth to the CL for next year.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf
Article 1.03

The title-holder is guaranteed a place in the group stage.

Nothing has changed AFAIK, otherwise I'd have stumbled upon some UEFA press release.

Dunno why this is being discussed in FatRon's thread. Unruly mods + wannabes... LOL :o

GreatKalu 08-05-2007 19:40

^^ It all started when discussing Ronaldo's fitness programs over the summer :tongue:
Quote:

Originally Posted by radioactivenerd
Wait im confused.
So if we win the CL, and if we finish in top 4, we get a direct entry to the group stages .

Correct.
Quote:

If we win the CL, and finish 5 or worse, we get entered to the 3rd qualification round?
No. Same rule applies. We enter into the group stage while the lowest seeded country with an automatic entry into the group stage (Romania, at the moment) will have its entry swap places for the 'Liverpool rule' qualifying round spot we would have had prior to the latest rule update.
Quote:

And not winning the CL, and finishing 3rd or 4th will obviously bring us to the Quali rounds again..
Am i right?
Right again.

MaldiniISgod 10-05-2007 10:16

Quote:

Ronaldo is out for the rest of the season, but is already looking to the future and “very many years” in a Milan jersey.

Il Fenomeno has a splendid start to this spell, scoring seven goals since his January switch from Real Madrid, but is out for at least two weeks – perhaps four – with a thigh strain.

“I think my rapport with the Rossoneri will carry on for a very long time,” said the striker. “I was welcomed here in an incredible way.”

The Brazilian feared there would be a backlash due to his past at rivals Inter, but he quickly became a fan favourite on the other side of the San Siro.

“I am happy to have started well up until now, but one must continue and try to always improve. This little thigh strain was bad timing at this stage of the season, but it happened and we have to deal with it as soon as possible.”

There are reports Ronaldo could be back in time for the final Serie A game of the season at Reggina’s Stadio Granillo on May 27.

“We will see how the recovery process goes. It is a very delicate area of the muscle and I am an explosive player, so we need to be careful not to aggravate it with the sprint.”

His contract expires in June 2008, but there is already talk of a renewal on the table this summer.

Next term he will be able to play in the Champions League, though for the grand Final against Liverpool on May 23 he will try to be present.

“I had great fun watching the Manchester United match, as my teammates played an extraordinary game. I will be in the stands in Athens as well to cheer them on.”

Football Italia
It's nice to see that he likes at Milan so much, hopefully it will make him put forward the best of his abilities, which so far I think we are pretty satisfied with. Too bad we didn't get this kind of commitment from him 5-6 years ago, that would have been a bit more exciting, at least we get to see him off while he still has some gas left in the tank.

Pipa 10-05-2007 10:24

Yup .. nice to see he wants to stay many years. But will he have many years left ?? 3 years of good the most, I think.

Yuchen Li 11-05-2007 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipa
Yup .. nice to see he wants to stay many years. But will he have many years left ?? 3 years of good the most, I think.

That's enough. We had got Sheva's replacement and we have 3 years to find aonther striker to replace him.;)

Beemer 11-05-2007 05:58

He is not any kind of long-term solution as striker in the least; he was pretty much brought here for a quick fix. I just hope Galliani realizes that.

Passion for *9* 11-05-2007 06:49

His contract expires in June 2008, but there is already talk of a renewal on the table this summer.

Hahahaha...... OF COURSE he'd make use of the extension clause in his contract. So we're stuck with another UNFIT money grabber who can't wait to retire in a Milan shirt... at 38.

Stupidity, Thy Name is Berlusconi.

ORez 11-05-2007 08:09

I told you this [Ronaldo] was a clingy one :rolleyes:

Madridista 11-05-2007 12:17

Well, with Ronaldo exceeding initial expectations, he is sure to get a reward for that. PLus he's also expressed commitment for Milan in interviews and he will probably want to win a Wc2010 place for Brazil, so I fear he will indeed stay until the very end of his career here. I think 2010 is the year he will retire, probably doing a Zidane, retiring at club level and then playing one last WC. Hopefully a similar scenario will take place.

as for his current recovery, I read on the Milan website that he's already doing ground work, running laps around the pitch, which means he might come back sooner than expected.