Week 30: Milan vs Udinese 02/04/2019 19:00 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Mighty important match, gentle people.

We need 3 points to get the swagger back, and anything but a win could really push this team down the drain mentally.

I saw Udinese against Genoa on Saturday, and Igor Tudor has very quickly changed a few things. Okaka's role coming in from the left is critical, while Pussetto, De Paul and Fofana will also cover the pitch quickly. All these guys are athletic and good on the ball, and they can be devastating on the counter.

We need to be clever in this match and not go all out crazy on the offense thinking it's home and just Udinese. High balls to Piatek will be valuable, since their central defense isn't as strong as Inter's or Samp's. Move the game through the middle more, but quickly pass to Hakan on the left (he should play as the left forward and not in the midfield), leaving Castillejo the free man (and he should play as the right forward).

No matter how, 3 points is a must.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
3pts or the commode will be in ultimate meltdown ahead of Juve at the weekend.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
We need to win this and go to Turin believing we can win at a time when Juventus have the title in their pocket, Ronaldo is injured, they have a CL QF to play a few days after...that is as good as it is going to get.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think the idea of playing Paqueta behind Piatek and Cutrone is solid. Paqueta already showed glimpses of the potential of such a tactic in the few minutes he had against Samp.

The question though is the rest of the team. I'm not a fan of a 3-man defence ever, and I don't think it's the right move to bring back the defensive solidity. Our defensive excellence was due to the positioning of the 4 defenders and the 5 guys ahead and the cagey structure they created.

I'd like us to stick to the 3-man midfield and create the same structure with 7 guys instead of 9, letting go of the two wide forwards who used to drop deep - resulting in a shorter span of the field covered. Which means a higher line than usual and Piatek + Cutrone going to wider areas more than usual to receive the ball.

So this is what I'd like to see:

----Piatek----------------Cutrone

--------------Paqueta-----------
--------Hakan---------Kessie-----

-------------Bakayoko--------

Paqueta, Hakan and Kessie really need to sharpen their goalscoring skills to win with such a tactic.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

Paqueta, Hakan and Kessie really need to sharpen their goalscoring skills to win with such a tactic.

That would an awesome line up.
Who could dominate the flanks in the attacking phase? Without the assistance of both fullbacks.

Last edited:

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
I’d rather use Samu as SS moving out wide than Cutrone from the start . Gives us pace and a lot more technical ability . Cutrone too limited imo . Would like to see him come off bench

Deffo 4-3-1-2 way to go though . Fuck moving to 3 man at such a crucial period

Quan

Primavera
Reaction score
I really don't see Cutrone + Piatek partnership working.

If we going to play with 2 strikers then I prefer Samu with Piatek.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Cutrone is simply not good enough to be a starter.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think the idea of playing Paqueta behind Piatek and Cutrone is solid. Paqueta already showed glimpses of the potential of such a tactic in the few minutes he had against Samp.

The question though is the rest of the team. I'm not a fan of a 3-man defence ever, and I don't think it's the right move to bring back the defensive solidity. Our defensive excellence was due to the positioning of the 4 defenders and the 5 guys ahead and the cagey structure they created.

I'd like us to stick to the 3-man midfield and create the same structure with 7 guys instead of 9, letting go of the two wide forwards who used to drop deep - resulting in a shorter span of the field covered. Which means a higher line than usual and Piatek + Cutrone going to wider areas more than usual to receive the ball.

Blegh. Where do this love or belief in double CF systems(with two conventional CFs) stem from?

Conte's Juve survived by having great finishers in the midfield and some SS qualities in Vucinic, before proper second strikers(Tevez, then Dybala) arrived and elevated their attack.

Ibra's 4-3-1-2 was a lot more fluid(and better) next to second strikers, rather than CFs.

Sheva-Pippo and Sheva-Crespo were anything but perfect partnerships. Christmas tree with RuiCosta(or Seedorf) and Kaka behind the striker was a lot more effective and also pleasing to the eye.

Milan, under B&G and then F&M, spent most of 2013-2017 trying to make a double CF system work, with no SS, and it failed every single time.

I like both Piatek and Cutrone, but they're both 9s, not versatile attackers.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
hope both sadboy and pistol score so yall stfu

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
cutrone is a con, don't trust him in our lineup.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Blegh. Where do this love or belief in double CF systems(with two conventional CFs) stem from?

Conte's Juve survived by having great finishers in the midfield and some SS qualities in Vucinic, before proper second strikers(Tevez, then Dybala) arrived and elevated their attack.

Ibra's 4-3-1-2 was a lot more fluid(and better) next to second strikers, rather than CFs.

Sheva-Pippo and Sheva-Crespo were anything but perfect partnerships. Christmas tree with RuiCosta(or Seedorf) and Kaka behind the striker was a lot more effective and also pleasing to the eye.

Milan, under B&G and then F&M, spent most of 2013-2017 trying to make a double CF system work, with no SS, and it failed every single time.

:star::star::star::thumbsup:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Against Udinese it's not a big deal but against better teams with attacking fullbacks, who would track them?

Having Cutrone at the start limits our in game options. I think it will be Piatek + Castillejo

Last edited:

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I'm sure Castillejo will be dropped for Paqueta to start and Biglia will go to make way Kessie.

Either the usual 4-3-3 again with Paqueta in midfield and Hakan left.

Or possibly a 4-2-3-1 with Bakayoko and Kessie in front of the defence and Paqueta moved closer to Piatek. That would be my preference, he looked very dangerous there.

Last edited:

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
The probable formation of Milan - Kessie and Paquetà are back, three hypotheses are being examined by Gattuso
01.04.2019 20:30 by Redazione MilanNews Twitter: @Milannewsit article read 56928 times

The difficulties faced by Milan in the last few weeks have left their mark. Gennaro Gattuso, in fact, is ready to change in view of tomorrow's match against Udinese, although the 4-3-3 hypothesis is still not entirely possible, for an important match for the Rossoneri. The Milanese team, in fact, will have to get back on track as soon as possible after the two defeats against Inter and Sampdoria and arrive in this way with the right moral to the match against Juventus next Saturday.

4-3-1-2 - The defense will be the only department not to be changed. Donnarumma's goal will once again be defended by the pair of central Musacchio and Romagnoli and by the Calabria and Ricardo Rodriguez wings. What will instead be subject to changes will be the midfield and the attack. The first hypothesis under consideration by Gattuso is a three-line midline, composed by Kessie, Bakayoko and Calhanoglu, with the advancement of Paquetà in the role of trequartista. However, the main novelty of this module would be the presence of the two spikes, with Cutrone which would support Piatek.

4-2-3-1 - The second formation hypothesis concerns the 4-2-3-1, which would involve only a small modification to the classic Rossoneri line-up. In fact, this possible deployment would include a pair of midfielders, consisting of Kessie and Bakayoko, slightly behind the trio of midfielders Suso, Paquetà and Calhanoglu. In this case, the attack department would not undergo changes, with Piatek the only offensive terminal of Gattuso's team.

4-3-3 - Finally, it is always worth considering the hypothesis that Mr. Gattuso does not make substitutions or changes and, against Udinese, he resumes what has by now become the typical Milan team. In this case, Kessie and Paquetà would return as owners in the midfield trident, on the flanks of Bakayoko. In attack, instead, Suso and Piatek would be confirmed while Calhanoglu will again wear the clothes of the external offensive on the left, instead of Castillejo.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Conti is out with 'muscular fatigue in the right thigh flexors'

GOALKEEPERS: Donnarumma A., Donnarumma G., Reina
DEFENSORS: Abate, Calabria, Caldara, Laxalt, Musacchio, Rodriguez, Romagnoli, Strinic, Zapata
CENTROCAMPISTI: Bakayoko, Bertolacci, Biglia, Kessie, Mauri, Montolivo, Paquetá
ATTACKERS: Borini, Calhanoglu , Castillejo, Cutrone, Piatek, Suso.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That would an awesome line up.
Who could dominate the flanks in the attacking phase? Without the assistance of both fullbacks.

The forwards need to go wide and combine with the fullbacks. The 4-3-1-2 as we did during the Ancelotti years is difficult to work these days due to the increased importance of narrow passes in wide spaces.. so we need to spread the field using forwards.

I think both of them have the physical ability to hold their own in wide areas. That's really necessary to play them together. Cutrone particularly has been deployed wide in a 4-3-3 before and I found him adequate.

Against Udinese it's not a big deal but against better teams with attacking fullbacks, who would track them?

Having Cutrone at the start limits our in game options. I think it will be Piatek + Castillejo

Castillejo - I dunno. He pulls off those great games sometimes, but often it's back to being dominated by whoever is tasked to defend against him - which is also why we often use him in a roaming role. I'd definitely use two strikers against Udinese and then evaluate the Juventus options.

4-3-1-2 - The defense will be the only department not to be changed. Donnarumma's goal will once again be defended by the pair of central Musacchio and Romagnoli and by the Calabria and Ricardo Rodriguez wings. What will instead be subject to changes will be the midfield and the attack. The first hypothesis under consideration by Gattuso is a three-line midline, composed by Kessie, Bakayoko and Calhanoglu, with the advancement of Paquetà in the role of trequartista. However, the main novelty of this module would be the presence of the two spikes, with Cutrone which would support Piatek.

There you go, that's what I'm talking about. Kessie and Paqueta are super critical in this tactic though. They will get several goalscoring opportunities and we can't afford more fuck-ups in front of the goal.

Last edited:

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Football Italia thinks that will be the line-up.

Milan could switch to a 4-3-1-2 with Lucas Paqueta behind Krzysztof Piatek and Patrick Cutrone against Udinese this evening.

Milan host Udinese on the back of successive defeats, and Gazzetta dello Sport claims Gennaro Gattuso is preparing to unleash a new-look attack.

Piatek would be partnered by Cutrone in a front two, with Lucas Paqueta slotting in just behind them as the No 10.

Franck Kessie is also likely to replace Lucas Biglia in midfield, in his first appearance since rowing with the Argentine during the Derby della Madonnina against Inter.

It also marks a throwback to the era of Silvio Berlusconi, who made no secret of his fondness for the 4-3-1-2.

Udinese, on the other hand, beat Genoa 2-0 in Igor Tudor’s first game back at the helm.

The former Juventus defender is expected to stick with virtually the same team, which means another run-out for the attacking trident of Nacho Pussetto, Stefano Okaka and Rodrigo de Paul.

Milan (probable): G Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bakayoko, Calhanoglu; Paquetá; Piatek, Cutrone.

Udinese (probable): Musso; Ter Avest, Troost-Ekong, De Maio, Zeegelar; Fofana, Behrami, Mandragora; Pussetto, Okaka, De Paul

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Super nervous about this game. Hopefully we deliver a convincing win.

I hate being scared of midtable teams.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
I really hope this formation works. Really really really hope it all just clicks. Favourite formation of all time for obvious reasons and many teams have had success with it recently.

Our team besides Suso actually seems to fit this formation perfectly. Shame Conti isn’t available because this formation would’ve been great for his overlapping runs. Rodriguez I fear will struggle without the wingers support in defence, it’s going to be interesting to see.

Please Milan get the win and let’s regain some momentum!

m1lan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
A win is a must today. We really need to get momentum back as we head into the final part of the season. Get the 3 points and start April with a bang.

We have a lot of tricky fixtures in April, including the Coppa 2nd leg. Lets hope we can get through it and still be in 3rd or 4th place.

marioacm93

Milan Icon
Reaction score
dont care what formation we play, we can even play this

1596120_AC_Milan.jpg

as long as Suso isnt playing im fine

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
match starts in ~5.5 hours?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The forwards need to go wide and combine with the fullbacks. The 4-3-1-2 as we did during the Ancelotti years is difficult to work these days due to the increased importance of narrow passes in wide spaces.. so we need to spread the field using forwards.

I’d think more of Hakan and Kessié recovering the ball at the flanks ofcourse switching with the front two.

It’s gonna be awesome.

Schedule