Ronaldo OR Van Basten

Who was a better striker

• Ronaldo

Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Marco Van Basten

Votes: 76 59.8%
  • They were both equally good since Marco wasn't that fast and Ronaldo couldn't head a beach ball

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
What made me make this thread (other than ultra-fanboyism :tongue: ) was the goal.com article where Fabio Capello - the same guy that Benched Ronaldo and PLAYED Van Basten said that Ronaldo was better :rolleyes: It makes me wonder....who would you choose and why...Thanks for your participation.

(p.s. vote Ronaldo :D)

Last edited:

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Both of them were magnificent players, with the same eye for goal, and a winning spirit.

But if we watch the facts, Ronaldo may be a bit more higher level than Marco was.
Ronaldo holds records, than everyone would love to break it.

Van Basten has 3 Golden Balls, Ronaldo has 2 (+1) robbed from Sammer in 1996.

Van Basten has won the CL, but Ronaldo the World Cup and holds the record of all time top goalscorer.

I would give my vote to Marco, if Ronaldo wouldn't been a Milan player (That would be a fan vote), but this time I was talking the honest and my opinion.

So, Ronaldo.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Man above me:
Although Ronaldo has one less Golden Ball (then again everybody is supposed to have only two right :D) He has the RECORD for most WOPY....along with zidane ;)

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
Ppl MVB has finished career very young+i don`t know how can some ppl judge him if they have never watched him to play(LIVE)....
Those r players that have played in 2 different times and i dunno if this comparison is right.But if i have to choose....
I had honour to watch them both and with all respect for Ronie MVB was better IMO :)

Last edited:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Ahem...drucurl...

You forgot to add Crespo to the Poll!

:tongue:

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present
My 2 favourite strikers ever.

It depends on what time of the week/month it is when you ask me who is better, I'll always give a different answer.

karish

Kaka
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R9,kaka,Pato,Sheva,R80,Seedorf
Ronnie is the best ever :)

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Yes MVB retired early due to injury (28 or 29) but Ronaldo isnt much older than that and he missed time last time he screwed up his knee so when you think about they both played for relatively the same amount of time (give or take)...

At any rate... I would take Ronnie.

Man above me:

I voted. They are tied now.

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
man above me:
Thats what i wanted to pick but it wasnt a choice.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Voted MVB, my father's idol. :proud:

lia

yada yada
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mané Garrincha, Kaká, Nesta, Ronaldo
I voted for Ronaldo. I didn't follow MVB career very much (was too young) but I've seen footage and could see what a player he was (same with Pelé and Garrincha :star: ). They're both excellent players, of course, and they both played for Milan (although MVB has so much more history with the club), but with Ronnie there's an extra factor: emotion. I have some fine memories from NT games (WC esp.) that I watched and he brought so much joy to me. :)

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
although i'm not following MVB career live.. but my bro influenced me.he is die hard MVB mania.so i voted for MVB :star: MAN IS LEGEND :proud:

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The poll is heating up with MVB ever so slightly ahead....I think Capello has to register at R&B :D

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
MvBasten is the closest thing to a complete player. For a 6’3” player, moves like a 5’5” player. He can do anything. Shoot with both feet, dribble, headings and passing. The last 2 are something that Ronaldo isn’t capable. When it comes to speed, both are equally impressive. Ronaldo in 96 – 98 can run very fast but MvBasten on his best playing days can run 100 meter under 11 seconds. Ronaldo’s strength is on his dribbling and skill to get goals while MvBasten can create magic from almost nothing.

Medal collection from National Team, Ronaldo is definitely ahead of MvBasten because of the World Cup win in 02 and his goals in 3 WC. Throughout his career, MvBasten only played in 4 World Cup games and scored 0. He only have the Euro 88 medal to boast.

Club wise, MvBasten is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronnie won 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Inter Continental Cup and 1 Spanish La Liga. MvBasten won 3 Scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 European Super Cup, 2 Inter Continental Cup.

In terms of legacy. I still have the feeling that MvBasten is ahead of Ronnie (although I can be VERY biased since he is my fave player of all time). His last game ever was in May 93 when he was only 28 (after 4 months lay off). He still have at least 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. He was forced to retire when he was at his peak. And in 92 he was at his best season ever before injury cut him short in November 92. He scored 12 goals in 9 league games, and who can forget that 4 goals vs IFK Gothenborg.

In the list of FIFA all time greatest player, MvBasten was voted in number 9. Ahead of him are the usual suspects like Maradone, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini (in no particular order). I can’t help think how he will be rated if injury doesn’t cut him short.

Capello said Ronaldo is better. He earns the right to say that. But let’s put it this way. He is a very tough and hard coach. He never smiled or applause when his team scores or won something important. The most he will do is nod his head in agreement. But he cried in the San Siro dug out and didn’t hide his tears from the camera when on August 18, 1995 MvBasten stepped on the field for a lap of honor to thank the tifosi.

Lastly, IMO Ronaldo embodied how the game should be played beautifully with all his step over, dribbling, speed and tricks. MvBasten is God's answer if we can ask Him to make us a complete player.

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
gaizka22 said:
MvBasten is the closest thing to a complete player. For a 6’3” player, moves like a 5’5” player. He can do anything. Shoot with both feet, dribble, headings and passing. The last 2 are something that Ronaldo isn’t capable. When it comes to speed, both are equally impressive. Ronaldo in 96 – 98 can run very fast but MvBasten on his best playing days can run 100 meter under 11 seconds. Ronaldo’s strength is on his dribbling and skill to get goals while MvBasten can create magic from almost nothing.

Medal collection from National Team, Ronaldo is definitely ahead of MvBasten because of the World Cup win in 02 and his goals in 3 WC. Throughout his career, MvBasten only played in 4 World Cup games and scored 0. He only have the Euro 88 medal to boast.

Club wise, MvBasten is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronnie won 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Inter Continental Cup and 1 Spanish La Liga. MvBasten won 3 Scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 European Super Cup, 2 Inter Continental Cup.

In terms of legacy. I still have the feeling that MvBasten is ahead of Ronnie (although I can be VERY biased since he is my fave player of all time). His last game ever was in May 93 when he was only 28 (after 4 months lay off). He still have at least 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. He was forced to retire when he was at his peak. And in 92 he was at his best season ever before injury cut him short in November 92. He scored 12 goals in 9 league games, and who can forget that 4 goals vs IFK Gothenborg.

In the list of FIFA all time greatest player, MvBasten was voted in number 9. Ahead of him are the usual suspects like Maradone, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini (in no particular order). I can’t help think how he will be rated if injury doesn’t cut him short.

Capello said Ronaldo is better. He earns the right to say that. But let’s put it this way. He is a very tough and hard coach. He never smiled or applause when his team scores or won something important. The most he will do is nod his head in agreement. But he cried in the San Siro dug out and didn’t hide his tears from the camera when on August 18, 1995 MvBasten stepped on the field for a lap of honor to thank the tifosi.

Lastly, IMO Ronaldo embodied how the game should be played beautifully with all his step over, dribbling, speed and tricks. MvBasten is God's answer if we can ask Him to make us a complete player.
:star:
MVB made football simple while Ronaldo made it a joy.
If I had 2 pick 2 strikers it will surely b Ronaldo + MVB.

PRIYO

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Sheva, Sergio Claudio, Ibra.
Why is sheva not in the poll? :tongue:

I voted for MVB.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB starting to take the lead like the winner he is :proud: Can Ronaldo make up the lost ground :D

karish

Kaka
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R9,kaka,Pato,Sheva,R80,Seedorf
I voted already dru :D Ronnie for live :star:

takahan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
In terms of scoring ability, no one can beat Ronaldo, not even MVB.
However MVB is a more important player in the Milan history than Ronaldo.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
Forza Milan...

Last edited:

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Man above me:

You are neglecting ONE crucial fact : Capello has something against big names. If you think that he was right to kick out Ronaldo since Real won then you probably think that keeping Baggio on the bench (for Savecevic) and ADP (for Ibra) was right. And even if it was at the time can these pieces of data be used to say that Savecevic was better than Baggio or that Ibra was better than ADP??

Capello used Raul and RVN and got the results that he wanted but I'd be a jackass to think that either one of these two had quarter the talent Ronaldo has.

Him crying for Marco isn't unusual. Marco was Capello's best individual player...and the fact that he could STILL say that Ronaldo was better speaks VOLUMES to me.

My argument is based on factual events that did happen....you are assuming you know what he thinks deep down. Capello- like it or not is a team based manager...in that he couldn't give a shit what happened to an individual once the team was successful. With all his talent Ronaldo was not fitting into Capello's scheme so he sold him rather than have a discontented superstar on the bench. It's logical. Give him the chance and he might have well sold Totti at Roma too. He never let even his love for Cassano cloud his judgement - a move that served to trun Cassano against him. Your assertion that because he cried due to MVB's leaving is built on a faulty premise. And finally...if he loved Marco soooooo much he wouldn't have said that Ronaldo was better even if he believed it out of solidarity with Van Basten

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
I voted for MVB, although if Batistuta would have been there he would of got my vote, he was a complete player in every aspect. A legend like Ronie and MVB. :D

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
drucurl said:
Capello used Raul and RVN and got the results that he wanted

Can you add them to the Poll?? I'd like to change my vote. ;)

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Forza Milan...

Last edited:

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Man above me:

You chose to only look at the statement and ignore everything else....two could play that game you know. I know that I have to rely on recorded footage to see Van Basten....you've got me there. However YOU can't deny that Capello usually went after the brightest stars wherever he went. Logically at Real, Ronaldo and Beckham were going to be in trouble. Also many of my older friends who have been watching football since Pele only talk about Maradonna and Pele....(mostly Pele (they're THAT old loool :D ) ) and then they talk about Ronaldo. Sure they say Van Basten was great and a master at his profession but like me no one ever felt the sheer presence that Ronaldo (at his best of course) would bring into a game. Ronaldo once dribbled the ball straight to goal, turned around and did it over before he scored.

People often talk about Attackers toying with defenders when really the attackers are simply doing their best to keep the ball from the defense...Ronaldo REALLY toyed with defenders. His spanners (or "elasticos" if you like ) weren't as pretty as Ronaldinho's or Maradonna's but they were done at high speed and usually always worked.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Forza Milan...

Last edited:

Schedule