AC Milan 3-1 Chievo Verona 03/04/07

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Despite Nelson Dida's goalkeeping howler, Milan turned their game around to beat Chievo 3-1 with Massimo Oddo's first goal for the club.

The Rossoneri were still dealing with an injury crisis and had to do without Paolo Maldini, Marcos Cafu, Alessandro Nesta, Serginho, Kakha Kaladze, Alessandro Costacurta and Pippo Inzaghi, while there was also pressure to rest players ahead of the Champions League match with Celtic. Chievo were in trouble too, as Luciano, Victor Obinna, Vincenzo Sicignano and Federico Cossato were injured with Fabio Moro and Erjon Bogdani suspended. As before every game this weekend, there was a minute's silence for the death of respected journalist Giorgio Tosatti.

Dida almost gave away a goal after four minutes with a terrible clearance straight to Paolo Sammarco, but the pass found Sergio Pellissier offside. Kaka and Ronaldo combined to thread through for Alberto Gilardino, whose first touch let him down in front of the goalkeeper.

Moments later Il Fenomeno hit the back of the net, but the whistle had already gone for an incorrect offside decision.

Dida flapped at a long free kick to take it away from Pellissier and from the resulting corner Davide Mandelli nodded wide.

The uncertainty was even more evident when Chievo took the lead in comical circumstances. Daniele Bonera was trying to protect the ball from Pellissier, but ended up clattering into Dida instead and allowed their opponent to waltz into an empty net!

Moments later Milan nearly equalised with Gilardino's glancing header well saved by Squizzi, then the goalkeeper flew to fingertip a splendid Andrea Pirlo free kick out from under the bar.

Massimo Oddo also had a set-piece smothered, but Vincenzo Italiano saw Dida off his line and attempted a strike from 30 metres.

The Rossoneri drew level and it was again thanks to a defensive error. Squizzi beat away a sudden Kaka snapshot and Gilardino pounced on the loose ball, chipping it over the scrambling goalkeeper.

Mandelli did well to nod Oddo's sweeping cross off the head of Ronaldo from six yards. Chievo Coach Gigi Del Neri was sent off for insulting the linesman and fourth official after 35 minutes at San Siro.

Ronaldo took on three men with a series of step-overs before his shot was deflected for a corner, but Gennaro Gattuso was booked for a tactical foul on Giuseppe Cozzolino as he launched a counter-attack.

Ronaldo spun round to leave a defender for dead, but the finish from the edge of the area was too weak to truly trouble Squizzi.

After the restart Kaka believed he was brought down on the counter, but the referee waved play on. Pirlo's free kick was controlled and Gattuso had an effort closed down.

Milan were passing the ball around with more pace in this half and Ronaldo combined with Gilardino to reach Oddo on the very edge of the area. The ex-Lazio man let go of a right-foot foot screamer into the far corner to turn the game around.

However, Dida was having a nightmare and he completely missed a cross moments later, clattering into Dario Simic and Pellissier, but fortunately for him the ball swung just wide of the open goal.

Brocchi's pass went through a Kaka dummy to Ronaldo and he slashed the shot wide, while at the other end Dida had to deal with a tricky backpass under pressure from Paolo Sammarco.

A Kamil Kosowski cross went past everyone - defenders and forwards - with only a touch needed to score and Simic attempted an audacious strike from over 30 metres.

It was an all-Brazilian move on 70 minutes with Kaka's change of pace and Ronaldo spinning round, but the ex-Inter man was closed down when he should perhaps have passed back to his teammate.

Ronaldo was even more egotistical soon after, as on the counter he took advantage of Salvatore Lanna's slip and tried to chip the 'keeper, but Kaka was totally unmarked in the centre.

The former Real Madrid star had another effort charged down by Malago' and tried to break through three players, while Kosowski drilled wide for Chievo. Kaka's cutback for an unmarked Ronaldo at the back post was charged down for a corner and on the resulting set-piece Il Fenomeno tried to dribble through only to suffer from cramp.

Clarence Seedorf secured the victory in stoppages with a classic free kick. The Dutchman curled a fine finish into the near top corner, leaving Squizzi immobile.
(Channel 4)

Bye.

{{{sheva}}}

Milanista Forever
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf
simic did great. what a performance. I think Janku and oddo did very well aslo.

great goal oddo

Russo-neri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
If the mod is going to keep deleting my posts, may I suggest also deleting Ernesto's offensively drawn picture of Dinho. It's competely racist...

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Russo-neri said:
If the mod is going to keep deleting my posts, may I suggest also deleting Ernesto's offensively drawn picture of Dinho. It's competely racist...

I think it's supposed to be Drogba not Ronaldinho.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Isn't that Drogba? Looks nothing like Dinho. What do you think is racist about it?

ernesto

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, nesta, pirlo, inzaghi, buffon
yes yes

it's drogba!!! :S

makcoul

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Great to Milan Staff, We are seeing Roni coming back to his Best Level !!!!!
Forza Milan!!!

PUPO

Stiamo tornando
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Pippo, Totti, R80, Messi, Sheva
Seedorf the man!
What a wonderful goal. Up yours Giallorossi, you've gone quiet haven't you???
Good performance overall, i just really had it up to here with Dida's indecisions and blunders...Inter wil not forgive us those kind of mistakes...

MahmoodAB

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
all Milanese are one
yeah guess that.. can see ronaldo coming back and he did sum of his cool moves :> .. milan are getting back as well in a positive way .. forza milan

magashi

Rino Follower
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Sheva, Ronaldinho, Cr. Ronaldo, Torres, Sneijder
Nice match, I am really UNimpressed by Bonera, but shit happens. On the other hand, nice comeback and, I must admit, a great shot by Kaka for the first goal. Also, great goal by Clarens, seems he's better when he plays less, I think we all would be happy if he played less then :D Oddo scored a beautiful goal, too, By the way, I noticed Ronaldo was somewhat injured when he left, was it me, or he was limping?

Anyone has highlights already? Edit: They weren't posted when I started writing this post, sorry :p

Last edited:

Dann

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Nesta, T.Silva, Sheva, Pirlo, Totti, Rino
good victory for the boys and lets do the same vs celtic on wednesday.

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
dida is a joke to be fair it wasnt just his fault for the first goal but he was crap all game, he is lucky chievo couldnt take advantage good by gila,kaka,oddo ronaldo played decent perhaps too greedy a win is a win though forza milan!!!

RATM

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Gila wasted two good opportunities and then scored.The Chievo goal was all Bonera's fault (and I'm not a Dida fan by any means).

Overall,a good game,most players played well.You know it was a good Milan game when you hear that Seedorf scored.

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
dida just keeps getting worse and worse,he is the new barthez :D its funny to watch but not as a milan fan :mad:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Dida-the only player on the field that could have costed us the game. It seemed like the first blunder with that pass made him very nervous. 5.

Oddo-Rocket scientist. Marvellous goal and seemed like he was even more happy with it than the penalty-kick he scored in the Rome derby. Free-kick was slightly below average(no real danger) and crosses weren't as good as the ones from the left flank either. Still good displays defensively and a goal result a 7.5

Bonera-had second thoughts during Chievo goal situation. Still got himself together and made clear it was a momentary slip-up. 6.5

Simic-nice and solid however I didn't see him in as much action as Bonera. Still I didn't see him making mistakes too. 7

Jankulovski-marvellous cross in the first half to Gilardino who couldn't execute it. Got the foul that led to third goal too. Stood up Defensively, when Bonera pushed striker to the left side. 6.5

Pirlo-the free-kick that got deflected was good anyway but what I noticed was that if he sent in a cross from a dead-ball situation our team was pathetic. Cross was ok-not brilliant but not bad either. I was his teammates who couldn't even get rid of their markers. Few good passes came from him but nothing brilliant in that section too. 6

Gattuso-captain got yellowcarded and I didn't notice him providing the nice tackles he's been showing throughout this season. 6

Brocchi-very lively but all in all average again. 6

Kaka-lost posession several(3) times too easily. And those were not even his first touches. Was a bit off there but not moody. Amazing bomb before the first goal and good movement when he had to play as a striker. Won us free-kicks as well. 6.5

Gilardino-scored! Didn't score a good cross and didn't handle the ball when Ronaldo opened him nicely during the first half. In the second half made a nice mask to open Ronaldo and managed to give the pass to Ronaldo before the Oddo goal between 3 men. I noticed he has pretty good pace for his strange long-step running tehnique. 6.5 or even maybe 7 for the goal.

Ronaldo-lack of movement at periods and easy posession loosing too. Other periods had nice dribbling and managed to assist Oddo. The chip he made would have earned him extra-point or 1.5 but with the kicks he managed to do in the box he ears 6.5

Milan/Ancelotti-controlled the game nicely. Subs cemented the victory. Loved how Kaka and Janku played 'one-position-up'. 7.
Seedorf, Favalli, Ambrosini n/a

Last edited:

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ernesto said:
not that one...
there is one earlier than that
it went up and came bak down right under the crossbar... but, keeper saved it
Yes that was one, deflected upwards by the wall, tippedover by the keeper..

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
no offence Jasper... but Brocchi lost about 30 balls in total for the entire match...

SiC_Milanista

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Rossoneri
RATM said:
Gila wasted two good opportunities and then scored.The Chievo goal was all Bonera's fault (and I'm not a Dida fan by any means).

Overall,a good game,most players played well.You know it was a good Milan game when you hear that Seedorf scored.

I wouldn't say it was entirely Bonera's fault. There was obviously a misunderstanding between him and Dida. It seemed like Dida called for the ball (at least, he came lunging forward), so Bonera eased up a bit, making it look like it was his mistake. I'd blame it on poor communication and clumsiness, if anything. It was a pretty stupid moment. :rolleyes:

genc

Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini - Boban - Van Basten - Nesta - Ronaldo - Ronaldinho
In my opinion Jankulovski is the best player this season he's becoming greater every day ronnie played nice game he would have scored if he played along side Oliveira knowing that he moves a lot much much more that gilardino who in my opinion we dont need at all he proved useless today even he scored a goal BROCH was gret tonight

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
RATM said:
The Chievo goal was all Bonera's fault (and I'm not a Dida fan by any means).
IMO they share the "honour" and the bigger fish lies in Dida action. Bonera was the one who let a simple ball become a threat for the goal but didn't freak out because the moment of weakness and gave his all to make it up. Dida played the situation without balls. He went after the ball but somehow managed to close his eyes or something and let it through. Thinking twice and being scared caused the goal and yet he still took a hit also.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
zZ[-_-]Zz said:
no offence Jasper... but Brocchi lost about 30 balls in total for the entire match...
I do remember few very bad losses now that you've mentioned it. I guess I wrote soem of them to Pirlo's and Gattuso's shoulders or something.

magashi

Rino Follower
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Sheva, Ronaldinho, Cr. Ronaldo, Torres, Sneijder
SiC_Milanista said:
I wouldn't say it was entirely Bonera's fault. There was obviously a misunderstanding between him and Dida. It seemed like Dida called for the ball (at least, he came lunging forward), so Bonera eased up a bit, making it look like it was his mistake. I'd blame it on poor communication and clumsiness, if anything. It was a pretty stupid moment. :rolleyes:

In such cases, the defender MUST clear the ball. He wasn't guarding it well so that he could allow Dida to catch it easily and must've cleared it. Sure, it was a misunderstanding here, but if someone is guilty, it's Bonera.

Schedule