African Football

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.
Sulley scored yesterday (vs Sudan, WCQ). :proud:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Abu Treika the best African player

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I'm guessing no one tuned into the 1st leg of the CAF champions league final between Orlando Pirates and Al Ahli. The game finished 1-1, Abu Treika the maestro scored a wonderful FK in the 1st half but Orlando equalled on the last kick of the match. The championship will be decided in Egypt.

Mion-Moura

Team Neymar
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Neymar Casemiro Oscar Danilo CGrenier ReneeWalker JRodriguez LMoura Matic LAdriano AWitsel Marquinhs
Orlando have surprised me.its very rare for teams from the south to do well in this competition.they beat mazembe,esperance which are very great and can well cause a massive shocker and win it all.

Last edited:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I think Al Ahli's experience will get them the title but they will not have the backing of their enormous fan base due to the situation in Egypt they will play in Hurghada. I thought Orlando were lucky in the first leg but their persistence paid off although Ahli could have easily made it 2 0

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pippo, Sheva, Ricky, Messi, Iniesta, Harry Redknapp, Sanosuke Sagara, Chris Redfield.
Everyone was too busy giving the same rehashed Shitilegri arguments for the umpteenth time when management clearly has no plans to uninstall the malware that's caused our dear team to ROT.. :mad:

Everyone was too busy to notice that we (Nigeria) just won the FIFA U17 World Cup in the UAE...for the 4th time now. Plus we've been 2nd place three times. That makes us the most successful team in this youth event.

Hopefully the lads can make the transition to the U20, then the senior team, seamlessly. And with Keshi working wonders, removing the complacent senatores for those hungry for success, it's onwards and upwards for us.

Not to forget we also won AFCON this year. :proud:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24874527

37765477.jpg

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Congratulations for the Nigeria victory Corzioli , I just hope that the first team can also have the same sort of achievements.

Al Ahly won the CAF CL for the 8th time .. I am happy for their fans because the Egyptian people have been going through a difficult period and they need something to be happy about.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Thanks so much Jivara..I'm happy for every 'little' victory here in this great country..it hurts when all we are is a reference for every negative thing under the sun :( I'm not exactly a patriot, still I'm not giving up on this country.

One reason why the lower age cadres and the Women's Team do remarkably well in global competitions is because there's considerably less politics involved..the senators and reps and ministers and cabinet members aren't that interested in going to show off and waste taxpayers' money in the hotels in the venue(s), the annoying NFF aren't interested in politicizing every single decision, ethnocentricity doesn't play a role and it's a matter of how good a player is, skillfully and tactically, not how many geopolitical zones here in Nigeria should be represented in the team. Funds and bonuses made available to the players are given to them as soon as necessary, with no corrupt official pocketing a slice of those.

Unfortunately, as we go up the age group element, the publicity increases, and the hungry politican hyenas encircle and strike. So the lads are distracted and can't focus on the football, and the Super Eagles end up disappointing again and again. :'(

With Keshi's appointment as the Senior Team head coach, things have changed a lot though. We've had just two losses ALL YEAR, and those were at the Confederations Cup. :proud:

Nigeria..WE'RE GETTING BETTER!!

Al Ahly..yeah they deserved the win..would've dedicated it to Fifi but he's a Zamalek fan :) either way that's a national honour, all loyalties aside now. :D

Egypt have gone through so much, from Mubarak to Morsi and after. So yes, anything to make our brothers happier. I wonder, how far did Enyimba (Nigeria) or Mazembe (Congo) go in the competition?

Abdul Zaher was an utter disgrace though..fanning the flames of political discord in such a volatile environment? Maybe he was so excited at that point, yeah, but that four-finger salute was in poor taste. Too many deaths already..way too many. :'(

His punishment was a bit too harsh though. All that and he still gets transfer-listed in December/January...

Arsene

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone was too busy giving the same rehashed Shitilegri arguments for the umpteenth time when management clearly has no plans to uninstall the malware that's caused our dear team to ROT.. :mad:

Everyone was too busy to notice that we (Nigeria) just won the FIFA U17 World Cup in the UAE...for the 4th time now. Plus we've been 2nd place three times. That makes us the most successful team in this youth event.

Hopefully the lads can make the transition to the U20, then the senior team, seamlessly. And with Keshi working wonders, removing the complacent senatores for those hungry for success, it's onwards and upwards for us.

Not to forget we also won AFCON this year. :proud:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24874527

37765477.jpg

Kelechi Iheanacho on his way to arsenal

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kelechi Iheanacho on his way to arsenal

Wow, reallllllllllllllllllllllly??? :proud::proud::proud::proud::proud:

That was fast...don't worry, it won't be like Macauley Chrisantus to Hamburg in '07 :) Kelz is a LEGIT finisher. :thumbsup:

Arsene

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

That was fast...don't worry, it won't be like Macauley Chrisantus to Hamburg in '07 :) Kelz is a LEGIT finisher. :thumbsup:

Is he a striker or attacking midfielder? From the videos I seen he has a sweet left foot and I love that goal celebration

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Let's just say he's a trequartista...a very adaptable one at that. :star:

Arsene

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Let's just say he's a trequartista...a very adaptable one at that. :star:

Some people think he's age chat. From what I seen he looks 17 and I personally dont think he is. What do you think.......are we dealing with uncle Kanu/Martin situation here?

kingWizard

Primavera
Reaction score
Abu Treika the best African player

Abou Treika is a class act. It's a shame he's never had a world cup or european club football to bring him to the mainstream football world's attention.

Of course, we iin Ghana are hoping he won't have the opportunity in Brazil either. :).

kingWizard

Primavera
Reaction score

Haha I remember Chrisantus. The thing is that African players are so much more athletic (I hope that doesn't sound racist) than others so at the lower agge level where the mental, tactical and strategy part of the game is not so developed they easily run roughshod over their competition with strength, athleticism or pure natural talent.

So at the u-17 level I have personally come to attach little value to how well a Ghanaian or Nigerian player does. the u-20 is a better indicator I think.

That said I like quite a few of these Nigerians.

Which of Success, Awoniyi, or Kelechi would you say is the better attacking prospect?

Last edited:

kingWizard

Primavera
Reaction score
Some people think he's age chat. From what I seen he looks 17 and I personally dont think he is. What do you think.......are we dealing with uncle Kanu/Martin situation here?

They've immplemented the MRI scanning now, and I know many questions have been raised about its accuracy, but hopefully these boys are legit u-17 boys.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Thanks so much Jivara..I'm happy for every 'little' victory here in this great country..it hurts when all we are is a reference for every negative thing under the sun :( I'm not exactly a patriot, still I'm not giving up on this country.

One reason why the lower age cadres and the Women's Team do remarkably well in global competitions is because there's considerably less politics involved..the senators and reps and ministers and cabinet members aren't that interested in going to show off and waste taxpayers' money in the hotels in the venue(s), the annoying NFF aren't interested in politicizing every single decision, ethnocentricity doesn't play a role and it's a matter of how good a player is, skillfully and tactically, not how many geopolitical zones here in Nigeria should be represented in the team. Funds and bonuses made available to the players are given to them as soon as necessary, with no corrupt official pocketing a slice of those.

Unfortunately, as we go up the age group element, the publicity increases, and the hungry politican hyenas encircle and strike. So the lads are distracted and can't focus on the football, and the Super Eagles end up disappointing again and again. :'(

With Keshi's appointment as the Senior Team head coach, things have changed a lot though. We've had just two losses ALL YEAR, and those were at the Confederations Cup. :proud:

Nigeria..WE'RE GETTING BETTER!!

Al Ahly..yeah they deserved the win..would've dedicated it to Fifi but he's a Zamalek fan :) either way that's a national honour, all loyalties aside now. :D

Egypt have gone through so much, from Mubarak to Morsi and after. So yes, anything to make our brothers happier. I wonder, how far did Enyimba (Nigeria) or Mazembe (Congo) go in the competition?

Abdul Zaher was an utter disgrace though..fanning the flames of political discord in such a volatile environment? Maybe he was so excited at that point, yeah, but that four-finger salute was in poor taste. Too many deaths already..way too many. :'(

His punishment was a bit too harsh though. All that and he still gets transfer-listed in December/January...

I think this is a reflection of many national teams around the world especially in many developing countries.

I've seen Nigeria's match vs Ethiopia I think you guys are lucky to have such an easy draw but the team needs to improve significantly if they are to leave a good impression at the World Cup.

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Haha I remember Chrisantus. The thing is that African players are so much more athletic (I hope that doesn't sound racist) than others so at the lower agge level where the mental, tactical and strategy part of the game is not so developed they easily run roughshod over their competition with strength, athleticism or pure natural talent.

So at the u-17 level I have personally come to attach little value to how well a Ghanaian or Nigerian player does. the u-20 is a better indicator I think.

That said I like quite a few of these Nigerians.

Which of Success, Awoniyi, or Kelechi would you say is the better attacking prospect?

Woooah, what a handful waiting for me in this thread..ok ok ok. :)

Ummm..are you like REALLY Ghanian? Like Charlie Ghanian? (that's the easiest test, better not fail it :D ) If you are, that's real interesting :proud: ..over the last 3 years since I joined I've seen just a handful of Africans active here..me, Fifi, Great Kalu, neutral, SBW..there are a number of them who bailed out to the other continents and I refuse to call them Africans ;) you better be domiciled in Accra or I kick yo ass off this sacred thread. :tongue:

Your argument is invalid :o and I'm sure it would've had a different tone had Ghana won. Y'all Nigeria haters: Cameroon, Ghana and South Africa. Esp. South Africa y'all always get mad when we win and give them excuses. I was going to cite :star:Pippo's Alleivi Nazionale side. Those boys are so young, all u17. Yet, we and every Calcio team represented in the groups of that youth league play with so much TACTICAL AWARENESS. Just watch one of the games to be sure. It's not a Sunday League thing or a five-aside meet. These lads (from the U17 World Cup) are well-paid professionals playing in the reserve teams of their respective clubs. Some of the local-based players feature already for the first team clubs (in the Nigerian premier league and other first tier leagues elsewhere). If you did see any of the games you'll see some of the strategies on display. It's not simply a case of "meh. Please ref drop the goddamn ball so me and my mates can bully the other team to submission with our physical and aerobic attributes."

And you shouldn't even be propagating the racist trope that African players are more physically advantaged than others. It sounds normal superficially but on later consideration, you know it really is racist. It goes way back to the pseudoscientific anthropologic descriptions of Negroes in the 18th uptil the mid-20th century. You know, microcephalic with strong appendages. :( You get the drift. NVM though. You pick any caucasian and black at random now and there's a 80-20 chance that caucasian would beat up and overcome the black in a mock fight to test raw strength. And possibly in a 10-kilometre run to test raw aerobic build. It's true. We don't have any advantages whatsoever. It's the mental thing that the prejudiced anthropologists of then placed at the back of our minds. There's no evolutionary advantage to back up that racist theory, if I even believe in macroevolution to start with. Micro-, yes. Macro-, uh uh.

I'd say Taiwo Awoniyi has the best potential. :)

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players

The age-cheating thing is not a problem peculiar to Nigerian or African football. I mean, just after Falcao signed for Monaco...remember that incident with his age?? And that was just his birth certificate, not even a scan. Yes. Falcao of all people. It happens EVERYWHERE. A lot of players today have their real age and their 'football age'. The football age is around 2-5 years off. I mean, a LOT of players.

Unfortunately once a Nigerian or African is caught up in such a scandal, the fingers pointing are NUMEROUS, as compared with others. Esp. when that individual is part of a team that just distinguished itself in a competition.

It's the way the world is and I'm not complaining.

Chrisantus was an OBVIOUS age cheat. Kelz OTOH is nothing more than 16. Your scouts should easily verify that from multiple credible sources.

Kanu and Martins? Papilo was an icon for your club. Obafemi was a hardcore striker. No question about their ages because they started petering out at around the normal time for strikers and forwards (mid-30s).

Um there's a correction here..Kanu is legit but Obafemi? Naah..the articles say he's 29 but I'm sure he's like 33 or so. Had to clarify that. :)

Corzioli

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think this is a reflection of many national teams around the world especially in many developing countries.

I've seen Nigeria's match vs Ethiopia I think you guys are lucky to have such an easy draw but the team needs to improve significantly if they are to leave a good impression at the World Cup.

Agree so so much with this esp. the part in boldface. :thumbsup:

kingWizard

Primavera
Reaction score
Woooah, what a handful waiting for me in this thread..ok ok ok. :)

Ummm..are you like REALLY Ghanian? Like Charlie Ghanian? (that's the easiest test, better not fail it :D ) If you are, that's real interesting :proud: ..over the last 3 years since I joined I've seen just a handful of Africans active here..me, Fifi, Great Kalu, neutral, SBW..there are a number of them who bailed out to the other continents and I refuse to call them Africans ;) you better be domiciled in Accra or I kick yo ass off this sacred thread. :tongue:

oga make unna believe me, I be Ghananian tru tru.

Born Ghanaian and currently residing in Accra so there's really no need for you to wear your boot out.:) Hopefully I'll soon get to make the acquaintances of all those 'true' Africans you mentioned above. If they're still active that is.

And as for your little test, even all these West Africans (particularly Nigerians:D. in your face.) who like to pretend they're Ghanaian just so they can participate of our rich history and hopefully our very very distant great future would pass it easily. So I will go a step further and say that even though Charlie is what has nationwide acclaim, in many parts of the country Jack is pretty popular too.

Your argument is invalid :o and I'm sure it would've had a different tone had Ghana won. Y'all Nigeria haters: Cameroon, Ghana and South Africa. Esp. South Africa y'all always get mad when we win and give them excuses. I was going to cite :star:Pippo's Alleivi Nazionale side. Those boys are so young, all u17. Yet, we and every Calcio team represented in the groups of that youth league play with so much TACTICAL AWARENESS. Just watch one of the games to be sure. It's not a Sunday League thing or a five-aside meet. These lads (from the U17 World Cup) are well-paid professionals playing in the reserve teams of their respective clubs. Some of the local-based players feature already for the first team clubs (in the Nigerian premier league and other first tier leagues elsewhere). If you did see any of the games you'll see some of the strategies on display. It's not simply a case of "meh. Please ref drop the goddamn ball so me and my mates can bully the other team to submission with our physical and aerobic attributes."

Huh? Haters? Ghana hate on Nigeria? More like the other way round bro. ;)
But seriously I just think what you might perceive as hate is just a result of strong rivalries. South Africa have the Dstv platform so when they make their critical analysis it seems like their hating on others. I know that sentiment exists in Ghana and the Ivory Coast too. But in 2010 the South African people showed that they were ready to get behind whatever African team was playing. Of course there's always been a slight tension between SA and Naija since the Mandela thing and the CAN withdrawal in '96. As for Cameroun and Ghana I think its down to normal regional rivalries. Ghana and Nigeria being the closest English speaking countries in West Africa, we're like brothers so it's only natural that we have a little sibling rivalry. Cameroun of course are your territorial neighbours and your rises to prominence in the African game occurred at about the same time so its only natural that there be a rivalry.

That said, I feel I should point out that Ghana is ahead of Nigeria in botth head to head matches, and trophies won on the African continent so to be honest the hating is usually coming from your side. :tongue:

And as you probably know we have won the u-17 twice in the past and we celebrated, but we realized over time that success at u-17 did not necessarily translate into senior level success.

As far as the Allievi being tactically sound. I haven't seen anything of them but I don't doubt that they are tactically sound. What I was saying was that, in comparison to senior players, lower age level players are at a low level in terms of tactical play and strategy implementation. Implying that these things improve dramatically with age and experience. Obviously we disagree on that.

I'm however curious to know since you also don't seem to subscribe to the notion that West Africans succeed at age level competitions because they age cheat, what you think the reason is why West African countries, Nigeria, Ghana, and even Burkina Faso and Gambia have had success at lower age levels but not been able to transfer it into senior success.

And you shouldn't even be propagating the racist trope that African players are more physically advantaged than others. It sounds normal superficially but on later consideration, you know it really is racist. It goes way back to the pseudoscientific anthropologic descriptions of Negroes in the 18th uptil the mid-20th century. You know, microcephalic with strong appendages. :( You get the drift. NVM though. You pick any caucasian and black at random now and there's a 80-20 chance that caucasian would beat up and overcome the black in a mock fight to test raw strength. And possibly in a 10-kilometre run to test raw aerobic build. It's true. We don't have any advantages whatsoever. It's the mental thing that the prejudiced anthropologists of then placed at the back of our minds. There's no evolutionary advantage to back up that racist theory, if I even believe in macroevolution to start with. Micro-, yes. Macro-, uh uh.

The only thing I can say in my defence is that I do feel like I'm stronger and more athletic than most other people and I don't find it offfensive if other people point it out/notice it too. But I know what you are saying, and it did feel wrong even whilst I was typing it, so I apologize and take it back.

But while the way I said it may have left a sour taste in the mouth, the fact is that European football clubs do have a preference for (African) players with
superior athletic ability and you could say that, that has somehow led to the typical West African player who is developed with European football in mind, being strong and athletic. That better?

I'd say Taiwo Awoniyi has the best potential. :)

My first pick was Awoniyi too, but given my theory and the fact that Awoniyi is more reliant on physical attributes I think I'd go with Kelechi for now.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
B06LR2gCIAE4cSC.jpg:large

B08IQnACEAADKTk.jpg:large

Senzo Meyiwa: South Africa’s football captain shot dead
National team’s goalkeeper killed after armed men broke into the house where he was staying, say police

The captain of South Africa’s national football team was fatally shot when armed men broke into the house where he was staying, police said.

Goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa was killed around 8pm Sunday after two gunmen entered a house in Vosloorus township, near Johannesburg, while an accomplice waited outside, the national police force said on its Twitter account.

The three assailants then fled on foot, according to the police service, which offered a reward of nearly 153,000 rands (£8,700) for information leading to arrests in the case.

Police said there were seven people in the house during the attack, and that the shooting followed an altercation. Authorities said they would do everything possible to find the killers.

South Africa has a high rate of violent crime, but it was not immediately clear whether the house where Meyiwa was staying was targeted by thieves or gunmen with another motive. Solomon Makgale, a police spokesman, declined to comment, referring Associated Press to updates on the police Twitter account.

Meyiwa’s club, Orlando Pirates, said in a statement that it “has learned with sadness about the untimely death of our number one goalkeeper and current captain Senzo Meyiwa”.

This is a sad loss whichever way you look at it to Senzo’s family, his extended family, Orlando Pirates and to the nation,” the chairman, Irvin Khoza, said.

Meyiwa, 27, was South Africa’s captain in its four qualifiers for the African Cup of Nations this year, including its last game, a 0-0 draw with Democratic Republic of Congo on 15 October. He played for the Pirates on Saturday in a 4-1 win over Ajax Cape Town.

It was the second death to hit the nation’s sports world in three days, as former 800m world champion runner Mbulaeni Mulaudzi was killed in a car crash on Friday. At the time, the president, Jacob Zuma, said “the nation has lost a true hero”.

Early on Monday local time, the youth league of South Africa’s ruling party sent condolences to the families of Meyiwa and Mulaudzi, saying “their premature passing is indeed a great loss to the country and sporting nation”.

Meyiwa’s international team-mate Dean Furman, who plays for Doncaster Rovers, tweeted: “Beyond devastated at the loss of our captain & friend Senzo Meyiwa. thoughts & prayers are with his family & friends at this terrible time.

Darren Keet, a fellow goalkeeper who plays for Belgian club KV Kortrijk and the national side, offered his deepest condolences to Meyiwa’s family and friends.
He wrote: “Deeply saddening to hear this news about our captain and friend”, adding that Meyiwa would be “missed, but never forgotten”. He said Meyiwa’s killing was sad for South Africa.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
AFCON 2015 on the horizon ... unfortunately our unusual political instability is mirroring the usual managerial instability of Zambian football. I think we're in trouble pitted up against Cape Verde, Tunisia and most importantly DRC.

RSA also up against Senegal, Algeria and Ghana with Ivory Coast and Camerooon favorites against Guinea and Mali.

Defending champs Nigeria failed to make it.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Ridiculous penalty given to Equatorial Guinea in injury time vs Tunisia. The free kick that gave them the lead was beautiful though. This game still reeks of corruption, Tunisia were much better throughout the match.

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That was a disgrace , one of the worst PK calls I have ever seen and the FK call was wrong as well.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Yes, it was robbery all through. The ref even ended the game before ET injury time despite a fight breaking out just before that. When Eq. Guinea took the lead he kept giving. Them fouls to kill the tempo.

It's a shame because this Tunisian team is really good.