The Red & Black Forums - View Single Post - Argentine Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2015, 02:35   #65
Australiano1980
StarWars VIII

Fav. Players: Van Basten, Maldini, Savicevic, Baresi, Desailly, Gullit, Romario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan_Somewhere View Post
Zico and Socrates are two of my favorite footballers but I can't put them above Maradona for the following reasons.

Overall in his career Maradona took teams to the next level consistently in comparison to Zico who helped Flamengo more than Brazil. That Brazil team of 1982 was very talented and should have reached the final but the players didn?t perform well enough against Italy. Gentile specifically marked Zico out of the game.

Anyways on to Maradona. The year Maradona started his career in Argentinos Juniors (1976) the club was fighting to avoid relegation. In 1977 they finished 9th (Diego established himself as a starter at the age of 17); in 1978 they finished 5th; in 1979 they finished 2nd (though it was done in a groups format, so it was 2nd only of the group), and in 1980 Argentinos was title runner-up (back to the normal league format). So you see he carried Argentinos starting at the age of 18. What was more incredible is that he kept Argentinos competing the whole season against giants like River and Boca. For a low-budget team like Argentinos it was an unexpected and truly amazing performance since they were more used to struggling against relegation every year than competing for a title.

Maradona then signs with Boca the next year (1981) and obtains the league title with them before leaving Argentina at the age of 21 to play the next 10 years in Europe. He transferred to Barcelona for a world record fee in 1982 and again broke the world record fee when he moves to Napoli in 1984 (being the only player to ever break a transfer fee twice). In the Argentinian league, Maradona was a more deadly goalscorer than playmaker. Then Maradona played between the ages of 24 and 31 in Italy where he was more of a playmaker than goalscorer. VERY complete attacking player.

The season previous to Maradona's arrival Napoli finishes in the 11th place with 26 points (7 games won and 11 games lost). The first season with Maradona in the squad Napoli finishes in the 8th place with 33 points (10 games won and 7 lost). The following season Napoli is 3rd before reaching the title in 1987. In 1988 Napoli is second only to Milan, in 1989 they are second only to Inter and in 1990 they are champions again. In those years Napoli and Maradona had to compete against Platini's Juventus, Sacchi's Milan, and two very strong Inter and Roma teams. I mean people tend to think Maradona only did wonders for Argentina and Napoli but he has consistently performed for every team. Even in Barcelona he scored 38 goals in 58 games before he got kicked out for fighting players from Atletico Bilbao. Honestly anyone would be angry if they got tackled as violently as Maradona did by Olaskoaga (Butcher of Bilbao).

Overall Maradona was more influential than Zico was for many teams and was much more clutch. He carried Argentina to the final in 1986 and helped them reach the final in 1990 with his assists. One of his best assists ever came against Brazil as well.

People can hate Maradona as a person because of his drug addictions but as a footballer he was extraordinary. Yeah he had two hand ball incidents but he still was able to carry a team based on skill and not cheating. Idk if people realize this but cocaine makes your body weak and would have lowered his performances drastically. However, Maradona was able to play at a high level consistently. People say cocaine enhanced his performances but it didn't. If he never did cocaine he would have been an even greater player. So as much as I like Zico; I can't say he is individually better than Maradona.
in numbers maradona stay even more behind.. u see

maradona is way more charismatic/midiatic.. always in the midia kicking and shooting reporters and all that.. he is a midia man.. loves to show up.. if he was a real problematic player would be dead already or atleast in gazza's situation.

im not saying he was a terrible players.. he was a realy realy good one.. but not better than romario and zico.. if he had better numbers i would put him on the same level. is just my opinion.. i was lucky enough to watch all 3 playing.

Quote:
I know. But he said Socrates was the brain of the 1982 side and I said Zico should have still been able to carry that very talented Brazil side. Romario I wouldn't dare compare to Maradona for 3 reasons: Romario did not have a long peak at a high level, arrogant and undisciplined (refused to train at times and was lazy), and not a consistent clutch big game player.
i said falcao(the king of rome) not socrates

romario was decisive.. look at his average goal per game anywhere he played.. because of 94' finals nobody cant say that he is a flop in finals..

the man lead brasil to a world cup, 2 american cups.. thanx to him we played the world cup in 1994... he came for the last match and we need to beat uruguay in maracana and he came and resolved

zico was unlucky against the catenaccio in 1982.. tough lucky.. but the team make history

Quote:
UCL final 1994 and World Cup 1994. Romario was nowhere to be seen bro. Don't get me wrong he was a smart and lethal striker but inconsistent and wasn't good in finals.
romario lead brasil to a 1 world cup, 2 american cups.. thanx to him we played the world cup in 1994... he came for the last match we needed to beat uruguay in maracana, the team were terrible.. he came and resolved.. in world cup finals-eight against usa assisted bebeto.. semi finals against a giant defense of sweden he scored a header.. quarters-finals against holand.. brasil from 1994 was pretty average, i mean who are mazinho and zinho?
i you what i mean?

shame that romario broke his leg in 1989 and was fit for 1990 world cup.. played only one game

Quote:
I know Italy deserved it bro. They were more decisive and scored first too. Scirea is a player I've come to respect a lot. He isn't your typical dirty Juventus defender like Gentile. Nonetheless Gentile had a great world cup in 1982 and was better than Scirea. However, I was just making a point to Australiano that Zico played with great players like Socrates, Falcao, Eder, Junior, and Luisinho whereas Maradona didn't have that kind of talent in his Argentina team but still won the world cup.
pumpido was a great keeper.. rugerri was a rock.. burruchaga a great striker, argentina didnt won a world cup for free.. maradona had his moment but the team was pretty good..
like i said in only 7 games even toto schilacci can shine.. paolo rossi needed just 1 game in 1982..

career for career, romario and zico where better.

put on this days.. maradona is just a bad boy neymarketing.

Signature
Australiano1980 is offline   Reply With Quote