Week 1: Udinese - Milan 25/08/19 18:00 CET

Oedipus

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Excessive meltdown.
Rr, Hakan, Borini, Musa, Samu and hopefully Suso are not gonna start much this season.
We'll be fine.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
The sensible thing is to wait and watch what happens over the next week. I'm holding on to the thought that Giampaolo is sending a signal to Maldini and Boban.

It doesn't make any sense to sign Giampaolo to play a 4-3-3.

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
IMG-20190825-212910.jpg

Watching that today I already want him sacked. Overreaction probably but man it was laughable-so amateur

he's a calshio maestro

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I wish I knew how to make videos and edit them to explain tbh

You're one of my favourite posters and a great analyst, but I think I'm convinced Hakan is your son or something :D as I don't think you are being as objective as you usually are for whatever reason when it comes to him

I mentioned those other guys failings in another post above but had to disagree with you that Hakan was ok. He was poor and not suited to the role and didn't interpret it properly.

As far as Giampaolo scrapping the 4312.....I actually don't mind that he recognises the issues of trying to fit square pegs into round holes and is willing to be tactically flexible rather than be one of those philosopher type coaches who don't adapt at all. It would have been nice if he experimented with other systems in preseason rather than playing one and then deciding to change after the first competitive game.

I appreciate your respect (I don't think I've earned it) and thank you for it.

As far as Hakan, man, I could do the same thing. The reason I defend Hakan is because I don't see him as the problem. I just don't. He does little things that I know my coaches always highlighted as the right thing to do.

I don't think Hakan is the quality of a player for a club like Milan. To be honest, only Donna and Romagnoli have shown that consistently.

However, I still think he has talent. I think he plays smart, and does the right thing. I also think he's always played out of position, including LCM, as he's a natural CAM. That we don't play him there, infuriates me, but also, he does his job. I also think he gets way more shit than he deserves.

As far Giampaolo... Yes, it's good to be able to switch formations. If we need to go 4-3-3, cool, but he's talking about changing the formation of the team, and he talked about "I'm starting the players that know my tactics" and we've been sold the entire summer, "Giampaolo is a MASTER TACTICIAN!"

This guy is supposed to be Sarri's heir. Sacchi loves him. Boban and Maldini have talked about how much they wanted him (as they should) so it's weird that he fucked up this bad. And he shouldn't be saying: "maybe we should change everything that we're doing!"

Of course he needs to have Plan B, C, etc, and I'm sure he does, but you can't talk about how awesome Suso is when he plays like that. He needs to win, there's no way around it, and with the Derby coming up so soon, he can't be experimenting now.

The whole pre-season was him trying out dumb shit. The defense is fine, even with Calabria's horrible game, and the midfield is doing fine, not great, but fine, the issue is the attack.

campsfield68

Faizan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Too many to name :D
simone inzaghi is 10 times better coach than this sarri wannabe

he spent whole pre season implementing 4-3-1-2 and bullshitting about how good suso is at CAM role and now he is saying that suso is RW and he might switch to 4-3-3 ... seems like a big fuck up from coach and management

they should just have given gattuso some decent wingers and he would have achieved CL football

campsfield68

Faizan
Reaction score
Fav. Players

As far as Hakan, man, I could do the same thing. The reason I defend Hakan is because I don't see him as the problem. I just don't. He does little things that I know my coaches always highlighted as the right thing to do.

I don't think Hakan is the quality of a player for a club like Milan. To be honest, only Donna and Romagnoli have shown that consistently.

However, I still think he has talent. I think he plays smart, and does the right thing. I also think he's always played out of position, including LCM, as he's a natural CAM. That we don't play him there, infuriates me, but also, he does his job. I also think he gets way more shit than he deserves.

As far Giampaolo... Yes, it's good to be able to switch formations. If we need to go 4-3-3, cool, but he's talking about changing the formation of the team, and he talked about "I'm starting the players that know my tactics" and we've been sold the entire summer, "Giampaolo is a MASTER TACTICIAN!"

This guy is supposed to be Sarri's heir. Sacchi loves him. Boban and Maldini have talked about how much they wanted him (as they should) so it's weird that he fucked up this bad. And he shouldn't be saying: "maybe we should change everything that we're doing!"

Of course he needs to have Plan B, C, etc, and I'm sure he does, but you can't talk about how awesome Suso is when he plays like that. He needs to win, there's no way around it, and with the Derby coming up so soon, he can't be experimenting now.

The whole pre-season was him trying out dumb shit. The defense is fine, even with Calabria's horrible game, and the midfield is doing fine, not great, but fine, the issue is the attack.

they won't be here longer if it continues like this ... all the big teams will be circling around them come the winter market or next summer ... i can see romagnoli going to juve and donna going to psg/man u next summer if we don't get CL football

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
Massimiliano Allegri or Gennaro Ivan Gattuso

We don't deserve to get sick because of impostor's pseudo tactics

remote2book

Sea206
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Inzaghi, kaka, T.silva, seedorf

100% this, I was hoping GP realized this in pre-season and just unleash a combination of A.Silva-Leao-Piatek instead we got Samu.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Going back to 4.3.3 with Suso ?
Fuck that.
Samu & Suso should be sold asap, for whatever price.
GP should bensh + tell them to fuck off so they jump ship if they have dignity.
Hakan , Borini on the bench to be used as a last resort.
Krunic better step up.

As i said before , AM & SS are a must.
If only a SS was bought then to try Paq , Bennacer or Jack as AM.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Marco Giampaolo (Milan)
“Aside from the result, because losing is never good, clearly the game didn’t give me many positive indications,” Giampaolo told Sky Sport Italia.

“You can usually read what the team does well or less well. I go beyond the result and will try to analyse deeper on how the match progressed, our interpretation of certain tactics and different characteristics.

“There are many things here that I need to reflect on. Possession needs to develop into attacking moves more, but it probably wasn’t our fault as such, but rather because Udinese have certain characteristics when defending that make it difficult to play against.

“I reflect on the game, on the ability of the three upfront to develop what I want to see, or if perhaps I am trying to get them to do something that just isn’t in their nature.

“My vision of Milan is very different. It’s not just Suso and Castillejo, but Piatek too. He has the movements of a centre-forward.

“Suso is an extraordinary player, but he probably has different characteristics and we need to get them to play in their natural roles. We’ll have to work on it and certainly in a different way, probably 4-3-3.

“It’s not their fault, they have tried really hard, but I mustn’t try to transform their very nature. That is not my job. I have to make the most of these players and their qualities.

“Until today, we didn’t see that so clearly. I thought at the start that it was just Suso becoming a trequartista, but we have to look beyond that, take some principles and try to completely reorganise everything upfront.

“Even if we had won the game, that would be the case. We are sterile, I don’t like the movements in attack, this team is not suited to this football.”

So in conclusion... we're switching back to 4-3-3 because he just realized the team isn't built for a 4-3-1-2....

We're switching back to 4-3-3 but we only have a week or so to go in the transfer market and we don't have a left winger yet...

We're switching back to 4-3-3 with a coach who has never played with that formation...

We're abandoning 'the professor's' system after the first league game of the season...

Sounds like we have a clear plan guys... looking forward to to a wonderful season ahead...

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
All this for one game? Relax, sit back and watch this team get better for each match day.

But it just feels like last season. Dropping essential points that are required to get a top 4 finish. Performance was awful, but I had no real hopes for this season. 90 million spent on players that don't really excite me.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
As for the coach I’m glad he’s not stubborn & has more than one system. I always think its better to find system that suits your players, rather than try & change players to fit a particular system.

campsfield68

Faizan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As for the coach I’m glad he’s not stubborn & has more than one system. I always think its better to find system that suits your players, rather than try & change players to fit a particular system.

changing system is fine but was the coach doing all pre-season

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If GP goes back to 4-3-3 because of Suso, I'll rethink about everything positive I ever said about GP.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
its not fucking fifa. its the league ffs. how is our coach not trying any other formation preseason? come 1st game and he experiments with hakan as regista too when we just bought one. and magically realizes after the 1st game that we need to change formation? guess what, transfer targets too..comedy.
this interview, though honest, is giving maldoban a headache.

Our coach only knows one formation.

Well we could see very well the game vs cesena was atrocious. Yet, he didn't learn. He started the same players that played against cesena except Biglia.

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
If GP goes back to 4-3-3 because of Suso, I'll rethink about everything positive I ever said about GP.

Agree. I dont understand his fetish for Suso. We almost sold him earlier. Our coach shut it down after Suso scored in the friendlies and played well supposedly.
Even he played well in the friendlies, i think we could see very well that he only played well for himself not the team. Piatek got no service from him.

Nirvana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Perhaps we might switch to 433 till the new signings aren't integrated to his 4312 formation? All of our starters were from last season, and some of them clearly cannot adapt to 433.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Even to have mentioned 4-3-3 is extraordinary. If it's a message to the directors then I'm sure that won't be appreciated and it will also look stupid if/when you persist with 4-3-1-2.

If it's a genuine statement then:

Why did you not try it even once in pre-season?

Why have you let the entirety of the mercato proceed with the idea of building a squad for 4-3-1-2?

Why would you now put the directors (who fly tomorrow to Madrid for possibly the last big summits of the mercato) in the position of now needing to acquire a player of a profile they hadn't even been considering?

Given that you don't like to field players who haven't had much time to adapt to a system, why would you now need to get a new player in who you presumably won't want to field for several weeks?

Also given that, why would you now start changing system after the season has started?

Why were you not able to realise until after failing in the first competitive game the characteristics of the players who you have been training for many weeks and presumably studied in the preceding seasons?

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Perhaps we might switch to 433 till the new signings aren't integrated to his 4312 formation? All of our starters were from last season, and some of them clearly cannot adapt to 433.

I suppose so. But saying Suso is extraordinary and Samu interprets what I tell him best then it sounds like a Samu-Piatek-Suso front 3 with inadequate back-up on the wide positions (Samu obviously being inadequate in the first place) and an over-abundance of more central midfielders.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^ jup, this interview really sets me off. He's looking very surprised that not only the players he trained for a whole preseason aren't adapted to a certain type of football he wants to play - well, we all knew that - but moreover that they never will be. That's not encouraging at all. I mean what the fuck. Does it mean we just wasted an entire pre season being patient with that new system only to screw it all after one league game? Is it that what GP is trying to tell us?

mumbojumbo

Special Guy
Reaction score
Even to have mentioned 4-3-3 is extraordinary. If it's a message to the directors then I'm sure that won't be appreciated and it will also look stupid if/when you persist with 4-3-1-2.

If it's a genuine statement then:

Why did you not try it even once in pre-season?

Why have you let the entirety of the mercato proceed with the idea of building a squad for 4-3-1-2?

Why would you now put the directors (who fly tomorrow to Madrid for possibly the last big summits of the mercato) in the position of now needing to acquire a player of a profile they hadn't even been considering?

Given that you don't like to field players who haven't had much time to adapt to a system, why would you now need to get a new player in who you presumably won't want to field for several weeks?

Also given that, why would you now start changing system after the season has started?

Why were you not able to realise until after failing in the first competitive game the characteristics of the players who you have been training for many weeks and presumably studied in the preceding seasons?

Valid ànd smart points.

Cant believe he mentioned going to 4 3 3. That just looks very stupid.

Just bench your mediocre players. See what the better players can do before mentioning 4 3 3.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The Udinese player slapping Piatek should have been red-carded. I don‘t know how that can be anything but a red card, it‘s not about the intensity, it‘s sbout the ill spirited nature of the action. Piatek was sitting on the ground, there was no play, no movement, no excuse at all ....

remote2book

Sea206
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Inzaghi, kaka, T.silva, seedorf
The Udinese player slapping Piatek should have been red-carded. I don‘t know how that can be anything but a red card, it‘s not about the intensity, it‘s sbout the ill spirited nature of the action. Piatek was sitting on the ground, there was no play, no movement, no excuse at all ....

I thought they'd at least look at it on VAR :fp:

Teigen_K

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Rino Pippo Sheva

Tbh, he deserved a slap after that dive. Reminded me of Gila. Glad it wasnt on the world stage of CL.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I think the statements are all connected to the mercato, in some mysterious way.

If not the statements look moronic.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Tbh, he deserved a slap after that dive. Reminded me of Gila. Glad it wasnt on the world stage of CL.

Agreed.

I didn't know where to look when it happened. I thought he was a tough guy but that looked fucking pathetic.

Schedule