Milan's History Thread

Sidd

सिद्धर्&
Reaction score
AC Milan History

The history of the red-black stripes shirts is one of the less known by the fans. The man responsible for the look of the AC Milan shirt was Herbert Kilpin, one of the Englishman who established AC Milan. Kilpin inspired himself from the English sides shirts, who most of them had at that time a shirt with stripes and a badge with a cross on a background. That's why the Milan badge represents a red cross on a white background.

The twenty years fascist rule imposed Milan to wear a white shirt with two vertical stripes, one black and one red, running down in the center of it. In 1942 the club changed the shirt again, now numbering five vertical red and black stripes.

Kilpin' s original shirt reappeared in two occasions. In 1962 when it was worn with a black collar and in 1978 with a v-neck.

In 1981 Milan was the first team who printed their player names on the back of the shirts. In the same season the club introduced on the shirt a devil image on the right breast. Later on was first introduced a sponsor name on the shirt.

The goalkeeper shirt was usually black, to intimidate the "enemies", but in 1999 a yellow shirt was worn to remember about the winning of the tenth title.

In the centenarial year, 1999, the shirt of Kilpin was re-introduced, with the star on the chest (one star is awarded when the team wins its tenth title and so on) and on each part that covers the arms they stitched a centenarial badge. This shirt was availble only for only one year (16/12/1999 - 16/12/2000).

source-->http://www.acmilan-online.com/
i always wondered what the heck was an english flag doing in an italian club's flag ,now this makes sense :D
also thought if any1 had some old facts about milan's proud :proud: past could post it here :)

Adri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Boban, van Basten, Kaka, Sheva, Etxeberria,Guerrero
This is not the english flag on Milan's shirts, the red cross rappresents the crest of the city of Milano.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
AC Milan is an Italian football club. Based in Milan, Lombardy, they play in red-and-black stripes and black shorts ( the same as Bohemian F.C. ), giving them the nickname rossoneri ("red-blacks"). One of the most successful clubs in the World, they have won the prestigious European Cup 6 times (second only to Real Madrid), Serie A 17 times (only rivals Juventus have more Scudettos) and Coppa Italia five times. It is also one of the most supported football clubs in the world.

The club was founded in 1899 as the Milan Cricket and Football Club by Alfred Edwards and Herbert Kilpin, British expatriates. In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano; it should be noted that the current Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lahn.

The team's current stadium is the 85,700 seater Giuseppe Meazza, also known as the San Siro. The stadium is shared with Internazionale (also known as "Inter"), the other major football club in Milan. AC Milan supporters use "San Siro" to refer to the stadium because Meazza was a star player for Inter.

Historically, AC Milan (usually referred to as "Mìlan" in Italy) was supported by the city's working classes and trade unionists, while Inter was mainly supported by the more prosperous. However, in recent years, the clubs have seen a significant reversal in supporter bases, since Milan is now owned by media magnate and current conservative Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, while Inter is now owned by a centre-left oil businessman, Massimo Moratti.

Perhaps AC Milan's greatest period of success was in the late 1980s and early 1990s, triumphing in the European Champions League in 1989, 1990 and 1994 as well as a brace of domestic league titles and various other prizes. During this time, the rossoneri came to be known as 'Gli Invicibili' the Invincibles - as proven by an unprecedented 58 match run with no defeats; their 1992 Scudetto triumph came without a single defeat - to this day a feat which has not been repeated. The Invincibili team had the likes of Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini commanding possibly one of the best defences in history alongside the Dutch trio of Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard and Marco Van Basten rounding out the attack. AC Milan was crowned European champions in 1969 when Cesare Maldini, current skipper, Paolo's father was in the side. More recently, AC Milan have attempted to recapture their glory days with two domestic titles in 1999 and 2004 and a sixth Champions League trophy in 2003. In 2005, AC Milan let a 3-0 lead in their Champions League Final slip to a 3-3 draw before losing on penalties against FC Liverpool of England. This was the first time that AC Milan had lost in a European Final while playing in their away strip (all-white).

On 19 December 2005, Milan Vice-President/CEO, Adriano Galliani announced that the team is seriously working to move out from San Siro. He said that Milan's new stadium will be largely based on Schalke Arena and following the standards of football stadia in America, Germany, and Spain. Most likely it will be a stadium for football purpose only (without the athletic tracks). The new stadium's name will be given to the sponsors.

from wikipedia

Sidd

सिद्धर्&
Reaction score
how did Inter pop-up in Milan,when AcMilan were going so strong? :conf:

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
sidd@acmilan said:
how did Inter pop-up in Milan,when AcMilan were going so strong? :conf:
I think Milan going to strong is maybe at 1950-1960, at that time, there are 3 Sweden players, they are very storng. One of them is a great strikers !!!! But in fact, his job is a fire-fighter !!!!!:D

Adri

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Boban, van Basten, Kaka, Sheva, Etxeberria,Guerrero
The article from Wikipedia is wrong! The loss against Liverpool wasn't the first loss with the all white strip: in the 1993 CL final Milan lost against Ajax (0-1, Kluivert) while playing in the all white strip!

ambro_forever

амброси&
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ambrosini maldini sheva kala billy albertini leonardo
Adri said:
in the 1993 CL final Milan lost against Ajax (0-1, Kluivert) while playing in the all white strip!
:o

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino
veljo said:
He makes a mistake, that is in 1995. In 1993, Milan lost a French club. But at the end of that year, because the French club cheat so they had to go to Serie B. By the way, i want to know who makes Basten injured in 1993:mad: , does the defender is Bolly ???? :conf:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Yuchen Li said:
He makes a mistake, that is in 1995. In 1993, Milan lost a French club. But at the end of that year, because the French club cheat so they had to go to Serie B. By the way, i want to know who makes Basten injured in 1993:mad: , does the defender is Bolly ???? :conf:

Yeah, that was Olympique Marseille. As for Basile Boli, true he was hard on MvBasten on that final (He also scored the winning goal. As a Milan fans, you can't help but really hate him on this game). A particularly rough tackle from behind sent MvB to the ground clutching his ankle in agony. In today's standard it would've been a straight red, but he only received a yellow. He also blocked MvB's volley effort, but unfortulately the stud also caught MvB's ankle who went down, massaging his ankle and at the same time shooting a worried look towards the bench.

MvB just got back from a 3-4 month injury but Capello wanted him to play that night, which was normal considering he was the FIFA Player of the Year. But in a sensible point of view, I think it would be better if JP Papin was fielded. He was fresher and had a decent season.

But Basile Boli wasn't the only brute that caused early retirement. There were others (most notably Vierchowod and Jurgen Kohler) that gave him worse treatment during his Serie A days.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
Yeah, that was Olympique Marseille. As for Basile Boli, true he was hard on MvBasten on that final (He also scored the winning goal. As a Milan fans, you can't help but really hate him on this game). A particularly rough tackle from behind sent MvB to the ground clutching his ankle in agony. In today's standard it would've been a straight red, but he only received a yellow. He also blocked MvB's volley effort, but unfortulately the stud also caught MvB's ankle who went down, massaging his ankle and at the same time shooting a worried look towards the bench.

MvB just got back from a 3-4 month injury but Capello wanted him to play that night, which was normal considering he was the FIFA Player of the Year. But in a sensible point of view, I think it would be better if JP Papin was fielded. He was fresher and had a decent season.

But Basile Boli wasn't the only brute that caused early retirement. There were others (most notably Vierchowod and Jurgen Kohler) that gave him worse treatment during his Serie A days.
Thank you. We cannot only blame Boli because other defenders injure Basten and it accomulate so at finally, Basten has to retired when he was very young.

I don't think Boli is very good. I think at that time, the most important defender in Olympique Marseille is Desilly, and we get him in the next season. He also scored 4th goal when Milan 4-0 Barcerona, did you remember that goal, very curve, a good banana ball !

But i am very strange in 1998, Desilly is very good and why Milan sell him ??? Milan sell some important defenders, for example, Milan sell Sala. Why Milan sell Sala ??? Do you know Sala, his number is 24, he is one of the member that help Milan win the 1999 Serie A.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Yuchen Li said:
I don't think Boli is very good. I think at that time, the most important defender in Olympique Marseille is Desilly, and we get him in the next season. He also scored 4th goal when Milan 4-0 Barcerona, did you remember that goal, very curve, a good banana ball !

Whether Boli was good or not is debatable but OM that year was very good (Deschamp, Abedi Pele, Voeller, Barthez, Sauzee). And Desailly didn't even play in that final and he is not a defender, he played in midfield alongside Albertini. And of course any self-respecting Milan fans must know his goal in CL 94 that made me jumping up and down.

Yuchen Li said:
But i am very strange in 1998, Desilly is very good and why Milan sell him ??? Milan sell some important defenders, for example, Milan sell Sala. Why Milan sell Sala ??? Do you know Sala, his number is 24, he is one of the member that help Milan win the 1999 Serie A.

Because he was getting old. If you notice in Milan (and French national team) he played in midfield but after moving to Chelsea he played as a center back along with his countryman Frank Lebouf. He continued to play in this position in French national team. And it is very normal if anybody who were in Milan in season 96/97 and 97/98 would want to leave Milan since the club was sinking.

Luigi Sala as important defenders? You've got to be kidding me. Did you actually watch him play? That's like saying Coloccini and Roque Junior are good defenders. Sala is a mediocre defender at best. Yes he was in the team that won the 99 scudetto but he looked decent defending the right side because he had Thomas Helveg covering him.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wikipedia isn't entirely accurate, since readers are allowed to edit articles.

Yuchen Li

58 unbeaten !
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gaizka22 said:
Because he was getting old. If you notice in Milan (and French national team) he played in midfield but after moving to Chelsea he played as a center back along with his countryman Frank Lebouf. He continued to play in this position in French national team. And it is very normal if anybody who were in Milan in season 96/97 and 97/98 would want to leave Milan since the club was sinking..
But in 1999, Desalliy was 30 years old, as a DM or CB, he is not so old. He can continue to play maybe 3 years and has good condition in these 3 years. I don't think Desailly wants to leave Milan, he doesn't care money and the champion ( because he had been got Serie A and CL in Milan ). Maybe this is because Milan didn't think he can play as the CB !

L
gaizka22 said:
luigi Sala as important defenders? You've got to be kidding me. Did you actually watch him play? That's like saying Coloccini and Roque Junior are good defenders. Sala is a mediocre defender at best. Yes he was in the team that won the 99 scudetto but he looked decent defending the right side because he had Thomas Helveg covering him.
I had watch some Milan's games in that time. I feel Sala is good at heading, and his teamwork is very excellent. I think Milan sell him because Milan get Laursen, but in fact, if Sala can still in Milan, maybe he will become a famous defender !!!

Ok, we stop talking about Desailly and Sala. In my opinion, defense is very important in Italian Serie A. This is why Juventus can get a lot of champion in these 8 years. I feel after 1999, Milan didn't have good central defenders until Nesta come, do you think so ???

Reaction score
History of logo

May i know story about milan logo?
why oval, use a cross, or etc?
thx

MaGasTeR

Pride of Yorkshire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Kewell, Kaka, A. Smith, Nesta, Bowyer, Rino, Viduka, Sheva, Rob. Keane, Gila, Harte, Maldini
jamzer said:
May i know story about milan logo?
why oval, use a cross, or etc?
thx
i don't know why is it oval, but the cross on the badge is the cross of Saint George (the same on England's flag) because the found of the club (Alfred Edwards) was english. Red and black stripes, the club colours, ACM initials, 1899 year of foundation.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
"The AC Milan football club was estabilished on the 16th of December 1899, its parents being three Englishman, Kilpin, Allison and Davies. They came to the idea when they were at a pint of beer, and they proposed it to two bussinesmen, Edwards and Nathan, and to another person, Mr. Barnett. Edwards was to become the first club president ever of the new Milan Cricket and Football Club.

The club aimed to play cricket as much as they could and to promote the game of football, not so popular in those times. In the first board of directors was also Pierro Pirelli, one of the future presidents of the club and also one of its most important historical figures. The establishment of the club spread into the city and Milan started to gain more and more supporters.

The new club registered with the IFF (Italian Football Federation) and, to take part in the championship, they needed a pitch for the home matches. The site was found: the place of today's central station, Trotter. There was an open countryside field at that time there.

The opening match was played against another team from Milan named Mediolanum. The game was played on the 11th of March 1900 and Milan started its history with a great 3-0 win. The first team who played for AC Milan was: Hoode, Cignaghi, Torretta, Lees, Kilpin, Valerio, Dubini, Davies, Neville, Allison, Formenti. You can see here that three of them were the club establishers , Kilpin, Allison and Davies. Although the 3-0 win was a good score for their morale, the Devils first official match, who was played on 15 April 1900 against FC Torino, was lost with 3-0.

The first captain in AC Milan's history was Herbert Kilpin, one of the founders and through the club's best players. In the early Milan days you needed to be a member of the club. The fees were 20 lira and 12 lira for the students. The punishment for the players who had forgotten to pay was the interdiction to train. The first title for AC Milan was won in their second year of activity, 1901
."

Today is an appropriate date to start this thread, as not only we have become the most successful club in the world, but also it's our 108 birthday. :star:

Remember the first time you saw Milan? The moment you knew they were the team you love? The first time you went to San Siro? That game that will always be in your heart? Those dark days in which we went to Serie B, navigated in the 10/11 spot of the Serie A table, didn't show a sign of improvement earky this millenium (and if you are really old, those 40 years without Lo Scudetto)? Remember the Gre-No-Li, the Dutch Trio and the Ka-Ro-Oli :-)D)?Don't remember them or you didn't lived them but you just wanna talk about them (+ other anecdotes + interesting facts about Milan)...then this is the special thread dedicated to AC Milan's history.

Keep in mind that there's a thread for the ex-Milan players .

Two special videos:

And this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2gVBehaDtA&feature=related

Last edited:

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
nice thread..
the 2nd video isn`t working for me..

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
One curious note about the 89 Champions Cup Final vs Steaua Bucharest at the Nou Camp. Aside from the 4-0 trashing, the game was also remembered for the mass exodus of Milan fans when 90,000 fans decended to Barcelona, using boat, train, cars and planes.

In that game there were less than 300 Steaua fans attending the match because the then-Communist government was afraid that many will try to deflect to the free world.

Another factor that led to the stadium being totally red (see highlights of the game, especially MvBasten's celebrating the 4th goal by running around the touchoine and you understand what I mean) was because Barcelona people (people from the host city usually received certain allocation) were more than happy to give their tickets to Milan fans who demolished their lifetime rival Real Madrid in the semis. Their main newspaper had this headline after Milan trashed Madrid: "They will not desecrate our ground".

Imagine being one of 300 Steaua fans there. You're surrounded by 90,000 fans from the opposing team and you had to ensure watching your team soundly and totally beaten :D

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
^Appreciate the insight. I've seen footage of that unbelievable spectacle. It's something that we will never witness again in the UCL.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
What happened to the cricket side of the club. You would've bet that Cricket would've atleast been known to Italians, ha!

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
Another factor that led to the stadium being totally red (see highlights of the game, especially MvBasten's celebrating the 4th goal by running around the touchoine and you understand what I mean) was because Barcelona people (people from the host city usually received certain allocation) were more than happy to give their tickets to Milan fans who demolished their lifetime rival Real Madrid in the semis. Their main newspaper had this headline after Milan trashed Madrid: "They will not desecrate our ground".
That and them probably still feeling bitter about Steaua's victory in Sevilla two years before.

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Is AC MILAN the best soccer club ever ??

Look what I have found out from our MILAN chat room !! BTW, this article is old and haven't taken the success of our UEFA SuperCopa success and of course, our World Club Cup success !!

I am not sure whether this article belongs to this thread or not but in anyway, I am gonna post this article in this thread.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/05/24/194812.php
Written by Alessandro Nicolo
Published May 24, 2007

I know. Big title. Big question. Sigh, such a sniveling little mind.
Following AC Milan's 2-1 victory over Liverpool in the 2007 Champions League final yesterday, a few things ran around in this hyperactive ho's head.
First among them - I don't think people want to read about how to make Milanese risotto - is the case for AC Milan as possibly the most successful European side in history. Now before all you Real Madrid fans begin to pull out your slick hair, hear me out. I'm talking strictly in the major tournaments here. Let's leave the domestic aspect out of this shall we?
Indeed, in a poll taken a few years back Real Madrid was named the team of the century and very few people can dispute the storied glory and aura of Real Madrid.

Champions League table since 1989 for top European sides (minimum one victory):
AC Milan (Italy) 5-3
Real Madrid (Spain) 3-0
Barcelona (Spain) 2-1
Juventus (Italy) 1-3
Liverpool (England) 1-1
Ajax (Netherlands) 1-1
Bayern Munich (Germany) 1-1
Porto (Portugal) 1-0
Manchester United (England) 1-0

All-time (minimum four appearances)
Real Madrid (Spain) 9-3
AC Milan (Italy) 7-4
Liverpool (England) 5-2
Bayern Munich (Germany) 4-3
Ajax (Netherlands) 4-2
Juventus (Italy) 2-5
Benfica (Portugal) 2-4
Barcelona (Spain) 2-3
Internazionale Milano (Italy) 2-2

From 1955 to 1960 Real Madrid won five straight Champions League finals - a feat not likely to be replicated. Since then, Bayern Munich has come closest with three successive titles between 1974 and 1976. Not even the magnificent Milanese clubs of the late 80s and 90s were able to accomplish this. Though they did win back-to-back tiles in 1989 and 1990 and reached the finals five times (winning three) in seven years between 1989 and 1995.

Taken as a whole, historically Real Madrid is the most successful club. They beat out the traditional European powers of Barcelona, Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Porto, Benfica, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, and AC Milan.

However, AC Milan is not without history. It is this club, among the many great sides aforementioned, that can present a case to challenge Real Madrid. If not in the totality of soccer history, then we can definitely start from 1989. Generally the beginning of the legendary Milanese teams following its decadent faltering during the 1980s.

There is no side in Europe that equals Milan's string of majestic successes on the continent. Milan has done it with dominating and exquisite style, they have done it with stingy anticipatory, defensive capabilities, and they have done it with pure classical interpretations that included brilliant displays of practical and pragmatic soccer.

I will consider the following tournaments: Champions League, UEFA, Super Cup (which pits the winners of Champions League and the UEFA), World Club (where the South American champions of Copa Libertadores take on the winner of the Champions League - a tourney for bragging rights if you will) and the now defunct Cup Winners' Cup. Taken as a whole, these are generally regarded as the top tournaments in Europe and the world.

With this yesterday's victory Milan now has more trophies (16) in its trophy case than any club in history. Consider that since 1989, Milan has made it to the finals a combined 19 times; winning 11 titles (of which five were Champions League triumphs) in the process. By comparison, Real Madrid reached the finals nine times winning six (three in the Champions League). Juventus and Barcelona are close behind. For their part, Liverpool made it to the finals on five occasions and won four (one in Champions League) of those. By any normal standards, Real's and Liverpool's record is very good. It just looks merely mortal next to the marvel of Milan.

Perhaps making Milan the mightiest of the soccer teams is bound to elicit a debate. Just be glad I didn't try and argue they are the world's greatest club. I can just hear the fans of the legendary South American sides from Argentina's Boca Juniors and River Plate, Brazil's Santos and Penarol of Uruguay - possibly the greatest grand daddy of the South American sides - plead their passionate cases for their teams.

Hmm. Should be fun. Okay, I'll bite. AC Milan is the greatest soccer team in history. Let the debate - and arguing - begin.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
The game against Loserfool in you-know where was a nightmare but this game made me cried like i had a bad broken heart :D :
it was on 2001 i guess... Fiorentina 4 Milan 0
Goals by Nuno Gomes and Rui Costa (still Fiorentina player) gave Fiorentina 4-0 scoreboard.Gomes scored the opening goal heading in from a few meters Rui Costa's corner kick at the end of the 1st half .Oliver Bierhoff missed a golden opportunity for the equalizer kicking the ball wide from one meter :( . as Milan defense left wide room for fast counter-attacks, Fiorentina midfielder Cois made it two with a powerful drive. Chiesa, Fiorentina striker, tallied the third goal.after feeding the teammates, Rui Costa completed his impressive performance with a precise shot and a goal from the penalty area edge. between goals, Christian Abbiati made a number of saves on unmarked Fiorentina forwards. but still no goals for Milan :cry:

but i looked at the bright side.. Rui and Terim joined us :)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Carlo Ancelotti last game for Milan

Not much is known about Ancelotti’s playing day. He didn’t score a lot of goals, his most memorable goal probably that 35 yard rocket that almost break the hand of Paco Buyo when Milan trashed Real Madrid 5-0 on April 19, 1989 during the second leg of the Champions Cup game. Aside from that wonderful goal, the man nicknamed the Terminator for his ability to terminate all attack was content to calmly guarded the midfield and his steady game allowed Rijkaard to venture forward.

Coming to Milan from Rome in season 87/88, Carletto won every major club cup trophies with Milan. In 91/92 season, the arrival of young Demetrio Albertini made the 33 years old realized that he will no longer be part of Fabio Cappelo plan. But he still had a last trick up on his sleeve and he intended to go on a high note.

The day was May 17 1992 and Milan played vs Verona in the 33rd game of the league. Having already secured their 12th scudetto a week before after a 1-1 draw vs Napoli at the Sao Paolo stadium, the tifosi were ready to celebrate their unbeaten season. Banners, flags and posters were all paraded and the stadium was a spectacular red and black show.

Milan started with Rossi, Tasotti, Maldini, Costacurta, Albertini, Donadoni, Rijkaard, Gullit, Massaro and Van Basten. It didn’t take them long to start the party that the full capacity San Siro was expecting. Van Basten was fouled and after his customary one jump and 3 steps penalty-taking ritual; he converted his 11th penalty of the season in the 18th minute. It was his 23rd goal of the season (he would score 2 more in the last game away vs Foggia which Milan won 8-2 after falling 2-1 behind at half time and ended up as the season’s top scorer). The 1-0 score lasted until the first half was over.

Marco Simone came for Albertini at half time and Gullit soon doubled the lead in the 48th minute with a left-footed shot just inside the penalty box as Milan continued to dominate the game. Then Carletto’s moment came when Capello took Gullit out in the 68th minute. Wearing no 14, it didn’t take him long to change the game. Verona defense failed to clear a corner from the right side and the ball wildly bounced outside the box only for Ancelotti to lashed a thundering right foot shot that rolled on the ground and passed Gregori the Verona keeper in the 76th minute. 3-0 for Milan.

As if confirming that the day will be his, Ancelotti got more fired up. 1 minute after the restart, Stojkovic misjudged a pass and Ancelotti stole the ball from his feet and started dribbling to the box. He had Simone to his left but he continued his drive and delivered a precision shot that nested on the right side of the goal. 4-0 for Milan.

Ancelotti was mobbed by his team mate. Baresi, Donadoni and Rijkaard was still group hugging him when the captain said something which reduced them to a hearty laughter. For me, this 3 seconds scene summed up Milan in the 91/92 season: they were having fun, playing beautifully and winning games.

As the ref blew the final whistle, the fans descended for peaceful pitch invasion. Van Basten was forced to relinguish his jersey, Albertini was mobbed, Baresi had his captain’s arm band stripped from his arm. At the end of the afternoon after the pitch was cleared; Ancelotti was hoisted and carried in his team mates shoulders as they parared him around the pitch to the crescendo of applause inside the stadium. Another Milan hero is making his last curtain call.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Gaizka is that last post your creation? Cause it's gold :star:

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Italian Team, English Name

"Why is AC Milan officially known as AC Milan, not Milano?" asks Pete Cooper. "Inter's name is Internazionale Milano, Rome is Roma, Florence is Fiorentina, even Bayern is officially Bayern München. Yet Milan's name is written in English. Why?"

AC Milan's name is a legacy of its English origins, Pete. Like many fledgling Italian football clubs at the turn of the century, Milan were first conceived by a group of English expats - chief among them Nottingham native Herbert Kilpin and former British vice-consul Alfred Edwards. With the help of local industrialists, a group of Swiss footballers and Milan's Mediolanum gymnastic society, the Milan Cricket and Football Club was founded in 1899.

The club continued to operate under this name until 1939, when Mussolini's fascist government issued a diktat compelling Italian teams to drop all foreign words from their titles. Milan Cricket and Football Club therefore became Associazione Calcio Milano (a straight translation of "Milan Football Club"). In 1945, with the war over and the fascists out of power, club chiefs decided not to rebrand all over again, but out of respect for their English founders tweaked their new name to become Associazione Calcio Milan.

Italians themselves actually refer to AC Milan as 'Milan' (pronounced in the James Richardson style of 'Meelan'), not 'AC Milan', which although technically correct is equivalent to always referring to, for instance, 'Arsenal FC' rather than just 'Arsenal'. Similarly their old rivals are known as 'Inter', and occasionally 'Internazionale' and very rarely 'FC Internazionale Milano' (their official title), but never 'Inter Milan'. This is an anglicisation and roughly equivalent to calling Everton: 'Everton Liverpool'.

Formed in 1908 by a group of players and officials who had split away from Milan, Inter were known as Football Club Internazionale until 1928, when they became Ambrosiana SS Milano following a merger with fellow Milanese club Unione Sportiva. A year later they became AS Ambrosiana, and in 1931 - following pressure from fans - AS Ambrosiania-Inter. After the war they reverted to their original name, but tacked 'Milano' on the end to become Football Club Internazionale Milano.

football.guardian.co.uk

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
crazy4milan said:
Gaizka is that last post your creation? Cause it's gold :star:
Yup. I watched the game when it was aired, the scene that stuck in my mind was that group hug that I mention. Around 3 years ago I bought a DVD about Milan history that showed probably only 2 minutes of the game, which brought back the images of 25 years ago. Then several months ago I bought a book about Milan 91/92 season (in Italian language) that has pictures and results of all Milan games that season (starters, subs, goals, yellow/red card). The last puzzle was the date and it was solved when I came accross a data about all goals scored by MvBasten (date, opponents, final score).

Had the idea in my head for weeks. Piecing it all together plus 90 minutes of writing, there we have it. The fact that I started at 1.00 AM didn't help me finishing it faster :D :rolleyes:

dee_pee

Beginner
Reaction score
beside ucl final again liverpool in 2005, milan vs ajax in ucl 95 final also had sad memorable 4 me. in that year, ajax was dominated europe with the bunch of skillful and young talented player...and milan, after loosing the dutch trio was through to the final with struggle.
in final, since the score still 0-0 up to 86mnt, it seems that the match will due to extra time/or penalty kick...and then suddenly in somewhere 86mnt, kluivert came and score the only goal in that game...
then, as we all know, ajax claim the champions trophy and since that the member of ajax squad were haunted by european big club.
milan bought 4 of them, davids, bogarde, reiziger and kluivert...and the history has been written, nobody from them ever been succes in milan,what a waste of money to spend....

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
dee_pee said:
milan bought 4 of them, davids, bogarde, reiziger and kluivert...and the history has been written, nobody from them ever been succes in milan,what a waste of money to spend....
They stayed put for another year and reached the CL final in 96 (lost to Juve via penalty shoot out) before the team disintegrated. In 96/97 we bought Reiziger and Davids. Kluivert and Bogarde came in 97/98. They came quite cheap since their contract expired with Ajax. I won't blame all of them for doing poorly with Milan, it's more to the fact that the team was in disarray when they came. We sold Davids to Juve and he emerged to be one of the best DM in the game. We sold Kluivert to Barca and he ended up wonderful. Same case like Vieira to Arsenal from 96/97.

Seedorf went to Sampdoria and did terrible there too before moving to Real Madrid and won CL in 00.