Milan's Transferseason round-up

What do you make of our transfer campaign so far?

• Total voters

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
@Tsar

You obviously aint too updated on the Suazo case. Abidal was never considered a PRIMARY target.

Ronaldinho and Eto'o are primary targets. Both of which are destined to stay at Barcelona not as a result of Milan's poor transfer strategy but to the desire of Barcelona president Laporta claming both are indispensible for the club. I don't understand how in this case you can label this a failure when Berlusconi is willing to splash out 100m on either player. Same case with Kaka. Nothing you can really do. They've tried as much as one could possibly try to buy two of the best players in the world.

Pato has been monitored by Milan over the past 6-12 months. His name isn't foreign to most of us who are up-to-date with Milan's transfer activities in recent times and is still listed along with Ronaldinho and Eto'o's of players we still hope to purchase in the current transfer window.

Tsar, if you have any knowledge about the transfer market you would realise that the biggest transfers are done in the closing week, not to mention the last day. Milan's transfer activities are still on going and in football anything can happen, another fact which you should be familiar with. I can't understand how you come to the conclusion that Milan's transfer policy is one of failure when there is still shit loads of time till the close of the window. Only then can you consider our policy one of failure or success.
Abidal was the first player Milan made an offer for this Summer, if that doesn't class him as a primary target then what does? Pato has been scouted for some months - but no official approach was made until the primary targets of (once again): Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Suazo, Henry & and Drogba as well actually, failed.

Oh, and making your primary targets players that you can never sign kind of shows a weakness in transfer policy i'm affraid. ;)

So again, (and this time try not and defer from the simple answer that is needed) : How can you dispute the strategy of the club to sign its ideal players is not a failure when it has failed to sign all of its primary targets?

Saying there is still time left in the window just isn't a reason because there could be all the time in the world and it wouldn't change the fact that the primary targets are now impossible to sign after they all moved elsewhere or commited to their clubs. Doesn't matter if the club can still sign X,Y & Z, because they wanted A, B & C - which didn't happen. So the policy to sign players employed by the management didn't work, to dispute that is disputing fact and logic.

KakatheSublime

Primavera
Reaction score
I wonder, though if some of the so-called transfer policy is a result of the belief that Milan have already "added" to their team by having Ronaldo available for CL? While that signing took place mid-season, it is almost as if it is a signing now given that Ronaldo is no longer cup-tied to another team. I look forward to seeing some others getting some playing time (e.g. Gourcuff).

I do have to agree somewhat with the strategy to name primary targets who are not signable as somewhat disingenuous. Again, though, I wonder if Galliani's statements about his "primary" targets is a smoke screen. Who knows?

I guess we will have to see how it all plays out.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
KakatheSublime said:
I wonder, though if some of the so-called transfer policy is a result of the belief that Milan have already "added" to their team by having Ronaldo available for CL? While that signing took place mid-season, it is almost as if it is a signing now given that Ronaldo is no longer cup-tied to another team. I look forward to seeing some others getting some playing time (e.g. Gourcuff).

I do have to agree somewhat with the strategy to name primary targets who are not signable as somewhat disingenuous. Again, though, I wonder if Galliani's statements about his "primary" targets is a smoke screen. Who knows?

I guess we will have to see how it all plays out.
Of course Ronaldo is consider a new signing by Milan...I think Galliani already said that in an interview about a week ago.

About the transfer policy-ok so they want to sign a "superstar"...how about remembering we have lots of injury prone players, and we are going to play several competitions this year? Don't they know we need other players in other positions (defenders-midfielders)? Are we really just expecting one superstar from upfront midfield/striker? That's not going to be enough, if we at least want to win something apart the Supercup. And please don't tell me Digao is our reinforcement.

And those signings shouldn't be done till the end, when desperation it's at is best. And I think we have been somehow misslead to believe that the biggest transfers are done on the last week.....no they are not. As far as I remember we bought Sheva before the transfer window was open, we bought Pippo-Rui in June-early July-, Nesta being the exception here (all the rest of our 02-03 campaign were done early), Kaka-Cafu came in here in July, Crespo on loan came in early August, Gila was bought in mid-July and both Favalli and Gourcuff were bought in May-June, Oliveira being the other exception. Needless to see that all the big moves this summer have already been made. Also, it is dumb to do that move, you want the player to do the preseason with the team, specially if that player comes from a whole other league.

I'm not expecting this huge signing, I'm not really convinced about the idea of a superstar either (although I would have loved Eto'o), I'm just expecting some good signings to be made in places we need to...and not last minute panic buys like the one we had a year ago.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
crazy4milan said:
And I think we have been somehow misslead to believe that the biggest transfers are done on the last week.....no they are not. As far as I remember we bought Sheva before the transfer window was open, we bought Pippo-Rui in June-early July-, Nesta being the exception here (all the rest of our 02-03 campaign were done early), Kaka-Cafu came in here in July, Crespo on loan came in early August, Gila was bought in mid-July and both Favalli and Gourcuff were bought in May-June, Oliveira being the other exception. Needless to see that all the big moves this summer have already been made. Also, it is dumb to do that move, you want the player to do the preseason with the team, specially if that player comes from a whole other league.
Interesting.... i thought Kaka was bought at the end of August :rolleyes: ..nevermind, you have a point there, the fact that not doing the preseason with the new team may harm his performance and his understanding with the team but on the other hand the player has already done preseason with his old team so that might give him an advantage to insert himself in the best way possible, seeing that athletism and freshness are the most important factor when you start a new season...

So i woudnt say that all the big moves have been done

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Matmil04 said:
Interesting.... i thought Kaka was bought at the end of August :rolleyes: ...
He came like in the last week of July because he was playing the Gold Cup with Brazil, but he was ours some weeks (maybe months) before.

Eitherway, I'll wait till August 31st to see how we handled our transfer policy, and I won't judge our transfers till the end of the season, when one can really judge them (maybe just state "nah, he wasn't the one we needed", or "yey! we got him").

MilanEqualsLove

-.Mrs Nesta.-
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Inzaghi, Zlatan, Prince
Ive given up on this summers transfer, I was hoping that we would get a new young midfielder and a defender, but it doesn't seem to happen. So I'm just gonna close my eyes and go to sleep and hope for all the best. :rolleyes:

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
Policy? What policy? Do we have a transfer policy for this season?

First of all, in order to have a "policy" you should look at what you lack, what you need, and what is the surplus.

- We have three goalkeepers ready for next season which is just enough.

- We've got 5 CB's which is more than enough, all fit and ready adding to that they have the experience and the class to play for AC Milan so no troubles.

- We've got % WB's which is more than enough for any team. But, in our case we have three players that are past it: Cafu, Serginho, and Favalli. So we have just the two we start with... and Jankulovski lacks the defensive side. So we need a RWB to replace a grandpa we have in Cafu; and a LWB with a great defensive qualities.

- We've got three holding midfielders: Gattuso, Ambrosini, and Brocchi. Brocchi is a surplus and should go.

- We've got Pirlo and Gourcuff in the center of midfield which is just enough.

- We've got two attacking midfielders in Seedorf and Kaka. We have no surplus and they could do just fine for next season, but if we have the option of buying a young one for future to step up and take Seedorf's place then no problem.

- Upfront we've got Inzaghi, Gilardino & Ronaldo. Which shows our lack of strikers and our desperate need for a young Ronaldo/Sheva type of striker. No one would mind two also.

- Add to that about one or two fringe players that should be bought in case of injuries/suspension.

So, to sum it all up... we need to get rid of:

- Cafu
- Favalli
- Serginho
- Brocchi

And buy:

- RWB
- LWB
- MF [any midfielder as a fringe player]
- FW
- FW [another forward as a fringe player]

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Tsar said:
Abidal was the first player Milan made an offer for this Summer, if that doesn't class him as a primary target then what does?
We made contact with Ba as well does that consider Ba a primary target?

Tsar said:
Pato has been scouted for some months - but no official approach was made until the primary targets of (once again): Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Suazo, Henry & and Drogba as well actually, failed.
Hence we have a back up in Pato. So obviously Milan have thought about this policy for a while if they have numerous backup options of the five players stated above. Pato was going to be purchased by Milan somewhere down the track. Though with Laporta's wishes at the present moment Milan have acted quickly and virtually signed Pato up.

Tsar said:
Oh, and making your primary targets players that you can never sign kind of shows a weakness in transfer policy i'm affraid. ;)
Who's to say they can never be signed?
The same mob who claimed the same thing about Shevchenko remaining at Milan for the rest of his career?

Tsar said:
So again, (and this time try not and defer from the simple answer that is needed)
Which is what you've obviously good at doing...

Tsar said:
: How can you dispute the strategy of the club to sign its ideal players is not a failure when it has failed to sign all of its primary targets?
Well I don't know... let's see... how about you pay attention to my previous posts?

Tsar said:
Saying there is still time left in the window just isn't a reason because there could be all the time in the world and it wouldn't change the fact that the primary targets are now impossible to sign after they all moved elsewhere or commited to their clubs. Doesn't matter if the club can still sign X,Y & Z, because they wanted A, B & C - which didn't happen. So the policy to sign players employed by the management didn't work, to dispute that is disputing fact and logic.
What do you mean its not a reason?... Of course its a reason. Players are still on vacations and haven't made contact with their clubs to discuss their future. The same way Shevchenko committed to Milan?... You dish out the dirt on Milan because they are trying to sign the best strikers on the earth but that obviously isn't good enough. Are we all to expect you would do a better job in luring these stars to Milan?
If presidents of opposing clubs refuse to sell their players how is that Milan's fault?... are you questioning Milan's seriousness about purchasing players. If that's so then why would a president have to come out and say that his players are untransferable?

Obviously there has been various amounts of contacts being made and numerous offers tabled for him to come out and say that quite a few times in the past weeks. See this is where I feel you would be happy. You'd be happy if Milan sign mediocre players like Baptista just for the sake of Gazzetta Dello Sport claiming Milan transfer's In: Baptista.

Milan are pursing to sign the biggest stars they can. They have other options as I just mentioned like Pato (who was a player we were always serious about).

People state that no players want to come to Milan whereas 6 months ago we purchased two players we wanted in Oddo and Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Chuckles

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso
hmmm

i think where pretty well covered in defence with:

CB: Nesta, Maldini, Kaladze, Bonera

RB: Oddo
LB: Jankulovski

maybe another RB or LB but we have 6 GOOD defenders. thus defence isnt a problem.

We are covered in the midfield aswell i think with:

Pirlo, Guttoso, Kaka, Seedorf, Ambro and Gourcuff allways improving.

Our only major problem is our attack.

Inzagi, Ronaldo and Gilardino and all GOOD.. but neither of them are in the worlds elite..

I think these players must go...

Cafu
Simic
Serginho
Favalli
Brocci

as much as i like cafu hes to old.. i would love to see him help us out in a defensive coaching area etc..

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Remember we also have players from the Primavera coming to the senior squad this season.

My only doubts were an alternative to Pirlo but we've seem to have that covered with the faith shown in Gourcuff, so I'm fine with that. Also a LB but we have three fighting for competition: Jankulovski, Favalli and the return to fitness of Serginho. Depending on how they play out the first half of the season we can also strengthen out side in January. I personally don't want a surplus with 4 potential LBs in the team same goes with the CD position. Our defense is the last aspect of the team we have to strengthen.

IMO we only need a very good second striker.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Paolo said:
IMO we only need a very good second striker.
That might be Aubemeyang :D in case we fail to hit all our tranfer list

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
See I wouldn't mind Aubameyang as our 5th choice striker though he doesn't have the characteristics of a second/support striker which we should be aiming for.

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
project1967 said:
a little reminder about Abidal ...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=250747

" But Eric does not want to go to Italy because he feels that there is too much racism in the game there. "

no anti-Italian bigot . Thanks . :head:

:mad:
But he goes to Spain :conf:

Isn't that the league where they stopped a few games because the crowd was screaming racist remarks at Eto'o

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
San Paolo:

You still haven't given an acceptable response as there is still a huge inconsistancy.

Again the following were Milan's primary tragets this Summer: Abidal, Henry, Suazo, Eto'o, Ronaldinho with Drogba borderline as his contact was made straight after Henry and Eto'o. Forget Pato, Baptista, D.Milito, Rossi, Tevez, Fred etc and even Shevchenko - because these players, some of which no move has even yet been made, only became persued after the primary targets failed, thus despite how good they may or may not be, they are still second fiddle to the primary targets, as seen by the clubs actions. So i'm saying the failure of the policy in this sense is that it could not sign its primary targets, you say its not because there is still time left in the window, which isn't the case because signing all of those primary targets is impossible:

Suazo: Signed for Inter
Henry: Signed for Barca
Abidal: Signed for Barca
Eto'o: Commited himself to Barca
Ronaldinho: Commited himself to Barca

Those were the primary targets, all failed to sign for Milan, all can't now regardless of how long the window is be signed now. And you can't say its not a weakness in policy, because 3 of them did move clubs, with the other 2 as you yourself stated being impossible to sign due to Laporta, well wasting your time on impossible targets is also a weakness in policy.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*Mr Whippy song plays in the background*

PUPO

Stiamo tornando
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Pippo, Totti, R80, Messi, Sheva
Galliani announces: "Eto'o resta al Barcellona e anche Ronaldino. Non sono in vendita". Adriano Galliani sembra chiudere definitivamente la porta all'arrivo di almeno uno dei due assi blaugrana al Milan. "Il Milan ha una squadra forte e completa, cosi come è. Abbiamo Kaka, Ronaldo e Gilardino, l'attacco va bene così", ha detto l'ad della società rossonera.

Eto'o and Ronaldinho are staying at Barca, they are not for sale. Milan are strong and complete, we have Kaka, Ronaldo and Gila, we don't need more strikers.

He's gone mental or is it pre-tactics???? Enough bullshit for fuck's sake. Berlusconi promised us a big signing!

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Pupone#10 said:
He's gone mental or is it pre-tactics???? Enough bullshit for fuck's sake. Berlusconi promised us a big signing!
I wont mind if this "big name" is a defneder or a left back or even a midfielder.
We need players all over & if its up 2 me defenders r more needed than strikers.

Faяouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta
Wild said:
I wont mind if this "big name" is a defneder or a left back or even a midfielder.
We need players all over & if its up 2 me defenders r more needed than strikers.

A left back is a top priority. How can't they see that? Janku is a joke defensively and our future star Grimi is on loan. :tongue:

If I get to pick, first is a left back, then a striker, then a midfielder.

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
I think people are overreacting on this whole we NEED a LB business. Jankulovski was one of our better players for long stretches of the season. Actually I only recall one bad game and that would be the CL Final. Sure he has flaws but they were only exploited once, and he played well throughout the rest of the season, therefore LB is not a priority.

The priority for Milan is a striker, because it was our weakest department last season. If Galliani is serious about having Kaka moved into a permanent forward position then the target should become a midfielder. The other areas such as defence do need some reinforcement to cope with the long season and all our competitions but since we'll be promoting a few primavera players to the first team then they shall provide the necessary cover.

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
He's already announced that no one is coming. I guess we can look forward to fourth place again, if we're lucky.

gahanthegod

violator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dave Gahan, Martin L. Gore, Alan Wilder, Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher.
Wild said:
Yep. Board, fans and even various members here pretend like we've a worldclass squad and the only need is a striker, which is not true. We need at least 4 players.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Pirlo Fan said:
I think people are overreacting on this whole we NEED a LB business. Jankulovski was one of our better players for long stretches of the season. Actually I only recall one bad game and that would be the CL Final. Sure he has flaws but they were only exploited once, and he played well throughout the rest of the season, therefore LB is not a priority.

The priority for Milan is a striker, because it was our weakest department last season. If Galliani is serious about having Kaka moved into a permanent forward position then the target should become a midfielder. The other areas such as defense do need some reinforcement to cope with the long season and all our competitions but since we'll be promoting a few primavera players to the first team then they shall provide the necessary cover.
We play with 1 or 2 strikers when we always play with 4 defenders.
I have more hope with a strike force of (kaka-gila-pippo-ronaldo) than a defensive force of (cafu-oddo-kaladze-nesta-maldini-simic-janku-sergi).
Its obvious that there is much more class within the strikers than within the defenders.
U cant really count cafu , sergi & maldini.
Simic will never play under A.
Kala gave us 1 good season.
Oddo still 2 show his Lazio days.
Janku never convinced as a LB.
Only nesta is world class.

Ronaldo + Pippo = proven goal scorer & its up 2 em 2 remain that way.
Gila is an underachiever but he is young & no1 deny his parma days so again its in his hand 2 provide.
Kaka is world class.

So , 4 me , we need reinforcement in CD + LB more than a ST.

Cassius

¤ King Kaka ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Gattuso, Maldini,Dida, Serghino, Seedorf, Robben, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Buffon, Gourcuff
Anguisette said:
He's already announced that no one is coming. I guess we can look forward to fourth place again, if we're lucky.

Haha i knew it from day one them two tight bastards wont sing anyone ... they are fuckin useless... they just want to hold on to their money thats all ... !!

Fuck it .. once again it is going to be a very long and frustrating season ... am not looking forward to it at all!!

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Wild said:
We play with 1 or 2 strikers when we always play with 4 defenders.
I have more hope with a strike force of (kaka-gila-pippo-ronaldo) than a defensive force of (cafu-oddo-kaladze-nesta-maldini-simic-janku-sergi).
Its obvious that there is much more class within the strikers than within the defenders.
U cant really count cafu , sergi & maldini.
Simic will never play under A.
Kala gave us 1 good season.
Oddo still 2 show his Lazio days.
Janku never convinced as a LB.
Only nesta is world class.

Ronaldo + Pippo = proven goal scorer & its up 2 em 2 remain that way.
Gila is an underachiever but he is young & no1 deny his parma days so again its in his hand 2 provide.
Kaka is world class.

So , 4 me , we need reinforcement in CD + LB more than a ST.

Not many teams in the world can boast WC defenders throughout the backline but we still havee good quality defenders so I'm not about to panic yet. I see your point that we need defenders but for me last season we failed to score enough goals at times, example that string of 0-0 and then afterwards 1-1 draws we had. Honestly we need reinforcements in all areas but that's not going to happen so I'd rather our priority be ST.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cassius said:
Fuck it .. once again it is going to be a very long and frustrating season ... am not looking forward to it at all!!
Now comon! we arent Inter who buy players in the summer and win nothing at the end of the season(not counting last season for some reason)
You dont win the League in Summer you win it in spring + i firmly think that we will buy a player eventhough he may become the new Oliviera:hence , Baptista or maybe Love

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Yeah Cassius ... Fuck it.

Lets really see how great A. + this team are. And by team I mean the core thats stuck around since 2003. Since clearly, B. doesn't seem to want to lend a helping hand - customary end of transfer window, panic change spending for nightmare signings, inclusive :o

Gatorbasu

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I have no problem with KALA. In fact, he and Nesta are a great pair in club football, even better than MALDINI and NESTA pair.

But with JANKU, I am not completely sure. But he has the talent, consistency is another thing !!

In any case, ODDO - NESTA - KALA - JANKU is a pretty competitive back line. Unfortunately, it may be good for CL but not good for a long season of SCUDETTO race, because the back ups are rally old CAFU - SERGI - FAVALLI.

MALDINI is good if used sporadically but SIMIC is not so dependable. Thus, for a long season of 38 games in SERIE, we do need to reinforce our defence, at least in Right LB position. Because, SERGI may still be good like MALDINI if he is used sporadically.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gilardino
Milans biggest problem is that they dont sign or sell players. They dont sell usless players like brochi. They also havent made a big signing in years. They are cheap. They are too cheap to pay 12 million or whatever for "the new kaka" because hes "too expensive for a kid." Is this the same club that is supposed to have more money than Barca and Chelsea? They offer 89 million for Ronaldinho...why cant they spend 30 million for a player like Daniel Alves? oh wait that would mean selling Cafu...nevermind

Rossonero4Life!

Forza Milan!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All AC Milan & Azzurri Players!!
what i dont seem to understand is that we are the european champions and yet we still cant seem to buy a world class stirker... usually every player in the world would be lining up to play for the european champions, especially milan but it seems that every other club are buying players except for us... i just dont get it lol...