Alessio Romagnoli Thread

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I agree for 20+ bonuses based on the team's performances, he's worth the risk. I was arguing with the kid that said 30 mil was a fair price for Romagnoli.

I'm out, have a nice weekend folks.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Italian CBs who show promise are expensive. It's like how the value shoots up for a Brazilian forward who shows promise. All the heritage and education is factored in too.

Of course it can go horribly wrong. (Remember Fabiano Santacroce?) But so can any other transfer.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
I agree for 20+ bonuses based on the team's performances, he's worth the risk. I was arguing with the kid that said 30 mil was a fair price for Romagnoli.

I'm out, have a nice weekend folks.

No one said 30m is a fair price
Accepting the circumstances of the market=/= you think the inflated price is the players actual value

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
No one said 30m is a fair price
Accepting the circumstances of the market=/= you think the inflated price is the players actual value

When's the last time you took an economics class

You would be slapped for saying this

The "actual" intrinsic value of a player... :lol:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Italian CBs who show promise are expensive. It's like how the value shoots up for a Brazilian forward who shows promise. All the heritage and education is factored in too.

Of course it can go horribly wrong. (Remember Fabiano Santacroce?) But so can any other transfer.

Bonucci cost was 16M. Ranocchia 19M.

Though I wouldn't call neither flop.
Bonucci certainly ended up being worth it. The Frog bounced back last season.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Ogbonna 13 million.

Bonucci turned out to be a great deal.

So many media 'experts' had commented back when they were in Bari that Rannocchia was actually the better of the two and carried Bonucci. So much for that.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Ogbonna 13 million.

Bonucci turned out to be a great deal.

So many media 'experts' had commented back when they were in Bari that Rannocchia was actually the better of the two and carried Bonucci. So much for that.

yeah i remember, that about the most promising duo in the serie a

we should have bought both of them

bocchetti 16mil

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
Bochetti to Russia was wrong career choice.It was motivated by money.Criscito is the same.Good players at one point of time,highly rated but Russia screwed them.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Who knows... This could be the case.

They both started off bad, but Bonucci had Buffon, Chielini, Conte and a functional team. He become better and better

Ranocchia was in a bad team with no stability at all, changing coach all the time.

Reminds me of Cannavaro when he was at Inter (then gone to Juve in exchange for Carini :lol:)... Not saying they're as good as him obviously.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i thought rannocchia was too at that stage. I think he had a serious injury right after leaving bari maybe ACL, it would probably set back any footballer. he was very good last season tho.

Starish

[Exemplary Сasual Dating Authentic Maidens]
Reaction score
Not worth the money or he hassle...

Reaction score
Romagnoli is better than those overrated epl pretenders like Denayer, Stones, chambers, etc

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Romag seems a very good CB with all sorts of qualities & still so young. He's good at the basics of defending plus he can play passes out from the back, even play left back with credit plus he's calm, composed & elegant. His price is so high because Roma priced him to be kept. He's more or less from Rome & came up through their youth system. But he wants to work with Miha again, he wants to play regularly as he did at Samp. He's a legend for us already as he's turned down Napoli. I hope his transfer is finalised quickly!

Always Forza Milan!

Peace.

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Romag seems a very good CB with all sorts of qualities & still so young. He's good at the basics of defending plus he can play passes out from the back, even play left back with credit plus he's calm, composed & elegant. His price is so high because Roma priced him to be kept. He's more or less from Rome & came up through their youth system. But he wants to work with Miha again, he wants to play regularly as he did at Samp. He's a legend for us already as he's turned down Napoli. I hope his transfer is finalised quickly!

Always Forza Milan!

Peace.

:fp: PLEASE....calm your tits! He could MAYBE turn out good some day but he's nothing special now. He showed decent promise, nothing extraordinary. For God's sake Matias freaking Silvestre that couldn't get a game with us the prior season also looked good in that Samp. Not to mention Mesbah:fp: That team played good team defense but nobody stood out individually in defense.

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Panache, you're really underrating his movements and progression.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I will be gutted if he doesn't arrive in the end

Must sign, and i'm quite positive he'll come

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Panache, you're really underrating his movements and progression.

Not saying he's bad but I can't help but laugh when people think spending 25-30 million on him is OK when we have bigger problems in midfield. I'm just countering all the hype he's getting here and all these people overrating him to scary heights. Romagnoli is a good CB for his age, nothing spectacular in his game, certainly has promise but will not improve our defense this season or the season after. Will probably come here and be a bench option and with young players we know they need to start continuously and learn from their mistakes to improve. I don't mind signing him for 10 m or 10 + 5 (bonuses) but anything over that and we're overspending.

Galliani and co. really know how to get the fans to obsess about 1 or 2 "targets" and drag the transfer out so long that we end up convincing ourselves that our targets are the best options out there.

If the goal is to get tot he Champions League next season, spending 25-30 mil on Romagnoli won't do it. Improve that midfield with those funds and we'll have a very good chance.

Last edited:

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
Sorry, but the people saying that he's a legend because some random reports say he rejected Napoli for us can fuck off

ATM he's barely an improvement over what we have, but he a patience that not many defenders have and that we can build on.
He waits for the opportune moment to tackle and knows when it's time to burst out of the defensive line and intercept the ball, that's a rare quality for players his age, with proper care and training he can become a good defender; saying he's the new Nesta is absurd: not only it gives the fans false hope, but it also puts a lot of pressure on the player, thus increasing the chances of him not reaching his full potential

AC AZZA

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso,Maldini,Pirlo,Inzaghi,Kaka
I'd rather this deal happen sooner than later.

To those saying his no better than what we have, true, I can see what you mean , but at the same time, he can get a lot better than what we have.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Not saying he's bad but I can't help but laugh when people think spending 25-30 million on him is OK when we have bigger problems in midfield. I'm just countering all the hype he's getting here and all these people overrating him to scary heights. Romagnoli is a good CB for his age, nothing spectacular in his game, certainly has promise but will not improve our defense this season or the season after. Will probably come here and be a bench option and with young players we know they need to start continuously and learn from their mistakes to improve. I don't mind signing him for 10 m or 10 + 5 (bonuses) but anything over that and we're overspending.

Galliani and co. really know how to get the fans to obsess about 1 or 2 "targets" and drag the transfer out so long that we end up convincing ourselves that our targets are the best options out there.

If the goal is to get tot he Champions League next season, spending 25-30 mil on Romagnoli won't do it. Improve that midfield with those funds and we'll have a very good chance.

I tend to agree with this, even though a small voice in the back of my head keeps saying "If they're willing to spend that much, maybe they know better"... who knows, maybe Miha thinks that he can be a solid starter this year. I do think we're overspending nonetheless, I'd be more happy if we bought him for 15mill and 50% of future profit which would at least limit our losses if he flops.

The thing that is scary is that people suddenly think we have Real Madrid or Manchester spending power :lol:. To me this seems more like a huge bet with most of our chips which will either come to fruition and allow us to ride the wave for a bit or leave us badly beaten and licking our wounds for the next 4-5 years.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with this, even though a small voice in the back of my head keeps saying "If they're willing to spend that much, maybe they know better"... who knows, maybe Miha thinks that he can be a solid starter this year. I do think we're overspending nonetheless, I'd be more happy if we bought him for 15mill and 50% of future profit which would at least limit our losses if he flops.

The thing that is scary is that people suddenly think we have Real Madrid or Manchester spending power :lol:. To me this seems more like a huge bet with most of our chips which will either come to fruition and allow us to ride the wave for a bit or leave us badly beaten and licking our wounds for the next 4-5 years.

He's not even the more scary deal we making.

Worst case... He flops badly (like regressing as player, not a big chance), get loaned out, we recover 6~8M in 3 or 4 years (while at it, he's in a small wage).

Bacca even at the best case will give us goals but never give us back 30M cash. While he's on big wages. If he flops, we're with a potential Amauri case.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
He's not even the more scary deal we making.

Worst case... He flops badly (like regressing as player, not a big chance), get loaned out, we recover 6~8M in 3 or 4 years (while at it, he's in a small wage).

Bacca even at the best case will give us goals but never give us back 30M cash. While he's on big wages. If he flops, we're with a potential Amauri case.

You might be right, however there's no point in crying over done deals ... jumping from one risky move to another is like asking to get burned. I wonder if our management has considered a ballpark amount on the possible losses that we'll incur in this transfer market. Wouldn't be surprised if that amount was around 30% or higher.

On separate news, Romagnoli in action yesterday

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
He is 20,this shit will happen.It is stupid but Set Piece defending is more about organising than anything else.Its a team effort that can be coached.
Do we have a compilation of his defensive skills from last season ?

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
I've stopped from weighing in as I'm a big fan of his, so obviously would love the deal to go through. Want specifically to address the valuation and the hesitance of some members. The price of youth players across the world has skyrocketed for a variety of reasons. Sure, it's a bubble and we could decide, hey veterans are undervalued, let's go that route, but Milan needs lottery tickets and lots of them. There is not one pillar on this club around which to build.

If the club believes that he can unlock his potential, which is one of the best defenders in the world, then 25 M for one of the best defenders is nothing. It's worth the risk. Sure, would be great if that risk were lower, but that's not where the market is.

Remember that potential costs more than results. Optionality is the most desired thing in all global sports at this point.

Look at a player like Marquinos who showed flashes, was sold for something like 32 M euros and has blossomed into one of the best defenders at what, 22?

Romagnoli is the exact type of player Milan should be after. Young players with massive potential who are ready for the next step. Some will falter. Some will remain flat. Some will excel. Risk comes with reward.

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
never seen him play, never stood out for me before he could be incredible or bad idk but , I just know we had incredible potential in ely and don't understand why we are spending 25m where we need to replace de jong and Montolivo who are past their primes. milan has no midfield.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I've stopped from weighing in as I'm a big fan of his, so obviously would love the deal to go through. Want specifically to address the valuation and the hesitance of some members. The price of youth players across the world has skyrocketed for a variety of reasons. Sure, it's a bubble and we could decide, hey veterans are undervalued, let's go that route, but Milan needs lottery tickets and lots of them. There is not one pillar on this club around which to build.

If the club believes that he can unlock his potential, which is one of the best defenders in the world, then 25 M for one of the best defenders is nothing. It's worth the risk. Sure, would be great if that risk were lower, but that's not where the market is.

Remember that potential costs more than results. Optionality is the most desired thing in all global sports at this point.

Look at a player like Marquinos who showed flashes, was sold for something like 32 M euros and has blossomed into one of the best defenders at what, 22?

Romagnoli is the exact type of player Milan should be after. Young players with massive potential who are ready for the next step. Some will falter. Some will remain flat. Some will excel. Risk comes with reward.

You make good points, and I believe that every fan here wants to have young exciting players with potential that become part of the history of the club.
The problem is that
-1- Loyalty these days doesn't exist. This guy has come through the Roma youth teams and right now he's very eager to leave. What makes you think that he will hesitate if a Real, Bayern or a Manchester comes knocking offering him double the salary that he gets here.
-2- The truth is that we don't know the exact potential of Romagnoli, the same way that we don't know the true potential of Cristante, El Shaarawy, De Sciglio, Niang, Saponara, Rodrigo Ely, Calabria, Suso etc. What we know is the hype that our club is surrounding Romagnoli with which is the same hype that we heard for Yanga Mbiwa two years ago when he was at Montpellier and we were about to buy him.
Comparing him with Marquinhos is unfair, Marquinhos was one of the best defenders of the entire Serie A in addition to being 18-19 years old, and was comfortable with the ball at his feet. Romagnoli is considered one of the best prospects but he's not one of the best defenders yet, in fact at Roma currently he's not considered a starter. Being a starter at Sampdoria doesn't mean that you're good enough to be a starter at a bigger club (see Cerci)
These comparisons to Nesta, Marquinhos etc, are just hype and a way to justify a crazy expense.
-3- Our club was never distinguished as a great club at buying young talent and nurturing them to greatness (e.g. Aubameyang, Darmian or Vieira, Davids). To assume that we suddenly became much better at it at a snap of a finger is short-sighted.

If we want to be better at finding young talent, we should first of all create a great scouting system, invest in those youngsters, and even more important, do it gradually. In the same year we brought Jose Mauri, Suso, Calabria, Rodrigo Ely, Donnaruma and Niang... and we want to bring also Romagnoli? That's a lot of youngsters in one year for a team that is not Udinese or Arsenal.
A classic scenario of a overhyped youngster is what happened with Liverpool and Balotelli. They bought him thinking that they had a class player that would be a solid starter, every performance of his was put under the magnifying glass and checked to the minuscule details, they saw him a few games and said "This guy is not great, he's definitely not worth the money that we spent on him". Then it escalated to "This guy is shit, if we play him we are fighting for a draw" then the pressure from the player escalated to the coach "if the coach plays him, the coach knows nothing".

Ask yourself the question: If Zapata played at Sampdoria, would he be an undisputed starter and have a good season?

Last edited:

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@ender

I don't see what exactly the problem is with the point you made about him possibly jumping at a chance to play for bayern, madrid or whoever. Right now where milan is it, 95 percent of players are in that boat. And what's wrong with that anyway? An offer from those clubs would mean he played well for us and in that case be money well spent, no?

Also, does anyone besides me believe that romagnolis age is actually making him underrated? I keep reading things like "we need a player who can start now," and "we don't even know if he'll be good enough for us." I couldn't disagree more. He was probably the best defender last year on a really solid defense in the league that milan plays for. He's more or less an automatic upgrade, even if he doesn't improve at all. Yes, I realize our centerbacks aren't 10th place defenders and that good coaching could make that revitalised, but the fact remains, romagnoli was the most solid defenders on a defense miles better than ours last season. That's also where his value comes from partially. He IS ready now and will walk into this backline. I firmly believe that, and so does Galliani, he wouldn't offer that much if he didn't.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So many typos...gotta stop using my phone for this

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
@ender

I don't see what exactly the problem is with the point you made about him possibly jumping at a chance to play for bayern, madrid or whoever. Right now where milan is it, 95 percent of players are in that boat. And what's wrong with that anyway? An offer from those clubs would mean he played well for us and in that case be money well spent, no?

Also, does anyone besides me believe that romagnolis age is actually making him underrated? I keep reading things like "we need a player who can start now," and "we don't even know if he'll be good enough for us." I couldn't disagree more. He was probably the best defender last year on a really solid defense in the league that milan plays for. He's more or less an automatic upgrade, even if he doesn't improve at all. Yes, I realize our centerbacks aren't 10th place defenders and that good coaching could make that revitalised, but the fact remains, romagnoli was the most solid defenders on a defense miles better than ours last season. That's also where his value comes from partially. He IS ready now and will walk into this backline. I firmly believe that, and so does Galliani, he wouldn't offer that much if he didn't.

Nothing is wrong with him leaving, I was just pointing out that fact to USC who wanted a "pillar".

The defense of Sampdoria was better than ours not because of Romagnoli but because they were a much better organized as a team defensively. If we have to focus only on the defense, Sampdoria defense was composed of Silvestre and Mesbah who were discarded without regrets from Milan. Iirc we also had the second best defense during the second half of the season 2012-13. Using this rationale, we should confirm the duo Mexes-Zapata as starters, when the truth is that it was the entire team including El Shaarawy, Niang and Boateng that worked hard to defend.

Conclusion: The truth is that some people will say that he has potential and that potential deserves the price that Roma placed on him. The other people will say that he's not a starter for Roma and that Roma is selling a backup for 28 mill based on "potential" that might come to fruition or not.
Both sides have merit and plenty of support and unfortunately it's something that we won't be able to solve here :). Probably we're gonna have to wait and trust that the management will do the right move. Time will tell who is right...