Coppa Italia 1/8 Finals: Milan - Torino 12/01/2021 20:45 CET

Torcida

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Totti, Gattuso, Maldini, Ronaldo 9
Kalulu is 20, howcome he never got a chance at lyon with obvious talent. I’d undestrand if it was a club that doesn’t recognize talent like inter, but Lyon is a different story. Not that I am complaining, it turned out perfect for us.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Face is forward but eyes may be down. We need the front on angle.

Ok so I literally went back and saw replays of all his penalties this season. None had a good view of his face as he took them. But then I found this image:

Sampdoria-Milan-Kessie.jpg

Case closed.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
enjoyed the game.. we have like 6 days rest ... I can’t wait to see Dalot and especially most importantly samu out... god i hate castillejo

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonali has his ups and downs, he makes one too many mistake every match but it's undeniable to me that the dude has a lot of talent and is growing in the role game after game. Today was one of his best matches.

But that midfield with him + Calabria + Diaz just doesn't work and that's the reason our first half was pretty bad. Cala was not bad but he's not natural at all here, he is just a body around most of the time and our transition was very problematic with in the middle. Also, Diaz doesn't do nearly as much midfled work as Hakan does.
That midfield is struggling and it's the reason we've been badly losing possession every game since Benna got injured and it's really absurd how short our depth is for CM - and how many risks we're taking becuase of that. It's past time to get a real backup for CM.

It was a whole different ball game when Hakan and Kessie came in.

Also I get why people talk shit about Diaz but he make things happen. He runs around a lot, he's always energetic and he get a lot of the ball and he tries everything. It's natural he also misses a lot but many of our chances passed though him today.

Leao was not good as CF today unlike the previous games. We badly needed a pivot but he couldn't do it and N'Koulou had him in the pocket most of the game.

Kalulu was one of the best in the field and I'm pretty sure he can become a top CB. I'm not saying he can't make it in RB but I'm yet to be convinced by his offensive skills

Torcida

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Totti, Gattuso, Maldini, Ronaldo 9
Torino have some interesting players there, I really liked Buongiorno (plus he has the coolest name). That Bosnian guy Kojak or whatever no.10 is also a strong player to keep an eye out for.

Gojak played in the Croatian league, decent player but not Milan quality. This is Pioli?s not Poli?s Milan.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Surprise, surprise

We win again

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Ok so I literally went back and saw replays of all his penalties this season. None had a good view of his face as he took them. But then I found this image:

Sampdoria-Milan-Kessie.jpg

Case closed.

Nice. So he is just so steely that even though keepers know he's watching them waiting for them to move, they still can't hold their nerve and always move first.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Nice. So he is just so steely that even though keepers know he's watching them waiting for them to move, they still can't hold their nerve and always move first.

I think he has a default option, lets say he plans on going left. He looks at the keeper while he shoots, and if he senses that he's going left then he shifts and just puts the ball on the other side, which is why some of his penalties look badly placed. But to shoot while looking at the keeper, that takes some balls. So he doesn't guess, ever. He's shooting left, if keeper moves left, Kessie goes right. If the keeper stands his ground and waits then there's no chance he can reach the side that Kessie already had in mind since he'll be jumping late.

I'm overthinking this, but it's a really cool detail how he shoots his penalties.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
Here is a somewhat good view from the front.
https://youtu.be/OWy_Q2mWxTw?t=12905

He does stare at the GK until the very end, as shown in the picture from brk, and seems to look indirectly at the GK, from a peripheral vision, to spec the keeper, to see which side he jumps to, to then shoot the opposite side.

That is insane data processing.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Here is a somewhat good view from the front.
https://youtu.be/OWy_Q2mWxTw?t=12905

He does stare at the GK until the very end, as shown in the picture from brk, and seems to look indirectly at the GK, from a peripheral vision, to spec the keeper, to see which side he jumps to, to then shoot the opposite side.

That is insane data processing.

Well put. To me this is one of the most impressive things about Kessie. Sometimes he looks like robot scanning every micro movement as he's closing down an opponent

-
That 9.0 for the bootleg Dudek donkey :fp:

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
There?s a bit of stick here for dalot... I thought he did fine without really excelling. Perfect filler material.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Player evaluations

Tatarusanu 7 - he only had to save a PK and deny Torino's few attempts. He did!

Kalulu 8 - such a smooth player, he is fast strong and elegant and he doesn't commit silly fouls. He also has great awareness levels.

Mussachio 7 - a good game from him considering his layoff

Romagnoli 7.5 - made important interferences and pushed the team forward.

Dalot 6.5 - did his part, I like that he doesn't lose the ball cheaply. He has very good technique.

Tonali 7.5 - one of his best performances in a Milan shirt. He plays with elegance and is a maestro but he should improve his tackling.

Calabria 6 - put in a good effort but he is not so effective in midfield

Samu 5.5 - his best asset is his ball retention skills but attacking wise he has no end product.

Diaz 7.5 - he is very energetic and persistent. He drops in pockets and turns nicely on the ball but he does not have the playmaker passing skills yet.

Leao 6 - he showed some good movements as a CF but there were too many defenders to get a clear chance to shoot.

Ibrahimovic 6 - still rusty but a good call by Pioli to play him from the start for half a match.

Hauge 5.5 - he is not bad but he looks disoriented in this team because his timing is off. I felt that the other players did not want to pass him the ball anymore.

Calhanoglu 7 - he is probably our most important player, simply put. He can do a little bit of everything.

Kessie 7 - a midfield general, he keeps things tidy and the pressure ongoing.

Theo 6 - an okay performance

Holzer 6.5 - and interesting showing, looks good technically and has some aggression in him. I automatically thought of shipping off Samu and giving him the backup RW spot :lol:

.A.K.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka,Pato,Maldini,Inzaghi
i think this win will give us the confidence to take the league title

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Good: Tata, Alessio, Musa, Kalulu, Tonali.

Attacking phase wasn’t that good, first Ibra started after injury and did not look good. Hakan did not play. Samu & Hauge were poor like in the last 2-3 games.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Tonali's penalty was perfect!

Mussachio and Tata had good games. Nice to see

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
But that midfield with him + Calabria + Diaz just doesn't work and that's the reason our first half was pretty bad. Cala was not bad but he's not natural at all here, he is just a body around most of the time and our transition was very problematic with in the middle. Also, Diaz doesn't do nearly as much midfled work as Hakan does.
That midfield is struggling and it's the reason we've been badly losing possession every game since Benna got injured and it's really absurd how short our depth is for CM - and how many risks we're taking becuase of that. It's past time to get a real backup for CM.

we were much better moving the ball with calabria still on. and he was aso an attacking threat. hakan and leao did well for like 10mins and then both disappeared completely. we do miss benna but even with him on, we haven't really dominated possession.

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
i think this win will give us the confidence to take the league title

But the finishing has to improve. Yes it?s fine to hit the post and shoot straight at the keeper on the add occasion, but when we miss more than half a dozen of those in a game then that means some work needs to be done in training.

TAZIO.N

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
But the finishing has to improve. Yes it?s fine to hit the post and shoot straight at the keeper on the add occasion, but when we miss more than half a dozen of those in a game then that means some work needs to be done in training.

Pioli and Murelli certainly know what to do.See the resurgance of Tonali,Kalulu,Leao at CF role,Calabria at CM,Brahim finally plays at AM the way he should,I don't think that was coincidence at all...

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
Now we kept a clean sheet 3 games in a row. Thanks. LETS GO!

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Does Donnarumma's red card from the bench mean he misses games?

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
I wonder what he said. The ref didn't hesitate for one second

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I wonder what he said. The ref didn't hesitate for one second

Probably "What the fuck? You don't check VAR?" then some bad words :lol: and then gets red carded because ref/VAR don't do their job.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Very nice for the team to have 6 days off now. For the game against Atalanta we might have a (nearly) complete squad again. Minus the injuries & suspensions vs Cagliari offcourse.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tonali has his ups and downs, he makes one too many mistake every match but it's undeniable to me that the dude has a lot of talent and is growing in the role game after game. Today was one of his best matches.

Also I get why people talk shit about Diaz but he make things happen. He runs around a lot, he's always energetic and he get a lot of the ball and he tries everything. It's natural he also misses a lot but many of our chances passed though him today.

Leao was not good as CF today unlike the previous games. We badly needed a pivot but he couldn't do it and N'Koulou had him in the pocket most of the game.

Somewhat disagree. I think the main probem in the first half was the lack of chemistry between the front 4 & the fullbacks.
Ibra was missing the combinations with Hakan & Rebic. The others were missing a striker who moves, runs and presses more than Ibra.
Kalulu's runs was being ignored in the final third. Dalot wasn't on the same wavelength as the rest. Leao seemed wasted so far away from the box.

Our by far best period in the game was the first 15 mins of second half, before Calabria was replaced with Kessie, and Kalulu was moved to CB.
Diaz involved Kalulu and would progress where Samu stopped. Hakan came in and orchestrated things as usual.
Leao, as CF, allowed the attack to flow freely.
Calabria delivered some beautiful through-balls and was a Noce type of goal threat, which can't be said about any of our actual midfielders.

The rest of the 2nd half was nowhere as good as those first 15 mins.
Kessie retrieved balls much quicker than Calabria and Tona had done in the previous 60 mins, but the attack was nowhere as dangerous. Fatigue was probably a strong factor, but Dalot was awful at RB compared to Kalulu. Tonali had a more defensive approach than Calabria when he took over the RCM role, and this hurt an isolated Diaz in particular, but we were also missing Calabria's late runs.
On the left flank, Hauge is still struggling to form any sort of understanding with his teammates. It's like he's just an obstacle at times, which is sad to see because Hauge was the Hakan, the orchestrator of his former team. He needs to get on the same wavelength as the rest, and the rest need to accommodate him.

Kessie-Bennacer are obviously our best midfield duo, and normally I would not want someone like Calabria in the midfield. But in this particular game, with Diaz on the wing against Torino B in Coppa Italia, I felt Kessie-Tonali were being too reactive.