Official: Ignazio Abate Thread

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
He will open up so much space, and really widen our play, which is something we sorely lack.

with Abate running off KAKA/honda, it means the ball being smashed into the box for Balo/kaka/honda/robinho/pazzini to pounce on.

His crossing might not be great, but putting the ball in there and stretching the other team is something he can do well.

Plus, no bitch is going to run past him. Love watching others try and go by him, fools :D

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I don't get why he's not playing .DES win serie a lb of the year so it's clear that though not his favoured position he can play there ...and BE THE BEST in serie A at it .

meanwhile urby and abate offer the same in terms of speed and abate has the advantage on defensive awareness.i was concerned that after seedorf was in the club for 5 mins he was asking for urby to re signed .and now if I'm honest I will say I'm concerned about contradictory statements about playing players in their natural position cause urby is by no means a natural LB and again though des isn't either HE WAS VOTED THE BEST last season and he's 19 FFS so maybe it is his best position .also you have Honda out of position and also bonera ...surely his is next to the coach machine in the foyer.

is seedorf playing favourites ...well I don't know about that but it's clear he's being far too rigid in his approach .

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Nesta, Pippo, Pirlo, De Sciglio
Formation 352 and play him on cb is only hope for him. Is useless on wings... Maybe abate-rami - zapata will be good combo. And mexes....we need central defenders...

playing with the 3 at the back is only possible when you have quality cbs... that is basically what we need most, so its a suicidal idea.

albmovi

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get why he's not playing .DES win serie a lb of the year so it's clear that though not his favoured position he can play there ...and BE THE BEST in serie A at it .

meanwhile urby and abate offer the same in terms of speed and abate has the advantage on defensive awareness.i was concerned that after seedorf was in the club for 5 mins he was asking for urby to re signed .and now if I'm honest I will say I'm concerned about contradictory statements about playing players in their natural position cause urby is by no means a natural LB and again though des isn't either HE WAS VOTED THE BEST last season and he's 19 FFS so maybe it is his best position .also you have Honda out of position and also bonera ...surely his is next to the coach machine in the foyer.

is seedorf playing favourites ...well I don't know about that but it's clear he's being far too rigid in his approach .

Because Abate is better in defence then Emanuelson, i'm not talking for attack..

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
the fact is that abate has value so I see the reasoning behind selling him is

a- you honestly believe he cannot add quality to the team
b- if you are bringing in someone better.

the truth is though that DES is better than urby at lb and abate is better than urby at fullback full stop.why seedorf seems so happy with urby and not so with abate is very worrying .unlike abate I can't see what urby has offered to deem him the better player and enough with the des shit about having to play rb when he won an award for best lb in the league at what 19. we can't say if he is our best rb option cause he hasn't really proved that yet but he has at lb .I'd much rather see abate and des than urby and des and seedorf to a degree needs to get his head out of his ass.

lets be fair and say seedorf so far has made some bizarre choices in regards to preference and positions of players .

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
and I'm sick of people saying that the natural and best position for des is rb .he is 19 and hasn't played even 2 full seasons so how have we already determined he is better at rb.did he win an award for it?....is he dominating teams at rb currently ...no.the simple fact is we say it's his best position because he is right footed and that's it .he barely beats and man down the right side so I have no issues with him cutting in on his right from the left side .

fact remains still that he won an award at lb so at this stage it's his preferred position until proven otherwise and at 19 we still don't know what further potential he has in both roles.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
that award means shit, I am fine with anything. letting go of abate because only thing he can do is defend and play an aggressive lb or a new signing somewhere down the line.
Or lock abate and descilgio for couple of years if abate signs for a decent contract

And descilgio is a far batter Rb than a LB

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
that award means shit, I am fine with anything. letting go of abate because only thing he can do is defend and play an aggressive lb or a new signing somewhere down the line.
Or lock abate and descilgio for couple of years if abate signs for a decent contract

And descilgio is a far batter Rb than a LB

ok valid points .but why again is des a better lb than rb ?...last season the majority of his game time was at lb and everyone was jizzing on how good he was playing . this year he has played the majority at rb though he missed a lot of games and I can't say he's been setting the world a light despite the fact that I think he is a very good player.

maybe he is more comfortable at rb but that doesn't mean he's played better there .my argument is that for this season seeing as abate is still in the squad and ready to go I would prefer he and des to play (with des at lb ) than des and urby .

what we do next year remains to be seen .the club is looking at extending urby's deal and rumours have abate out .will a better player come in ...maybe but do we currently have the better player on the bench ..yes

and just so we are clear I'm not having a go at des and nor do I think abate is a world beater but I have very little faith a better player is coming in .

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Letting Abate leave would be a mistake.

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Whichever is economical, you know whats going to happen? we release abate for a young lb, he will flop and descilgio will get injured :fp: our rotten luck and we will be arguing about how wonderful abate was etc,

sometime having most of your team healthy is the biggest transfer of the season , milan cant catch a break for sometime

absolutely agree .

the only real argument for selling abate is that he has value .the truth is having him in the team is not a bad thing at all and I would prefer to move on urby or constant rather than abate but they have no value .

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Abate has to start for us.

Don't want him to go.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
If this continues for a few more days, I'll be convinced that Abate's agent is running a PR campaign through some of you.

and I'm sick of people saying that the natural and best position for des is rb .he is 19 and hasn't played even 2 full seasons so how have we already determined he is better at rb.did he win an award for it?....

Ok, forget the television judgement. Assuming you've played/still play football, have you known which your stronger side was?

Last edited:

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If this continues for a few more days, I'll be convinced that Abate's agent is running a PR campaign through some of you.

oh ok, ummm is that experience speaking with gallianis agent running a PR campaign through you an all?:monto:

Dzidzius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
CB? did anyone say we should play him as CB? :eek: he is RB who cant attack thats it, should we release him and search for a LB? I am all for releasing, selling assets which are overvalued and excessive but procurement of adequate replacements worries me.

I wish galliani took more risks. I would like to get hands on a young talented Lb so that we can lock up our fullback positions for years and focus on the CBs

I would play him RCB anyday. He is tough and fast and can be a nuisance to the player he marks. I can't imagine he would get as owned as Bonera gets, specially with the last goal that we lost. I know there is lots of press speculation but I don't believe that anything is decided yet. I also believe that after a couple of games against strong opposition we will go back to playing DES in the left.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
oh ok, ummm is that experience speaking with gallianis agent running a PR campaign through you an all?:monto:

:devilehh:

I can neither confirm nor deny the reports that I'm receiving $10.2 per post for the keywords 'Galliani', 'soft', 'fuzzy' and 'cuddly'.

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

Ok, forget the television judgement. Assuming you've played/still play football, have you known which your stronger side was?

I'm right footed so naturally the side I am most comfortable with is a right side and I understand des is more comfortable there.all I'm saying is he has played dam well on the left and for what we have right now abate is a better fullback than urby.if a fantastic lb is bought then ok maybe abate is surplus to requirement but right now our best lb is des regardless of what foot he is most comfortable with.people want santon here At lb and he is not right footed also.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm right footed so naturally the side I am most comfortable with is a right side and I understand des is more comfortable there.all I'm saying is he has played dam well on the left and for what we have right now abate is a better fullback than urby.if a fantastic lb is bought then ok maybe abate is surplus to requirement but right now our best lb is des regardless of what foot he is most comfortable with.people want santon here At lb and he is not right footed also.

1. De Sciglio does very well on the left, but it's evident that he's more comfortable on the right. He spends time shuffling the ball to his stronger foot when crossing and that is an extra effort, no matter how trivial. Moreoever, he is a guy who's likely to be to us what a De Rossi is to Roma. I would put such a person in the best possible circumstances.

2. More importantly than point 1, Abate represents exactly what Allegri represented to me last season. Someone who's dependable to an extent, but with a known threshold. If we are ever to get back to the level that we are used to, we must stop depending on players like Abate. His weaknesses are so evident and it is difficult to ignore that. Perhaps a better example is Marchisio for Juve. The kind of dependable player in bad times, but not the kind of player to have in your team if you're ambitiously building for the future. Let us assume that Milan are doing that.

3. Urby, for me, has been doing quite well at LB, improving in every match. Considering the way our forwards are (not) moving, wingbacks' role in attack is quite important at this point. That was evident from the Torino match. Even if there's an element of defensive security being sacrificed (not much, trust me. Abate is not that great. Ask Milito), I would go for the extra precision and proactivity that Urby offers in attack. With Abate, you know exactly what you're gonna get. Emanuelson has some level of unpredictability and flair.

Hence, Urby-De Sciglio is a better combo for me for this project than De Sciglio-Abate at this point. In the long-term, we may want to look for a better LB, but Abate is really not the solution for the long-term project that Seedorf wants to build.

p.s. Santon is mediocre. People are idiots.

Dzidzius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
RCb :fp: Thank god they management and coachin staff has similar idea

he is highly overrated without a very defensive RCM

The one manager(can't remember his name) that people were obsessively defending even when were in the bottom of Serie A table fielded Dinho as a SS, Prince as RW, Pirlo as LCM and tried a formation of 3 defenders with Bonera in the middle and Yepes on the left - just saying.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Abate is excellent defensively and better than given credit for offensively.

He is a top 10 RB in the game right now.

People's opinions of him are going to change when he goes to Juve or whoever after we continue to shove him aside for a painfully mediocre utility player.

I think very highly of DeS and dont think he is better than Abate on the right at the moment. He has way more potential, but there is no reason he cant be at LB right now.

asd

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Abate is a euro cup finalist and noticebly improved the azzurri team when he benched Maggio. Urby gives penalties to Genoa and gives us ties vs Torino, they are both also similar in age. Urby is backup only and if we lose Abate he won't be replaced with quality, just some fodder/free player(Boateng for birsa, nesta and t.silva for zapata etc). Not to mention with De Sciglio on the left and Abate on the right we have two Italian starters at the world cup. Not to mention this team lacks depth. And lol at mentioning the Milito goal, as I remember zanetti made a pass that let Milito beat our whole team and Abate was the only one chasing so he gets the blame.

VultureNut

Expiring Contract
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Vultures, Any free transfers, Fodder, Sub-par Fodder.
2. More importantly than point 1, Abate represents exactly what Allegri represented to me last season. Someone who's dependable to an extent, but with a known threshold. If we are ever to get back to the level that we are used to, we must stop depending on players like Abate. His weaknesses are so evident and it is difficult to ignore that. Perhaps a better example is Marchisio for Juve. The kind of dependable player in bad times, but not the kind of player to have in your team if you're ambitiously building for the future. Let us assume that Milan are doing that.

I understand your reasoning but with our limited resources I'd rather we addressed GK and CB and stick with Abate at RB, than try and get a new RB and limp on with the rest of our troubled defence. It's more about priorities than perfection at this moment in time.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
abate should stay at all costs, I don't trust quaresma to properly replace him.

resigning urby and letting abate go would be a typical :gt: move.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
abate should stay at all costs, I don't trust quaresma to properly replace him.

resigning urby and letting abate go would be a typical :gt: move.

I think that's the main issue I have, as well.

He'd be great if we were a counter-attacking team, where he was only needed to defend and sprint up the pitch quickly - but when he's needed to put accurate crosses in and contribute to the domination over other teams, he flounders insanely badly.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't give a fuck about his crossing, we need competent defenders.

urby is not prime dani alves at attack or even 1/10 as good so we can't ignore his defensive weaknesses.

Schedule