The Cricket Thread

Who's the player of the decade?

• Total voters

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Passion for *9* said:
Yea, radioactivenerd, don't be such a Bangla hater :o

Did I mention yet that I'm going to root for Bangla + WI ?

:D :D
I'm no Bangla hater, but unlike Ireland, they havent played any quality cricket at all. And i dont think I would be alone in that statement.
Very similiar to the way Kenya reached the world Cup Semis in the last edition, just riding on security concerns and the occasional win over another minnow.

I'm glad weve got a Bangla fan in the midst now. I was wondering why there isnt a single bangla person on this forum. Football is a VERY popular sport on the India-Bangla border, atleast on the India side. I assumed this passion would have moved over across the border too to some extent.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Yeah, Bangladesh is pretty shitty + we'll probably never hear the end of it from Bangladeshis we meet. But the fact they beat India just goes lengths to show how much change is indeed needed in Indian cricket. I mean, how the fuck can little Sri Lanka have *by far* a more quality side than India?

I'm already having images of what's the state of affairs in my Uncle's house ... my Aunt's Sinhalese + quite proud and vocal :rolleyes:

After a decent start, Bangla begin to wobble.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
The Cup has taken a back seat here ever since India crashed out. You won't believe me if I said that while the Windies v Australia match saw plenty of empty seats, the Super 8 clash between Bangladesh and Ireland is a sell out. Why? Because, if things had gone to plan, it would've been India v Pak. I am terribly interested in watching what the fans actually do during the match :D

Australia and New Zealand are looking very, very strong as of now. Sri Lanka, I hate to admit, are not looking that bad a proposition either, though barring the 4 ball burst against South Africa that saw them run the Proteas close, they looked pretty subdued against Smith's men.

Ireland are having a good tournament, and ran England close. England themselves seem to miss Trescothick and are badly in need of some stability in their top order. Collingwood has been their player of the tournament so far.

Bangla have not been the same side that beat India in their first match, and that's very, very hard to take, let me tell you. The disappointment of being eliminated in the 1st round would've been bearable had the Bangladeshis continued to play good cricket and had given a hard time to other sides too. But as things stand, they seem to have reverted back to playing like what they are: minnows. Its bloody frustrating.

My money is on Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka making the semis. I wish the Aussies get thrashed for obvious reasons and I am not rooting for SL as they eliminated us in the group stage. So I'll be happy to see either of New Zealand or South Africa lift the Cup :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Italian Tsar said:
You won't believe me if I said that while the Windies v Australia match saw plenty of empty seats, the Super 8 clash between Bangladesh and Ireland is a sell out. Why? Because, if things had gone to plan, it would've been India v Pak. I am terribly interested in watching what the fans actually do during the match :D
Yeah, the commentator just mentioned that. You've been rather quiet lately + I'd like to hear what changes you think have to be made to Indian cricket. Sure Bangla pulled a lucky number on us, but SL's defeat was rather emphatic.

Bangla, after a decent start, crumbled.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:
Yeah, the commentator just mentioned that. You've been rather quiet lately + I'd like to hear what changes you think have to be made to Indian cricket. Sure Bangla pulled a lucky number on us, but SL's defeat was rather emphatic.

Bangla, after a decent start, crumbled.
I've not been able to post as much as I'd have wanted to for a while now,owing to my being out of station more often than not.. :)

Before talking about the team, let me try to comment on what is, IMO, an even bigger problem: media coverage of the whole saga.

Our elimination has seen the media start a witch hunt of the players, the coach and administration, with calls for a massive chop and change (supposedly) growing by the day. 24/7 media coverage is in its nascent stages in India and the immature handling of such a powerful medium has left much to be desired. The various news channels and advertisers here just whip up the passion, create a false sense of 'patriotism' and then, when things go wrong, try to pin the blame on players and coaches alone. But I am convinced that this will change as time goes on and people become used to having broadcasters screaming into their ears about the supposed superiority of our team over others and we gain a sense of perspective.

On to cricketing matters. I think Sachin should promptly retire from ODIs, paving the way for other youngsters. His experience and timely insights are invaluable, but like Maldini, if he thinks he can balance both tests and ODIs, after 18 years of nearly non-stop cricket, he's sadly mistaken and that has seen him lower the impossible standards he set for himself when he was in his pomp. It was painful to watch Tendulkar furiously trying to play within himself in a bid to keep his wicket against Paul Harris, the debutant spinner, in the test series against South Africa earlier this season. And this was the same Tendulkar to whom a certain Shane Warne requested an autograph on his t-shirt after a particularly savage innings during Australia's tour of India some years back.

We should adopt the Australian method of selecting the best available XI for every game. If players don't perform it has to be made it known to them that they will be dropped. The Aussies dropped Steve Waugh when he wasn't pulling his weight around. Some of our superstars can do with a dose of domestic cricket.

Harbajhan Singh should either deliver, or be dropped. We can have Ramesh Powar instead. Or Murali Kartik. I am afraid Harbajhan has started feeling immune and much of the fault lies with our selectors who persisted with him despite repeated below-par performances and clung on to him, suggesting not-too-subtly that he is the heir to Kumble.

Agarkar should be dropped as well. There is a talk - just a talk, nothing more - doing the rounds that he's being picked consistently despite repeated failures only due to his close relationship with Sachin. I don't think Sachin is such a player, but he isn't performing, so he should be dropped. Munaf Patel too didn't impress too much in WI.

Apart from this, I don't think there's much wrong with the squad. It is the attitude that needs tinkering. Chappell got only 18 months to build and mould a team to his liking and that's not easy. I am not sure if firing Chappell is the answer, as is stripping Dravid of the captaincy. There would be a lot of people interested in the Australian's job, but there is no promising replacement in sight for the latter job.

We should also waste no time in preparing hard, bouncy pitches in India and do away with the practice of preparing belters and rank turners whenever India host a test series here. If batsmen don't grow up facing bounce, chances are, they'll struggle to suddenly make the leap in class when it comes to international level. I hate to mention Australia again, but they have all sorts of pitches there: devilishly quick pitches, hard, bouncy pitches, good turners, and good batting tracks. When players grow up playing on all those surfaces, they find it easy to deal with the different kinds of pitches they encounter all over the world.

There has long been talk of relaying our pitches. I think its about time we started.

Last edited:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
How bout them Kiwis!!!! Another bulletproof performance. I HOPE they win it!

Italian Tsar said:
I am not sure if firing Chappell is the answer, as is stripping Dravid of the captaincy. There would be a lot of people interested in the Australian's job, but there is no promising replacement in sight for the latter job.

Dravid has been a decent captain, but he is a bit too nice and laidback. We need someone a little more aggressive. All this is VERY easy to say, but much harder to do. As you mentioned, Dravid is by far the best option we have. Even if he lacks some aggression, he is a leader, and someone that every single person in the team respects. Is by far the best option we have, and id say we should stick with him.

Im not a fan of Greg Chappell at all. His first few months with the team were VERY controversial, and it was clear there was resentment in the dressing room over his methods, not so much his ideas. I dont think he ever gelled the team as well as John Wright had done, and I realy didnt see it happening even with more time. i would want a new coach - NOT any Indian. Mohinder Amarnath seems to step up each time the coach vacancy is advertised, and I have no desire for him to named the coach.
My ideal pick for coach of India would be Steve Waugh. I dont know if hes interested, or if he is happy living his post-competitive family life, but if there is any chance of him making a coaching return, he should come to us. He would definitely bring the aggression and never-say-die attitude needed in the cricket team, and would keep the morale high even at 100/5 in a game.

This is probably just wishful thinking, but then, Indian cricket has left us with precious little else at this moment.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
Dravid has been a decent captain, but he is a bit too nice and laidback. We need someone a little more aggressive. All this is VERY easy to say, but much harder to do. As you mentioned, Dravid is by far the best option we have. Even if he lacks some aggression, he is a leader, and someone that every single person in the team respects. Is by far the best option we have, and id say we should stick with him.
I too wish he was a bit more aggressive or rather, assertive in dealing with players. But nobody in the next generation is ready yet and Kaif, who I thought was captaincy material, is not even in the squad :mad:

Im not a fan of Greg Chappell at all. His first few months with the team were VERY controversial, and it was clear there was resentment in the dressing room over his methods, not so much his ideas. I dont think he ever gelled the team as well as John Wright had done, and I realy didnt see it happening even with more time. i would want a new coach - NOT any Indian. Mohinder Amarnath seems to step up each time the coach vacancy is advertised, and I have no desire for him to named the coach.
My ideal pick for coach of India would be Steve Waugh. I dont know if hes interested, or if he is happy living his post-competitive family life, but if there is any chance of him making a coaching return, he should come to us. He would definitely bring the aggression and never-say-die attitude needed in the cricket team, and would keep the morale high even at 100/5 in a game.

This is probably just wishful thinking, but then, Indian cricket has left us with precious little else at this moment.
We have a special relationship with Steve Waugh here and he'd be a popular choice. But he's tough as hell and won't hesitate to call a spade a spade. A forceful personality as a coach seems to have ruffled a few feathers in our team already. Wright was very accommodative with Ganguly and very much stayed out of the limelight, in part due to his low-profile personality and in part due to Ganguly's larger-than-life image as a forceful leader.

Amarnath is a great player and I don't know if he's done any coaching before. I too am sceptic of his success if appointed but if the man is known for anything, he's known for delivering when written off. I'd prefer someone like Bob Simpson, who stresses on the basics. The real deal is a tad old now so we'll have to look for someone in his mould, IMO.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Interesting new idea to change Indian cricket.
I think its a good start, and would be pretty popular, specially in the Twenty20 format:
Click here

Lets hope they revamp the football league too.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
There's a lot of stuff written + I'll have to absorb it first before I can make a clear statement. For e.g., the things you mentioned, Arun, about the media, I find hard to relate to (last time I visited India was in 92, I think) ... but is it that much different from, for e.g., the pressure the Italian media puts on it's NT?

But I do agree with you in that we should start adopting the, not only Australian, but logical methods in team selection. As for not changing the coaching staff + Captaincy, I really can't comment since I've not followed India prior to the tournament. But from the commentators point of view, we looked horrible in the field ... and the also mentioned that Jonty will be considering his options after the WC.

But I'm glad you tackled the pitches. Not only for batsmen, but for our bowlers. See, one thing I've never been able to understand is why Pakistan create top quality fast bowlers by the dozens while we don't. I thought things were about to change when Zaheer became a regular, hoping he was the first of many new young talents ... but that hasn't materialized.

Then, we've always (at least recently) been the best batting side. That seemed to make up, if you may, for the weak bowling I felt we always had. But now that's even gone sour ...

This makes me lead to think that drastic changes must be made all-round. From the coaching staff, captaincy, players + probably even parts of the Indian Cricket Federation, etc. But haven't followed at all so am probably wrong.

PS. Ireland-RSA : Rain stops play ... :rolleyes:

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
Interesting new idea to change Indian cricket.
Quite interesting, yeah. I'd like to see how it shapes up.

Lets hope they revamp the football league too.
That's something long overdue :o

madtherchot said:
For e.g., the things you mentioned, Arun, about the media, I find hard to relate to (last time I visited India was in 92, I think) ... but is it that much different from, for e.g., the pressure the Italian media puts on it's NT?
The pressure on the Italian NT is much, much more but that's only because Italy already have a great tradition of football, have some of the biggest sides playing there week in week out, and they've also been international heavyweights for a while now.

The public, too, is not as much knowledgeable about cricket as Italians are about football. I guess it'll take some time for the majority of people to really start appreciating the importance of factors like the pitch, bowling and batting conditions etc. But the number (of supporters) is HUGE and I can see the pressure only increasing.

madtherchot said:
and the also mentioned that Jonty will be considering his options after the WC.
It'd be a coup if we land him. But I am not sure - and I may be wrong - if he'll want to come to the sub-continent, after what happened with Woolmer. Probably the Aussies or the English will snap him up :head:

But I'm glad you tackled the pitches. Not only for batsmen, but for our bowlers. See, one thing I've never been able to understand is why Pakistan create top quality fast bowlers by the dozens while we don't. I thought things were about to change when Zaheer became a regular, hoping he was the first of many new young talents ... but that hasn't materialized.
It is true we've never produced genuinely quick fast bowlers on a consistent basis. We have Munaf and Sreesanth now, who can hit 140 km/h on a consistent basis, but we would be so much better off with bowlers who can bowl the off-stump line, ball in ball out. Precision is something we seem to lack. A while back, there was a talk about nurturing young talent from the Gujarat, Rajastan,Punjab areas but only Munaf has emerged so far. We also have to be worried about the decline in the number of quality spinner in India.

madtherchot said:
This makes me lead to think that drastic changes must be made all-round. From the coaching staff, captaincy, players + probably even parts of the Indian Cricket Federation, etc.
Its started. Chappell resigns...

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/288789.html]

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Ah ... England - SL. Should be a small test for the high credentials pundits have given SL. I'm for England on this one ;) (for the first time since I can remember + in any type of sport) :D

Mahmood strikes ... Jaya out :)

Mahmood strikes again ... Sanga out :)
Not a bad bowler. He's got a good line + nice pace variation. Anderson's also bowling well, but has been unlucky. Can't wait to so Vaas + Malinga on this pitch though ...

England did well :eek: Let's hope their batting top order shows up.

Final Edit :D : Close game, as it turned out. IMO, England's top starters take a heap of the blame ... also, maybe Monty's fielding, LOL. Tough luck Bopara.

Last edited:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:

Hmm im actually looking forward to this. Ravi Shastri seems like a smarter human than Mohinder Amarnath, or even gavaskar for that matter, and would marshall the tteam better.
Ive never seen him play, so I dont know what his character is like, but from his commentary he seems objective, and to-the-point. Which is welcome at this point.
heck anything is welcome at this point.

I also like the idea of Robin Singh being a fielding coach. Definitely one of the better fielders weve produced in the past. Not sure about Venkatesh Prasad as the bowling coach, but there really arent many candidates out there, if they want to stay indian.

All in all a good change. Hopefully we can get some revenge against the banglas and kill them in the upcoming series.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oh and lets hope south africa break our reacord for the biggest ever win in a one-day. I want the banglas to get BLOWN off the field.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The bangladeshi pieces of shit btw are 248/7 agains the proteas.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
no prizes for guessing who beat south africa today.
im getting pissed off now.
sfhsjkgfsdfklsfksd
first valencia
then south africa
thank god atleast milan won.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
With the Bangladeshi (of all teams :rolleyes: ) loss, there goes the number spot in the rankings. Really disappointing from them and really a huge loss of confidence. I wouldn't be surprised even if the Proteas don't make the Semis.

Clarke is really batting well in big games. I think most of the Aussie team is in form and thats were they edge out the rest of the competition.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Smith again a bit too casual ... careless ... out for 7. WI have a good start.

Oh well, lets hope Kallis and De Villiers build a partnership ... don't want any to go out similar to the Bangla disaster. Well, I'm off to a pub with some mates.

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
:D

Well the did beat the number one ranked team. But with South Africa taking a major step the Semis by beating WI, I think the Bangla Boys have just two formality matches to play :devil3: before their trip home. All credit to them + Ireland though, being determined (in all their games) to prove they reached the Super8s on merit. Can't wait to see who wins that game.

Good bounce back by RSA.

Lara retires from ODIs.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
Bangla Boys still going strong ? YAY :D
bangla bastards nearly beat england yesterday as well!
today is a huge game though - new zealand vs sri lanka, and first REL test for new zealand. they havent faced any of the major threats yet,(aussies, sth africa, sl) and this is a huge game to see just how good they are.
lets hope they pull it off
lasith malinga is out, and that will make life considerably easier for the kiwis.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
radioactivenerd said:
lasith malinga is out, and that will make life considerably easier for the kiwis.
Heard he'll be out for at least 2 weeks. England still in with a fighting chance especially since they play RSA + Sri Lanka now have th Aussies + Kiwis to deal with.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Jeez bring on the Kiwi's. Irish don't mind them we can just rest a couple of players. Pommy's we absolutely hammered them. Hope they are happy with the VB Series cause thats the only thing they are going to win.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Paolo said:
Jeez bring on the Kiwi's. Irish don't mind them we can just rest a couple of players. Pommy's we absolutely hammered them. Hope they are happy with the VB Series cause thats the only thing they are going to win.
The kiwis are currently the only team that seem to have a good shot at beating australia.
As i said before though, they havnet really faced classy teams yet, so this is a big test.
btw
they are currently struggling a little at 33/2 after 11 overs.
Fleming and taylor out for ducks.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wow SL even beats New Zealand. I just havent stopped getting more and more impressed by this team as th tournament has gone on. Theyre not MY favs, but they do deserve the cup if they keep playing this way.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
3 wickets for 2 runs... Tait almost with a hattrick. McGrath with the other wicket.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^^^LOL
this game will be over in a couple of hours.