Vincenzo Montella Thread

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
You could see from the lineup chosen today that it would be the most static team ever with terrible off the ball movement. Even if we dominated possession we would have struggled to score. 3 centerbacks, 2 static midfielders, a static trequartista, a left back who lacks the legs to play wingback and cover the entire flank, a striker who prefers the ball to feet, and then Borini and Cutrone the only ones who move decently off the ball. A 0-0 does not surprise me one bit.

Vincenzo.....here is your recipe:

Abate/Calabria Bonucci Romagnoli/Musacchio RR

Suso/Hakan Kessie/Monto Biglia/Loca Bona/Borini

Andre Silva Cutrone/Kalinic

I don't want to see Suso and Hakan in the same team in a 442 as one of the wide midfielders needs to be making off the ball runs towards goal, and Bona and Borini are the ones better at that. Bona/Borini have more dynamism so need to play from the left side.

If Montella wants to morph to a 3 man backline in game he can do it with these same players on the pitch......Bona/Borini as Leftwingback and Abate/Calabria as rightwingback.......but must play 2 strikers and a dynamic runner to have any hope of scoring goals.

442 is also a very good shape to get right defensively and we can switch it up to how we played early last season......remember when we praised Montella for being pragmatic and getting the team to defend properly and counter? We got results and then slowly but surely started to add in a bit more of the Montella style, but we did not have the players to be successful with it then.

Please recognise that this situation is almost like our very early season last year Vincenzo and bring back that pragmatic side to get results. We can always give it another go in the market next year to get the right players, but we need to be top 4 to be able to do that. It is damage control at this point now, not trying to build something new.
:star::star::star::star::star::thumbsup:

Stevie and Ray Charles (from beyond) already see that a 4-4-2 and the tactics involved in that formation would be best bet....but Bontella hasn't seen it yet :proud:

For some ungodly reason he keeps tying Milan's fate to Bonucci's inability to play CB in a flat back 4. At this (desperate) stage Bonucci and his alleged quality needs to be sacrificed for Milan to get results.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
bonucci had excellent performances in a back 4 for juve when allegri switched to 4132 in 14/15 and 4231 in 16/17

we live in a world where people doubt a 6x champion and hype a kid from a weak league who scored less than half the goals bas dost scored.

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
cant count how much i hate this guy, just gtfo asap please, and never come back

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bonucci had excellent performances in a back 4 for juve when allegri switched to 4132 in 14/15 and 4231 in 16/17

we live in a world where people doubt a 6x champion and hype a kid from a weak league who scored less than half the goals bas dost scored.

If a watermelon was part of the Juventus squad during those championships it would have scudetto medals too :fp:

The "weak league" argument is horseshit. So many fantastic, Ballon 'D Or level players came from these weak leagues that it does not even merit addressing.

This is not a matter of doubt vs hype. This is a matter of watching the games to see who performs, who doesn't perform, and who shows promise.

If you actually watched our games, you can see that Bonucci has been shit...and Silva, while not producing what we hoped he would produce, shows that he can produce if we support him a tad. He can beat one, maybe two defenders to create the space to shoot, but he's not Neymar or Messi level. He also isn't slow but can't really beat ppl with speed. So he needs, to get the ball close to the top of the box before the defense has organized and converged on him. For this we either need a proper way to move the ball up the field. We don't have this consistently, so we can't expect consistency.

Our other strikers have it worse, because they can only make their off the ball runs, in and around the box and try to finish off moves....but given that the ball didn't even reach midfield much, they are even less effective than Silva. They might get a scrap here and there but that's all their influence. Again, not their fault.

As I said earlier, we're at the stage where sacrifices and tough decisions need to be made. I hoped that Bonucci would have automagically turned into Nesta 2.0 here and would have captained us into the promised land. As it turns out, for Milan he is a very weak marker and his supposed strength, passing out of the defense isn't particularly useful for a team that has 0 sense of positioning. Hence he's been shit. He wouldn't always be shit. But for now, strictly as a centre back, he's not effective. That's not hard to see.

I really shouldn't have to explain this to you if you've been watching our games. What Bonucci did in the past and what he's won in the past doesn't matter. $heva came to Chelsea as a Golden Ball, CL and Scudetto winner....and was shit. Why he was shit didn't matter. He didn't do his job as a striker for Chelsea and Mourinho decided to bench him regardless of his reputation. Drogba, who came from the shit French League, did more and thus played :mb:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
bonucci gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a champion, nobodies don't..it is what it is.

+ why did andre silva score less than half the goals bas dost scored?

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bonucci gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a champion, nobodies don't..it is what it is.

+ why did andre silva score less than half the goals bas dost scored?

IDK Maybe Silva is MUCH younger than Dost and plays in a more withdrawn role perhaps?

Why Did Shevchenko score less than one third the goals Yakubu scored in the Prem?

We can play this dumb game all day.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
because shevchenko was past it and couldn't cut the mustard in a more physical league.

andre silva is not half as good as bas dost..that's the truth.

and I wouldn't want milan to sign bas dost.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
because shevchenko was past it and couldn't cut the mustard in a more physical league.

andre silva is not half as good as bas dost..that's the truth.

and I wouldn't want milan to sign bas dost.

I have no facts that Silva isn't as good as Dost. That's your opinion.
The opinion of other top clubs like Barca and Arsenal is that he's a very talented striker.

You're comparing a 28 year old out-and-out striker at his peak with a 21 year old who is getting better with time. You're also comparing a ss in a team where he doesn't get the ball with a player at the tip of the spear who gets it often :fp:

You think Romagnoli is shit too even though I think he's been one of our better CB's this season. We all have our opinions I guess.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Whoaaa so much moaning :eek: he'll be gone sooner or later, chill people.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no facts that Silva isn't as good as Dost. That's your opinion.
The opinion of other top clubs like Barca and Arsenal is that he's a very talented striker.

You're comparing a 28 year old out-and-out striker at his peak with a 21 year old who is getting better with time. You're also comparing a ss in a team where he doesn't get the ball with a player at the tip of the spear who gets it often :fp:

You think Romagnoli is shit too even though I think he's been one of our better CB's this season. We all have our opinions I guess.

I'm comparing a player who cost this club 38 million euros with other strikers who scored double the amount he did in the same league.

let's imagine romangoli was actually milan's best cb this season, still doesn't change the fact that they are all playing like shit..which makes him shit.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I'm comparing a player who cost this club 38 million euros with other strikers who scored double the amount he did in the same league.

let's imagine romangoli was actually milan's best cb this season, still doesn't change the fact that they are all playing like shit..which makes him shit.

:rolleyes: I can't see how you actually understand that the entire team is playing shit but somehow keep singling out Silva for our harshest criticism. It's absurd. The price tag means jack shit in this discussion due to the sheer number of variables that affect the comparison:
-different league
-different position
-different age and stages in career
-different team condition

All of your analyses are comically biased. You can't put a fish in oil and expect him to swim as well as one in water.
Meanwhile, your argument gets all nuanced and shit when it comes to Bonucci...you recognize that the team has problems and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.....but not the guy who leaves Milan for the international break and shows he can score if given support...comes back to Milan gets nothing and suddenly he's shit again according to you :fp:

Last edited:

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Fuck you're right I never looked at it this way. I always knew we should've signed Di Natale instead of Ibrahimovic in 2010/11. I mean why did Di Natale score double the amount of goals Ibrahimovic did in the same league in the same season?

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuck you're right I never looked at it this way. I always knew we should've signed Di Natale instead of Ibrahimovic in 2010/11. I mean why did Di Natale score double the amount of goals Ibrahimovic did in the same league in the same season?

was a better player that season, no doubt.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think that stupid comment to the fan is what will get him fired eventually.

F&M would have stretched it out longer otherwise due to the lack of an alternative.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Sage getting butchered &#55357;&#56468;&#55357;&#56468;&#55357;&#56468;&#55357;&#56468;

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
So will Montella be sacked if we lose badly here? I'd rather he stayed than have Gattuso if he is the only alternative. These are depressing times the football is boring, no creativity and no goals. Football Italia have an article where Conte may not last much longer as Chelsea boss. This is a dream at the moment. If Ancelotti is not interested and Conte gets the sack or walks mid-season then I would want Montella out immediately.

https://www.football-italia.net/112365/milan-eye-conte-chelsea-row

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
How many points can Montella lose before he gets sacked?

We've dropped so many points and we're so far off 4th.

It's not impossible, but if we keep him on despite him losing to Sampdoria, dropping points to Genoa and whoever else then we're fucking ourselves over

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
I'm sure F&m have decided he's gone...unless he miraculously manages top 4 .... I'm sure they are delaying because no suitable alternative is available..

Then again looking at the aek Athens game..anyone would probably do a better job..

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
It's at the point where I'd rather we have someone else who's losing but trying something else than Montella.

Would you rather have us losing points with Montella who's doing the same thing and playing the same shit football or losing points with Mazzarri.

It'd at least look like we're attempting to win.

It's like we're spinning our wheels, scared to do anything.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I just want someone that can win the europa league, the league is over for me.

season starts in february.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Allegri got sacked by Sassuolo. Let's see what happens to Vincenzo.

I'm still hoping that we play badly enough for him to get sacked and lucky enough to win the game.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Official: Mister Vincenzo Montella Thread

We winning tonight and we will beat napoli too, followed by 6 undefeated matches

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
We winning tonight and we will beat napoli too, followed by 6 undefeated matches

We'll draw this.

Lose 2-0 to Napoli but not look utterly horrendous and Montella will survive, because I mean we only just lost to Napoli.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
2-0 to Napoli? and the rest