Europa League Round Of 16: Man United - Milan 11/03/2021 18:55 CET

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Nick an away goal but play very defensive and hope they come on us and we try catch them on the break with the pace of Leao, Theo and Rebic if he's back. United love to counter with an abundance of pace in attack so a high line would be suicidal

Anyone know if Ibra will be back for the second leg?

taura

Attaccareeee
Reaction score
Nick an away goal but play very defensive and hope they come on us and we try catch them on the break with the pace of Leao, Theo and Rebic if he's back.

Anyone know if Ibra will be back for the second leg?

Iirc Ibra should be available for the return leg yea

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
That away goal will be huge

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Play defensive, they don’t have ideas like goodfella pointed out. If you look at their record in games, it’s almost all 0-0 draws. But that’s typically with them sitting back and taking the pressure. They’re not as good in other types of games and it’s why they are like 12 points down from man city in the table.

This will be a tough one, if you look at the first leipzig game, some recent games against psg, how they blew up a decent team in sociedad, if you come at them they will counter you hard. Rashford out is big, he’s just a great athlete and would be hard to deal with. Their right side is more defensive similar to ours, so theo and rebic(if they play) vs their right side will be a big battle also. Wan bissaka is also a great 1v1 defender and theo in particular will have to be careful, although he offers Jack shit going forward.

More than fine with playing a low risk game and seeing where we stand a week from now.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
nice to see a game against stronger team from europe but im not sure why people are so excited here - we will have much more starting eleven similar to what we have against hellas than our main team.

from what i heard mu plays in 2 ways - against stronger teams they defend deep and counter and against weaker they press and try to score after mistake because they suck in positioning attack.

they rely on rashford, bruno and pogba as creativity force and 2 of them may not to play against us.

not sure what will be our idea how to score/win without benna, hakan and ibra... long balls to rebic+leao??

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
nice to see a game against stronger team from europe but im not sure why people are so excited here - we will have much more starting eleven similar to what we have against hellas than our main team.

umm....precisely for that reason?

I was pessimistic after the draw because I was expecting yet another failed high press or high line with passengers, liabilities, unfit lightweight players and slow defenders. Another 3-0 or 5-0 defeat in a big game. Pioli and the team are flexible and they've shown they can play different types of games, but with Ibra there seems to be only the "ambitious" way. Ibra's combination of a great hold-up play and lack of mobility for a counter-based game is like a poisonous mix for our naive players. It's better to not have him on the pitch at all when the right conditions for high press or a possession game don't exist.

Manure might win this, even by 3-0, but that is less likely to happen now than what it looked like 3 weeks ago.

not sure what will be our idea how to score/win without benna, hakan and ibra... long balls to rebic+leao??

Counters, over-the-top balls to Rebic or Leao.
Theo joining in.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not gambling on Theo at Old Trafford unless kjaer starts. Regardless of whether rashford plays or not, if Noli is exposed on a 1 on 1 vs any of United's forwards including someone like Daniel James then we are screwed. Dalot is a must for a Noli start.

Dalot, Theo, Noli, Kjaer........I don't really care.
There's up and downsides to all those options.

Kjaer is better than Noli, but Tomori-Noli have more experience together, plus I think Tomori looks more comfortable at RCB.
And there's Samu, Krunic and Kessie to prevent a 1 on 1.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I’m not totally sure a fully fit in form Milan team would necessarily get crushed by them. It would be possible for sure, I was worried after the draw because they really are much better in big games where they can counter, seen that against sociedad, psg, first game against leipzig.

But execution is important. The flip side to that is that United has had like 5 goalless draws against top 6 teams in Europe, with a whopping two open play goals against top 6 epl teams as well. Similar to Milan, they have a young team and they are very on or off. Rashford and martial kill it when they’re on, and when they’re not they’re useless. Leipzig showed in the second game against them you can still dominate them playing that aggressive style if you 1) make slight adjustments and 2) execute. You have to put the ball in the net when the chances come, don’t waste opportunities. I do think it’s right to go in with a cautious lineup and game plan, we have to with the absences, what I’m more worried about is just individual quality. Tactics and systems are important but talent matters, and games are still typically decided by individual moments of quality. Tactics are there to ensure the players are in thee right places to express their quality. Over reliance on rigid tactical systems is what has killed Italy in Europe for a while, look at conte always underachieving. Point is, if Krunic Samu and Alexis continuously lose the ball on Thursday, they will pile a lot of pressure on us and the counter attack approach will be for nothing. Hopefully krunic is still in a confident mood and Leao can pull something out of his ass. He can dribble their CBs if he feels like it

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Interesting thing is that when Leipzig beat United to make it out of their CL group, Angeli?o was their outlet in transition and absolutely tore United apart that game. If Pioli could get that out of theo it would be nice

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I?m not totally sure a fully fit in form Milan team would necessarily get crushed by them.

Me neither. That team didn't get crushed by anyone.

What I don't want is a high press or possession game when we don't have a fully fit in form Milan team.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Make Italy proud plz

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree. People here get too fixated on tactics anyway. We could win 9/10 games with one lineup and then lose one match and people here will blame Pioli for not moving this player to X position, for starting so and so, not gameplanning for this...when in reality it was more like a bad day at the office. When patterns start to show is when adjustments need to be made, and there is certainly a pattern for Milan this season losing when getting overly ambitious in some games.

I’m concerned with who is going to generate some offense for us though. We’re all focusing on defense, how we are going to prevent a 3-0 loss but it’s important to have some threat going forward, to relieve pressure on the backline and to make the opponents honest and weary of a counter. I think Rebic and Theo will play, but AWB is one of the worst fullbacks for them to come up against. He is a limited player, shit going forward and positioning not great, but 1v1 he is an incredible athlete and hard to beat. Rebic and Theo are used to being the better athlete in these situations and they will not be able to bully him. They will have to find other ways to get involved in attack, Id like to see rebic in the box more.

I also wonder if Tonali or Meite will play. I’m not totally sure about Meite, some games he looks far too lazy and some he looks very good. I’d love to just play Kessie and Meite and have two physical players there, but if Meite plays lazy Bruno will eat that space all day long. Tonali has some pace and some decent defensive games but is very hot or cold also, and with his confidence at his age playing a big game like this might be a lot. I’m leaning Meite

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree. People here get too fixated on tactics anyway. We could win 9/10 games with one lineup and then lose one match and people here will blame Pioli for not moving this player to X position, for starting so and so, not gameplanning for this...when in reality it was more like a bad day at the office. When patterns start to show is when adjustments need to be made, and there is certainly a pattern for Milan this season losing when getting overly ambitious in some games.

I?m concerned with who is going to generate some offense for us though. We?re all focusing on defense, how we are going to prevent a 3-0 loss but it?s important to have some threat going forward, to relieve pressure on the backline and to make the opponents honest and weary of a counter. I think Rebic and Theo will play, but AWB is one of the worst fullbacks for them to come up against. He is a limited player, shit going forward and positioning not great, but 1v1 he is an incredible athlete and hard to beat. Rebic and Theo are used to being the better athlete in these situations and they will not be able to bully him. They will have to find other ways to get involved in attack, Id like to see rebic in the box more.

I also wonder if Tonali or Meite will play. I?m not totally sure about Meite, some games he looks far too lazy and some he looks very good. I?d love to just play Kessie and Meite and have two physical players there, but if Meite plays lazy Bruno will eat that space all day long. Tonali has some pace and some decent defensive games but is very hot or cold also, and with his confidence at his age playing a big game like this might be a lot. I?m leaning Meite

Yeah, AWB is known as a tackle merchant. We'll need a special Spanish connection between Samu and Theo to get the better of him.

With Rebic and Theo I think we can be lethal on the break. With Leao there's probably not going to be consistency or cohesive moment, but he has his moments and hopefully this will be one of those games where we got to see his individual brilliance.

I'd pick Meite too. There's huge flaws in his game and he comes across as lethargic at times, but he's harder to get past than Tonali. The aerial dominance of our midfielders was a huge part of the performance against Verona. Both are gambles but I think Meite is the safer bet.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fred and Mctominay will lose the ball but they run and cover. Kinda hoping Matic plays, with him and their center backs we could have a speed advantage of our own maybe.

I would love to see Leao put Maguire slab head on his ass or something. I also hope Telles plays over Shaw. I guess a lot depends really on who Ole picks for his team

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Nobody said we will not need to score. We will just not be trying to score from EVERY angle in this game. We could take advantage of counter-attacks and set pieces or even a penalty but you know this team is tiki-taka rejects. We fucking suck when we try to dominate possession. Don't even try to press them on the wings if we know their FB's have a physical advantage. They suck with the ball and going forward and are good in defense so pressing them is a total nonsense. City showed us why pressing United would be a bad idea. Our FB's can push forward for a shot on goal but camping around their corner areas would be suicidal.

Also nobody is mentioning Pioli, stop reacting so quickly and relax. A series of bad days at the office will turn into a disastrous season.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Was looking forward to this match, but then I remembered that we have to rely on krunic

- united have been good in big matches this season. Milan need to sit back and try to hit them on the counter. Hopefully we score on the few chances we create.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Really enjoyed reading this back and forth between Balo and Goodfella. Let's see how your perspectives pan out in the game.

This will be a big test for Pioli. If he wants the squad to prove who we are with a powerful display then it might backfire, but something tells me he'll be smart about this.

I just hope we prove to be a really hard team to play.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Was looking forward to this match, but then I remembered that we have to rely on krunic

- united have been good in big matches this season. Milan need to sit back and try to hit them on the counter. Hopefully we score on the few chances we create.

Yup... that explains why they started the season in the UCL, and are now playing us on Thursday Night Football

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
dw guys, we have rade de kruynic

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Rashford is gonna be out for at least the 1st leg of the tie... good news as his pace could trouble romagnoli/kjaer

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Will Kessie or Bruno be the real penalty king in this tie?

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
qaas when leao scores against his favourite team:

7iwF.gif

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Rashford is gonna be out for at least the 1st leg of the tie... good news as his pace could trouble romagnoli/kjaer

Martial, James still playing. Even Greenwood cant be given space because though he isnt fast he has a really good shot so that backing off technique would play straight into his hands.
Rashford is usually best center left anyhow which means more Tomori Calabria problem though not putting it pass Utd to outright attack Theo and Romagnoli.

Glamour tie though - many players have the chance to step up and show their talent to a much wider audience.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Paguma Larvata

Milan Icon
Reaction score
United are going to tear us a new one. I fear a 4-0 thumping or worse. That said, better we get out of this shit tournament at the earliest and focus on the league. The longer we stay the more injuries we add and jeopardize our chance of top 4 finish. Fuck EL!

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
United are going to tear us a new one. I fear a 4-0 thumping or worse. That said, better we get out of this shit tournament at the earliest and focus on the league. The longer we stay the more injuries we add and jeopardize our chance of top 4 finish. Fuck EL!

Its probably the only time some people are going to see Milan play and that is what you are expecting???

:lol::lol::lol::lol: super weird take.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I know Leao has been shitty lately, but this is a good chance for him to step up. He seems to do ok in big games and he can give their slow center backs a problem if he’s up for it(big if).

Everyone’s turned on him but not too long ago he was looking like he had taken a step up this season. And everyone is now focused on stopping United from scoring but with everyone out injured Leao is our only X factor on the field. I have a feeling he will create some chances

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score

That 4-0 loss would tell Maldini to not be happy with Mandzukic, Meite, Krunic, Calabria, Samu and such shits.

I hope for a win obv.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
That 4-0 loss would tell Maldini to not be happy with Mandzukic, Meite, Krunic, Calabria, Samu and such shits.

I hope for a win obv.

Do you think Calabria has been good this season?

Schedule