Week 17: Milan - Fiorentina 22/12/18 15:00 CET

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Another really tough match for us, considering the circumstances. No Kessie and Bakayoko in the middle of the pitch is going to be interesting for this game, not sure what Gattuso will do but it’s looking likely that Mauri will pair up with Bertolacci or Montolivo. Scary to even imagine that but it could be reality for this fixture.

Both teams in recent form haven’t been impressive, Milan have taken 9 points from our past 6 games. While Fiorentina have taken 7 points from their past 6, in saying that though Fiorentina just broken their winless streak which was at 5 games last week at home against Empoli (3-1).

The only positive I can see coming out from Milan’s recent result is we doubled our point differential on Lazio from 1 to 2, if someone had of offered us to be in the position we were in right now at the start of the season I think most of us would’ve broken their hand off for it.

Even though Milan’s recent poor form has been frustrating we seem to have corrected a major flaw in our game which was our defence, we’ve only conceded 4 in our last 6 games while keeping 4 clean sheets along the way. Whereas the Viola have conceded 9 in their last 6 only keeping one clean sheet, perhaps Higuain and others may get an extra chance or two with Fiorentina’s leaky defence.

Maurizio Mariani will officiate Milan-Fiorentina on Saturday‬

My expected line up: 442
Donnarumma, Calabria, Zapata, Romagnoli, Rodriguez, Suso, Mauri, Bertolacci, Calhanoglu, Cutrone, Higuain

I really don’t want to start Hakan but Gattuso will start him I have no doubt in that, I think it would be wise to start Laxalt in this game to give a lending hand in defence as we have an extremely shaky midfield for this game.

I doubt Montolivo gets the nod ahead of Mauri or Berto as he hasn’t featured in one minute of play this season.

I hate this 442 formation but we’re left with absolutely no chance atm.

Prediction: 3-2 Milan, Suso to be the difference here and Cutrone to score the winner. Expect goals as Milan’s midfield doesn’t offer much protection to our backline and Fiorentina have had a few open games recently.

Some interesting facts on each team:
- AC Milan conceded at least 1 goal in 88% of their home matches.
- 78% of AC Milan's conceded goals occured in the second half.

- 77% of Fiorentina's points have been earned at home.
- Fiorentina have scored 71% of their goals at home.
- Fiorentina have drawn their last 4 away matches.
- Fiorentina have failed to win in their last 8 away matches.
- 41% of Fiorentina's conceded goals occurred after the 75th minute.

Last edited:

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
:thumbsup: Nice match thread opener Donato!

Things seem bleak with very limited midfield options. Tuttos**** are reporting the possibility of Ale in midfield but whichever way it is added up it doesn't look good. Still, Gigio is hitting a rich vein of form and I hope the boys will dig deep and pull through with a win.

Maybe the silver lining is that Gazidis, Leo and Paolo will concentrate on getting us 2 more quality midfielders in addition to Paqueta as opposed to any central defenders. Only if we get the opportunity to sign Godin should we even think about adding to the defence. A left winger and a third striker would also be nice but priority is quality starting midfielders.

Forza Milan!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Please please 4-3-3. Hakan in the midfield.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Please no Montolivo, I beg you god.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'd do either

---Castillejo------Higuain-------Suso----

-----Hakan--------Mauri------Bertolacci-----

------------------Defense----------------

or if Gattuso really can't stand having both Mauri and Berto play together, then

-------------Higuain---Suso--------
---Laxalt----Hakan---Mauri----Castillejo/Conti---

-----------------Defense-----------

But please not Higuain-Cutrone attack. Penalizes both players.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
This match will age me by at least 6 months.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
The most exciting thing about this game will be seeing if Montodict Arnold mutinies or not.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
I'd do either

---Castillejo------Higuain-------Suso----

-----Hakan--------Mauri------Bertolacci-----

------------------Defense----------------

or if Gattuso really can't stand having both Mauri and Berto play together, then

-------------Higuain---Suso--------
---Laxalt----Hakan---Mauri----Castillejo/Conti---

-----------------Defense-----------

But please not Higuain-Cutrone attack. Penalizes both players.

God bless you for devising a plan that excludes Montolivo :heart:

Second one seems like a winner. Hakans defensive workrate isn't bad. We'll be worse defensively but with Hakan and Mauri coming deep we'll be more creative there than usual. Laxalt is the big hole here obviously, hoping he wont have a poor game.

montolivo is 1000x the player bertolacci is

1000x0 is still 0 friend.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
55.000 fans are expected to be present at San Siro for #MilanFiorentina tomorrow. [Corriere della Sera]

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:thumbsup: The San Siro faithful have been the rockstars this season.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
55.000 fans are expected to be present at San Siro for #MilanFiorentina tomorrow. [Corriere della Sera]
Those poor bastards.

Should make the entire squad sing them some xmas songs.

You know cos they suck at playing ball.

m1lan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Hope we can somehow get 3 points out of this. The midfield will be an absolute shambles. Maybe Gattuso can devise a game plan to win this game.

Great match thread by the way.

Forza Milan!!!!!!

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
very interesting game. not sure why but i'm excited for this game. i feel we can get positive result here. unlike bologna, fiorentina will play attacking game which can be a huge plus for higuain, suso and hakan. i have no problem starting mauri in a 433. playing 442 means starting two of mauri, berto and monto which is no good as they have barely played and we'd lack subs if they fuck up. if we concede first, it would be huge psychological blow so players need to concentrate and look out each other's back.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
CDS reporting that we’re going with a 4-3-3 with Berto-Mauri-Hakan in the middle. Castillejo and Suso on the wings with Higuain at striker.

Interesting midfield hopefully Hakan plays better in that role because hes lost on the wing

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I'm excited for this game, mostly because of injuries/suspensions. Not an easy game and certainly not with the expected line-ups. That said, this game will show if we have what it takes to bounce back after poor form in the San Siro with half a team.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Thats a fucked up midfield

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Berto is out, it seems.

It's hard to fault Gattuso when he hardly has players left.

Maybe the human rights advocate Congo gets his will after all.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabbia or Monto

Or.....Abate as midfield dominator.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Calabria will play in the midfield instead of Bertolacci. [MilanNews]

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Calabria ahead of Montolivo :lol:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Du9IUI8X4AEfyX1.jpg:small

Look at that midfield. Mauri, Monto, primvavera mid. Only 3 midfield players able to play in the squad and those are them.... hahahaha

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
That is one tip-top midfield

Schedule