Brazilian Football Thread

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
A defensive midfielder that hadn't ever been a coach before, at that. If he plays Alves and Maicon at the same time I'll stop bitching, but not doing so is the biggest waste of talent.
If you were to pick another coach, considering the thought that the CBF only appoints Brazilians and that Scolari isn't available, who'd you pick? My pick would go on Ziko, I'm not much informed about Brazilian Coaches, but he seems to be an upgrade on Dunga considering his experience.

Nielsenb41

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Banks, Yashin, Manga, Preud'homme, Pfaff, Zenga, Sepp and Taffarel
Zico, definitely. King Arthur Coimbra. There wouldn't be a single player in the team not trying 200% extra hard. And he is a good coach (and an actual coach) to boost. His work at Japan, Fenerbahce and Uzbekistan has been great.

Milan14Legend

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta
Zico, definitely. King Arthur Coimbra. There wouldn't be a single player in the team not trying 200% extra hard. And he is a good coach (and an actual coach) to boost. His work at Japan, Fenerbahce and Uzbekistan has been great.

Are you Brazilian?

Milan14Legend

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta
Personally I'd keep Dunga. I hate Brazil and therefore the most harm that could be done to them is having Dunga on the bench. :D

Nielsenb41

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah, I'm brazilian. Born and raised in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
A defensive midfielder that hadn't ever been a coach before, at that. If he plays Alves and Maicon at the same time I'll stop bitching, but not doing so is the biggest waste of talent.

If that works, it would give you the most phenomenal right flank in the world, but im not sure Daniel Alves playing up in midfield would work that well. He loves to make charging runs down the right flank, and as a midfielder his opportunities to do that would be limited - cue Roberto Carlos sucking as a midfielder at Inter. Okay okay that was inter, and with more practice it may have worked, but his best position by far was at left back, running up the length of the pitch.

Alves, who i (surprised myself with this as well) think is more talented than Carlos, might be able to adapt his game to make it work. Its definitely worth a shot i think, but not a forgone conclusion of success like is being presented.

Also, where are you from? You know a LOT about brazilian players, and while there are loads of idiots in china and thailand that read a book and claim to know about them, your knowledge seems pretty genuine.
And ur fav players list and signature seems to suggest you are from Brazil itself?

Edit: oops...just saw that you already answered the question :D

Last edited:

Nielsenb41

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If that works, it would give you the most phenomenal right flank in the world, but im not sure Daniel Alves playing up in midfield would work that well. He loves to make charging runs down the right flank, and as a midfielder his opportunities to do that would be limited - cue Roberto Carlos sucking as a midfielder at Inter. Okay okay that was inter, and with more practice it may have worked, but his best position by far was at left back, running up the length of the pitch.

Alves, who i (surprised myself with this as well) think is more talented than Carlos, might be able to adapt his game to make it work. Its definitely worth a shot i think, but not a forgone conclusion of success like is being presented.
I'm usually against turning brazilian attacking fullbacks into wingers, as some managers in Europe try to do without much success. Attacking as a fullback is a bit easier than as a winger, because as a fullback you can thrive on the space created by the midfielders and forwards. It does require the most positional sense out of all other positions though, as a fullback needs to explore all of the pitch's lenght without compromising the team's formation, and it is impossible to occupy two places at the same time.

Alves, however, is the most unorthodox attacking fullback we've ever had. Maicon, Cafu, Roberto Carlos etc... are pretty linear in their play, but Alves is basically a playmaker from the right back spot. He doesn't thrive on running up and down the pitch as the Pendolino and the Colossus, he thrives on occupying a portion of the field and making things happen from there, getting opposing wingers on their back heel and thus making his offensive propensity his biggest defensive weapon. He is pretty decent defensively too, good tackler and gets stuck in, but as he spends a lot of time up front many regard him as a defensive liability, which is bollocks. For such an unorthodox style, changes are needed in the teams he plays for. It was the case in Sevilla with Poulsen and it is the case now with Barcelona, but what is important is that the overall effect of his play can only be considered as a big, big plus. Changing a team's structure shouldn't be such difficult business when we're talking about such a special player.

These qualities are what I think could make our right flank a big success with Alves playing as a right midfielder/winger. We've tried it once, in the Copa America final against Argentina (3x0), and it was immense, but Dunga never had the guts to try it again.

Cheers then you GK freak!
I used to be a GK myself. :D

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Brazil Preview Part 3: The Forwards.
January 25th, 2009 | By: Julian | 14 Comments »

I’ve said before that Brazil’s midfield is worse on paper than their defense. (”Worse” might be the wrong word to use here. It’s more like “Less solid” or “Not as good”). That being said, it’s really their front line that we have to worry about. Kaka, Maicon, Cesar… all very solid, very good players. Possibly even world class. But their front line could run an aging Azzurri defense ragged. The best strategy for Lippi here would be to call up younger, pacier guys to keep Brazil in check- Chiellini is a must- and on the counter we could face big problems. The Netherlands showed us that, but luckily we’ve come a long way since then.

Call ups for their last game:
9 FW Adriano
11 FW Robinho
21 FW Alexandre Pato

I was shocked to see that they only called up 3 real strikers. Then again, when guys like Kaka are in the midfield, maybe you don’t need as many forwards.

Possible other call ups:

Julio Baptista, Jo
610x.jpg

The funny thing is, out of all 5 of these guys, the one I fear could do the most damage to the Azzurri is the youngest. :proud:Pato has proven to be exceptional at Milan. He has a decent scoring rate- 9 goals in 20 games this season- but it’s really his pace that’s really setting the league alight. He’s outrun defenders like Mexes and scored against teams like Roma, so it’s not like all of his goals are against relegation fodder. He also scored on his Brazilian debut, which means he’s not a choker on the national team (CoughGilaCough). I expect him to play, and I’d expect Lippi to instruct Chiellini to mark him very closely. I’m not sure which other defenders will get called upby Lippi, but I’m pretty sure that he can run guys like Zambro, and even Canna, ragged. The worst part? He’s only 19 and he’s sure to get better. Luckily, he still tends to make mistakes and poor decisions at times, but that’s mostly because he’s young. That can only help us.

As for the rest of them, they’re all relatively famous footballers. Adriano has people divided, and many want him to leave Inter, but he can still score (as he proved today) with got good pace and ball control. Baptista is a good scorer, though with a poor first touch. He’s incredibly physical and Brazil could use him as a battering ram of sorts against our backline. The fact that he wasn’t called up last game should tell us what Dunga thinks of him, though.

And then there’s Robinho. The mercenary rebel who left Champions League football at Real Madrid for the much more exciting relegation/mid tableness of Man City. He’s scored quite a few goals this year though; the move hasn’t seemed to affect his game. But then again, he’s also arguably being overshadowed by Stephan Ireland over in the Premiere League, too. He’s undoubtedly a gifted footballer- around this time last year, some were calling him the best in the world- and he will be one to watch out for.

Now, I don’t mean to sound like our defense sucks. It doesn’t. It’s not at the level it once was, but it’s not like France’s defense. The biggest problem is age vs pace. A lot of Brazils’ guys are fast, and our backline is in a state of transition. Some of them should be ok- Canna might have the experience to make up for what he lacks in pace- but others might not be. Ideally, we should control the midfield and prevent them from gaining possession at all, but that’s unrealistic. I expect DDR and GC to have huge roles in this game, ensuring that Brazil doesn’t get too close to Buffon’s net.
gigi.jpg

But just in case they do…thank God he’s back.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Dunga played the D. Alves and Maicon combo once and it was immense; it even resulted in a 3-0 victory for Brazil against a pretty good opponent in Argentina. Why not use him as a RM again and call up Rafinha another pretty good Rb as a cover. I really don't understand Dunga.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Or try Alves on the left :D

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Apparently, after one non-slept semi-drunk dude posted something to Estonian footy forum media got rollin and suprisingly came a press conference of a friendly match. On Sunday. And now it has been said that the game is one of the events of our Football Association centenary celebrations. Some sources claim the deal is for all stars to be present. So thanks man :)

Oh ... it was supposed to be a secret LOL.

Last edited:

project1967

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Apparently, after one non-slept semi-drunk dude posted something to Estonian footy forum media got rollin and suprisingly came a press conference of a friendly match. On Sunday. And now it has been said that the game is one of the events of our Football Association centenary celebrations. Some sources claim the deal is for all stars to be present. So thanks man :)

Congrats to the Estonian Football Association.
Gotta be the best guest they could pull out of their hat to celebrate the 100th birthday.
How big is the stadium in Tallin ?

Anyway, stunning news, isn't it ?
still laughing at your previous posts, specially the pic. :D

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Gotta be the best guest they could pull out of their hat to celebrate the 100th birthday.

There's more to come :D But I really need to hit the pub first ;) I'll tell you when I'm back.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Correct me if I'm wrong... But I think Raspy is excited.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players

LOL. I don't even know the exact number how big the stadium is supposed to be because the project hasn't been perfect. I think it should be 8000 with a possibility to turn to 10k. At the conference the president asked maybe local authorities can fund the stadium so it would have 4000 more seats. I kind of have a speculation he held this unknown to oil some cabinets and get the funds. Now that everybody has heard confirmation of Brazil getting he has less chance of getting this. Difficult times you know. (I feel bad a little. I can see this is really the case)

There's also speculation to hold the game in a temporary stadium that is really a song festival place that has held crowds around 100k(the stadium speculation says 60K). The installing is speculated to cost as much as adding 4k seats to our national stadium. But both actions would degree the ticket-cost which is said to be around 125€ and that is way too much for average Estonian.

Oh and in the press conference it was said that 2-3 more footballing countries will pay a visit. I didn't quite understand if it was quoted or speculated but Argentina was mentioned. The obvious candidate would be France since Platini payd us a visit and we were one of those who helped him to the throne.
LOL

Don't blame me, it was announced officially by the CBF (Brazilian Federation)

Are you a Brazilian? How did you come across this piece of news?

Correct me if I'm wrong... But I think Raspy is excited.
Yup. But I'm excited that I was the one who leaked it here and that our FA can add something to the win section.

Not 'yeah Brazil', 'Wuuhooo I'm going to see Kaka, Pato etc'. In fact I'm kind of disgusted of people like this and though if the scudetto comes I would like to tribute my heroes it 's just a BIG no-no to do something like that in a national team match. I'll probably try to be as abusive as I can with Merda players :D

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Last edited:

project1967

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Are you a Brazilian? How did you come across this piece of news.

I am not. wanted to say it before you asked cuz confusion was understandable.
Just interested in brazilian soccer, checked the news, and that is all.

As for the stadium, lets hope all goes smoothly and above all, security for spectators is guaranteed.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
just saw highlights of u20 south american championships.... walter is doing really well

how good is this kid, really? Saw barca was onto him... typically the have a good eye

edit: He looked fairly big/physical, but when i wikipedia'd him it said he was only 178cm

he looked like a #9....
first 2 goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2035848/
and first goal here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2059922/

neilsen or anyone else brazilian. know more about him??

Best way to describe him IMO is he is a right footed version of Adriano. He done very well in the U-20's but he has not scored much for internacional.

Nielsenb41

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players