Manuel Locatelli Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Everything indicates he's weak defensively, like Cristante, Poli, etc.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
i dont think anyone is asking for a donnarumma out of him. Against juve our midfield lacked any creativity outside balo and its been hyped that locatelli is quite creative. Monty was not able to create anything for our offense so the change should have been made. Would have been good for Locatelli, the fans watching, and if he played well; Milan. Since his sub was waived off, all of that was lost.

Right, people were saying the same thing for Gabriel or Cristante when they were in the team.

For all the hyping that Locatelli gets, he's not likely to be much better than Cristante or Merkel or Verdi, add to this the fact that he probably is not very familiar with the schemes considering when he joined our team (end of January).

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Don't know if this has already been posted.

From #Goal.com, 6th april 2016

2228252_heroa.jpg

The Gunners have been monitoring the 18-year-old closely but face a tough task in prying him away from San Siro as the jewel of the youth system nears his professional debut

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has already christened him 'The new Pirlo', while coach Sinisa Mihajlovic is preaching caution and care in anticipation of the opening of a box that seems to contain something truly magical, and Arsenal are already looking to sign him.

At Milan, everyone is in total agreement: the next Gianluigi Donnarumma will be Manuel Locatelli, a cornerstone of Cristian Brocchi's Primavera side but a member of the first-team squad on a permanent basis since the January transfer window closed.

HIS STORY

The 18-year-old from Galbiate (in the province of Lecco) has followed a straight path to the top thus far. Already the talk of Pescate at just nine years of age, Locatelli was first picked up by Paolo Rota, who took him to Atalanta. In 2009, Milan prised Locatelli away from the Bergamo-based club thanks to the work of their head of scouting Mauro Bianchessi.

It was a dream come true for Locatelli, who has always been a Rossoneri supporter. He progressed through the youth team ranks and started the current campaign as vice-captain of the youth team. Since February, though, he has been a member of Mihajlovic's squad, having already previously trained with the first team under past managers Massimiliano Allegri and Filippo Inzaghi, who included him among the substitutes for Milan's trip to Fiorentina in March 2015.

Locatelli’s senior debut is now just around the corner, although Mihajlovic is intent on handling this precious jewel with great care. "Locatelli is a good player but he's arrived from the Primavera and is not yet quite ready for the pace and intensity of the first team," the Serb stated after adding the youngster to his panel.

"However, with intelligence and training, he can make it. From here, we'll see how he goes."

In the meantime, 'il Loca' is spending training sessions studying Italy and Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo at first-hand and preparing himself for July's European Under-19 Championship in Germany, where he is expected to be one of the stars of the show.

SCOUTING REPORT

Over the years, Locatelli's role has changed from an attacking midfielder to a masterful playmaker stationed in front of the defence - his best role given his technical and athletic characteristics, although he is also equally adept at playing as an orthodox central midfielder.

Physically slight yet mentally tough, Locatelli is well versed at mixing up his game with long and short passes depending on how the game is developing. He has great vision and reads the play well, making him a real leader from a technical point of view and a reference point for his team-mates.

In Mihajlovic’s opinion, "he must improve his vertical play" as well as his aerial prowess given his stature. However, his value to Milan is beyond dispute.

"He's a player of great quality. He has been with us since he was 11 and he will be captain of Milan inside three years," Bianchessi predicted in a recent interview with Corriere della Sera.

FACTS & FIGURES

He has racked up 14 appearances for the Under 19s this term, scoring twice, against Cesena and Como, with the goal against the latter coming from the penalty spot.

Although yet to make his professional debut, he has been on the bench for a total of 10 games - including Milan's last five outings. That eagerly-awaited first-team bow is edging ever closer.

THE FUTURE

Until now, there has not been any doubt that Locatelli's future is dyed in red and black. Last year, he signed his first professional contract with Milan (alongside Donnarumma), binding himself to the Diavolo until June 30, 2018.

That deal, though, is likely to be improved and extended in the coming months, given several clubs are already casting admiring glances in Locatelli's direction, chief among them Arsenal, who Goal revealed have already sent their chief scout, Neil Banfield, to Italy to observe Milan's new prodigy at close quarters.

Locatelli would be an investment in the future from the Gunners' perspective, not a player likely to go straight into the first team, but at Milan the plan is to carefully nurture the player in the coming months so as to give him the best possible chance to follow in the footsteps of Donnarumma on the path to quickly becoming a staple of the first team.

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Maybe we will see more of him. As of now, I don't think its a good idea to have a high expectation of him

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
hope he perma benches monto after waiving off his sub.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Berlusconi and whoever at Milan that rate Manuel really highly do so because of the reports they received from his coach - Brocchi.

Christian trained him for the last two years I believe, and Locatelli is rated as the best youth product in the academy and has been used quite a lot for the youth teams. If there's one person in the world that knows how Locatelli plays and how he performs it's Brocchi. We also know Mihajlovic is not afraid to throw youngsters at the deep end.

If neither Brocchi nor Sinisa have fielded him yet but instead are selecting Berto, Monto, Poli ahead of him, maybe it underlines the fact that Locatelli is just not ready yet - which is completely fine. We don't need to rush him because we've heard of way too many cases of youth talents crumbling under pressure.

It would definitely be nice to see him, but I hope it doesn't come at a cost that could ruin his confidence for the long term. Look at how bad Bertolacci's (whos 6 years older than Locatelli) consistently playing yet we know he's capable of better - his confidence has been shattered. He's going to ground at any 50/50 and dives quite a lot, complains to the referee every time he loses the ball. Losing confidence, depending on the player, can completely impact a players future.

Let's be patient with this one and let him grow at his own pace.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
Can't be lousier than Poli tbh. If Poli is given a chance to sub, so should Locatelli. Better giving a youngster with many years ahead of him a chance, than Poli who after so many years, still suck.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
It would definitely be nice to see him, but I hope it doesn't come at a cost that could ruin his confidence for the long term. Look at how bad Bertolacci's (whos 6 years older than Locatelli) consistently playing yet we know he's capable of better - his confidence has been shattered. He's going to ground at any 50/50 and dives quite a lot, complains to the referee every time he loses the ball. Losing confidence, depending on the player, can completely impact a players future.

Let's be patient with this one and let him grow at his own pace.

:monto:

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
In most leagues in europe young players getting into first squad when they have 17-18y. Its one of biggest itally tragedy that they prefer keep matri, pazzini and plenty of average players who wont be better (club results aspect), who wont be sold in future for real money (financial aspect) and yet they taking spot over someone young.
If player at 18 cant show better playing (good moments not regular) style than poli or berto then im scary that there wont be hope for him in future tbh.
Poli can run 25 min in first half and 15 min in 2nd, he is way too defensive player to partner monto (same like dj was), his product in attacking half is close to zero. Berto should be most offensive one from all 3 midfielders but still as midfielder he has lot of defensive work. But if you look how easy he is losing the ball, how often instead of fighting for ball back after lost physical fight he just stop, waving with hands to ref and demanding his reaction (weAreACMilan?!) and add to this his product in attacking 1/3 where he doesnt help much then its the biggest disappointment in current squad. So let be honest ... what coach risk with replacing berto or poli? If youngster will suck more then this 2 then he shouldnt be in first squad because whats the point ... rather play mauri

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Well, people also said Ely can't be lousier than Zapata and we should play him... :monto:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yup I already wrote in the Match thread of Carpi that the argument "He can't be worse than XY" has been used a lot of times and... well... it turned out that this players can be worse than XY.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
Ely didnt have any serieA experience so using him as starter on most important position with objective like top3 was suicide what was obvious for everyone even when he had some good games in preseason. But again we had alex who looked bad, zapata who isnt reliable, alessioR and unwanted by coach mexes because someone let paletta go just like that.

I always prefer to watch youngster over players not able to bring anything, i preferred to watch average cristante over essien and would rather watch locatelli over poli, berto. And if he cant bring anything more than poli or berto then i wouldnt like to have him in first squad because it is pointless.

At least you guys are clear- berto/poli over youngsters, but its not like donnarumma had any experience or didnt make mistakes when get chance. Ofc not every youngster will turn into good player.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Ely didnt have any serieA experience so using him as starter on most important position with objective like top3 was suicide what was obvious for everyone even when he had some good games in preseason. But again we had alex who looked bad, zapata who isnt reliable, alessioR and unwanted by coach mexes because someone let paletta go just like that.

I always prefer to watch youngster over players not able to bring anything, i preferred to watch average cristante over essien and would rather watch locatelli over poli, berto. And if he cant bring anything more than poli or berto then i wouldnt like to have him in first squad because it is pointless.

At least you guys are clear- berto/poli over youngsters, but its not like donnarumma had any experience or didnt make mistakes when get chance. Ofc not every youngster will turn into good player.

Where did I say that? I am against this type of argument, not against using youngsters. If Miha, who brought up Donnaruma, Romagnoli, Calabria and used Niang a lot, didn't use Locatelli, then there must be a sound reason for that.

Don't forget that, if you bring a youngster too early to the big boy's game, you may traumatize him and cripple him psychologically. They must be brought in the circumstances that will enhance their self-confidence and when they are ready for it.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
Where did I say that? I am against this type of argument, not against using youngsters. If Miha, who brought up Donnaruma, Romagnoli, Calabria and used Niang a lot, didn't use Locatelli, then there must be a sound reason for that.

Don't forget that, if you bring a youngster too early to the big boy's game, you may traumatize him and cripple him psychologically. They must be brought in the circumstances that will enhance their self-confidence and when they are ready for it.

They wont have good circumstances in this milan except some coppa games against ~serieC where we already test our potential starters :D like balo, prince etc and still our game looks crap. Italy need start to use young players like rest of the football world (not 23y prospects) over grandpas like essiens, kloses because they wont take teams into better place.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score

They wont have good circumstances in this milan except some coppa games against ~serieC where we already test our potential starters :D like balo, prince etc and still our game looks crap. Italy need start to use young players like rest of the football world (not 23y prospects) over grandpas like essiens, kloses because they wont take teams into better place.

I think both of you are right. Italy is a special case when it comes to start young players from own youth. I don't watch every league in europe regularly, but as I'm living in Switzerland and Bundesfodder is broadcasted almost every weekend in pay-tv, I get to see a lot of those games.

Obviously they have a total different attitude and much less fear to start young prospects. But that's also because if a young player does not play a good game, he doesn't get immediately torchered by medias, fans and journalists. En contraire - they always get a lot of credit and a "free-pass" to do errors without being particularly blamed in public, experts tend to say stuff like "well, he's young and has a lot to learn, he's allowed to fuck up an entire game for his team at this age. Those are the games you learn the most from. If you bench him right now, he's traumatized and you can't play him never again".

In Italy it's totally different. Ely had some good games in pre-season, fucked up two games and got eaten alive by medias and fans. He's done. Don't think he will ever play a Milan game again. Romagnoli - when he does good he's praised, but when he has one meh-game, medias already start to write in a remarkable more negative way than a german newspaper would. Italy has a very different mentality when it comes to young players. Italy tends to hype every young player like a super-star and to burn him as soon as he has a run of 2-3 bad games.

That's why the coaches, who really want their pupills to succeed and not to fail, are very cautious when to start a youngster. They wait for the almost perfect moment so that the risk to burn the player is very low. But at times, like now at Milan, you can wait forever for such a perfect moment: the team is struggling, lots of coach-changes, hyper-crytical medias towards youngsters, B&G... and obviously, that's not only a Milan problem, it's an overall problem of the Italian mentality to rate players and to make only a slight difference when rating a young, unexperienced prospect or a more experienced and league-proven player.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
I would say italian league is specific and (1)allow to play old players (older than 34) and also (2)prefer to use experienced players over unexperienced.

1. Many games in serieA are just slow (with exceptions ofc), completely different than in epl or bundes, and players are not physically strong. Also when im watching serieA players then often i feel like they faking injury because they want not only save 30s but also because they are exhausted. That allow older players to come to italy and still be effective. If you will look on lazio politic where they have klose and still keep matri then its embarrassing, this players can bring some goals/points but wont be better and wont make big difference in games. So instead of players without value and will to hard work to achieve more than they already did lazio could try to find some players (lets say from ajax el ghazi or milik) that will work for self and club because it is their future. And im sure they will score 12-16 goals per season with quality of lazio team behind and if they wont turn into somebody great - what will be financial and maybe sport success for the club - they can be sold after 3-4 season for good money.

2. Other problem is the way as many of italian teams play what is also related with above - teams when facing bigger club just parking the bus in front of box (what slow the game). And in that situation experienced players have advantage over youngster because playing in crowd is much harder than running and dribbling (epl, bundes). Good example is saponara - in milan he didnt get much support because it was bad team but also he was facing plenty of defending players in front of him. Now he is playing for empoli and he has much more space and he is getting some results.
Also teams focusing on defending more than attacking and defending required hard working and understanding organization of team where in attack is more often related with being unpredictable and having some luck.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I would say italian league is specific and (1)allow to play old players (older than 34) and also (2)prefer to use experienced players over unexperienced.

1. Many games in serieA are just slow (with exceptions ofc), completely different than in epl or bundes, and players are not physically strong. Also when im watching serieA players then often i feel like they faking injury because they want not only save 30s but also because they are exhausted. That allow older players to come to italy and still be effective. If you will look on lazio politic where they have klose and still keep matri then its embarrassing, this players can bring some goals/points but wont be better and wont make big difference in games. So instead of players without value and will to hard work to achieve more than they already did lazio could try to find some players (lets say from ajax el ghazi or milik) that will work for self and club because it is their future. And im sure they will score 12-16 goals per season with quality of lazio team behind and if they wont turn into somebody great - what will be financial and maybe sport success for the club - they can be sold after 3-4 season for good money.

2. Other problem is the way as many of italian teams play what is also related with above - teams when facing bigger club just parking the bus in front of box (what slow the game). And in that situation experienced players have advantage over youngster because playing in crowd is much harder than running and dribbling (epl, bundes). Good example is saponara - in milan he didnt get much support because it was bad team but also he was facing plenty of defending players in front of him. Now he is playing for empoli and he has much more space and he is getting some results.
Also teams focusing on defending more than attacking and defending required hard working and understanding organization of team where in attack is more often related with being unpredictable and having some luck.

Very true. However I liked that Serie A was and is still one of the most difficult leagues tactical-wise. But the way how young prospects are first hyped and then demolished at the very first false step is worrying.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Now you see why he hasn't been played this season? :)

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
He's huge.

Wouldn't mind him starting in CM with Mauri and Kucka next match, tbh.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He's huge.

I still think it's too early to think about starting him, maybe some cameos every game for rest of the season.

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
He's huge.

It wont be a big risk considering what a shit player Berto is and with Monto going on a low.
But if we wanna act careful then at least one of them to join Monto & Kucka.
Starters or subs , its a crime not to give Mauri and Loca playing time.

dvl19i

SinceBirth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ZLATAN

The kid uses his brain, he tried to make some forward touches/runs everytime he could..

If he didn't get his full chance against Carpi, I don't know if he would in future..

voom

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think Locatelli will be great midfielder.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
good debut, need to see more from him

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Guys, we're talking about 5 minutes ;)

He did nothing wrong and had the right attitude. He confirmed what Sinisa said about him (plays smart and simple, can become great), but if you take the right 5 minutes of one game even Berto or Poli look like Zidanes.

However the first step is done. He definitely deserves more playingtime than only 5 minutes and I'm sure he will get this playing time.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
decent debut

:fp:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players