Sandro Tonali Thread

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
10m loan fee.
An additional 15m-25m if he's purchased.
2m net salary(more than Bennacer's, almost the same as Kessie's).

That's a large investment.

The club picked him instead of Bakayoko, or a DM who's proven in a double pivot system.

They picked an expensive youngster as backup to the young starters.

They picked a player who looks incompatible with Bennacer as a midfield duo.

Tonali might be and hopefully is a good investment in the long run, but I think it's safe to say he isn't the midfield addition we needed this season.

It is just too early to say that he looks incompatible with Bennacer.

Expensive young players as backup young starters is not false I think. The problem is now that he has not show the form Milan expect from him.

Having 3 quality young midfielder does not break any standard of football, it would be great for the club.

milanista_

Milan Icon
Reaction score
He needs to be faster with the ball and act quicker in his head, get a stronger body to be able to protect the ball better, improve his passing game, improve his position on the field. He is so slow and need to learn how to position himself better on the field. He is so far away from being a reliable player at the moment.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
The likes of Kessie and Hakan were mainly shit or average in their first couple of years with us. Now they are two of our most important players.

I wouldn't toss him aside after 2 or 3 starts.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
My issue with him for now is that he's too careless on the ball. Also annoying to see his lack of tenacity in the defensive phase. There's a lot that needs to be worked on.

It's a bit premature to write him off after 5-6 games. Both Bakayoko and Bennacer also had a slow start, before they adopted to the system and formed excellent partnerships with Kessie. By time and with more minutes he accumulates, I think we'll see a pretty good midfielder in Tonali.

If his proposed move to Inter went through and he played like this under Conte, he'd throw him under the bus at first opportunity. Fortunately, he has padre Pioli to sort him out and fix his lethargic shortcomings.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It is just too early to say that he looks incompatible with Bennacer.

No, it would be too early to say he is incompatible with Bennacer as a midfield duo, but not too early to say what it looks like since it goes without saying that it's a conjecture.

Having 3 quality young midfielder does not break any standard of football, it would be great for the club.

There are certainly advantages to having young backups.
It would be great to already have a replacement lined up in case a release clause is activated or someone refuses to renew on reasonable terms.

However if the young backup is not ready, then he's not backup material.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
10m loan fee.
An additional 15m-25m if he's purchased.
2m net salary(more than Bennacer's, almost the same as Kessie's).

That's a large investment.

The club picked him instead of Bakayoko, or a DM who's proven in a double pivot system.

They picked an expensive youngster as backup to the young starters.

They picked a player who looks incompatible with Bennacer as a midfield duo.

Tonali might be and hopefully is a good investment in the long run, but I think it's safe to say he isn't the midfield addition we needed this season.

Bakayoko-Anguissa as DM, Roca-Koopmeiners for regista, they costed less than him and could have given something better.

I knew Tonali was only a prospect.

Last edited:

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
His passing is fast, if he becomes more precise (this is a problem for now) he’ll become a fine regista.

C61-C0292-60-A6-4846-BF4-E-C86-A22-ACA5-F7.jpg

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Isn’t he supposed to be a good free-kick taker ?

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Zlatan should give the youngsters a chance first.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
My question isnt criticism. Just wondering why we are not seeing him take any free-kicks ( if there is another reason than the presence of Hakan and Ibra )

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
My question isnt criticism. Just wondering why we are not seeing him take any free-kicks ( if there is another reason than the presence of Hakan and Ibra )
Yep its slightly annoying that Ibra wants to take the FKs. He even wants to take them when Hakan is on the pitch.

I am ok with him taking PKs even though I think Kessie is clearly our best PK taker but he should leave the FKs to Hakan and Tonali.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Yep its slightly annoying that Ibra wants to take the FKs. He even wants to take them when Hakan is on the pitch.

I am ok with him taking PKs even though I think Kessie is clearly our best PK taker but he should leave the FKs to Hakan and Tonali.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yeah, Ibra is great but he has to accept that he's 39 and some aspects of his game have declined. Shot power and accuracy are not what they used to be...

SuperP

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He can't play with Kessie, he did decent with Bennacer.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Too green to help us right now, renato sanches ate him alive

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present
Levels, Tonali needs to find his. Has to learn how to play quicker, especially against non Italian teams. I guess the transition from playing in a 3 to a 2 is taking him some time to get use to also. The good thing is, he's still only 20.5

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Too green to help us right now, renato sanches ate him alive

To be fair the guy dominated Kessie too who has been in fantastic form.

I liked Tonali's set pieces. Pity one of our players couldn't get a significant head on any of them.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Levels, Tonali needs to find his. Has to learn how to play quicker, especially against non Italian teams. I guess the transition from playing in a 3 to a 2 is taking him some time to get use to also. The good thing is, he's still only 20.5

His passing is not the issue. At least not against Lille. It was actually one of his better performances in that aspect. It wasn't the usual overambitious, difficult passes that are intercepted half the time.

The main problem is that he's too easy to get past. He falls for simple tricks, players run around him on the ground and beat him with ease in the air.

We can't afford to field him against decent teams. The midfielders need to be extra-ordinary ball winners to sustain this ultra-attacking system. He's far from it at the moment.

Sigh.........

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Bennacer would have been the one facing and neutralizing renato sanchez
Tonallis best match was with bennacer.
Kessies best matches are with bennacer.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Bennacer would have been the one facing and neutralizing renato sanchez
Tonallis best match was with bennacer.
Kessies best matches are with bennacer.

We need as many great ball winners as possible to minimize the risks of this risky approach.

Can't afford to have someone like Tonali as one of the pivots against strong European sides who know how to deal with 4-2-3-1 high press.

Youth

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I am convinced we would still win the game if we play Kessie+Tonali in the midfield. We just had our worst performance. Even with Krunic and Castillejo as wings as long as all players are fit (got enough rest), the chance is still there. Not to mention if we play our best players upfront.

Tonalli is not the weakest part in that game. Our play especially our attacking performance was the first to blame.

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
We need as many great ball winners as possible to minimize the risks of this risky approach.

Can't afford to have someone like Tonali as one of the pivots against strong European sides who know how to deal with 4-2-3-1 high press.

Exactly. Send 30 million + Tonali + Krunic to Lille and sign Renato Sanches and Boubakary Soumare. Instant upgrade!!!1

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
There is no art in you ppl... no style... only big brutes can play yr envisioned version of the game.

I'm a Romario person... and we're a Romario club!

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Send 30 million + Tonali + Krunic to Lille and sign Renato Sanches and Boubakary Soumare. Instant upgrade!!!1

Renato is not a great ball winner either.
His best quality is dribbling.

An unreliable version of Bennacer.

Whoever pays 50m+ for him is making a big mistake.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

We dont own tonali to send him anywhere, if you want him you have to pay another 25 m for that fraud.

Again this guy was the worst man of the match in italy against farmers and playing just 45, i dont get how can someone be that bad even though playing with a team winning 4 - 0 in a friendly.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
people need to remember the buy out is set at 15m and not 25m

we already paid 10m.

Schedule