Quarter final: Germany 1-1 Italy (6-5 after penalties) - 2 July 2016 21:00 CET

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
just like how you sounded like a broken record hating on the GOAT for 2 years.

Hopefully conte wins all the trophies with chelsea (minus CL if milan have a shot :o)

The "GOAT" lost to a "below average manager" according to you :proud:

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
obviously should have called up future ballon d'or winners like berardi and marco benassi, don't forget romangoli whos the future nesta.

or MLS phenemenon sebastian giovinco.

I'm going to give necro credit, he and I knew that conte's call ups were spot on for his tactics :thumbsup:

the rest of you should quit football and watch hockey instead, let the real football connoisseurs enjoy it. /MB
I agree that he chose his squad but I think Berrardi could have been useful specially for subs who can make an impact.
No big deals since Italy just couldnt replace central players like Verrati and March.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
obviously should have called up future ballon d'or winners like berardi and marco benassi, don't forget romangoli whos the future nesta.

or MLS phenemenon sebastian giovinco.

I'm going to give necro credit, he and I knew that conte's call ups were spot on for his tactics :thumbsup:

the rest of you should quit football and watch hockey instead, let the real football connoisseurs enjoy it. /MB

:lol::lol::lol:

I agree that he called players for his tactics but they are of not losing only if possible. Maybe he buys Giacherini, Zaza, Sturaro for Chelsea before stupid Galliani does. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yeah sure. El Shaarawy and Insigne would have blasted open the German defense.

Stop believing in false gods. Believe in Mattia de Sciglio.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Who else is he gonna call? Milan subs like poli as some wanted after Uruguay match in the world cup?

The moment u go beyond Italy's defense which is all juve + de sciglio u find work horses that galliani would give allegri wet dreams about. Italjuve is italjuve for hold reason.

No one is talking about bbc.
He chose sturaro instead of jorginho.
I can somewhat understand why he would start pelle, but why eder instead of insigne?
Where was bonaventura, you know those three had good seasons compared to contes preferred ones.

At the end of the day his odd player selections and subs failed him. and he is to blame.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
hopefully conte signs bonucci for his chelsea side

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
I am actually surprised how Pep didnt sign Bonucci so far in his career.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I can somewhat understand why he would start pelle, but why eder instead of insigne?
Where was bonaventura, you know those three had good seasons compared to contes preferred ones.

At the end of the day his odd player selections and subs failed him. and he is to blame.

"Failed him" . That's funny when Eder was the one that gave them the win against sweden. It's pretty obvious why he prefers those players to ones u mentioned.

He builds his team defense up. Defense is more about work and positioning than on the ball skills.
He sees clear trade-off between skill and work rate. And frankly, the skill level of the players u mentioned don't justify the loss in work rate that he gets from the players he did use. Just because a player can dribble doesn't mean he is good for the team.

NO one failed and he didn't make any wrong team selection choice. Guaranteed u chumps would have put SeS , bona and insigne ahead of giaccherini. Yet none of them fit into this team like he does.... like they all do.

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Funny thing is some of these people that are fapping over conte don't rate allegri. How.. :conf:

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud

No you don't get it

He did not need players that hold the ball on their feet
he chosed the players that suited the best to his game play

Funny thing is some of these people that are fapping over conte don't rate allegri. How.. :conf:

because there is a huge difference between them

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I do not rate them higher either but Allegri did better for Ladri to be exact and it seems it is going to continue with the pieces that fit their 3-5-2.

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Conte's selections really have no basis. If he values his defense so much, he wouldn't have started two wingbacks who are weakpoints defensively for their teams.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No you don't get it

He did not need players that hold the ball on their feet
he chosed the players that suited the best to his game play

because there is a huge difference between them

Everybody knows that Conte called the players that fit their system. But you never can count on the stupidity of a Boateng/Granqvist to give you a freebie on every game.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
If you are an azzurri fan that entered this tournament thinking that there is some magic formula for success other than what a conte has to offer - u are out of ur mind.

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Quarter final: Germany vs Italy - 2 July 2016 21:00 CET

"Failed him" . That's funny when Eder was the one that gave them the win against sweden. It's pretty obvious why he prefers those players to ones u mentioned.

He builds his team defense up. Defense is more about work and positioning than on the ball skills.
He sees clear trade-off between skill and work rate. And frankly, the skill level of the players u mentioned don't justify the loss in work rate that he gets from the players he did use. Just because a player can dribble doesn't mean he is good for the team.

NO one failed and he didn't make any wrong team selection choice. Guaranteed u chumps would have put SeS , bona and insigne ahead of giaccherini. Yet none of them fit into this team like he does.... like they all do.

He chose work-rate over skill but where did that get him.

I am not taking anything away from him and I was impressed by what he has done against spain and belgium, but he should have done better against the germans. Making his first sub in the 90th minute, and the last two in the last half of extra time. :fp: . He wanted penalty shootouts yes but at the end of the day he lost. Let us if he can win the chl with that mentality. Lol

And yes insigne is much better player than eder, and he would indeed have done better. But i guess he doesn't fit in to contes "run and defend" system.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
He chose work-rate over skill but where did that get him.

I am not taking anything away from him and I was impressed by what he has done against spain and belgium, but he should have done better against the germans. Making his first sub in the 90th minute, and the last two in the last half of extra time. :fp: . He wanted penalty shootouts yes but at the end of the day he lost. Let us if he can win the chl with that mentality. Lol

And yes insigne is much better player than eder, and he would indeed have done better. But i guess he doesn't fit in to contes "run and defend" system.

It got him to a quarter when he was expected to be rekt by Belgium .

There is no team in Italy , no permutation or combination to have put up a bigger fight against Germans than what he did apart from veratti and marchisio. The fact that he took Germany this far, all of whose players are far superior, experienced and come from much better teams means this is the absolute best Italy had on offer.

Insigne is an inconsistent little mental midget. He has failed for Italy. ALWAYS. Eder was much better choice. Insigne is also overrated as fook on this forum along with most Napoli players and Sarri. He isn't special and be didn't fit the pressing game. He should be glad he was taken.

Last edited:

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Quarter final: Germany vs Italy - 2 July 2016 21:00 CET

I do not rate them higher either but Allegri did better for Ladri to be exact and it seems it is going to continue with the pieces that fit their 3-5-2.

Yeah either you don't rate both or you do.
But shitting on allegri and at the same time praising conte doesn't make sense to me.
And i agree with you, allegri did better for juve, he took contes team to the next level. Both have some tactical flaws but in term of play style i like allegris much better than contes

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
Everybody knows that Conte called the players that fit their system. But you never can count on the stupidity of a Boateng/Granqvist to give you a freebie on every game.

Because that's what they did every game? Pointless nitpicking. Yes the system had his flaws but this was an epic Italia side, the games against Belgium and especially Spain are big accomplishments and I feel by eliminating Spain and not Germany we could have decided the outcome of the tournament or at least had an important role in it. Eder and Giaccherini did their role well.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
Proud of the team despite the loss. I just feel frustrated that we didn't have players - or even just a player - available who would have made a difference tonight - Verratti, Marchisio or even De Rossi. No shame in getting knocked out on penalties to a practically full strength Germany.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
insigne has to be the most overrated player in serie A.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Mertens is a better player than Insigne

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Poli, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Pippo, Buffon, Pirlo, D.Lopez, Verratti, Gattuso, De Rossi, Darmian.
Because that's what they did every game? Pointless nitpicking. Yes the system had his flaws but this was an epic Italia side, the games against Belgium and especially Spain are big accomplishments and I feel by eliminating Spain and not Germany we could have decided the outcome of the tournament or at least had an important role in it. Eder and Giaccherini did their role well.

Epic is definitely the word. I put down Giac going into this tournament and he comes out flying as if he was the player I remember liking a few years ago. Eder came out and played a crucial part. Despite his (relatively few) detractors, Pelle proved that he could play at the highest level.
There were obviously disappointments and players who shouldn't have been picked, namely Parolo who would have been better off warming the bench. However, for the most part, this side came out and made their mark despite being a mediocre side on paper. Just unfortunate it had to end this way.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Epic is definitely the word. I put down Giac going into this tournament and he comes out flying as if he was the player I remember liking a few years ago. Eder came out and played a crucial part. Despite his (relatively few) detractors, Pelle proved that he could play at the highest level.
There were obviously disappointments and players who shouldn't have been picked, namely Parolo who would have been better off warming the bench. However, for the most part, this side came out and made their mark despite being a mediocre side on paper. Just unfortunate it had to end this way.

Poli was the xfactor missing in mid field. :thumbsup:

FNF

'That' guy...
Reaction score
Fav. Players