Official Formula One thread

Rex

Reaction score
Well I have no idea how many of fellow here are the biggest fan of Formula One...but I still start the topic. Anyway the season 2004 is getting closer as teams has a lot work to do in managing cars performance to face tough season. Scuderia Ferrari has won the both trophies, driver and constructor's champion this year...duo Schumi and Rubinho will be as teammates again...JPM and Ralf as Williams' teammates...Kimi and David at McLaren..

One thing you should know, JPM will be at McLaren in 2005 season...

Here I put the new release 2004 Formula One Calendar..if you follow intensively of Formula 1's progress, you can see there are two new hosts will be participating in...Bahrain and Shanghai..... :)

Spa is back on calendar again.. :)

FIA release 2004 Formula One calendar

The FIA has released the dates and venues for the 2004 Formula One World Championship. Bahrain and China are added to the schedule as expected, with Belgium also making a welcome return to form a 18-race season.

The 2004 campaign will open as usual with the Australian and Malaysian rounds, before the inaugural Grand Prix of Bahrain on April 4. The Brazilian race moves to October 24 as the season finale.

Imola will host the first European round of the year, the San Marino Grand Prix on April 25, while the United States Grand Prix switches to a mid-summer slot on June 20, forming a north-American double-header with the Canadian race on June 13.

Spa will host the returning Belgian Grand Prix on August 29, ahead of the final European round at Monza. The season culminates with three fly-away races, the first of which will be the Grand Prix of China in Shanghai on September 26.

The full calendar is as follows:

March 7, Grand Prix of Australia (Melbourne)
March 21, Grand Prix of Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur)
April 4, Grand Prix of Bahrain (Bahrain)
April 25, Grand Prix of San Marino (Imola)
May 9, Grand Prix of Spain (Barcelona)
May 23, Grand Prix of Monaco (Monaco)
May 30, Grand Prix of Europe (Nurburgring)
June 13, Grand Prix of Canada (Montreal)
June 20, Grand Prix of USA (Indianapolis)
July 4 *, Grand Prix of France (Magny-Cours)
July 11, Grand Prix of Great Britain (Silverstone)
July 25, Grand Prix of Germany (Hockenheim)
August 15, Grand Prix of Hungary (Budapest)
August 29, Grand Prix of Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
September 12, Grand Prix of Italy (Monza)
September 26, Grand Prix of China (Shanghai)
October 10, Grand Prix of Japan (Suzuka)
October 24, Grand Prix of Brazil (Sao Paulo)

* Subject to the unanimous agreement of the teams and subject to the satisfactory conclusion of a contract with Formula One Management before December 31st, 2003.

(formula1.com)

zorro

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Raikkonen&Juan Pablo will kick some asses soon... Michael has 2 great oppenents and I believe that next season Kimmi will be champion. If McLaren proves to be reliable enough. FORZA McLAREN!!!

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
:star: SCHUMI :star:

There will be no measure to how fast or hard SCHUMI will bring it. :cool:

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
i still think schumi and ferrari will win again, although the williams and mclarens might have a shot, they caused some problems last season...
go ferrari!

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
Rex said:
October 24, Grand Prix of Brazil (Sao Paulo)

waaah... i have to wait till the end of the year for Interlagos.. :o

oh well, at least Formula One is a sport they actually show here in Australia in its entirity :rolleyes: :D

This year my hot tip is Raikkonen.. he's one Flyin' Fin ;)

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
Shumi for ever...
no matter if he can't yet speak italian... he's always the best!!!

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
Schumi and Ferrari are still way to strong...But I really hope that Juan Pablo will kick his ass harder then anyone has kicked it before! :D

Rex

Reaction score
One driver you should pay attention is Renault's Fernando Alonso. He is "New Schumi" IMO...with good development of their cars...Renault could be threatening top three' standing (Ferrari, Williams, McLaren) once again on track...;)

Ohhh..I forgot to mention how Toyota were improving this year....:)

It's interesting to see Brazilian GP will be final of the season..an anti-clokwise circuit plus unpredictable weather...where Japanese GP had been taking place at the end of season for years... :)

Rex

Reaction score
Bahrain circuit raising the standards

Bernie Ecclestone has heaped praise on the Bahrain International Circuit after paying his first visit to the new venue.

Ecclestone received a tour of the track and a detailed briefing on preparations for the inaugural Grand Prix of Bahrain as part of a three-day visit to the Kingdom.

"It's super, Bahrain International Circuit will be one of the best in the world," he said. "The standard is so high it's raised the bar so much. I'm very impressed and I'm very happy with it."

When asked what the Bahraini audience can expect of the new race, Ecclestone added: "It will be a great event. If I wasn't directly involved in Formula One myself I'd be buying a ticket before they sell out!"

The Kingdom of Bahrain has already played host to numerous personalities and officials from the world of Formula One racing, including Williams driver Ralf Schumacher, BAR team principal David Richards and driver Jenson Button, former driver Jean Alesi and Charlie Whiting, the FIA's safety delegate, race director and official starter.

Numerous logistics managers from Formula One teams including Ferrari have also visited to assist with their preparations for the flyaway race, which will form the third round of the 2004 season.

(formula1.com)

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
canada lost their only F1 driver after villeneuve was released from BAR...AND MONTREAL alomost lost the grand prix due to cigarette logos on cras.... but its back in montreal now and villeneuve is thinking about joining NASCAR :cry: :cry: :head:

Yan Dao

La Bandiera
Reaction score
I lost interest in F1 a few years back when it became a one-man show, but this year has been great, and I was happy that finally there are two or three drivers who can kick Shumi's arse. I'd be even happier if someone else wins F1 next year - Kimi, Montoya, Alonso - just not Schumi :o

Rex

Reaction score
Bojangles said:
canada lost their only F1 driver after villeneuve was released from BAR...AND MONTREAL alomost lost the grand prix due to cigarette logos on cras.... but its back in montreal now and villeneuve is thinking about joining NASCAR :cry: :cry: :head:

Villeneuve is actually a good driver from what I've seen since he won 1997 champion's title when driving Williams-Renault. This season wasn't the best for him..The problem is when he was on fire..B.A.R were screwed up. When B.A.R and Honda gets in depth development...he's far away of *attention*....

The situation and its condition never made both of them (Villeneuve and his team) united...

To say goodbye to B.A.R is the best solution. For his good, why he doesn't take a rest for 2004 season while yes...as you said Bojangles....thinking about joining NASCAR, Indy500...or etc and in 2005 he could come back again to Formula 1..well Williams had been confirmly JPM will be at McLaren...any chance to come back to Williams??Time will tell...

What happen to Villenueve reminds me to Alain Prost in 1992. He couldn't get competitive seat in the final of the season and not performed in his final race of 1991..he took a rest and came back with fresh approach by grabbing the driver's title with Williams-Renault in 1993.

He could imitate what Prost did at that time.

Rex

Reaction score
Yan Dao said:
I lost interest in F1 a few years back when it became a one-man show, but this year has been great, and I was happy that finally there are two or three drivers who can kick Shumi's arse. I'd be even happier if someone else wins F1 next year - Kimi, Montoya, Alonso - just not Schumi :o

Schumi did it this year with tough challenge. But it's appropiate enough to describe how strong he is even he's not much dominant as he did last year. His mom passed away.. but it's not the end of the world for him..a victory comes back on side when emotional winning in San Marino GP as turning point for The Pranching Horse and obviously for himself.

zorro

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Rex said:
Yan Dao said:

Schumi did it this year with tough challenge. But it's appropiate enough to describe how strong he is even he's not much dominant as he did last year. His mom passed away.. but it's not the end of the world for him..a victory comes back on side when emotional winning in San Marino GP as turning point for The Pranching Horse and obviously for himself.

His mother died... That is true. But how did he dominate: do you remember his win 2 years ago in Spielberg?! Boy, did Schumi dominate. How many times his car had a malfunction in last 2 seasons?! How many?! That guy drives the best car in F1 and has the best team in F1, but I still believe that he isn't the legend everyone claim. Ayrton was a God 4 him. Look at Mika Salo - guy was no one until Michael broke his leg. And after just 2 races 4 italians he finished 2nd giving 1st position to Eddie Irvine. That is how Schumi's car is strong... Schumi's car - not Schumi!!! FORZA KIMI, FORZA JUAN PABLO!!!!!!

Rex

Reaction score
I'm talking this season. Even F2003-GA weren't much dominate as F2002 record...Schumi personally has a still mind to win...a big big motivation in his inside..a true pro...a champ mentality..

Even you got the best car on track...you can't still *win* the season if you have no of what I said above... ;)

His record of 6th world champion in history says it all.... :)

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Schumania Schumania, he cant speak italian and how he talks in german is funny too, his voices and gestics, typical Schumi, he always said that its not his success alone its the team, the car...etc. hes so damn right, a great person, and living legend since his 5th and even 6th title,
Ferrari last year maybe had the best car, but McLaren, Williams and Renault were still able to win some races, Formula one is a great sport,
and Montoya in McLaren who can or will stop him in 2005???
the other teams have closed the gap between Ferrari and the rest, even Edu Alonso (SPA) has won a race, also Giancarlo Fisichella almost had a GP-win in his pocket, this season 2004 will be an exciting season,
my favourite for 2004: -----> Michael Schumacher

Rex

Reaction score
This season will be long-term battle once again between Bridgestone and Michelin..... ;)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
MookyRookie said:
Schumania Schumania, he cant speak italian and how he talks in german is funny too, his voices and gestics ....

:conf: What's funny about his German ? He's one of the more articulate sports professionals...

I'm waiting for the big bang, it's such an overblown useless competition + such a waste of money - with the money spent on research + engine construction alone you can feed all starving kids on this planet for years ! Sounds like I'm not a fan, eh ? ;) :D True. :tongue:

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
WHats funny bout him is i saw in a TV show, Wigald Boning and his friend, thats a comedy show and they are playing sketch like an interview with Schumania, the comedian act like Schumacher that made me laugh a lot, but i agree that hes one of the more articulate sports professionals of course and a living legend like u have only once in a decade!!!
Formula 1 is a big Circus travelling around the World to entertaining people and make money as much as possible, Money? Sauber-team has now an own Wind canal to research aerodynamic, speed and stuff, this building with a wind canal they said costs 100mio Euro or francs, even 200mio francs im not sure anymore, with so much money u can build a city in a third world country!!! ;-) Also the wages of the drivers runs in unlimited highs, almost all drivers have a house in MOnaco

Rex

Reaction score
Well Williams already unveil new radical looking-FW26, with short nose cone, and other things could all assisting aerodynamic performance..it's interesting to see how all of this works together to steal Ferrari'scrown and winning most races...

I'm looking forward to watch their season's progress in final... ;)

Rex

Reaction score
Williams FW26 launch-in pictures

fw26_01_050104_294.jpg

fw26_02_050104_294.jpg

fw26_03_050104_294.jpg

fw26_04_050104_294.jpg

fw26_09_050104_172.jpg

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Williams Rulez, the new car looks a bit different, with this kind of nose, im wondering is it only Williams or do all teams have noses like Williams, if Williams have that it will no take long time and other team also got it soon
The car is amazing a new style

Rex

Reaction score
Intensive 2004 test schedule gets underway

With just two months to go before the opening round of the 2004 season, Formula One testing resumes in earnest this week following the end of the winter break. Williams, Ferrari, Renault and Toyota are expected on track at the Spanish circuit of Jerez today (Wednesday), where running is due to continue until next Tuesday.

Following this week’s launch of the FW26, Williams will be testing for seven consecutive days in a bid to ensure they avoid the poor early-season form that blighted their 2003 campaign. Test driver Marc Gene will shoulder the bulk of the driving responsibilities, assisted by Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher.

McLaren will be among the other Michelin teams at Jerez, with the British squad scheduled to run from Thursday to Sunday inclusive. Kimi Raikkonen will get his first taste of the MP4-19, with David Coulthard and tester Pedro de la Rosa joining the Finn. BAR are also due to join the session on Friday for five days of work.

Ferrari are the sole Bridgestone squad on track this week. The world champions are in action at Jerez from Thursday to Saturday. Sauber’s 2003 test programme will begin at next week’s Valencia test, while Jordan will join Ferrari and Sauber for a four-day Barcelona session commencing January 20.

All schedules are provisional and subject to change.

(formula1.com)

Rex

Reaction score
Ferrari announce January launch date

Formula One World Champions Ferrari will officially launch their 2004 car later this month, it has been announced. The as-yet unnamed machine will be unveiled at the team’s Maranello headquarters on Monday January 26.

In both 2002 and 2003 Ferrari started the season with the previous year’s car. However, with key rivals Williams and McLaren having already made promising track debuts with their 2004 contenders, Ferrari will be keen to have their new car tried and tested ahead of the Australian Grand Prix on March 7.

Ferrari’s driver line-up for the new season remains unchanged with Michael Schumacher, gunning for a record seventh world drivers’ title, again paired with Rubens Barrichello as the Italian team look to secure an unprecedented sixth successive constructors’ crown. (formula1.com)

Rex

Reaction score
Sauber unveil the C23 in Salzburg

Sauber unveiled their challenger for the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship on Monday when the wraps came off the new C23 at Salzburg Airport in Austria. The car, which will be driven by Giancarlo Fisichella and Felipe Massa, will use the same spec engine and gearbox as this year’s Ferrari.

Sauber have been using Petronas-badged Ferrari engines since 1997, but traditionally they have received the Italian team’s previous season specification. For 2004, however, the C23 will benefit from the world champions’ latest V10, as well as their seven-speed gearbox.

This, combined with the development benefits the team hope they can reap from their recently completed state-of-the-art wind tunnel, means that boss Peter Sauber is confident of the C23’s potential. “Our goal for 2004 is to clearly increase our performance,” he said ahead of Monday’s launch. “How well we’ll be able to do this primarily depends on how quickly we’ll be able to translate the results of our wind tunnel work to the race track.”

Technical Director Willy Rampf revealed that the Swiss team chose a pragmatic approach to the C23’s design, with the aim of developing a car with a sound basis and plenty of potential for continued development. “Owing to the fact that we will not be able to start working in our new wind tunnel until after the roll-out of the C23, this solution made sense to us more than any other,” he commented.

Sauber have abandoned their familiar twin-keel design for the C23 in a bid to make the new car stiffer and lighter. However, Rampf admitted that it had failed one of the FIA's mandatory crash tests, which it will have to retake later this month.

One man at Sauber who will have plenty of experience of the C23's Ferrari engine-gearbox package is Felipe Massa. The Brazilian, who made his competitive Formula One debut with Sauber in 2002, spent all of last season testing for Ferrari, a role he is also continuing into 2004. “I’ve learnt a lot during my year as a test driver and am ready, now, to apply this knowledge to the race track,” he said.

The C23 will get its first track outing on Wednesday when the team begin a three-day test session at Valencia in Spain.

Here Sauber C23 - in pictures.

sauber01_130104_294.jpg

sauber07_130104_294.jpg

sauber06_130104_294.jpg

sauber05_130104_294.jpg

Rex

Reaction score
Barrichello extends Ferrari deal

Rubens Barrichello will drive for Ferrari until at least the end of 2006 after signing a new deal with the Italian team, it was revealed on Wednesday.

“Ferrari announces that it has extended its agreement with the driver Rubens Barrichello to cover the 2005 and 2006 racing seasons,” said the team in a press release.

"I'm very proud, I have done this at the right moment in my career and it is another step forward," Barrichello told a press conference. "Clearly Ferrari are happy with my work and I am happy here with Ferrari. Another two years is not just a question of security because there is still a lot of work to do."

The contract extension means that Ferrari’s driver and key technical line-up will remain unchanged for the next three seasons. Michael Schumacher, technical director Ross Brawn, managing director Jean Todt and chief designer Rory Byrne are all committed to the Maranello squad until 2006.

Barrichello joined Ferrari for the 2000 season and since then his partnership with Schumacher has proved the most successful in Formula One racing. He has won a total of seven races for the team and finished fourth in the 2003 drivers’ championship, with victories in the British and Japanese Grands Prix. (formula1.com)

-----------------------------------------------

:) Forza Rubinho!! :cool:

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The new season starts in march, Ferrari really could be in trouble this year, if Bridgestone havent made any improvements, all other top teams are on Michelin tyres, McLaren and BMW are very strong this year, Kimi Raikonnen reched a new lap record for Jerez (SPA) with the new car, this year theres no big favorit, because last season showed us that all teams and drivers are near together but the Ferrari was the best car, almost no technical problems, and Schumi just the best driver on earth, maybe the BEST EVER, 2004 Schumi, Montoya & Raikonnen have the best chances to win the Championship :tongue: ;) :D

Rex

Reaction score
Mooky, Schumi has been awarded Man Of The Year by fanatical public of this sport. This season surely will be as interesting as 2003, with key rivals Ferrari, both McLaren and Williams has made an improvement in all assisting their performances. But I still keep in faith on Ferrari... ;)

Rex

Reaction score
French Grand Prix confirmed for 2004

The coming Formula One season will feature an unprecedented 18 races after the FIA confirmed on Friday that the French Grand Prix will be included on the 2004 calendar.

The Magny-Cours race, which will take place on July 4, was originally granted a provisional slot, subject to the satisfactory conclusion of a contract with Formula One Management by the end of 2003 and the agreement of all the teams.

Now, following a meeting on Friday between FIA President, Max Mosley, Formula One Management President, Bernie Ecclestone, and the Formula One Team Principals, the French race's provisional status has been removed. (formula1.com)

Rex

Reaction score
Toyota unveil TF104 at Cologne base

The Toyota Formula One team today (Saturday) revealed their 2004 race car, the TF104, at their Cologne headquarters in Germany. Penned by Chief Designer Gustav Brunner and his team, the new machine is an evolutionary redesign of its TF103 predecessor.

"We have adopted similar principles for the TF104 race car to the ones we followed when producing the TF103," Brunner explained to the assembled press. "Using Toyota's philosophy of continuous improvement, the fundamental concept was again that of evolution not a revolution. The TF103 and TF104 may appear visually similar, but we have looked at every single part of the car, studied it, redesigned it and improved it. There is no carry over from last year's car, but we have worked on every single part to make it lighter, stiffer, more reliable and with better overall performance."

"Aerodynamics in general are the key to success in F1 and we have benefited immensely from our in-house windtunnel operating at optimum capacity," added Toyota’s Director of Technical Co-ordination, Keizo Takahashi. "On the TF104, we have endeavoured to find the best compromise between aero efficiency and the car's stability."

Underneath the evolutionary bodywork, the Japanese squad’s car's internal components have undergone a significant reassessment and redesign that the team is confident will reap rewards in the long term.

New Technical Director Chassis Mike Gascoyne, who joined from Renault at the end of last season, said he was encouraged by the new machine: "The entire design team has done a very good job on the TF104. It appears to be a solid car, but we will have to wait for testing to see precisely how good it is. 90 percent of chassis performance is in the car's aerodynamics, and that has been the priority on the TF104. We now need to look at ensuring short-term consistency to get the best from the car, the drivers and the team in 2004, whilst concurrently adopting a longer-term approach to get Toyota to the front of the grid in the future."

Toyota said the most challenging aspect of the new car had been on the engine side. With new 2004 regulations specifying that only one engine must be used per car for the entire race weekend, the priority of Technical Director Engine Luca Marmorini and his team was to retain a competitive power output over a longer lifespan.

"With the new rules, we have had to look at doubling the engine's life expectancy from 400km to around 800km," explained Marmorini. "Our guiding principles when designing the RVX-04 have been to increase the durability, whilst simultaneously maintaining the driveability and the performance from 2003. I honestly do not think that there will be such a drop in horsepower with the new engines, but we have had to work a lot on the lifing. The RVX-04 was fired up on the dyno in October and was run for the first time at a test on November 25 in the TF103B interim car. We will continue to work on this before we go to Melbourne, but I am confident that we are up to this new challenge."

Toyota will continue with their driver line-up of Olivier Panis and Cristiano da Matta in 2004 and both said they were naturally anxious to get behind the wheel of the TF104, with the first race of the season in Australia just around the corner.

"On occasions in 2003, we showed what Toyota is capable of,” commented Panis. “Our race result in Hockenheim and our top three qualifying performances in Indianapolis and Suzuka proved that we could do the job. In 2004, we have to use these achievements as a springboard, to focus on reliability and get the results we deserve. That means plenty of points and a constant progression during the year."

Da Matta added: "My first season in F1 was a lot of hard work but highly enjoyable. I was hindered by having to learn most of the circuits for the first time, but along with the team, I think I showed my potential. This year will be a different story and I will be on a level playing field to the other drivers, so we should aim for consistency in our performance and to make real progress to the top teams in 2004."

Test and third driver Ricardo Zonta, with whose valuable testing work the TF104 has been created, will also be busy in 2004. One of the other new regulations for 2004, which permits teams from 5th-10th in last season's constructors’ championship to run a third car in Friday's practice sessions, will give Zonta extra time in the cockpit.

Toyota TF104 - in pictures

toyota12_170104_294.jpg

toyota08_170104_294.jpg

toyota03_170104_294.jpg

toyota02_170104_294.jpg