Alessandro Nesta Thread

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
So I googled "best defender in history" to read some lists, I like lists.

Nesta is so criminally underrated by non Milan fans. I was shocked.

Nesta is the best CB in history of football.

Agree. Archetypical. Perfect CB.

prime rooney destroyed prime nesta lol. That's the perspective of some english pundits lmao. The only reason neta struggled that year was due to injury woes and cause we had leotardo as coach. That team was a mayhem, we fucking used ambrosini alongside nesta in some games. I doubt rooney could have done anything against allegri's milan with a post prime nest and a prime silva and i love rooney btw.
Anyone that says nesta isn't a top 5 greatest Cb of all time then he/she is ******ed and should quit watching football.

We ended that game with a formation of:

Abbiati; Flamini, Silva, Ambrosini, Jankulovski; Beckham, Pirlo, Seedorf; Huntelaar, Inzaghi, Ronaldinho.

If that's not the most overly attacking team ever then I haven't been watching.

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
So I googled "best defender in history" to read some lists, I like lists.

Nesta is so criminally underrated by non Milan fans. I was shocked.

Nesta is the best CB in history of football.

The funny thing is most of those lists say Ferdinand, Vidic, and Cannavaro were better than him :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nesta was THE BEST of his generation. The only reason he didn't perform well for the Italian NT were injuries. In 2006 he outperformed Cannavaro vs. Ghana and USA before he went down against Czech Republic. I have no doubt had he stayed injury free; he would have deserved the Balon d'Or over Cannavaro.

Now for being the best CB of all time I think Nesta is a rank below Baresi and Beckenbauer respectively. Nesta is not as good defensively as Baresi and not as good an organizer and distributor as Beckenbauer.

The title of best CB ever comes down to preferences just like the Pele/Maradona debate and I pick Baresi. Baresi was a brilliant leader, one of the best readers of the game, and in his prime he was untouchable when it comes to defense. Not even Gaetano Scirea comes close to him in defending. On the other hand, Beckenbauer is really overrated when it comes to defense because people make it seem as if he was some superhuman who was impeccable in defending AND attacking. Beckenbauer was better in attacking but not Baresi's equal when it comes to defending. Plus we see how great of a leader/teacher Franco was thanks to Maldini ;)

Sorry for the long response I just thought it was an interesting subject.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
you can say that nesta was the best pure cb, where as baresi and beckenbaur were sweepers.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Now for being the best CB of all time I think Nesta is a rank below Baresi and Beckenbauer respectively. Nesta is not as good defensively as Baresi and not as good an organizer and distributor as Beckenbauer.

All those lists I read, almost all stated that Beckenbauer is the best CB in history. Beckenbauer himself said that he thinks Nesta is the best CB in history, can't find the link, but I'm sure he said that because I remember the boner I got.

I guess (sadly) you have to be a real defense connoisseur (*tags Sven*) to see what a Nesta is.

It's simples with Nesta really. He's a CB. And thou shall not pass.

Brute force... and at the same time so elegant and magnificent.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Just look at Thiago Silva with and without a Nesta beside him. Light years of difference.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
One thing I feel is criminally understated when talking about Nesta - he was consistently good with different CB partners.

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
you can say that nesta was the best pure cb, where as baresi and beckenbaur were sweepers.

This makes sense bro. :thumbsup: :D

All those lists I read, almost all stated that Beckenbauer is the best CB in history. Beckenbauer himself said that he thinks Nesta is the best CB in history, can't find the link, but I'm sure he said that because I remember the boner I got.

I guess (sadly) you have to be a real defense connoisseur (*tags Sven*) to see what a Nesta is.

It's simples with Nesta really. He's a CB. And thou shall not pass.

Brute force... and at the same time so elegant and magnificent.

:thumbsup: :lol: Nice.

But I love Nesta. I have been trying to find a jersey with his name that isn't ridiculously overpriced :cry: but no luck yet.

Nesta as a pure CB (like Tantalis said) is the best of his generation hands down. He's much better than Cannavaro because before Nesta went down against the Czech Republic; Nesta outclassed him vs. Ghana and the U.S. Not to mention Nesta was much more complete and consistent at club level in comparison to that bald midget. That Balon d'Or he won will never put him above Nesta no matter how much people want to say it does.

Baresi I think was a better reader of the game but Nesta wasn't too far behind. If we take all things into account Nesta is perhaps the perfect CB in that he has the smarts and the body to go along with it. He is a great reader of the game, great interceptor, excellent tackler, good header, and was very fast.

This video shows his speed and how well he intercepted plays...even while in motion. :eek: So if we're referring to him as the best CB (not sweeper); then he definitely is. :)

Just look at Thiago Silva with and without a Nesta beside him. Light years of difference.

Yup. That should tell people how irreplaceable Nesta was in our defense. We never looked for a player to replace him and we instead got Yepes who was only a stop gap.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Baresi I think was a better reader of the game but Nesta wasn't too far behind.

I don't think he was. Doesn't make Baresi less of a defender, just shows what kind of superpower Nesta was in defense.

What Baresi had on Nesta was his attacking skills. The attacking phase was probably Nesta's only "weakness".

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think he was. Doesn't make Baresi less of a defender, just shows what kind of superpower Nesta was in defense.

What Baresi had on Nesta was his attacking skills. The attacking phase was probably Nesta's only "weakness".

We can agree to disagree MB. :D I personally think Baresi modernized defending and specifically how to man mark on set pieces. He was a small man (5'9) so instead of trying to out-jump opponents; he would use timing and leverage to beat players and completely take a player out of the game. Maradona himself comments on how he was the best defender he faced.

Nesta was a very capable attacker though even if it was a "weakness" of his. I think his greatest shortcoming is the distribution of the ball. He was a very good passer but not a good distributor. Doesn't make him any less of a complete player because he had everything else.

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
One thing I feel is criminally understated when talking about Nesta - he was consistently good with different CB partners.

I'm talking in comparison to Beckenbauer, who had Schwarzenbeck next to him his whole life

God dammit MB

Beckenbauer is overrated defensively tbh. His attacking skills are superb but his defense was not on par with Nesta's or Baresi's. But good observation Jammin I forgot Nesta played with many different CB and maintained a high level with each one (even in his older years and despite his back injuries). He was the last of the great Italian defenders to retire :cry:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
even nadal, hierro, bruce and sammer were better organisers than nesta

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Mrh i would take materazzi over him cause he was more influential for club and country.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Mrh i would take materazzi over him cause he was more influential for club and country.

Are you actually being serious?
Nesta was a different level to Materazzi.

And injuries aside, Nesta always performed for his country. Euro 2000 stands out in particular, he was amazing at that tournament.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Are you actually being serious?
Nesta was a different level to Materazzi.

And injuries aside, Nesta always performed for his country. Euro 2000 stands out in particular, he was amazing at that tournament.

ofcourse not. i was just taking a dig at some people who overvalue the importance and prestige of the world cup.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
ofcourse not. i was just taking a dig at some people who overvalue the importance and prestige of the world cup.

Ah okay.

Pardon my outburst so.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
CEK7zHLW0AELIVt.jpg:large

hope they play together today :'-)

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I miss Nesta. He will always be a Milan great for me. A great CB and you notice now more than ever with the lack of quality in our team.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
11.04.2007 - Bayern Monaco vs Milan 0 - 2

Alessandro Nesta sovrasta Makaay, sotto lo sguardo vigile di capitan Maldini. La partita finir? con la vittoria del Milan per 2-0, grazie all'uno-due firmato da Seedorf e Inzaghi.
ORGOGLIO CASCIAVIT e FORZA MILAN!

11800110_10153489850449929_651322167033105257_n.jpg