General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
The only tactical thing I would take away from this game, and it goes for the whole season, is the complete lack of pressing this team does. I truly don't understand it. The possession and high backline, I'm ok with that. It's how the team is built to play on offense. But Montella has to accompany that style of play with higher pressure. Otherwise, with a backline playing that high and that spread out, they will always let players in behind. As soon as Milan loses the ball they should quickly get closer together, this team has serious spacing issues. I even understand fitness concerns, we play a lot of games close together. But Montella could always opt for allegri style switching between pressing and laying off. The bottom line is the lines are too far apart and it's just asking for the defense to be exposed.

Add on to that note, I think we have a lot of players who should be comfortable chasing the ball. Kalinic has a great work ethic, and I think silva and cutrone could follow him in that regard. Hakan came from fucking Leverkusen and is very used to defending high up the field. Biglia has experience playing as the deepest mid in an aggressive pressing team, and Kessie is perfectly built to play a role in that kind of team. Idk if it's tactics or laziness but Milan is far too easy on the other team when we lose the ball

:thumbsup: Lack of pressing is what bothers me the most and this needs to be sorted out quickly. That and clueless counterattacks. Hakan is by far the best player to start our counterattacks and should play every match whether from start or from bench. i'm satisfied with all three forwards but they're yet to have proper test. Although disappointed, i still have confidence in this defense.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
In every game we've played 3 in the back this season I've noticed the 3 CBs standing very high up the pitch, almost to the half line and very wide apart. Bonucci in the middle and the other two all the way to the sides like they were fullbacks with miles of space in between.
When we lose possession the regista is supposed to run back and help Bonucci out while the other two CBs move more centrally and the wing backs rush back.
But lot of times that doesn't happen fast enough or at all and we concede easy goals. Something needs to change in that setup

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Bonucci and Romagnoli have been very worrying, honestly. I'm on the more optimistic side, but they have disappointed.

Romagnoli, he's young, fine, whatever. But Bonucci? Today he was solid until that mistake, same with Romagnoli to be honest, but you pay that much for Bonucci for those sorts of mistake to not happen.

3 man defense honestly looks like a crappy idea.
Once our backline played enough games and could execute 4-men defense perfectly, we could have tried 3-men line up.

We took 3 defenders that never played with each other and made them play a set up which is hard to execute. Having a shaky midfield doesn't help them either.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You guys need to calm the fuck down and give this team time.

Real fucking Madrid lost to Betis recently and drew Levante.
CL winners.. :proud::lol::lol::lol:

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
3 man defence can work, but not like Montella is setting it up. He's thinking they're all ball playing defenders and can keep possession, so he's playing them way too far up the pitch and way too widely spread out. All that while the wingbacks do fuck all in that formation.
Saw this shit clearly against Sampdoria and yesterday too. It's costing us dearly. If we see this vs Roma and Inda too then god help us it's gonna be results like vs Lazio earlier this season.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
You guys need to calm the fuck down and give this team time.

Real fucking Madrid lost to Betis recently and drew Levante.

CL winners.. :proud::lol::lol::lol:

We played 9 matches, and we haven’t seen a single improvement.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We played 9 matches, and we haven’t seen a single improvement.

How many of those matches have we played with a consistent starting 11 / same formation?

That's on Montella. He needs to pick his starting 11 and not rotate the squad for every match. If he wants to experiment, he has Europa League for that.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
i dont usually reply to posts that are full of shit, but its sage, so i'ma make an exception for one of the many mods suffering from a superiority complex.
you do realize thats not even an argument cause every team at one points got to lose vs better teams.

hold on so.. you re saying that because his team ( we re talking about juventus here the biggest chokers in history of cl ) lost to bigger teams means that hes overrated ?

by that logic the every single juve player is overrated ?

meh... you can do better... criticize his 1 vs 1 all day cz its true but other than that hes class

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around ...

.... guess not .. :rolleyes:
I think this will be very danger for us in the future .. a mediocre coach to handle such a big team ( at least 'was' ) like us. All he needs to do is go back to coach either Genoa or Empoli or maximum is Sampdoria .. I think he is also too big to handle Roma. Probably me the only one that still hoping that Paolo want to be a coach someday ... eventhough I knew that he declared already that he doesnt want to be a coach

.. but I take 3 points with a grateful smile always ..

Last edited:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
How many of those matches have we played with a consistent starting 11 / same formation?

That's on Montella. He needs to pick his starting 11 and not rotate the squad for every match. If he wants to experiment, he has Europa League for that.

Well you just explained why people arent calming down. They questioning montella which is understandable

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

22141285_10154834214341937_233937908272238257_n.jpg

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
looks so empty

You were right. When I started seeing the empty seats, I also started doubting the attendance number I gave you.

There were 19k fans from our side, and 5k from theirs, according to La Repubblica.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
An embarrassing performance. Had we come up against half decent opposition we would have been hammered.

tuccero9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
the only good thing about this match is 3 points and nothing else.
you can argue all you want about tactics and setup and some of you are right but what worries me at the moment is our cbs.
before the season started I never expected that this was an area to worry. on the contrary I thought that this position was our strongest both in quality and depth.
but every game I see serious individual mistakes that have nothing to do with formation and tactics. I mean how many times have you seen one of our centerbacks gifting the ball to an opponents on our own half and give them a chance for counter attack or a goal scoring opportunity?
I also am one who said before the start of season that I don't expect this team to play as a unit or maximum potential before October.
but these kind of mistakes cannot happen every match and have more to do with confidence and concentration more than anything else.
we have the derby against roma on sunday and this is a must-win game.
this team really needs a win in a derby match to get confidence back and roma is a team that changed comparing to last season, both because they let some key players to leave and because of change of coach. it will be very important to win this match.
FORZA MILAN!