The Official Rugby Thread

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Thanks for the video, San Pato. Brazilian tv is too pussy to broadcast it and I can't find a stream. Keep uploading this thread, please. Ignore the ones who don't like it.

The All Blacks seems to be crashing everything they see in front of them. Holy shit! Are they that good or the Springboks is kinda disorganized?

And why there are only white guys on Springboks? Didn't the black people started to be more interested about rugby after Mandela's support or this manager is biased?

And check out the All Blacks' jersey number 4. Badass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MVnaJcys8#t=5m16s

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Thanks for the video, San Pato. Brazilian tv is too pussy to broadcast it and I can't find a stream. Keep uploading this thread, please. Ignore the ones who don't like it.

No prob. man

The All Blacks seems to be crashing everything they see in front of them. Holy shit! Are they that good or the Springboks is kinda disorganized?

I think its a mixture of bad refereeing ,Bad springbok play and great AB play .....hate to always blame the ref ,but the decisions he made and the way he whistled the game was Sh!t....he didn't blow according to the law ,thats okay ,but the thing that was even more disappointing was the lack of consistency for both teams ....it didn't help that he was hooked up to a microphone which could be heard by the whole stadium....the key decisions he made during the game would've changed the game in either team's favor and we all know who won....

And why there are only white guys on Springboks? Didn't the black people started to be more interested about rugby after Mandela's support or this manager is biased?

Nah dude there are enough people of color in the squad ...some are injured and never traveled with the squad ...and the number of Black people that play rugby are far less than those who play soccer ....although if you look at the under 17/18/21 sides there is more variety in races etc

And check out the All Blacks' jersey number 4. Badass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MVnaJcys8#t=5m16s

There was a personal duel going on between our Captain and him

EPIC !!!!

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
No prob. man

I think its a mixture of bad refereeing ,Bad springbok play and great AB play .....hate to always blame the ref ,but the decisions he made and the way he whistled the game was Sh!t....he didn't blow according to the law ,thats okay ,but the thing that was even more disappointing was the lack of consistency for both teams ....it didn't help that he was hooked up to a microphone which could be heard by the whole stadium....the key decisions he made during the game would've changed the game in either team's favor and we all know who won....

Nah dude there are enough people of color in the squad ...some are injured and never traveled with the squad ...and the number of Black people that play rugby are far less than those who play soccer ....although if you look at the under 17/18/21 sides there is more variety in races etc

There was a personal duel going on between our Captain and him

EPIC !!!!

Is the referees allowed to use the tv or it's like football? The players don't seem to complain too much about the refereeing. Seems to be way more easy to whistle than football.

Why did they form a ruck after John Smith's tackle? Springboks advantage because the All Blacks let the ball touch the field?

Riots on rugby is way better than football, haha. Big badass guys pushing each other and no Xavis and Iniestas diving.

Anyway I think that Springboks could be better if black guys got even more interested to rugby. In american football they run like bullets, no one can stop them.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Is the referees allowed to use the tv or it's like football? The players don't seem to complain too much about the refereeing. Seems to be way more easy to whistle than football..

They are allowed to use tv ...but it's mostly limited to tries(goals) being awarded or not ...for foul play ..etc they are cited and have to appear in a sports court to sort it out ...some get banned for 9 weeks etc

Why did they form a ruck after John Smith's tackle? Springboks advantage because the All Blacks let the ball touch the field?

Riots on rugby is way better than football, haha. Big badass guys pushing each other and no Xavis and Iniestas diving.

Anyway I think that Springboks could be better if black guys got even more interested to rugby. In american football they run like bullets, no one can stop them.

rucks are usually formed after a tckle .....Fights are always better in rugby :

gotta love the french :D

The thing about south african blacks is that they are more on the slender side ...and don't have the build to make it in rugby ...+ the skills required to tackle prop etc etc ....but like i said there are some very promising youngsters coming through the ranks

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
They are allowed to use tv ...but it's mostly limited to tries(goals) being awarded or not ...for foul play ..etc they are cited and have to appear in a sports court to sort it out ...some get banned for 9 weeks etc

rucks are usually formed after a tckle .....Fights are always better in rugby :

gotta love the french :D

The thing about south african blacks is that they are more on the slender side ...and don't have the build to make it in rugby ...+ the skills required to tackle prop etc etc ....but like i said there are some very promising youngsters coming through the ranks

It's awesome how no one can stop them to fight, hahaha.

Isn't it a difference between ruck and scrum?

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Okay you've lost me now ...what exactly is it that you want to know?

Sometimes there's a ruck without referee interference but in this case, the referee stoped the game before the ruck. Why?

The All Blacks guys took the ball and was running before the referee stops the game. Was he trying to cheat?

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Pato, any new videos about the games?

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Another week ....another loss

Boks battered in Brisbane

Brisbane - Matt Giteau kicked five penalties and set up a try as Australia beat South Africa 30-13 on Saturday, a third straight loss for the defending Tri-Nations champions.

The Wallabies led 23-3 before the Springboks crossed in the 62nd and 72nd minutes via centre Jaque Fourie and prop Gurthro Steenkamp to get back to 23-13 with eight minutes remaining.

But Wallabies scrumhalf Will Genia darted over between two tacklers from the back of a close-range ruck in the 75th to seal the win in Australia's first match of the competition.

The South Africans conceded 63 points in two losses to the All Blacks in New Zealand and the defeat to Australia meant they didn't pick up a point in a three-test road trip.

It also extended a long drought in Brisbane, where the Springboks have not beaten the Wallabies since 1971.

New Zealand leads the Tri-Nations on 10 points from two bonus-point wins and has its first away match of the competition next week against Australia in Melbourne.

The Springboks again had trouble with the referees and were twice reduced to 14 men: Fourie was sin-binned in the second minute for a dangerous tackle on Richard Brown and prop BJ Botha was sin-binned in the second half for killing the ball at the back of Australian ruck only meters from the South African line.

South Africa had players sent off in each of their losses to New Zealand and had two players unavailable for the Australia test due to suspension.

The Springboks did get a numerical advantage in the second half and capitalised on it, with Fourie barging over while Wallabies flyhalf Quade Cooper was in the sin-bin for a dangerous tackle.

Steenkamp burrowed over from a well-worked lineout move for the Springboks but Ruan Pienaar was unable to convert either of the Springboks tries, lifting some pressure off Australia.

In an attacking match with limited kicking in general play, the Australian loose forwards were able to turn over a lot of ball.

The Australians led 17-3 at the break but it wasted scoring opportunities.

Seconds before halftime, Giteau drifted across field and got a pass away amid three defenders and Drew Mitchell scored Australia's first try, juggling the ball as he crossed the line.

The scorers:

For Australia:
Tries: Mitchell, Genia
Con: O'Connor
Pens: Giteau 5, O'Connor

For South Africa:
Tries: Fourie, Steenkamp
Pen: M Steyn

Yellow card(s): Jaque Fourie (South Africa - second minute, tip tackle); BJ Botha (South Africa - 46th minute, professional foul); Quade Cooper (Australia - 53rd minute, tip tackle).

Teams:

Australia:
15 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14 James O'Connor, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Richard Brown, 7 David Pocock, 6 Rocky Elsom (captain), 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 Saia Fainga'a, 1 Benin Robinson

Replacements: 16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Ben McCalman, 20 Luke Burgess, 21 Berrick Barnes, 22 Kurtley Beale

South Africa:
15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Wynand Oliver, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Ryan Kankowski, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 BJ Botha, 2 John Smit (captain), 1 Gurthrö Steenkamp

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Dewald Potgieter, 20 Francois Hougaard, 21 Butch James, 22 Juan de Jongh

Poor game by the boks ...we are kinda turning into Milan ....with the Campione syndrome kicking in....whats worse is that we have much more capable players at home for free....:proud:
well done to the Aussies .....well done to the Irish for screwing us over three weeks in a row :mad:...can't wait to Fvck you guys over come world cup :tongue:

Home leg for us in two weeks ...revenge is dish best served in your backyard:o

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
San Pato, should I call every point a "try" or when it's a penalty, it's penalty and when it's a try, it's a try?

Anyway, 2 impressive tries. The one by Drew when he almost lost the ball and the one by the Gurthro with a great team-work by the Springboks.

Why is this competition between 2 countries from the same continente and South Africa? Why not other countries?

And how exactly works club competition? Because even when I see something about rugby it's never between clubs and always between national teams.

Last edited:

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
A try is a try = 5 points ...crossing the line and placing it

A penalty is a Penalty = 3 points.... when they choose to kick at posts without a try occurring before in the case of a conversion

Conversion=2 points ...after a try is scored

Its between three - Tri nations ....Boks,Aus, Nz ...they are going to expand it to 4 teams with the Puma's joining the fray ( Argentina) ...which will prob mean more coverage for you :) ...it's only three because they already play alot of rugby in the Super 14 (club competition) and besides these three are too strong for any other nation to play...they will become the whipping boys after a while ....

the gulf in class is quite big ...Argentina are did great at the WC and the southern hemisphere teams look out for each other....coaching,exposure for young players ...etc and so we are helping the smaller SH rugby nations - Tonga;Argentina etc and if they play against quality opp. they will improve

About club comps. well dunno much bout Europe and America's and Asia ...but in SA,Aus and NZ we have provincial competitions where the clubs play in a league play-off format -top 2 get semis vs 3rd and 4th ....winners of semi's get to finals etc....

As far as i know SA have been said to have the best of these comps.- The Currie Cup ...the standard has dropped because most of the better players are on NT duty....never used to be so much Int'l rugby before

and the main club comp in the SH is the Super 14 ....5 teams from SA + 5 from Nz and 4 form Aus .....league play off format ..etc etc ....1 game vs a particular team ....1 season you'll play home next away etc

this year SA had two finalist ...Namely the Bulls and the Stormers (aka WP aka My team :proud: )

highlights of the 2009+2010 final:

Some Random highlights :

Best team try by far:

Best individual tries:

Best player of the season :

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What's the criteria for a conversion after a try is scored? The guy from Wallabies missed a conversion after shooting of a very bad angle. I didn't understand that position.

Aren't England and France any good on rugby? I thought that England were the best after All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies.

Yeah I saw some parts of Argentina's games in the last WC. I hope that Brazil gets more motivated with Argentina going that good.

Thanks about the explanation and highlights. I'll watch them.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Well ...where you score is taken to the exact place 22m away...so if you score in the corner you will take the conversion on the 22m line in line with where the try was scored...

---score------------Posts---------------
---------5m line-------------5m line-----

----Conversion------22m line------------

ALthough if you score under or close next to the post it'll be from the 5m line ....

About England & France ......I'd say France are perhaps the strongest after the three ....the gap is smaller now(but still massive) ,because more SH players are going to Europe for $$$ and the playing field is leveled ,but on any given day the three will almost certainly win at a neutral venue....i mean wales are a good team ...yet they've only beaten SA once in 100 years or something

No prob. although the S14 is changing to a S15 with Aus getting another Franchise - The Melbourne Rebels ....(whipping boys :p) ....not quite sure about the Format though will do some research....and then i recently read that from 2013 there will be a S16 ..with SA getting another Franchise- The Southern Kings .....will keep you up to date

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Andriy Shevchenko, and Filippo Inzaghi
anyone watch tonights game? pretty good game for me ref was pretty average tho tbh

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The Haka

The game

The All Blacks seems to be very superior than Wallabies and Springboks in this Tri-Nations.

I thought that the Wallabies would give All Blacks a harder work but they got tottaly ran over.

Cory Jane was great. He seems to be fucking smart.

It's weird that the All Blacks have only one WC title. Based on this Tri-Nations it seems that they'll easily win the WC next year.

Pato, is England that far from the 3 best national teams? I mean, in the last 20 years they were 1 time winners, 2 times runner-ups and 1 time 4th place. They're doing way better than their football team, haha.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
The all blacks always win the tri-nations before the WC and then choke ......it's their pre WC high .....but yeah they most prob will along with Aus ....but if SA pick the right players and some reshuffling of coaching takes place SA could win it ....not being biased but SA prob has the best players currently on paper ,but the coach is sticking to oldies ........

England are good ,but nowhere near the top 3 ....ie englands best <<<<<Top 3 best ....they are the complete opposite of the AB's because they peak during WC's ....they even say "england play their best rugby every 4 years" ....but in NZ i doubt they'll do anything special ....but it also depends on the ref's .....the SH ref's whistle differently than NH ....so that could be the determining factor in the end

btw thanks for posting the highlights ...was really busy the weekend ...have you still not found any streams?

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I know that we are BIG chokers but playing at home is gonna be a big factor I still say we are the favourites to win this WC

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The all blacks always win the tri-nations before the WC and then choke ......it's their pre WC high .....but yeah they most prob will along with Aus ....but if SA pick the right players and some reshuffling of coaching takes place SA could win it ....not being biased but SA prob has the best players currently on paper ,but the coach is sticking to oldies ........

England are good ,but nowhere near the top 3 ....ie englands best <<<<<Top 3 best ....they are the complete opposite of the AB's because they peak during WC's ....they even say "england play their best rugby every 4 years" ....but in NZ i doubt they'll do anything special ....but it also depends on the ref's .....the SH ref's whistle differently than NH ....so that could be the determining factor in the end

btw thanks for posting the highlights ...was really busy the weekend ...have you still not found any streams?

Welcome.

I think I did. One portuguese friend of mine was watching the Libertadores through the stream then I asked him if it had a link for Tri-Nations and he said that it has. I also found another one during the Emirates Cup here on the forum and it seams that also broadcast the Tri-Nations.

When it's gonna be the next games?

anth183

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Next game is Saturday 7th 7.35pm NZ time. Not sure what time it is for you but hope that helps. All Blacks Vs Australia. Going to the game too:)

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Welcome.

I think I did. One portuguese friend of mine was watching the Libertadores through the stream then I asked him if it had a link for Tri-Nations and he said that it has. I also found another one during the Emirates Cup here on the forum and it seams that also broadcast the Tri-Nations.

cool .....next game is as anth said ....i'm expecting NZ to thrash Aus and wrap up the tri-nations then and there

NZ by 40+

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Classic All Blacks x Japan.

Jonah Lomu going for an amazing try even being old. Freakin' monster!

Starts on 36 seconds.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score

Well done ABs

Next year ,SA will Rise ,much like milan :proud:

NZ retain Bledisloe Cup
Christchurch - The ruthless efficiency of the All Blacks defence kept their unbeaten Tri-Nations campaign on track as they withstood relentless pressure to beat the Wallabies 20-10 on Saturday.

The All Blacks led 17-10 at half-time and then mounted a rock-solid defensive effort to hold back a barrage of Wallaby attacks before a Dan Carter penalty 10 minutes from time moved them out of the seven-point danger zone.

The two-tries-to-one performance gave the All Blacks their fourth win from four matches but, denied a bonus point, they were left stranded a point away from claiming the Tri-Nations crown for the 10th time in 15 years.

But the win did ensure they keep the Bledisloe Cup, the symbol of trans-Tasman rivalry and consigned the Robbie Deans-coached Wallabies to a record-equalling ninth successive defeat against the All Blacks.

"It shows the character in the team," said captain Richie McCaw as the match statistics showed the Wallabies had 56 percent of possession and the All Blacks made 110 tackles while missing only five.

"We've won games by scoring tries whereas tonight it was defence that really won us the game. We took our opportunities in the first half and then had to defend.

"There were some big hits went in out there and it sums up the character in the team -- defending for each other and keep getting up."

But the game was not without its frustrations for the Wallabies, desperate to come back from their 49-28 hiding last week, as the All Blacks rode their luck with ruck infringements and escaped with warnings but no yellow cards.

"It was a better effort from us. We produced a lot more position and a lot more possession but the All Blacks were successful in denying us momentum," Deans said.

"They were able to deny us momentum at the breakdown which allowed them to set ... it's probably the one thing they do best is they slow the ball which allows them to bring their organisation and athleticism into play."

Australia could not complain about the amount of possession David Pocock and Rocky Elsom ensured, nor the way their pack cleared the All Blacks out of the ruck.

But their multi-phased attacks regularly ended up behind the advantage line as McCaw and Kieran Read led a defensive effort that shut down the gaps, and Elsom admitted the Wallabies had done all they could.

"To a man every guy out there put everything they had into getting over the line. We didn't get there but it wasn't through lack of trying."

Although the Wallabies controlled possession for the first five minutes it was the All Blacks who scored first in a move which started when lock Tom Donnelly snapped up a turnover ball to charge 20 metres.

When he was brought down on the 22-metre line by Kurtley Beale the All Blacks quickly recycled and Mils Muliaina was sent over in the corner.

Carter converted from the sideline and then went from hero to zero soon after the restart when he lost the ball in a tackle which resulted in Pocock and Nathan Sharpe sending Beale on a 65 metre-run to the line.

Carter was again the centre of the action when his in-out move created an overlap for Conrad Smith to touch down and all the try scoring in the match was over in the first 14 minutes.

A Carter conversion and penalty, and a penalty for Australia by Matt Giteau saw the All Blacks lead 17-10 at halftime.

There was a definite change of mood by the All Blacks after the break as the Wallabies mounted wave after wave of attacks.

The All Blacks put the brakes on their free-for-all running and turned more to flyhalf Carter to kick them out of trouble as they withstood 30 minutes of pressure before a Carter penalty produced the only points of the second half.

The only way the All Blacks can be denied the Tri-Nations trophy is if they go point-less in their remaining two matches and the Wallabies win their last three with bonus points. South Africa are out of the running.