Riccardo Montolivo Thread

How do you like Montolivo?

• Total voters

anilak

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ambro, Rino, Dorf, Pirlo - 4 of our midfield stalwards are approaching mid 30's and won't have more than 1-2 good years left on them. Dorf's already finished. This was our midfield for almost a decade too.

I see Flamini as Brocchi replacement and Prince as replacement for impending Dorf departure.

So high time we search for more reinforcements. Monto is a candidate to take over from Pirlo . But he doesn't have the quality to replace Pirlo from starting 11 now.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I bet he doesn't resign with fiorentina and is sold in summer.

Always thought when they got d'agostino it was kind of a replacement for his impending departure. Fiorentina will sell Monty and Gila and rebuild... they are going nowhere at the moment

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Which is strange becase last in the UCL Fiorentina played really good football. It was entertaining as well as effective. They only lost two games away against Lyon and Bayern Munich, and it was narrow wins with just one goal more. They won the rest of the 6 games they played and came very close to knocking out BM. I was living in Florence at the time and they have become sort of a favorite team. Pity they near as good as they were last year. Miha is not the right choice I believe.

On topic I really dont think Monty will come here and I dont think that is going to be a loss for Milan

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Which is strange becase last in the UCL Fiorentina played really good football. It was entertaining as well as effective. They only lost two games away against Lyon and Bayern Munich, and it was narrow wins with just one goal more. They won the rest of the 6 games they played and came very close to knocking out BM. I was living in Florence at the time and they have become sort of a favorite team. Pity they near as good as they were last year. Miha is not the right choice I believe.

On topic I really dont think Monty will come here and I dont think that is going to be a loss for Milan

They where robbed against Bayern Munich.

I also would never compare Gio to Dinho because Dinho has been excellent & rubbish at times at Milan & Gio will never get near Ronaldinho's excellent levels & these levels for Dinho are still 40% down on his best at Barca.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Ambro, Rino, Dorf, Pirlo - 4 of our midfield stalwards are approaching mid 30's and won't have more than 1-2 good years left on them. Dorf's already finished. This was our midfield for almost a decade too.

I see Flamini as Brocchi replacement and Prince as replacement for impending Dorf departure.

So high time we search for more reinforcements. Monto is a candidate to take over from Pirlo . But he doesn't have the quality to replace Pirlo from starting 11 now.

Boateng can play the same positions as Seedorf he his however a totally different player.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
NO SANK YOU!

Pirlo is so much better, if Milan want to buy a player to replace Pirlo, I'd like someone better or atleast potentially better.

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Dunno why u guys will say no to him, I can imagine he can be easily an upgrade for Ambro as our anchor.
He's too lightweight for that ? haha... don't let his sleepy eyes trick you, he's already used only accompanied by only one CM (Mind u not DM) as his companions on fio mid-line and not cause problem.

U know what funny ? I'm always see him as better "DM" than other people that see him as playmaker like Pirlo lol, yeah his pass is good, can spread the ball etc etc. But he never strike me as creative power like most people regard him.

With right price I'll welcome him.

this set-up is killer if u ask me.

Pirlo - Flamini/Gattuso
Montolivo

@sage
than just not regard him as pirlo replacement, seriously his hair n wussy eyes trick people about his game lol.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
stupid gazetta doesn't post previous year stats. But Fertygo is right. I was surprised but last year he was top teir in Serie A in tackles won. Underrated defensively

For record this year he's averaging tackles won at a higher rate than Boateng and Flamnin.

You know whats REALLY amazing. Gattuso and Ambrosini are top 5 (gattuso being #1) in serie A in terms of tackles won per minute. Hmmm i know those overrated senatores couldn't be sooo bad if they were always on teams which finished top 4

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I thought it was interceptions or something, rather than tackles? Either way, he's not bad at pressing players and stealing the ball off their toes, but I wouldn't play him without a proper ball winner.

He's not creative enough to be a playmaker and he's not physical enough to play deep or in a 2-man midfield, but he's a competent passer with sufficient work rate and mobility to link the play reasonably well. If Milan signed him, I might manage to muster a strong enough opinion for a shrug.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I thought it was interceptions or something, rather than tackles? Either way, he's not bad at pressing players and stealing the ball off their toes, but I wouldn't play him without a proper ball winner.

He's not creative enough to be a playmaker and he's not physical enough to play deep or in a 2-man midfield, but he's a competent passer with sufficient work rate and mobility to link the play reasonably well. If Milan signed him, I might manage to muster a strong enough opinion for a shrug.

it was actually just 'balls won'. With no real clarification on how....

I'd agree. You don't play pirlo, montolivo, boateng together. But I don't doubt pirlo, montolivo, ambrosini could hold it's own and dominate most of serie A....

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
No thanks.
Montolivo is far too inconsistent to play for a big club.

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Had a boner for him a while ago but no need for another slow, inconsistent italian playmaker.

ToonInvader

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
мιℓαηєℓℓσ;880306 said:
No thanks.
Montolivo is far too inconsistent to play for a big club.

that's what people thought of pirlo when he was at inter.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Montolivo need more personality.. playing in a big club now could only show us that Fiorentina is the right place for him.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Montolivo need more personality.. playing in a big club now could only show us that Fiorentina is the right place for him.

Possibly. Though he was one of there best performers in ucl last year when they were robbed v. bayern.

He needs to leave fiorentina. MAybe he's good enough for Milan/maybe he's not. It's a gamble I'd take on the right price...

that club is so young and inconsistent.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Possibly. Though he was one of there best performers in ucl last year when they were robbed v. bayern.

He needs to leave fiorentina. MAybe he's good enough for Milan/maybe he's not. It's a gamble I'd take on the right price...

that club is so young and inconsistent.

Youre saying that he deserves a change.. is fair..

But i see him.. more like a DM only.. not a guy to spread energy to the team. He remindes me Pirlo.. when Pirlo play a little bit foward.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Youre saying that he deserves a change.. is fair..

But i see him.. more like a DM only.. not a guy to spread energy to the team. He remindes me Pirlo.. when Pirlo play a little bit foward.

hah thats actually my biggest problem with him. Fiorentina recently switched back to 3 man CM and he looks MILES better. For me his best year was 1 where felipe melo was DM he was LCM and kuzmanovic was RCM? He had freedom getting forward and playing box-to-box.

Since then he's been playing like xabi alonso which is a waste IMO.

I think in allegri's tactics he's a perfect fit for midfield. Actually same with Leo's inter... side of 3 man CM

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
hah thats actually my biggest problem with him. Fiorentina recently switched back to 3 man CM and he looks MILES better. For me his best year was 1 where felipe melo was DM he was LCM and kuzmanovic was RCM? He had freedom getting forward and playing box-to-box.

Since then he's been playing like xabi alonso which is a waste IMO.

I think in allegri's tactics he's a perfect fit for midfield. Actually same with Leo's inter... side of 3 man CM

Is a waste.. you can confirm that watching him in NT. He is been worst and worst on NT.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
I don't like him.

But that's my opinion, Hope he makes me change my mind if he comes here.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I have a feeling that he ends up in Inter this summer, or possibly Roma as part of Carlo's rebuilding project

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Boban, Baresi, Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Seedorf...
He will most likely end at Parma or some shit team cuz he's shit player :o.

Mate, have you seen our midfield lately, its worse than a shit teams just now!

Montolivo would work very well alongside MvB right about now. I hate to break it to you but we aint going to blow 60+ million on 3 new WC midfielders. The best we can hope for is one from Poli, Lazzari or Montolivo, then a South American CAM or Eriksen for CAM and finally we might see a Mascherano type signing, a B&G favourite where a big player is available for cheap... Thats the best we can hope for, so a player that you deem shit is the kinda player we're likely to end up with, if your not happy with that away a support Real or Man City. Milan are in a transitional period, most on here are learning to deal with it and we're reigning in our transfer ambitions, I think you should try it also.

I await a childish retort with anticipation :rolleyes:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Montolivo would work very well alongside MvB right about now. I hate to break it to you but we aint going to blow 60+ million on 3 new WC midfielders. The best we can hope for is one from Poli, Lazzari or Montolivo, then a South American CAM or Eriksen for CAM and finally we might see a Mascherano type signing, a B&G favourite where a big player is available for cheap... Thats the best we can hope for, so a player that you deem shit is the kinda player we're likely to end up with, if your not happy with that away a support Real or Man City. Milan are in a transitional period, most on here are learning to deal with it and we're reigning in our transfer ambitions, I think you should try it also.

seriously, Monty + MvB + Boateng is a major improvement in our midfield. I hope we get Monty, and hijack Aquilani and get Poli for the future. IMO, Lazzari isn't too good.

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
seriously, Monty + MvB + Boateng is a major improvement in our midfield. I hope we get Monty, and hijack Aquilani and get Poli for the future. IMO, Lazzari isn't too good.

Cant fault that midfield, yes we could do better, but bringing in Monty, re-signing MvB and getting Prince fit would be a massive thing for us... Although getting Mascherano rather than re-signing MvB would be a transfer of Ibra type proportions ;)

If we get Monty, Mexes and some free transfers then wait for Papa Berlu to splash some cash on a couple of new toys we'll be moving in the right direction. One of the main reasons I want Monty is that he's better than Lazzari, and the main reason we wanted Lazzari was because he's better than Dorf and Italian, Monty is better than Dorf and Lazzari and is Italian so it should be a no brainer :tongue:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Cant fault that midfield, yes we could do better, but bringing in Monty, re-signing MvB and getting Prince fit would be a massive thing for us... Although getting Mascherano rather than re-signing MvB would be a transfer of Ibra type proportions ;)

If we get Monty, Mexes and some free transfers then wait for Papa Berlu to splash some cash on a couple of new toys we'll be moving in the right direction. One of the main reasons I want Monty is that he's better than Lazzari, and the main reason we wanted Lazzari was because he's better than Dorf and Italian, Monty is better than Dorf and Lazzari and is Italian so it should be a no brainer :tongue:
Yea, isn't Monty rumored to be closer to Inter and Bayern than us? For some reason, I doubt Barca is just going to let Mascherano walk for cheap though =/

Marco Gullit

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yea, isn't Monty rumored to be closer to Inter and Bayern than us? For some reason, I doubt Barca is just going to let Mascherano walk for cheap though =/

I think its all just paper talk just now, until something concrete comes out that he's not re-signing I think any team with 10 million has a chance to pick him up... If Barca get Cesc they will look to offload someone and a sensible offer might tempt Masch away. If they paid 24 million then an offer of 16 million upwards would be considered I think, anything less than that I think will be deamed cheeky!

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Dont problem with Montolivo is that a) he hasnt really shown anything on the big stage and b) he is extremly slow, I mean even slower then Pirlo and that is a rarity. I like Ilicic from Palermo but I dont think he suits us that well, I actually like having Robinho as AM so I feel we should focus on getting two CM:s, a left back and a CB

Reaction score

Montolivo isnt the guy for our Midfielder Nuff Said :o
The only Italian(that i know off) i'd get would be Marchisio.
I'd rather promote one of our youngsters then waste money on a 50/50 player im dead serious.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Dont problem with Montolivo is that a) he hasnt really shown anything on the big stage and b) he is extremly slow, I mean even slower then Pirlo and that is a rarity. I like Ilicic from Palermo but I dont think he suits us that well, I actually like having Robinho as AM so I feel we should focus on getting two CM:s, a left back and a CB

Thats a complete lie, lol. Haver you even watched montolivo?

speed demon? Nah.. but not slow