Official Basketball thread(NBA; EuroLeague etc)

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
best mid-range shooters in NBA are Dirk and KD. They'r also excellent long range threats but yeah.

Per bball-reference:

Blake is 41.5% from 10-16 feet, and 41.6% frm 16-23 feet
KD is 53.8% from 10-16 feet, 46% from 16-23 feet
Dirk is 51.7% and 43%

Obviously they all have specific spots they prefer, and context of look (shot clock, pressure of defender) matters. But yeah in terms of getting a clean good look out of mid-range w/ a high % chance of going in Dirk and KD are best
Those 2 are definitely better than Blake at it. Around the league, Chris Paul was considered as the best midrange shooter, if we aren't going for bigs only. I don't consider KD as a big. Paul struggles this season because of his broken finger, I am talking about last 5-6 seasons. While KD and Dirk have better precentages, you have to take that column before it into consideration since it gives the frequency or the % of midrange jumpers of all shots the player takes. KD obviously sets for far less mid range jumpers than Dirk and CP3 so I'd eliminate him from further discussion. It's not that he couldn't be better than them at it if he wanted but why settle for midrange dribble pull ups when you can do the same from 3 pt range, right? Same goes for Curry, it's just not the big part of their game and rightfully so.
So that leaves us with CP3 and Dirk. Dirk has superior frequency and % by little margin. But like 50% of Dirk's 2pt fga are assisted while that number is far far less in CP3's case since he's midrange attempts are dribble pull ups which are hardest to make. So I'd vote CP3 as the best midrange shooter but only because other great dribble pull up shooters as curry and KD are not so much perimeter oriented as they are from 3 pt range.

Last edited:

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Oh and assisted column shows data for all 2pt attempts, sport VU data on nba.com will provide the assisted % of midrange jumpers only but I don't think that it changes things significantly enough.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Those 2 are definitely better than Blake at it. Around the league, Chris Paul was considered as the best midrange shooter, if we aren't going for bigs only. I don't consider KD as a big. Paul struggles this season because of his broken finger, I am talking about last 5-6 seasons. While KD and Dirk have better precentages, you have to take that column before it into consideration since it gives the frequency or the % of midrange jumpers of all shots the player takes. KD obviously sets for far less mid range jumpers than Dirk and CP3 so I'd eliminate him from further discussion. It's not that he couldn't be better than them at it if he wanted but why settle for midrange dribble pull ups when you can do the same from 3 pt range, right? Same goes for Curry, it's just not the big part of their game and rightfully so.
So that leaves us with CP3 and Dirk. Dirk has superior frequency and % by little margin. But like 50% of Dirk's 2pt fga are assisted while that number is far far less in CP3's case since he's midrange attempts are dribble pull ups which are hardest to make. So I'd vote CP3 as the best midrange shooter but only because other great dribble pull up shooters as curry and KD are not so much perimeter oriented as they are from 3 pt range.

cp3 is amazing. So is Curry. So is redick tbh.

But for my money i'm going dirk or KD overanyone in midrange cause of a) how great they shoot and b) length

A huge issue w/ mid-range shot is space to get a good shot off

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
ok KD is not really a big, and Dirk is playing into the sunset at this point. just for Blake to be in the conversation is an incredible achievement for somebody who people said can only dunk.

btw what the hell is going on with Derrick Rose? he can't possibly fall from grace that much after a solid last season and pretty good playoff performance. it seems like Hoiberg does not want to use him.

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
ok KD is not really a big, and Dirk is playing into the sunset at this point. just for Blake to be in the conversation is an incredible achievement for somebody who people said can only dunk.

btw what the hell is going on with Derrick Rose? he can't possibly fall from grace that much after a solid last season and pretty good playoff performance. it seems like Hoiberg does not want to use him.
I wouldn't call his last season decent nor would I describe his playoff performance as pretty good, since he's making a bit short of 25 million. Yeah, he did make that banked game winner and had a couple of decent games, but he seems done to me. Injuries were brutal, freakish athleticism is long gone, he didn't develop during those years, fear of new injuries is always present, his jumper didn't evolve one bit since he came in league, he's just terrible at creating especially when he can't drive as much as he used to....
I'm afraid there's like 20 better pg s outhere and he plays ok defense. But to me he was always more of an athletic freak than pure skill. All shit that happened to him was just too much. Human body isn't designed for that speed, those 0.7 seconds 360 spin moves, that vertical etc... For what is worth, he was the fastest player I have ever seen by far.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Rose was AWFUL last year. Had a couple big games and majority duds

-

In terms of Rose this year i've actually loved his shot selection (Stopped taking so many long ones, which he's bad at) but he's missing like crazy. He's getting to rim and inside 10-15 way more often but %'s are GROSS (like 41% at rim). I think it's fair to speculate the eye thing is an issue, we'll have to see.

Truth is i don't think we'll ever see him approach 2011 levels again, but he can be better. Somewhere in between. Mercurial. Capable of a big night but not much consistency

Last edited:

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
The thing with Rose is that although he doesn't have the superhuman athleticism that he used to, he's still one of the fastest players in the NBA, coupled with incredible ball handling. his defense has been great this season, but he seems to be peripheral figure for Hoibergs offense. maybe the injury is still a problem but even with that he shouldn't be this uninfluential.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
The thing with Rose is that although he doesn't have the superhuman athleticism that he used to, he's still one of the fastest players in the NBA, coupled with incredible ball handling. his defense has been great this season, but he seems to be peripheral figure for Hoibergs offense. maybe the injury is still a problem but even with that he shouldn't be this uninfluential.

his defense is bad. That's pretty obvious honestly. He misses rotations and gets beat off the dribble ALL the time.

He should thrive in Hoiberg's o. I do think eye thing is a big problem. He's missing so many bunnies. It's damn hard if you can't see lol

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
861f3a20a0adce75b00b183b0ba79a87.jpg

He's a minus defender, nothing special but slightly above average. Bulls do well on defense, they are 2nd or 3rd best at points allowed per possesion. Their offense was 27th at points per possesion last time I checked and offense is where Rose is notoriously bad. He scores 13 ppg on 14.5 fga, true shooting 42%, usage 24.5, it's just terrible. He's not defending in the paint well but that's on his big mans as well. Frequency is ok, he's not allowing too many drives.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
his defense is bad. That's pretty obvious honestly. He misses rotations and gets beat off the dribble ALL the time.

He should thrive in Hoiberg's o. I do think eye thing is a big problem. He's missing so many bunnies. It's damn hard if you can't see lol

oh well I saw D Rose locked up Lillard and CP3 this month.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
funny thing about Rose is he's played well on national tv twice. Only two good games :lol:

His days of being a star are over. But I do think eye thing is making him worse too. Probably somewhere in the middle is best case.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
lol no...I am 100% anti lesbian curry

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
lol no...I am 100% anti lesbian curry
Good.... My friend, who is obsessed with Celtics, has a theory..
Ainge is about to trade both Brooklyn picks and various other pieces, one package goes to Knicks for Melo and the other to Memphis for Marc Gasol. He is convinced, considering how good Stevens is, that those moves are east conference finals worthy, and could give LeBron a good scare there... Thoughts?

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Hmm, no way ny gives Melo to Boston

I hope to see a go to scorer brought in, doesn't matter who! Obvi my dream is cousins
He's probably the one guy I'd give up the nets pick for

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
NY has no chance of making something work around Melo, imo. Brooklyn pick and their own pick equal a solid chance of landing Simmons, on the other side. Considering how good zinger turned out, that would've been an epic rebuild scenario for them. I think they know that there is no chance of them using Melo's window.
Lineup of Melo, Gasol, Crowder, Smart and Bradley would do wonders on what already is a excellent defense. It would be a solid nba offense imo, with Thomas ad league's best sixth man.
DMC is a dominant big, but full of flaws. His game doesn't translate into wins. You have probably already asked yourself how come that someone that good can't get more than 29 wins a season...?
He has his whinny face always on, he's worse than Doc. You don't wanna see that in Celtics jersey.
Conley could flee in terror this summer, and he should. Keeping Marc would have no sense than..
Just a theory, anyway...

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Clips just can't win vs elite teams. When season started I was sure it was Blake's team, now I think it's still CP3's team. Too bad for clips, 6'0 guys don't lead teams to titles. With the exception of Thomas and Bad Boys, but that was 30 years ago, anyways.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I was just reading it when I heard tapatalk notification... I was sure you've just linked the same stuff without even looking, lol.
Fuck Beck and butt hurt irrelevant Dudley...

look i'm not saying it's not smart. It is. Everyone does it to SOME degree. But it does piss everyone else off. And I do think their focus on this shit tends to cost them at times.

CW2hGoNUAAAndNF.png

CW2hGtkVEAE6z_I.png

CW2hJaDUAAAB33w.png

The Black Pearl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Yes, they bitch and they whine, I think it's not productive, it's hurting them coz they annoy the refs and don't get the call in the end. We all knew that without reading that. CP3 is a bastard, that's true. Blake plays out of control but he doesn't get a lot of calls imo, and he takes lot of beating from bigs coz he put them all on a poster.
No one likes whinners, but Doc forces this us against the world mentality. It builds chemistry, guys become more of a compact group thanks to that but, on the other end, it's the source of their emotional instability and of all the meltdowns they displayed.
Anyway I think bitching won't get you extra calls, quite the opposite. Most calls go to Harden like guys who never even look at referees, and never complain. That's the smart approach, but clips don't get that.

Madridista

Reaction score
Fav. Players
EVeryonr hates the clippers

Like I've been saying for years. This is very well known. Universal around NBA

Howard Beck is incredibly respected reporter btw

The Warriors are much more irritating than them.

I mean seriously I dont know how anyone can like a team with a Draymond Green on it.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
+1 on Draymond. Annoying mother fucker. Deserves to be an all-star though. One of those you hate but is awesome to have on your team.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
You really think Rondo is top 5 PG in the league? :lol:

What the fuck is happening with the Bulls? In a horrible place right now. Not a contender but just good enough to make it past the first round. Horrible place to be in.
Time is coming to blow it up and rebuild. Gasol is old, Rose is crap more or less, Noah was once in an MVP conversation... Gasol and Butler are the only two legit All-Star players and with Gasol getting really old it make no sense to force it.

Still a lot of dudes with a high trade value. If nothing special happens this year (for example Rose turning it on when he gets his eye back) I?d blow the thing up.