Matias Silvestre Thread

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
Can't believe there isn't a thread for him yet. So here it goes. Nesta/Yepes replacement to come?

It’s reported Milan and Genoa could combine forces again on the transfer market to bring in Matias Silvestre from Catania.
The two clubs famously banded together to sign Kevin-Prince Boateng from Portsmouth last summer, plus exchanged numerous players in loan and co-ownership deals.

According to the Corriere dello Sport, they will also go into a co-ownership deal to sign defender Silvestre for €8m.

Catania have confirmed the Argentine is on his way out of Sicily this summer to seek a bigger club.

As Milan already have Philippe Mexes coming in on a free transfer from Roma, there is no real room for Silvestre.

Instead, they would leave the 27-year-old at Genoa for one season to gain more experience.

This system would see Silvestre then drafted in to replace Alessandro Nesta when he retires next year.
http://football-italia.net/jul9t.html

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
Full name: Matías Agustín Silvestre
Date of birth: 25 September 1984
Place of birth: Mercedes, Argentina
Height: 1.84*m (6*ft *1⁄2*in)
Playing position: Defender

Captain of Catania, played for Boca Juniors before. Holds an Italian passport.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
Goal scoring defender. Him + Mexes + Thiago = 10 goals a season

He had 6 last season.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I like him. Actually after seeing how well Yepes adjusted to allegri's system, Silvestri could be a real coup. He compliments Thiago IMO and is key to catania.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
I like him. Actually after seeing how well Yepes adjusted to allegri's system, Silvestri could be a real coup. He compliments Thiago IMO and is key to catania.

signing him through the genoa deal will really work out for us. paying a few million on top of the 8m genoa has to pay would be better than paying 20m if milan tries to sign him themselves. staying another year at genoa gives him playing time, yet buys time for us till yepes or nesta retires

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
signing him through the genoa deal will really work out for us. paying a few million on top of the 8m genoa has to pay would be better than paying 20m if milan tries to sign him themselves. staying another year at genoa gives him playing time, yet buys time for us till yepes or nesta retires

that's the idea. I think he'd be free next summer but Inter and Jube are interested, so Milan have to make a move for him this summer (hence the genoa co-own deal).

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Instead, they would leave the 27-year-old at Genoa for one season to gain more experience.

:lol: thats crazy

I like Silvestre a lot btw, since his Boca years. He was more of a ball breaker and physical player at the time - Daniel Diaz was the leader of the defense. Now he seems to be evolved to a much more complete and tactical player (and he is captain).

On a side note, I don't get why Italian clubs missed Lugano. He is better than all those South American central defenders.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan

Do you know the exact figures of the deal?

Because i think this time we will help Genoa out and not the usual way around. I think we will pay the majority and also send him there as a token of our appreciation/also the bit they contribute to and then take him on next season post Nesta/Yepes. Its all for our best interest in terms of the player but dont have the required space atm.

I could be wrong though...

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

I like Silvestre a lot btw, since his Boca years. He was more of a ball breaker and physical player at the time - Daniel Diaz was the leader of the defense. Now he seems to be evolved to a much more complete and tactical player (and he is captain).

On a side note, I don't get why Italian clubs missed Lugano. He is better than all those South American central defenders.

galatasaray are richer than most italian clubs, thats why. lol

But yeah, i'm surprised he didn't make a move a few years ago. Quality quality defender.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
Have not seen any detailed reports yet.

I feel that 15m should seal the deal for him. And it should happen before our Champion signing in August.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Have not seen any detailed reports yet.

I feel that 15m should seal the deal for him. And it should happen before our Champion signing in August.

catania are quoted at wanting 8 mil total

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I thought the same of Lugano when we signed Gooch; however, then was the world cup and his level was very low. In the WC, Godin, who struggled big time for Villareal, was the anchor of Uruguay's defense.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
galatasaray are richer than most italian clubs, thats why. lol

But yeah, i'm surprised he didn't make a move a few years ago. Quality quality defender.

He could have signed when he left São Paulo, Fener paid 7 M for him. Even Milan was linked with him at the time. And in 2009 he was free to leave, but none make a deal for him (Roma was close to him though), so he renewed.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the same of Lugano when we signed Gooch; however, then was the world cup and his level was very low. In the WC, Godin, who struggled big time for Villareal, was the anchor of Uruguay's defense.

Really? Maybe Godín was better, but he was very good in WC in my opinion...

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
I am kinda wary about signing players from Catania. I remember a certain Martinez who was hyped up after having a good season, enough for Juve to splash 12m on him. What a FAIL that turned out to be...

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
catania are quoted at wanting 8 mil total

I mean like overall, because that's the price quoted to Genoa. And we obviously have to pay them for helping us, just like the Boateng deal. They bought Boateng for 3???, and we paid around 8-10m in the end? It should work out this way.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu

I'm pretty sure we signed Gooch after the confederation cup and not the world cup

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I mean like overall, because that's the price quoted to Genoa. And we obviously have to pay them for helping us, just like the Boateng deal. They bought Boateng for 3???, and we paid around 8-10m in the end? It should work out this way.

juventus

http://www.espnstar.com/football/se...639815/Juventus-quoted-€8m-fee-for-Silvestre/

Catania general director Pietro Lo Monaco reveals talks with Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta have been arranged, but that the club would only accept €8m upfront for his services.
"Matias is without doubt one of the best defenders around in Serie A," Lo Monaco said, according to **********.
"We want €8m for him and are not interested in any special conditions or variables.
"I'll speak with Giuseppe Marotta on Friday to see what they want."

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
I am kinda wary about signing players from Catania. I remember a certain Martinez who was hyped up after having a good season, enough for Juve to splash 12m on him. What a FAIL that turned out to be...

Its okay

Think Juan Manuel Vargas

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
seems to be a very good player

i hope berlu catches him for us

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
it would be great to add him. plus it would be good for our relationship with Genoa for him to be there for a year.

with all of our business with Torino I think Ogbonna is on the way, he can take Bonera's spot as a CB/FB backup and then next year when Nesta and Yepes probably retire the two of them compete with Mexes to start.

sounds like a great plan to me

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
I don't understand Galliani's bullshit to minimize the team to 25/26 players before the season...

Next season Nesta, Yepes, Bommel, Gattuso, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Zambrotta, Oddo are all on verge of retiring...

So better buy players now then i think...

Just make simple business to make Crap to useful things like:

Bonera out for Ogbonna.

Oddo our for ? ... De Sciglio ?

Antonini our for ?

av1hs89

Passive Fanatic
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Nesta, Rino, Sheva, Kaka, SuperPippo, T. Silva, Cassano
I think the squad size has more to do with what allegri wants...iirc he said he wanted to trim it down to around 24 players

ROSSONERI 4LIFE

Tu 6 tutta la mia vita
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dida, Maldini, Nesta, TSilva, Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa, Sheva, Pippo, Pato, Ibra, Ganso
Fo thoose who have seen them playing who is better Silvestre or Ogbonna??

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Silvestre by far. He's a proven Serie A player, Ogbonna for all we know could be a one day fly.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Fo thoose who have seen them playing who is better Silvestre or Ogbonna??

the only q would be where will ogbonna be in 3 years.

Silvestre is very good and would fit. But we do have Mexes (injury recovery pending) to bridge the CB gap if we had a high potential but raw CB player

I'm not sure ogbonna is that but he could be. He does provide versitility at a minimum though

Then again we got Ely.

milan88

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Flamini, De Rosario, Ronaldinho, Nesta, Inzaghi, Bonera, Montolivo, Rooney, Kaka
not another defenceman

abbeyleemania

Banned
Reaction score
Mexes is out with long term injury, Nesta is aged. Yepes is too old. We cant say that we dont need any other solid CB's.

i'd take him and get rid of Bonera for him.

CurvaSudMilano

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Abate Silva Zambrotta Gattuso Ambrosini Boateng Pato Robinho Inzaghi Shevchenko Kaka
Mexes is out with long term injury, Nesta is aged. Yepes is too old. We cant say that we dont need any other solid CB's.

i'd take him and get rid of Bonera for him.

How many more players will it take for Milan to make into legends even while in their late 30 for people to stop calling players too old? Yepes is not too old and if you watched any Copa America, you would clearly see that.

Schedule