Franck Kessié Thread

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Extension + pay rise, grazie

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
He was fucking good against SPAL. If he plays like that in at least 20 matches next season, half of Europe will be after him.

nanook

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
cvyjOjN.gif

replay - https://i.imgur.com/6Pdrf1F.gifv

u3x0jbB.gif

replay https://i.imgur.com/iqJsjCm.gifv

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Would be quite idiotic to sell him at this point.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
why no kessie not even on the bench yesterday?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
His arrival date has been mentioned as between 5th and 10th. So next week.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Insane how so many players get bashed week in week out but nothing for Kessie ? This guy is a masssive massive liability . He has absolutely no understanding of build up play, no composure in the final third and thinks he can shoot like van Basten. The amount of small things he fucks up in a game is unreal. He would do fine in a counter attacking team and we should sell him to Wolves for 25mil or whatever they are offering without thought.

One of the reasons we looked good in pre season is this guy not playing imho

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Insane how so many players get bashed week in week out but nothing for Kessie ? This guy is a masssive massive liability . He has absolutely no understanding of build up play, no composure in the final third and thinks he can shoot like van Basten. The amount of small things he fucks up in a game is unreal. He would do fine in a counter attacking team and we should sell him to Wolves for 25mil or whatever they are offering without thought.

One of the reasons we looked good in pre season is this guy not playing imho

Good post. I don't understand it either. If you look at Giampaolo teams (Empoli and Sampdoria) they've always had a midfield trio of technically sound players. Kessie does not possess such characteristics, which is essential to play under a GP team.

Franck plays with too much brute strength, hence why, to a moderate extent, he was good under Gattuso, who mostly banked on physicality in his team. Rino also loved playing him in the role as a ball hogger.

However, if we have a look at Giampaolo's former midfield trios:

Empoli 2015/16: Krunic/Croce - Paredes - Zielinski

Sampdoria 2017/18: Praet - Ekdal/Torreira - Linetty

You see? Those teams contains players who are technically gifted and are able to hold onto possesion and pass between the lines to create chances. Now we struggle to break down the opposition + creating chances because we lack such players. (I'm not talking about the quality of Croce or Ekdal, but their characteristics)

Looking back at it and telling it with regret, we fucked up when we didn't sell him to Wolverhampton for €25m or even more, when we had the golden chance to do so.

Unless we get Rino back on a contract until the end of the season, I don't see why we shouldn't cash in on him come January. Something between €25m - €30m would be an acceptable fee. His characteristics and playing style would work well in the Premier League.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Agreed.

Just look at the number of times Kessie has passed to Suso in a dangerous situation ! It’ll be not more than once every 4-5 games honestly. Most of his passes are when Suso goes to wing completely free . Yes Suso makes less runs but after a point he will obviously make less subconsciously coz he knows Kessie can’t find him. That’s so detrimental for our whole right side and not just that - it makes Piatek worse and Hakan worse and the lW worse coz play is static when on the right side. Suso does possess good quality - that’s undeniable but you need to put your winger in good spots sometimes to make his quality shine. Not defending Suso here but it’s deffo a big point in his staticness and lack of efficiency.

It’s taken a couple months for Giampaolo to realise this because Kessie wasn’t there pre season and the team knows Kessie so subconsciously already adjusted to his playing style and avoided making those runs etc. Giampoalo was probably in love with his Potential and only just realised and confirmed this in his head that some one with such low football IQ will only hinder the team and hence took him out at HT last game. I hope he keeps him away from starting xi for now maybe get him on later when opposition is tired he can be useful with his immense energy then to break play and run with the ball.

Deffo feel if we drop him we will become far far better as a team.

Hope Giampaolo has understood this properly.

Last edited:

Chiko

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agreed.

Just look at the number of times Kessie has passed to Suso in a dangerous situation ! It’ll be not more than once every 4-5 games honestly. Most of his passes are when Suso goes to wing completely free . Yes Suso makes less runs but after a point he will obviously make less subconsciously coz he knows Kessie can’t find him. That’s so detrimental for our whole right side and not just that - it makes Piatek worse and Hakan worse and the lW worse coz play is static when on the right side. Suso does possess good quality - that’s undeniable but you need to put your winger in good spots sometimes to make his quality shine. Not defending Suso here but it’s deffo a big point in his staticness and lack of efficiency.

It’s taken a couple months for Giampaolo to realise this because Kessie wasn’t there pre season and the team knows Kessie so subconsciously already adjusted to his playing style and avoided making those runs etc. Giampoalo was probably in love with his Potential and only just realised and confirmed this in his head that some one with such low football IQ will only hinder the team and hence took him out at HT last game. I hope he keeps him away from starting xi for now maybe get him on later when opposition is tired he can be useful with his immense energy then to break play and run with the ball.

Deffo feel if we drop him we will become far far better as a team.

Hope Giampaolo has understood this properly.

Suso doesn't run at all, his playstyle has never been like that, he likes the ball at his feet and not in space. While i agree Kessie was trash last game and this season as whole.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
As I had been screaming hoarse through the summer, he's such an obvious unfit to the style of the manager that our inability to sell him was one of our biggest failures of last summer market.. right after our inability to sell Suso.

Now we'll just end up selling him for peanuts next summer.

hopetorture

Primavera
Reaction score
However, if we have a look at Giampaolo's former midfield trios:

Empoli 2015/16: Krunic/Croce - Paredes - Zielinski

Sampdoria 2017/18: Praet - Ekdal/Torreira - Linetty
holy shit these midfields are prolly better for gp than our kebab, kessie, biglia midfield..after 400-500 mill spent we start most of the games with this mid. truly mindboggling.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
As I had been screaming hoarse through the summer, he's such an obvious unfit to the style of the manager that our inability to sell him was one of our biggest failures of last summer market.. right after our inability to sell Suso.

Now we'll just end up selling him for peanuts next summer.

fuck the manager, his style is shit anyway

Agree that Kessie is an issue though. We should replace him in the starting XI or give him a more limited role and free up other players.

That's why I preferred Bakayoko, that guy can destroy but is also smart at driving the ball forward and passing. At least he was that way last season...

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Keep Kessie out of the final third and he’s actually a very good player.

Good positional sense, work-rate, appreciation for space and strength on the physical side.

Good first touch, ball control, press resistant, underrated passing range both short and long.

Restrict his forward movement and have him cover for an attacking fullback and he’s more than capable.

His ability to hold the ball up and receive it on the turn really helps us advance up the field when we have throw ins to.

Long term I think he makes a very good anchor, but for now a more restricted mezz’ala role or double pivot and he’s far from a major problem.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lol what an overrating. What positional sense? He doesn't have that.. but he is physical beast to compensate for it.
Good first touch? If you are not usually the poster i appreciate and like to read, i would think you are trolling at this point.
Good ball control? Absolutely not true, again his physicality helps him with that.

"Underrated passing range both short and long" What does that even mean? Either he has good passing range or not... his attempts on long passes are totally random, hit or miss. That's why he doesn't do them often, he opts for the easiest close pass AND he manages to fuck those up sometimes.

Restrict his forward movement and you removed one of his few qualities (appreciation for space as you said.. and in general he is good at finding himself in good attacking positions)

He ruins number of our attacks every game, similar to Suso.
I appreciated him early but when you look more objectively.. he is NOT improving with us at all, every year same shit... he didn't upgrade even one aspect of his game and this current state is close to his peak

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
Lol what an overrating. What positional sense? He doesn't have that.. but he is physical beast to compensate for it.
Good first touch? If you are not usually the poster i appreciate and like to read, i would think you are trolling at this point.
Good ball control? Absolutely not true, again his physicality helps him with that.

"Underrated passing range both short and long" What does that even mean? Either he has good passing range or not... his attempts on long passes are totally random, hit or miss. That's why he doesn't do them often, he opts for the easiest close pass AND he manages to fuck those up sometimes.

Restrict his forward movement and you removed one of his few qualities (appreciation for space as you said.. and in general he is good at finding himself in good attacking positions)

He ruins number of our attacks every game, similar to Suso.
I appreciated him early but when you look more objectively.. he is NOT improving with us at all, every year same shit... he didn't upgrade even one aspect of his game and this current state is close to his peak

He absolutely does have a good positional sense. He knows where to be to help the buildup, or where to move to keep the attack flowing.

How often do you see him loose the ball with a bad first touch? He controls it very well and usually turns in the right direction due to his good awareness of surroundings. Ball control/touch have nothing to do with physicality so I'm not sure how what you mean when you say his physicality helps there.

He has the ability to play long passes because he has good passing technique....even though he rarely plays long passes. His short passes are usually crisp and hit their target. Again.....his problem is when he reaches the final third and has to make a decision....which he sucks at.

My only technical issue with Kessie is his shooting technique....which is poor and really needs improvement. Kessie has almost all the other technical skills required to be a good deeper midfielder.

I'm not saying he cant move around to keep things flowing.....but he no longer needs to be arriving in the box as much to finalize plays.

I agree that he hasn't really improved at all, and that could be a symptom of the club being a total mess or he has reached his ceiling. Either way we know what he needs to improve, but compared to other players at or near the starting team currently he really isn't as much of an issue (compared with Suso, Hakan or Musacchio for example).

If we get a good offer for him I would consider taking it, and that goes for almost every player in the squad bar Donnarumma, Romagnoli and a couple others. But I would sell at least 10 players before him.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Kessie should be transitioned to an active DM since he sucks at ball control and helping the play forward, yet he is a physical presence. If he can become more defensive he can allow Bennacer to step up slightly more and create chances from mid. 4-2-3-1 is where it's at. Put Paqueta in front of them also and you have a much more solid midfield.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Kessie should be transitioned to an active DM since he sucks at ball control and helping the play forward, yet he is a physical presence. If he can become more defensive he can allow Bennacer to step up slightly more and create chances from mid. 4-2-3-1 is where it's at. Put Paqueta in front of them also and you have a much more solid midfield.

Kessie will never be a DM for the very reason you mentioned, he sucks at ball control (and passing too)

Today no team can afford to play such a technically limited player in front of the defence, because he would lose the ball easily against team that does high pressing.

He's a B2B, that uses his strenght and his runs to help both defence and attack.