Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Feel this is their best bet

abCH9v6ar.jpg

Continuity from club ...least minutes out of the big teams ...chemistry in defence :thumbsup:

Not saying this is a bad formation, but if SKY is right about the 23 call-ups posted here above, with this formation it wouldn't make sense bringing six (6!) attackers.

I really don't see Prandelli playing a 3-5-2 at the moment.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Prandelli said he was 'tempted' to pick all 6 strikers, and SKY was speculating based on that. I see him dropping one of Destro or Borini, probably Borini.

My guess on his starting lineup is -

-----------------Buffon---

--Maggio---Barzagli---Chiellini---Criscito

-----------Pirlo---DDR---Marchisio---

------------------Montolivo-----
--------Giovinco-----------Cassano--

Like he has been attempting to do, Giovinco and Cassano can both drop back and play-make in turn.. Creating a very fluid attack, with no real Prima Punta.

Although eventually, lack of goals might lead to him starting Balotelli over Giovinco or Montolivo (with Gio dropping back in that case).

The substitute attackers in the 23 would thus be Balotelli, Di Natale and Destro/Borini.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Yeah, makes more sense this way.

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Prandelli said he was 'tempted' to pick all 6 strikers, and SKY was speculating based on that. I see him dropping one of Destro or Borini, probably Borini.

My guess on his starting lineup is -

-----------------Buffon---

--Maggio---Barzagli---Chiellini---Criscito

-----------Pirlo---DDR---Marchisio---

------------------Montolivo-----
--------Giovinco-----------Cassano--

Like he has been attempting to do, Giovinco and Cassano can both drop back and play-make in turn.. Creating a very fluid attack, with no real Prima Punta.

Although eventually, lack of goals might lead to him starting Balotelli over Giovinco or Montolivo (with Gio dropping back in that case).

The substitute attackers in the 23 would thus be Balotelli, Di Natale and Destro/Borini.

Seeing as Monty is a doubt I wonder if Prandelli would consider a trident of Giovinco, Cassano and Balotelli. On paper its looks fantastic but I might supsect that Prandelli, and I agree with him here, thinks that it would make Italy too attacking.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Seeing as Monty is a doubt I wonder if Prandelli would consider a trident of Giovinco, Cassano and Balotelli. On paper its looks fantastic but I might supsect that Prandelli, and I agree with him here, thinks that it would make Italy too attacking.

There's another alternative at trequartista.. The only natural CAM in the squad, Diamanti.

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Well yea I see Diamanti only as a utility player but who knows

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So Montolivo is fit now. Prandelli was trying out Monty behind Balotelli and Cassano. With a midfield of Pirlo-De Rossi-Marchisio.

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Pirlo: 'Italy are like Juventus'
By Football Italia staff

Andrea Pirlo is confident Italy can shine at Euro 2012 by taking inspiration from Juventus. “At Milan they thought I was finished, but here I am...”

The midfielder’s contract with the Rossoneri was allowed to expire a year ago and he revitalised his career by becoming decisive for Scudetto winners Juventus.

“At Milan they thought I was finished, but here I am...” smiled Pirlo in a press conference on international duty with Italy.

“I don’t know if I will continue my Azzurri career until the 2014 World Cup. We’ll see if I am still useful and will still be called up.”

Cesare Prandelli has pledged that Pirlo will have a crucial role in the European Championships next month.

“Our objective is to go all the way in this competition. We are not among the favourites and we know that, but I am convinced Italy can finish in the top four.

“Spain are the reigning World and European Champions, so clearly they are the favourites. Then there are great sides like Holland, Germany and France.

“Italy have great inner strength. This side resembles Juventus and can go far, as we have everything we need to go far.

“We enjoy playing our football together, have quality and hunger, so those are our strengths. We aim to reach at least the semi-finals, because we are Italy and we can do it.

“Am I crucial? There are many strong players here and it’s not always true that the one with the most touches during a game is the most important. In any case, I am happy to take my share of the responsibility.

“I have no problem changing position on the field, as I’ve always happily adapted both at club and international level. We’re used to playing in various systems, so Coach Prandelli will decide.”

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
-----------Cassano - Balotelli
---------------Giovinco
-------Nocerino - Pirlo - Marchisio
Balzaretti - Chiellini - Barzagli - Maggio
----------------Buffon

No way Prandelli will be dropping De Rossi though.

Blade of Faith

A New Hope
Reaction score
Prandelli call Giaccherini? Seriously ?
And reports are suggesting that Ogbonna and Destro could be released tomorrow.

I'd rather drop Borini for Destro. Idk about Ogbonna, it seems well in defense.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
-----------Cassano - Balotelli
---------------Giovinco
-------Nocerino - Pirlo - Marchisio
Balzaretti - Chiellini - Barzagli - Maggio
----------------Buffon

No way Prandelli will be dropping De Rossi though.

Nocerino over De Rossi? :lol::lol:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
cutting Astori and Bocchetti while keeping Rannochia is mindboggling. what the hell is Prandelli trying to do

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
Prandelli call Giaccherini? Seriously ?
And reports are suggesting that Ogbonna and Destro could be released tomorrow.

I'd rather drop Borini for Destro. Idk about Ogbonna, it seems well in defense.

Well after Criscito is cut out. There is no way Italy will have just Balzaretti on the left wing. They need Ogbonna too.
Chiellini will play as a CB. I think that's what Prandelli said.

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Italy boss Cesare Prandelli has reduced his 32-man Euro 2012 squad to 25 ahead of Tuesday’s international friendly against Luxembourg.

The Coach decided to omit Domenico Criscito from contention this morning after he was named in the latest stage of the match fixing betting probe.

He then decided to release six more players later in the day and he’ll confirm his 23-man party at some stage on Tuesday morning in order to meet UEFA’s deadline.

The players who have gone home today are: Emiliano Viviano (Palermo), Criscito (Zenit), Davide Astori (Cagliari), Salvatore Bocchetti (Rubin), Luca Cigarini (Atalanta), Ezequiel Schelotto (Atalanta) and Marco Verratti (Pescara).

As is stands, the 25-man squad consists of…

Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Napoli), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Balzaretti (Palermo), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

Midfielders: De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), Nocerino (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus);

Forwards: Balotelli (Manchester City), Borini (Roma), Cassano (Milan), Destro (Siena), Di Natale (Udinese), Giovinco (Parma).

Reports are suggesting that Ogbonna or Ranocchia and Destro could be released tomorrow.

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Viviano: I’ll be back for Italy

Emiliano Viviano is already targeting a return to the international set-up after he was axed from Euro 2012 contention.

The Palermo goalkeeper left Coverciano today after Azzurri boss Cesare Prandelli opted to take Juventus’ Gigi Buffon, Morgan De Sanctis of Napoli and Paris Saint-Germain’s Salvatore Sirigu to the European Championship.

“Unfortunately I have to return home,” the custodian stated on his website after Prandelli cut his 32-man squad to 25.

“Obviously I would have wanted to be a part of the squad, but I respect the decision of Coach Prandelli.

“I hope to return to the national set-up as soon as possible because it is an honour for me to be part of the squad.

“Now I’ll just return to my family and enjoy the holidays with them.”

Viviano, injured in pre-season, left Inter for Sicily in January with the intention of making Euro 2012.

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Axed Schelotto still thankful​

Ezequiel Schelotto is still smiling despite being cut from Italy’s Euro 2012 plans earlier on Monday.

The Atalanta midfielder was one of seven players to be sent home from Cesare Prandelli’s initial 32-man squad.

“It was an experience which I will never forget,” the Argentine-born wide player stated on his Twitter account.

“Being a part of this national set-up will remain in my heart forever. I would like to say thank you to everyone.”

The former Italian Under-21 international was one of a surprise number of inclusions in Prandelli’s initial long-list.

Schelotto, two goals in 37 Serie A games this term, had previously never even been called-up to the Giro Azzurro.

Blade of Faith

A New Hope
Reaction score
Italy-Luxembourg friendly called off after quake

Tue, 29 May 12:43:00 2012

Italy's friendly against Luxembourg in Parma on Tuesday has been cancelled after the earthquake which struck the region near the northern city earlier in the day, Italy's football federation said.
At least 10 people have died after the magnitude 5.8 quake hit northern Italy on Tuesday, just over a week after a similar sized shock struck the region last week.
Yahoo.com

:(

Azzurrii-08

Also known as: LASER.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, R. Carlos, Buffon, Seedorf, Zlatan, El Shaarawy, De Sciglio, Totti

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
The widening match-fixing scandal that has hit Italian football has caused "profound sadness", Prime Minister Mario Monti said on Tuesday, adding that in his personal opinion, it may be a good idea to stop the professional game for two to three years.
Mario Monti - 0
Related links

Juve star Bonucci makes cut for Italy
Juve coach investigated for match-fixing
Bet on Football - Get £25 Free

"It's particularly sad when a world which should be an expression of the highest values - sport, youth, competition, fairness turns out to be a mass of foul play, falsehood and demagoguery," he said at a news conference with visiting Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk.

"This isn't a government proposal, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to suspend the game for two or three years."

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Saw Italy win vs Holland in euro 2000 on penalties...

my god what a defensive performance.. Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro were epic so was Toldo (Iuliano was meh) even Del Piero and Totti were defending well... I miss those days, of beautiful defensive resilience.. the days of when players knew how to man mark, and transform quickly from the zone mark situation... there was more contact, more power, and more sportsmanship in football, a lot of toughness, but a lot of respect for one another, and this is where Milan players stood out, tough technical and respected.. we need to rekindle this

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

there was no zidane .. he went into hiding in that game :lol:

that day i knew he was no maradonna

Fiero

Reaction score
Saw Italy win vs Holland in euro 2000 on penalties...

It was on at my gym last night. Al Jazeera Sport +9 FTW! :D

One of my favorite international matches ever. Nothing beats Euro 2000. Classic number 10s and bad ass defenders. Beautiful.

And Totti's penalty is the best of all time.

milanpalermo23

Fanta-allenatore
Reaction score
Italy plays vs Russia on friday :thumbsup:

Looks like Prandelli is leaning towards a more defensive minded trequartista (allegri style) instead of giovinco. this is the expected line-up for the game:

-----------Cassano------Balotelli
-----------------Montolivo
-------Marchisio--Pirlo--De Rossi
Balzaretti--Chiellini--Barzagli--Maggio
------------------Buffon

That will most likely be their starting line-up in the Euros as well :thumbsup:

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
Italy vs, Netherlands 2000 is a fucking all-star game.

Too bad Paolo missed the PK, too bad that motherfucker trezeguet ruined it once more for polo in NT.

Stam, De Boer, VDS, Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf, Zendedn, Overmars, Rijkaard

Paolo, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambro's legendary red card, Totti, Ale, Delvecchio, Toldo the usual azzuri unlikely hero.

I would give everything to be able to go back to 2000. Those days football was in another level.

Kingmilan

Legendary
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gigi Buffon-Alessandro Nesta-Prince Boateng-Mario Balotelli-Ricky Montolivo-Stephan El Shaarawy
Italy plays vs Russia on friday :thumbsup:

Looks like Prandelli is leaning towards a more defensive minded trequartista (allegri style) instead of giovinco. this is the expected line-up for the game:

-----------Cassano------Balotelli
-----------------Montolivo
-------Marchisio--Pirlo--De Rossi
Balzaretti--Chiellini--Barzagli--Maggio
------------------Buffon

That will most likely be their starting line-up in the Euros as well :thumbsup:

Yeah i think that will be the starting 11 . the 2 spots that can change are the montolivo and balzaretti positions .

Balotelli-Cassano
Montolivo(giovinco)
Marchisio-Pirlo-DDR
Balza(ogbonna)-Chiellini-Barzagli-Maggio
Buffon

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Italy vs, Netherlands 2000 is a fucking all-star game.

Too bad Paolo missed the PK, too bad that motherfucker trezeguet ruined it once more for polo in NT.

Stam, De Boer, VDS, Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf, Zendedn, Overmars, Rijkaard

Paolo, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambro's legendary red card, Totti, Ale, Delvecchio, Toldo the usual azzuri unlikely hero.

I would give everything to be able to go back to 2000. Those days football was in another level.

Me too, that era also reminded me of the old PES :D Del Piero had a badass look, Nesta was collosal, Cannavaro such a midget thug... but nothing beats Paolo he was so good and attentive at all times.

It was on at my gym last night. Al Jazeera Sport +9 FTW! :D

One of my favorite international matches ever. Nothing beats Euro 2000. Classic number 10s and bad ass defenders. Beautiful.

And Totti's penalty is the best of all time.

Jazeera is such a monopoly, I heard they will eventually add German and EPL. They already have italian, french, spanish, dutch, brazilian, argentine, ucl, europa league, euro's... its madness... but with so many leagues to cover, the quality of their analysis becomes really poor imo, they seem like they just want to get through the show, without giving enough time for tactical analysis or for opinions from the viewer.