Who will win the EPL title this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LimerickMilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Zidane, Maldini, McGrath, Keane, Weah, Shevchenko, Gullit, Figo, Ronaldo, Inzaghi,
J A Riise was good player about 3 years ago.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Liverpool agree fee with Aston Villa for Stewart Downing

Jul 14, 2011 12:20:00 AM

Liverpool have confirmed on their official website that they have agreed a fee with Aston Villa for winger Stewart Downing.

The Anfield side were understood to have had a £15 (€17m) million offer for the England international turned down earlier this summer but have now come back with an increased bid to land their man.

Arsenal reportedly made an enquiry for the winger but Downing favoured a move to Anfield with Kenny Dalglish keen to add to his growing English contingent following the January arrival of Andy Carroll and the summer acquisition of Jordan Henderson.

New Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish was keen to keep Downing after losing Ashley Young to Manchester United within days of joining the club, but the midfielder is now free to discuss terms with Liverpool after they agreed a reported fee of around £20m (€22.7m).

Liverpool have also recently completed the signing of former Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam, who made his debut in a 4-3 friendly victory over Guandong in Asia on Wednesday.

The signing of Downing would take the club's summer spending far beyond the £40m (€45m) mark as they aim to mount a challenge on the top four next season.

:fp:

Is Comiolli the dumbest DS in football or what, dude has overpaid for almost every player they bought. And what is with Dalglish's English fetish?

Carroll - 35 million pounds

Henderson - 20 million pounds

Adam - 9 million pounds

Downing - 20 million pounds

The only one worth the money is Suarez, who ironically is the ONLY one who isnt English...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
Adam is scottish, and was 6.5 million pounds which is a good deal, agree with the rest though - 75 million for Carroll Downing and Henderson is laughable

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
:fp:

Is Comiolli the dumbest DS in football or what, dude has overpaid for almost every player they bought. And what is with Dalglish's English fetish?

Daglish is building a good squad albeit the project is proving to be expensive. It wont matter if they secure top 4 though and they certainly can if they sign a defender, a top class CB will go a long way for them.

As for Comolli, he is actually a pretty good DS, just that he overpays quite a bit - the players he gets usually do end up performing well - Kolo Toure at Arsenal, Bale, Modric, Berba and a host of players at Spurs. Even hyped some Saint Etienne talent and made them a good buck. This is by far the biggest project and more money, he just needs to learn to control and negotiate better - time will tell if all the expensive domestic imports pay dividends.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tottenham's Luka Modric puts in transfer request to force Chelsea move
• Croatian stuns Spurs while on tour in South Africa
• Midfielder's request follows Spurs' rejection of £27m bid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/14/luka-modric-transfer-request-chelsea

Liverpool's Conor Coady excels in China in absence of Steven Gerrard
• Liverpool youngster stars in win over Guangdong Sunray Cave
• Steven Gerrard remains focus of locals' adulation on tour

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/13/liverpool-connor-coady-steven-gerrard-china

West Ham want £4m to loan Scott Parker to Chelsea for season:lol:
• Chelsea need short-term cover for injured Michael Essien
• 'We'll loan him and he can return when we are promoted'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/13/scott-parker-west-ham-chelsea

Wesley Sneijder could join Manchester United from Inter Milan for £35m within the next 48 hours after agreeing personal terms of £190k-a-week.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/tra...-190k-a-week-article766256.html#ixzz1S3UY2Ucp

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
As for Comolli, he is actually a pretty good DS, just that he overpays quite a bit

That's not being a good Director actually :tongue: As a director, your primary responsibility is in getting 'deals' done - not in pricing everyone out of a market.

For talent scouting, every top club has good scouts. I'm sure all these guys Comolli has signed were known to the scouts of other clubs too.

Comolli seems to be lucky that he is with owners who don't mind overpaying.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That's not being a good Director actually :tongue: As a director, your primary responsibility is in getting 'deals' done - not in pricing everyone out of a market.

For talent scouting, every top club has good scouts. I'm sure all these guys Comolli has signed were known to the scouts of other clubs too.

Comolli seems to be lucky that he is with owners who don't mind overpaying.

Sometime you just cant get the deal done without giving in to overpaying, usually in the case of English domestic talent. I mean are Henderson and Jones really each worth 20m quid?

Even our very own Galliani couldn't bring down the price of Criscito in January. Also now hes using youngsters to take of the silly 15m price tag for Ogbonna who plays in the Serie B. El Shaarawy was pretty expensive if you consider the value of that deal, i think its the case in most leagues.

Leo is probably going to be just like Comolli is he starts targeting domestic talent ;)

I dont blame these guys, they do a great job, best possible way that they can.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
The press are obsessed with Sneijder to Man Utd. Inter have denied it, Sneijder has denied it and Fergie has denied it yet they still going on about it.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Sometime you just cant get the deal done without giving in to overpaying, usually in the case of English domestic talent. I mean are Henderson and Jones really each worth 20m quid?

Even our very own Galliani couldn't bring down the price of Criscito in January. Also now hes using youngsters to take of the silly 15m price tag for Ogbonna who plays in the Serie B. El Shaarawy was pretty expensive if you consider the value of that deal, i think its the case in most leagues.

Leo is probably going to be just like Comolli is he starts targeting domestic talent ;)

I dont blame these guys, they do a great job, best possible way that they can.

I'm not sure you got what I meant. A director of sport in a football club is somewhat like a sales/purchase strategy head in a regular firm. Primary responsibilities include a) Targeting what the club needs to buy/sell and b) Doing these sales shrewdly.

Comolli does part a) quite well.

Now, I'm not judging whether Liverpool is overpaying or not - but you said they are. Which was why I said he's not a great Director then, since he's not so successful at part b, which is a crucial part of his job.

If you feel Henderson, Downing etc can't be bought for less than that in the current English market, then Liverpool are not overpaying actually. That IS the market rate and Comolli is doing a decent job. So it's just a matter of semantics.

As for Criscito, Ogbonna, El Shaarawy etc, forget all that. I don't believe most of these market rumours. Believe me, 90% of these things you hear are speculation and not verified. I would be very surprised if we were ever interested in Criscito - not at all an Allegri type player :)

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gokhan Inler could have been a very good signing for Man Utd. btw.

milanpalermo23

Fanta-allenatore
Reaction score
Man United Fan--------

What is your take on the Sneijder to Man United deal???? All English reports are saying its a done deal......yet Branca, Gasperini, and Sneijder himself have all said that he is staying at Inter.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Man United Fan--------

What is your take on the Sneijder to Man United deal???? All English reports are saying its a done deal......yet Branca, Gasperini, and Sneijder himself have all said that he is staying at Inter.

99.9% sure that he won't be joining.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gary Pallister reckons Sneijder could fill the void left by Roy Keane. Remind me again why Pallister isn't a manager?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Gary Pallister reckons Sneijder could fill the void left by Roy Keane. Remind me again why Pallister isn't a manager?

He'd add a bit of "steel" apparently :lol:

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gem of a tweet regarding Downing.

RyanBabel
20 mill pounds? *shrugs* ok ..

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Juventus make Tevez bid

Juventus have stepped into the race to sign Carlos Tevez, according to Corinthians, who have seen their offer to buy him rejected.

Villa move for N'Zogbia

Aston Villa are understood to have made a £10million bid for Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia.

Fergie - No Sneijder interest
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims his club have "no real interest" in Wesley Sneijder.

www.skysports.com

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Luka Modric still not for sale, insists Tottenham's Harry Redknapp
• Tottenham stance unchanged after formal transfer request
• Chelsea have had £27m bid for Modric turned down

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/14/luka-modric-tottenham-harry-redknapp

Antonio Valencia ruled out of Manchester United tour by ankle injury
• Valencia returns to England after suffering ankle injury
• Winger damaged joint playing for Ecuador in Copa América

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/14/antonio-valencia-manchester-united-injury

Speculation: Reports in Belgium suggest that Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck will arrive in London today for talks with Chelsea over a deal for Romelu Lukaku.

News: Harry Redknapp has insisted he expects Luka Modric to be with Tottenham at the start of the new season despite ongoing interest from Chelsea in the wantaway playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.