Milan's History Thread

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I also remember the 94/95 CL season. Rarely have I been so dissapointed after Milan lost twice from Ajax. Milan didn't look like the team of 1993/1994 at all although most of the players where still the same. They just missed the spirit at the beginning of the season.

I never expected them to reach the finals again that year, but they did. After the group stages Milan beated Benfica and Paris Saint Germain. Paris Saint Germain was really a good team those days with Rai, Weah , Le Guen etc. Milan really grew in the tournament and played great matches in the semi-finals. Milan also played much better against Ajax in the final than in the group stages. Both teams were pretty equal and could not really create chanches, until the 86th minute...

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
By the way I have never been so confident that Milan would win the CL in the 1992/1993 season. The team was doing great that season. Untill the final that season Milan only gave away just one goal. But instead they lost by a header of Boli just before half time...

On the other hand I have never been so confident Milan would lose a CL final as in 1993/1994. That season the defence once again was rock-solid. Correct me if i'm wrong but only Werder Bremen could score against Milan. But with the departure of Gullit and MvB the team never scored many goals (as well as in Seria A as CL). Milan lacked something in the attack. But because they only gave away very few goals results were very good. The great thing about that season was that the defence was totally reliable. Nobody ever expected Milan was going to score 4 goals against Barcelona that night.

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I don't want to be a massochist, but I was reading some weeks ago how Sacchi hasn't gotten over the loss of the 1990 scudetto. There was some controversial things not only in a Milan vs Verona game (I'm not too clear on this one, there was a goal that wasn't for Verona or Milan did score a goal but the ref rulled it out, and there were like 3 players send off, one of them being Van Basten) and in Napoli's game against I don't know who (something happened with an injury of either Careca or Alemao, the only clear thing I have is that Moggi was in their management...:rolleyes: ).

Well thing is if anyone of you remembers the incidents that happened that day, could any of you give me a more clear image?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
crazy4milan said:
I don't want to be a massochist, but I was reading some weeks ago how Sacchi hasn't gotten over the loss of the 1990 scudetto. There was some controversial things not only in a Milan vs Verona game (I'm not too clear on this one, there was a goal that wasn't for Verona or Milan did score a goal but the ref rulled it out, and there were like 3 players send off, one of them being Van Basten) and in Napoli's game against I don't know who (something happened with an injury of either Careca or Alemao, the only clear thing I have is that Moggi was in their management...:rolleyes: ).

Well thing is if anyone of you remembers the incidents that happened that day, could any of you give me a more clear image?
The controversial game vs Verona was the 33rd game of the season. The previous controversial game was in week 31st when Napoli faced Atalanta away. Before the game Milan was leading 2 points ahead of Napoli and they drew 0-0 vs Bologna away. The Napoli vs Atalanta gamed should end 0-0 so the 2 points lead could’ve been restored. But minutes before the game an Atalanta fans threw a coin and it hit Alemao in the head. It wasn’t like it was a life threatening injury (I forgot if there was blood, although in the post match interview Alemao was seen sporting a bandage covering his ‘wound’). Alemao was ready to get up but Napoli officials and medical teams was telling and instructing him to stay down and their voices was clearly captured by TV cameras shoved in the confusion.

The game was forfeited and Napoli was given a 2-0 win and made them join top of the table with Milan who had superior goal difference. And yes, Lucciano Moggi was in the Napoli management. In week 32, both team won their home games (Milan 1-0 vs Sampdoria, Napoli 3-0 vs Bari), no change in the standing.

Off to week 33 in the Bentegotti stadium. Milan took the lead through Marco Simone free kick and seemed to be cruising away with the victory. Then then ref stepped in. For a start Milan was denied a clear penalty (it wasn’t like the body-checking that Iuliano did to Ronaldo in 97/98 season, it was clear hack on the sin which had MvBasten rolling in the ground clutching his feet). Then came the parade of red cards. First he gave Sacchi the marching order. Then Costacurta was next. With Milan central defence collapsing, Verona scored the equalizer from a corner kick. But the worst is yet to come. Rijkaard got another red card. He had to be physically restrained by Gullit because he was ready to jump on the referee. On his way to the tunnel, wearing his white Kappa jacket, Rijkaard stopped and faced the VIP tribune and bowed his head in mock salute to whoever is in charge of the game.

MvBasten was next, the season’s top scorer (19 goals) was accused of elbowing the defender when he jumped to get the long ball. Straight red to him. In frustration he took off his jersey and threw it to the ground in disgust only for Baresi to call him and ordered him to pick it up. He was pushed and shoved by the security to the tunnel. The game continued. Sacchi with minimum sight of the pitch was standing at the mouth of the tunnel, both hands in his coat pocket. As if the blatant injustice wasn’t enough, a Verona through pass was deemed on side when replay showed that Tasotti and Baresi already moved up front. Verona striker was one-on-one with Galli and he couldn’t do nothing to stop the goal (the goal was like Pippo’s vs Bayern in last season’s CL). Galli literally beat the ground with his hands, his face was like “What can I do? What can we do? It’s been decided”.

Napoli won their game 4-2 away vs Bologna and now have the 2 points lead. In the last fixture of the season, Milan won 4-0 at home vs Bari and expecting Lazio to perform a miracle at the Sao Paolo stadium. It didn’t happen as Napoli did just enough by winning the game 1-0 and became champion. Milan swallowed the loss bitterly and did their revenge by winning the Champions Cup final game vs Benfica at Vienna. It saved their season but they knew they should win the scudetto as well.

JUANES

BARCA HATER
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Crespo, Sheva, Gila, Kaká, Pippo, ballack, webó, tejada and myself
gaizka22 said:
The controversial game vs Verona was the 33rd game of the season. The previous controversial game was in week 31st when Napoli faced Atalanta away. Before the game Milan was leading 2 points ahead of Napoli and they drew 0-0 vs Bologna away. The Napoli vs Atalanta gamed should end 0-0 so the 2 points lead could’ve been restored. But minutes before the game an Atalanta fans threw a coin and it hit Alemao in the head. It wasn’t like it was a life threatening injury (I forgot if there was blood, although in the post match interview Alemao was seen sporting a bandage covering his ‘wound’). Alemao was ready to get up but Napoli officials and medical teams was telling and instructing him to stay down and their voices was clearly captured by TV cameras shoved in the confusion.

The game was forfeited and Napoli was given a 2-0 win and made them join top of the table with Milan who had superior goal difference. And yes, Lucciano Moggi was in the Napoli management. In week 32, both team won their home games (Milan 1-0 vs Sampdoria, Napoli 3-0 vs Bari), no change in the standing.

Off to week 33 in the Bentegotti stadium. Milan took the lead through Marco Simone free kick and seemed to be cruising away with the victory. Then then ref stepped in. For a start Milan was denied a clear penalty (it wasn’t like the body-checking that Iuliano did to Ronaldo in 97/98 season, it was clear hack on the sin which had MvBasten rolling in the ground clutching his feet). Then came the parade of red cards. First he gave Sacchi the marching order. Then Costacurta was next. With Milan central defence collapsing, Verona scored the equalizer from a corner kick. But the worst is yet to come. Rijkaard got another red card. He had to be physically restrained by Gullit because he was ready to jump on the referee. On his way to the tunnel, wearing his white Kappa jacket, Rijkaard stopped and faced the VIP tribune and bowed his head in mock salute to whoever is in charge of the game.

MvBasten was next, the season’s top scorer (19 goals) was accused of elbowing the defender when he jumped to get the long ball. Straight red to him. In frustration he took off his jersey and threw it to the ground in disgust only for Baresi to call him and ordered him to pick it up. He was pushed and shoved by the security to the tunnel. The game continued. Sacchi with minimum sight of the pitch was standing at the mouth of the tunnel, both hands in his coat pocket. As if the blatant injustice wasn’t enough, a Verona through pass was deemed on side when replay showed that Tasotti and Baresi already moved up front. Verona striker was one-on-one with Galli and he couldn’t do nothing to stop the goal (the goal was like Pippo’s vs Bayern in last season’s CL). Galli literally beat the ground with his hands, his face was like “What can I do? What can we do? It’s been decided”.

Napoli won their game 4-2 away vs Bologna and now have the 2 points lead. In the last fixture of the season, Milan won 4-0 at home vs Bari and expecting Lazio to perform a miracle at the Sao Paolo stadium. It didn’t happen as Napoli did just enough by winning the game 1-0 and became champion. Milan swallowed the loss bitterly and did their revenge by winning the Champions Cup final game vs Benfica at Vienna. It saved their season but they knew they should win the scudetto as well.

sad history

well i didnt knew that... now i know why people say "you never stop learning"

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
gaizka22 said:

Are you serious ? do you really have THAT kind of memory ? wow great stuff really:star:

atreides602

Cuore Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
gullit, maldini , pato, baressi
realy great stuff, can anyone remember the olimpic marseille- milan incident, with the nocturn instalation goin off?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Matmil04 said:
Are you serious ? do you really have THAT kind of memory ? wow great stuff really:star:
Combination of watching the game, Milan stats for the last 20 years and reading articles about it :) Lots of the action described can be seen in the Paolo Maldini DVD

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
gaizka22 said:
believe they played the classic 4-4-2 formation. The only difference is how the WHOLE team moved by shortening the distance between defence and attack. The opponent will feel that they are trapped inside a very narrow but wide imaginary box. Attackers can be the first defenders while at the same time defenders can be the first one to launch the offense.

You said this on "ac milan 1992" thread. You are right. They were playing 4-4-2 formation, but they played "total football" which means that all players could be defenders or attackers. If I'm not mistaken Sacchi masterminded that kind of football and thats kind of football that Dutch teams used to play earlier.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
N3d0 said:
You said this on "ac milan 1992" thread. You are right. They were playing 4-4-2 formation, but they played "total football" which means that all players could be defenders or attackers. If I'm not mistaken Sacchi masterminded that kind of football and thats kind of football that Dutch teams used to play earlier.
Won't deny what I wrote :) I won't call it a Total Football because IMO in Total Football there's no real position while in Sacchi's era they have quite a definitive position, they just do it together (I know the difference is paper thin :D ). Meaning the defenders will still be in their position but helping the attack. Same case with the attackers, they help the defense from their position. Former Napoli player Salvatore Bagni said Milan's Sacchi was so great in stealing the ball in the opposition's half and suddenly the whole team moved forward supporting the attack.

Many times during Sacchi's era there will be 8 players of the opposing team defending the box because in front of them there will be 8 Milan players inside the opponent's own half. And many times the killer pass come from Baresi instead of the usual midfielders like Donadoni or Rijkaard.

But for me each individual players in Sacchi's Milan don't have the flexibility to play like the Dutch team, simply because not all of them don't have the all around skill and physical fitness required by the Dutch Total Football system. And more importantly because Milan at that time didn't have someone as selfish, egocentric but super skillful like Johan Cruyff who can command the whole team. Gullit was essential but in terms of in-field commanding and dictating how the team should play he's probably only the 5th in the hierarchy after Baresi, Ancelotti, Tasotti and Evani. Van Basten was ready to assume that role after the successful 91/92 season. He was given that freedom by Capello and influenced how the team should play. MvBasten showed that he COULD be as great or maybe even better than Cruyff but he sadly could never really lived up to the promise.

So let's just say Sacchi's Milan is an adjusted version of the Rinus Michel's Total Football. Flair, flamboyant, fluid passing BUT with steely defense.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Gaizka thanks for clearing that up to me! (and now that I remember, yes that appearead on the Maldini DVD, the thing that had me more puzzled was the Alemao part which I'm pretty sure wasn't mentioned there).

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
But for me each individual players in Sacchi's Milan don't have the flexibility to play like the Dutch team, simply because not all of them don't have the all around skill and physical fitness required by the Dutch Total Football system

Great post(s). But I have one more question left. Who could be considered the 'weakest' link of the Sacchi team?

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
Thanks for clearing the things up to me gaizka :) Appreciate it :)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MilanMarkus said:

Great post(s). But I have one more question left. Who could be considered the 'weakest' link of the Sacchi team?
Weakest link will be a cover for Donadoni, although he was very hard to replace. In modern day version, he's like Ryan Giggs, adapt with both feet and can attack from both flanks. At that time Milan had Evani to cover for him. Although Chicco Evani can really score good free kicks he didn't have the mobility and skill of Donadoni.

Another possible weak link is in the defence although with Maldini - Baresi - Costacurta - Tasotti around it's very hard to find chance to play. Milan only have Filippo Galli, the rest are just youngster.

Then in later years of Sacchi era (90/91), Gullit's injury proved that the system can only work with a powerhouse like him. Sacchi tried Rijkaard in Gullit's role (after MvBasten complained heavily and publicly) but it just not the same.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
all finals won by Milan from World Club Cup / Intercontinental Cup or whatever its called before World Club Cup..

the video started from Milan, 8th October 1969 until Yokohama, 16th December 2007.

ps: i could see Van Basten here at Tokyo, 9th December 1990 game :cool:

edit: i have a question..did we played home-away system in WCC back then ?since when the format changed? because i see Milan VS Estudiantes 3-0 at Milan on 8th October 1969 and Estudiantes VS Milan 2-1 at Buenos Aires 22th October 1969 and BANG we are the winner after the game at Buenos Aires.but other games in this video just like present time (although i know there was a bit system changed too).

Last edited:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Andromeda said:
edit: i have a question..did we played home-away system in WCC back then ?since when the format changed? because i see Milan VS Estudiantes 3-0 at Milan on 8th October 1969 and Estudiantes VS Milan 2-1 at Buenos Aires 22th October 1969 and BANG we are the winner after the game at Buenos Aires.but other games in this video just like present time (although i know there was a bit system changed too).
Yes. The home-away system was criticized due to its long distance travelling. In 1972 (if not mistaken) Ajax went as far as refusing to play the match. Started in the early 80s Japan voluntereed to host a one-off match and since Tokyo is located approximately midway between Europe and South America the proposal was accepted until it was changed into a competition in 2005.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
gaizka22 said:
Yes. The home-away system was criticized due to its long distance travelling. In 1972 (if not mistaken) Ajax went as far as refusing to play the match. Started in the early 80s Japan voluntereed to host a one-off match and since Tokyo is located approximately midway between Europe and South America the proposal was accepted until it was changed into a competition in 2005.

thank u Gaizka :star: :)

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'll never forget this match. This is the best match I saw in the last decade. What a game.. What a real fighters there. :proud:

Seedorf's goal was absolutely amazing... Kaka outstanding, Tomasson to the rescue.

How can you mention that match, without talking for....

:proud: :star:

We were able to beat Merda even sleepy.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
great game and superb bomb from Seedorf, i love that guy Crudeli...i felt sorry for him after seeing his expression when stupid Inter scored those goals but in the end we won and he celebrated like crazy :D :proud:

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Yesterday for the first time in my life I saw the 90 minutes of the Milan-Barcelona CL final back in 1994.

My view before ever watching it: I was under this impression we made thousands of shots, and that we had them on their own side from start to end. I never really thought of Panucci playing in the LB till recently with Roma (of course I should have thought about it, as I knew both Costacurta and Baresi were suspended, so Maldini was going to be a CD, which it also didn't cross my mind). And I also got a little confused with the numbers, watching Maldini with #6, Galli with #5, and Panucci with #3 had me confused for the first minutes. I also thought our first two goals were early in the 1st half, and the last 2 were in the middle-end of the 2nd half.

The game:
The first 20 minutes we dominated the possession and had some danger, but the most dangerous play came from a Romario chance that Maldini cleared out (amazing he still does it the same way 14 years later). After our goal, we played a very smart way. It wasn't pure offensive football, but smart football, we didn't let them have possession in our half (which considering the type of players Barcelona had was the smartest thing to do) and we obligated them to do long range passes. Eventhough I think our defense was awesome, the guy that didn't let Barcelona do anything was Marcel Dessailly with the help of Albertini, but Dessailly was just out of this world, he won us the midfield battle. Another thing that worked perfectly for us was the play on the flanks, Panucci (who was a baby at that time) was close to perfect running the left side, while Tassoti made a great game too on the right side. We were tactically perfect. And then in the last 5 minutes we started doing our thing, becoming dangerous near Zubizarreta's area. Just before HT, one of the greatest and most underrated assists in the world by Donadoni (I think this one is by far my favorite play of that match) ended in a perfectly executed goal by Massaro.

The second half started, and Barcelona wasn't even able to shake of the shock of Massaro's second nor even get settled on the ground, when Savicevic takes the ball away from Nadal (which later in the analysis it was said that it was a foul, but that it was better that the ref didn't whistle it, cause of the beauty that came from it), and then the #10 scored that amazing goal we have all seen. And Barcelona started becoming dirty, they at least made 5 red card deserving fouls, that the ref prefered to show the yellow, maybe cause he thought it could have diminish Milan's great game. Barcelona tried to but they found themselves in front of the wall that was our DM's + CD's (and the rare times they passed them, they made easy shots for Rossi to save). All of the sudden Savicevic hits the post, someone of Barcelona tries to clear it, but Desailly + Albertini take it away, Albertini passes it to Desailly all alone in front of the GK, and he made a wonderful goal. For the next 20 minutes or so, we were just toying around with them, passing the ball, here and there. Finally I saw that play in which Savicevic was going to make a corner kick but decided to give it to the Barcelona defender :D, so arrogant, but so great. I think our only sub was someone who I never heard of in my life :tongue: for Maldini who got injured. Finally the game ended.

Receiving the trophy: I was all WTF!? when I saw it. I'm more used to the see the losers get their medals first, then the winners, and lastly the captain will raise the cup. It was the complete opposite Tassoti raised the cup, passing it to the other players, and then Barcelona players got their loser prize. That's without mentioning that ever since I remember players get their medals with their team shirt + pants...no in here our players were parading around in their undies (it was just one, who seemed very drunk), and shirtless or with the Barcelona shirt.

Sidenotes: Back in 1994, the TV rarely did close ups of the players (not even after they scored!). They prefer to do close ups of the coaches (ok, it was nice to see Cruyff's arrogant ass getting kicked). It was probably also an amazing event watching so many seats for the press cause right after our first goal they showed the press for about 30 seconds or more.

It was one of Berlusconi's top 5 days ever. There were little notes passing in the RAI transmission that said he got the trust of the congress, and Capello said that both Milan and Berlusconi had one their battles that day.

Chi non salta nerazzuro è! was sang in about 3/4 of the game. It seems Inter won one of least bigger european trophies that year, and they were probably parading it like it was the best thing ever (probably telling Milan fans "europa siamo noi!" thinking we didn't stood a chance against Barcelona), poor lossers we are always on top of them. :D.

The youtube links from where I saw the game (that dude that uploaded it has a lot of classics in his channel) part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6, part 7, part 8, part 9, part 10, receiving the trophy.

EDIT: LONGEST POST EVER!

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
^^amazing - thank you for that! the guy has an incredible number of full matches on his channel...im going to take a day off from work and jsut watch all of them now!!

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
^^amazing - thank you for that! the guy has an incredible number of full matches on his channel...im going to take a day off from work and jsut watch all of them now!!
What are the games posted?

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
crazy4milan said:
Yesterday for the first time in my life I saw the 90 minutes of the Milan-Barcelona CL final back in 1994.
That match was played on my 17th birthday, and I remember the day fondly. Prior to the match, Cruyff (Barcelona coach at the time) made the following comment: "The difference between Milan and us is that they have bought Desailly, and we have bought Romario. This will be on display for everyone tomorrow." Keep in mind, Barcelona had won 4 straight league titles, and believe it or not, Milan had not won in 6 consecutive Serie A games at this time. Milan were expected to defend and attack on the counter, while Stoichkov, Romario, and Beguiristáin would attack relentlessly. The odd thign about Cruyff's quote is that not only did Desailly contain Romario and company, but he also scored in the match. One of the more dominant displays in the European cup final according to history.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
The 1994 Final was the best i have ever seen. We completely destroyed them. Served that twit Cruyff right.

Forza Milan

vashil

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona,Nesta,Sheva,Pirlo, Gattuso,Crespo,Riquelme, Sneijder,Sergio Ramos,Beck,aguero
on the 4th of May 2008...Milan made inter watch them play.. Milan won the derby 2-1 thanks to inzaghi and kaka(the actual ballon d'or).

I at least hope that inter paid tickets in order for them to watch Milan play.

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
maybe this is not the best place to post this,but here it is..

It would be another bitter blow after Flamini penned a massively improved contract with Milan this week on a free transfer.

"I know the rules in this job, the guy is free, he can go to somebody who pays him more," continued an infuriated Wenger.

"But he said he wanted to stay. If you say, 'no I want to go somewhere' that is OK. But you cannot say, 'I want to stay, but I go.'

"This club here has a history of being built by people of values. I'm not sure that in the history of Milan you'll find the same values, even if you dig well."

Milan are expected to retaliate with a statement of their own, as they do not take kindly to comments on their part in the Calciopoli scandal.

The club has always maintained its innocence in that affair, even though they were docked eight points from last year’s Serie A standings and stripped of a spot in the Champions League – albeit qualifying via a preliminary round.

a part of the article from channel4.com..

what an asshole..i hope G responds as soon as possible to this crap just like he did to juventus,and it would be nice to see all their star players leave the club (of course,not to go to inter)..