Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I predicted Christmas, but the way things are looking right now, he may not even last that long :lol:

Godfather

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Last season we used to apply pressure to our opponents in their half and it worked well for us. This season we're letting them take the initiative and it's led us into this situation. Why change tactics? As soon as the opponent gets the ball we go into a 4-5-1 with all of our team behind the half line.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
this is ACTUALLY the grinta Montella
at least an identical situation

like what many predicted a long time ago

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
how is this draw gattuso's fault ffs? we can't finish sitters, make stupid individual mistakes and their goalie suddenly turn into superman.

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
how is this draw gattuso's fault ffs? we can't finish sitters, make stupid individual mistakes and their goalie suddenly turn into superman.

If players can finish sitters and not make "individual mistakes" and score against superman then at that point would we even need Gattuso as a coach?

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
Imagine your entire board of directors decided to come and watch your team play against a low-tier club like Empoli, and you have nothing to field except Borini as a CF. If the pressure wasn't on before, it most likely is now.

I really do think Gattuso has had a positive effect on the team and our play but I think he needs to introduce more dynamism in the team. At the moment the 4-3-3 is very predictable, our attack comes from the wings because we don't have the passing quality to cut through. The CF is either dropping to dictate play toward the wings, or picking up scraps from the attacks coming from the wing.

I can understand the principles of playing from the back, but you really need to build a team that has the swagger and confidence to pull that off. Just don't think we have that.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
All will be good, no worries. Just a minor setback.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Individual errors have cost the team, thats not on Gattuso. Wot is on him is the team selection and general strategy... poor selection, play has no rhythm, no on-field cohesion even the sub choices and timings are awful.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
Don't tell me Milan got another bum coach? Smh come on Gattusso.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Individual errors have cost the team, thats not on Gattuso. Wot is on him is the team selection and general strategy... poor selection, play has no rhythm, no on-field cohesion even the sub choices and timings are awful.

He's not entirely responsible for the individual errors because he has no total control over the players on the pitch. He is 100% responsible for his failfish macro management though. If not him then IDK who is.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Suso: "It is true that we are a young team, but we must grow as fast as possible. Gattuso has no responsibility, however, these things depend on us. We need to be more careful and focused, without being afraid."
Suso to Sky: "I agree with Mister Gattuso. We have the play style of a big team, but not the mentality. We have to be able to take care of a lead and be more of a unit on the pitch, in that sense. It's only a matter of time and a bit of fortune."
Forza Rino

Just shows how close the team is to Mister

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
We need to score 2 or 3 before we shut up shop, and we can’t expect to keep the door closed for 45 minutes...

Inzaghi also used to have us try & just defend after going 1 - 0 up, even if we scored in the 5th minute, it never worked then & he tried it a whole season, please Rino, hope we are not going down that road again... also that makes for boring football...

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Imagine your entire board of directors decided to come and watch your team play against a low-tier club like Empoli, and you have nothing to field except Borini as a CF.

doesn't that mean pressure is actually upon them?

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We need to score 2 or 3 before we shut up shop, and we can’t expect to keep the door closed for 45 minutes...

Inzaghi also used to have us try & just defend after going 1 - 0 up, even if we scored in the 5th minute, it never worked then & he tried it a whole season, please Rino, hope we are not going down that road again... also that makes for boring football...

:thumbsup: we are trying to get the second goal though and creating at least 4-5 good chances per game. we're just not clinical enough which in turn makes us tired and then we concede. all the games this season, we were better than opponents for at least for 60-70% of game. hakan, suso, kessie, samu needs to find their shooting boots or else we will struggle to maintain our lead.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
90% of our games this season:
- play very well and dominate first half, but somehow we don't capitalize on this domination and get only a small lead
- the opponent adjusts in 2nd half and we struggle for 25 mins, sometimes even crumbling
- the opponent scores and has the upper hand
- we/Rino adjusts and we end up dominating the last 20-30 mins, but are unlucky or not clinical enough

Why this is isn't so bad and I'm still behind Rino? Because we have showed that we can play really well. We just need:
1. To be more clinical and not waste so many chances. Even if you have a 3-0 lead, you still can't throw away good chances, because anything can happen.
2. Need to improve our depth, because the subs still suck. I think we should have invested Castillejo + Bakayoko money in a better midfielder, because we have Bona who can also play as winger and we have the necessary players to switch to a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 formation. But, we really lack an additional good midfielder. If one of Bona, Biglia or Kessie are injured or in bad form - we are pretty much fucked.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
sarri won nothing because:
- he is shit coach
- he didnt have players good enough
?

no matter who is coaching acm if we need to play 2 games per week with
hakan, suso, bona as our creative department with subs in samuel+bako+borini (mauri+ berto :lol::lol: players without any value as rotation for biglia and kessie)

ps. conte was winning easy in serieA when there was no capable teams to fight back, today serieA looks different (strong juve, okeish napoli, lazio, roma and inter able to win easily many games if coaches not failing with squad). so conte and this squad = nobody knows.
sure experienced coach is usually better than one without experince.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
ps. conte was winning easy in serieA when there was no capable teams to fight back, today serieA looks different (strong juve, okeish napoli, lazio, roma and inter able to win easily many games if coaches not failing with squad). so conte and this squad = nobody knows.

conte fans are too young to remember this

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
his insistence on starting musacchio has turned me against him

romangoli being off form doesn't help at all, but at least he had a solid partnership with zapata.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
why can't he just swap Bona and Hakan positions if he insists of playing Hakan instead of samu, i mean Bona is more dangerous near the post and better dribbler, Hakan is a better defensively and has a better vision for crosses and keeping the ball.

i think the left side would be as twice as better defensively and offensively with this simple change.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i mean Bona is more dangerous near the post and better dribbler

Bona is dangerous when he's out of the radar and can make late runs into the box, and his pace-less dribbling skills is more suitable for the tight situations CMs get into in the crowded middle. Hakan is more explosive and fires off shots quicker and better(from distance).

Hakan is a better defensively

Hakan has more grinta, but Bona show more positional sense.

i think the left side would be as twice as better defensively and offensively with this simple change.

Yeah well those are not the effects it had the last times it was tried, and is unlikely to ever have.

Bona at LW gets you an even more lethargic attack.
Hakan at LCM failed to make an impact when it was not EL farmers that allowed him to be a LCM only on paper.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
why can't he just swap Bona and Hakan positions if he insists of playing Hakan instead of samu, i mean Bona is more dangerous near the post and better dribbler, Hakan is a better defensively and has a better vision for crosses and keeping the ball.

go play Fifa

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Bona is dangerous when he's out of the radar and can make late runs into the box, and his pace-less dribbling skills is more suitable for the tight situations CMs get into in the crowded middle. Hakan is more explosive and fires off shots quicker and better(from distance).
both of them don't have pace, and i do believe having the dribbling skill is more dangerous for you in the opponent half than yours , not to mention less risky as if you lose the ball you won't be risking a goal against you, look at Suso for example, doesn' have pace but still our most dangerous player, also Bona can head better, and have the striker instinct in him and doesn't afraid to go inside the box, Hakan in the other hand is afraid to go inside the box area, and rarely shoot on goal.

you need grinta in the midfield, and positional sense is something you gain by experience not by birth so he can work on that, not to mention he used to be in the midfield on his old days so it is not like it is new position for him.

Yeah well those are not the effects it had the last times it was tried, and is unlikely to ever have.

Hakan at LCM failed to make an impact when it was not EL farmers that allowed him to be a LCM only on paper.

well i can't recall when it was tried, but you don't give up on the idea by using it once or twice and it didn't succeed, this year hakan did 1 assist(if you can call it an assist in Samu Goal) in 5 games, his offensive existence is near zero, while bona has 2 goals and 1 assist playing from the middle, if hakan can't adapt to the midfield i would say he should be benched as he for sure not doing good job as LW

Ronin, go Suck a Lemon.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score

Playing Bonaventura as a winger is the worst thing that can happen to a football team.

Equal with starting Donnarumma as your GK.

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score

Playing Bonaventura as a winger is the worst thing that can happen to a football team.

I think it would be better to train Hakan on how to move as a midfielder as well, especially now that we have a more dynamic winger in Samu. I think Hakan would be a beautiful mezzala. He wasn't good at it his first season, but he had Montella training him. With some training on how to limit spaces he could do it.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
We definitely need more of Patrick-Higsy upfront. The 2 of them together is too much to handle for any defense, they'll just wreak havoc

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A victory, yes.

But still plenty of work to be done.