Roberto Baggio Thread

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
So is Maldini not one of the greatest of all time, because he played with one club in one league his whole career? Obviously the former Milan captain is one of the greatest!

So i think this talk of Messi can't be considered one of the greatest, because he has only played for Barca, is completely preposterous.

no that wasnt really the argument, he was just stating a element that boosts Baggio's case.

and the Maldini comparison is not a good one, Maldini was great for his whole career with a completely different cast of characters throughout. We will see how Messi does when he doesnt have 2 of the best midfielders in the world feeding him the ball. Actually, we have seen that with his time with the NT, where he is good, but not that close to the level he is with his club

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
Messi is good but not the greatest ever, I have seen quite a few good players but he is not better.

And I also haven't watched Barca against week teams.

Messi has the next 4-5 years to reach that level, but if he stays where he is now for me he won't be the best ever at all.

Last edited:

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
no that wasnt really the argument, he was just stating a element that boosts Baggio's case.

and the Maldini comparison is not a good one, Maldini was great for his whole career with a completely different cast of characters throughout. We will see how Messi does when he doesnt have 2 of the best midfielders in the world feeding him the ball. Actually, we have seen that with his time with the NT, where he is good, but not that close to the level he is with his club

Yeah, it was more just a point to people in general, who keep saying he can't be one of the greatest of all time if he plays with one club.

I'm not at all trying to belittle Paolo, just making the point he played for one club too. In terms of characters changing. He played really well with Ronaldinho, Eto, and Giuly, he now plays really well with Villa, Pedro and Snachez. Of course Xavi and Iniesta are fantastic too, it obviuosly helps. However Paolo had great defenders playing with him too.

I just get the feeling some people don't want him to become one of the greatest of all time, and have already made their mind up, no matter what he does or achieves throughout the rest of his career.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
Happy birthday roby.. to you and to me :)

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Great read, thanks Jasper!

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Thanks Jasper.
Upon retirement he stated that if he were to play only
when he didn’t feel pain, he would have stepped on
the pitch “only two or three times a year” .
Wowwwww :proud: :proud: :proud:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

That's just the harsh truth about pro sports. Some guys make it very black and white when they talk about injuries. 'He shouldn't have played, the doc said he can't play' - but the realness is what Zlatan wrote in his book. It's always a risk and a gamble between the loss and gains. Doctors always tell you to stay away with a guaranteed time so noone takes them by the word.

I mean they once told me to not to do any sport for a month because I broke my fingerbone. Obvously I was playing tennis the next day using only one hand. Pro-sport is somewhat same but the risks and gains are just multiplied with 1000.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
Happy birthday Roby :)

BaggioCina2cuore.jpg

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
happy birthday, dark night :o

---

Whoaa, Baggio... feels like such a long time ago. What a player he was. Dat 1994 WC form.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
happy birthday, dark night :o

---

Whoaa, Baggio... feels like such a long time ago. What a player he was. Dat 1994 WC form.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Italy legend Roberto Baggio claims Ricardo Centurion is the closest thing to his heir and that the “bitterness” of his penalty miss in 1994 will never pass.
Speaking to Corriere della Sera about his football career, Baggio also discussed the differences between the past and present and his position of a ‘9.5’, while revealing his toughest opponent and the forward he most wanted to partner.
“My heir? I watch a lot of South American football and, as a fan of Boca Juniors, I really like Centurion, but he has to improve his behaviour off the pitch,” he began.
“Comparisons? I think that today, I’d have been able to play for a few more years. And it wouldn’t be just me.
“In my time, you’d wait for a kick and only after that did you think about how to win the ball back. Today, you sometimes risk a red card with your first foul.
“It was a time when you’d get a kick and you wouldn’t even know who had kicked you. It was a time of man-hunting.
“Parma? I didn’t want Parma because Ancelotti didn’t know where to play me in his 4-4-2, but the important thing is that he then regretted it!
“In today’s football, I’d be the second striker in a 4-3-1-2, next to a targetman. Platini gave me the perfect definition: I was a ‘9.5’.
“Zola? He had to go to England to find a place. How much would I cost today? I have no idea… [before a suggestion made by someone else of $150m].
“Maldini? He’s the best defender I played against. When you faced him, you knew you wouldn’t pass him.
“He was big and strong with his head and feet... You’d have to put together 15 players to make another one like him.
“Van Basten? I’d have liked to play with him. He’s the player that I exchanged shirts with most willingly.
“My penalty miss in the 1994 World Cup Final? I’ve thought about it, but the bitterness remains, even after all this time.
“It hasn’t diminished and I don’t think it’ll ever pass. I’d like to go back to those years, apart from the Final.
“The path we took was full of meaning, for the fatigue and difficulties we suffered, and the character and determination with which we came out.
“I never thought that people would ever want to step into the shoes we wore back then.
“It means that you’ve left something beautiful and profound behind, although it was the 1990 World Cup in which I felt I could do anything.”

http://app.football-italia.net/?ref...t#article/footballitalia-106237&menu=news-all

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
DneoIg_XgAAMjG7

Happy belated birthday to the divine ponytail!

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
A movie on Roberto Baggio, to soon debut on Netflix

'Il divin codino' should be ready in 2020 and will cover in detail the 22 seasons of the former footballer's reign

The film should be ready in 2020, "but we are in no hurry - said the CEO and founder of Netflix, Reed Hastings - the important thing is that it come out well".

https://www.nssmag.com/en/sports/19727/movie-roberto-baggio-netflix

Can't wait. Shall be a must-see movie. :thumbsup:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Actually sounds very interesting. Wonder when Netflix make an AC Milan comedy series titled The Banter Era. Or will they wait until it's finished since we're currently on series 8?

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Actually sounds very interesting. Wonder when Netflix make an AC Milan comedy series titled The Banter Era. Or will they wait until it's finished since we're currently on series 8?

Release delayed due to "dcfcfan getting laid" episode taking too long.