The Final: Italy vs France

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
DugiNesta said:
Zambrotta: For Pessotto

Italy star Gianluca Zambrotta dedicated the World Cup victory to Gianluca Zambrotta after his side defeated France on penalties to win the tournament on Sunday night.

He dedicated the world cup win to himself? LOL :D

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
menon_inc said:
He dedicated the world cup win to himself? LOL :D

Oh my god :D hahahahaha. It must been mistake from goal.com

Last edited:

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
Milanista said:
congratulations. please use the money and buy a new azzurri jersey with 4 stars :D :star: :star: :star: :star:

Definitely. When comes the new jersey out?

Btw, I saw the azzurri celebrating in a jersey where stand campioni del mondo and a 4. Does anyone know if this jersey is available????????

FORZA ITALIA :star: :star: :star: :star:

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
Rosanna03 said:
Definitely. When comes the new jersey out?

Btw, I saw the azzurri celebrating in a jersey where stand campioni del mondo and a 4. Does anyone know if this jersey is available????????

FORZA ITALIA :star: :star: :star: :star:

not so fast. maybe about 3 or 4 months , i guess

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
it's the same jersey worn durin' the WC campaign... only with the words "campioni del mondo" & ":star: :star: 4 :star: :star:" printed on the front...

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
French-Italian translation

The French openly admit Italy taught them how to win and now the Azzurri are back to reclaim what they believe is rightfully theirs.

First, a quick lesson in modern football history. In 1986, in the last 16 of the World Cup finals in Mexico, Michel Platini’s France defeated Italy 2-0.

Platini, who scored in that match, was playing for Juventus at the time, a club he guided to European Cup glory against Liverpool a year earlier, when Italy’s Serie A was starting to flourish. The mid to late 1980s proved to be a golden era for Italian football, which was boosted by the arrival of many superstar foreigners.

The likes of Platini and Zbigniew Boniek were soon followed by Diego Maradona, Careca, Alemao, Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard, Marco van Basten, Jurgen Klinsmann, Lothar Matthaus and Andreas Brehme.

In other words, with many of the world’s best players in one league it created a dynamic learning environment incorporating various styles that gave foreigners an insight into the secrets behind Italy’s World Cup success.

By the time Platini and Juventus conquered all that Italy, Europe and the world club scene had to offer, the Azzurri already had three world titles to their name.

Then, at the World Cup in 1990, a red hot Italy failed on home soil against Maradona and company at the semi-final stage, while Brehme scored the winning penalty to beat Argentina in the final in a West German side that included Matthaus and Klinsmann.

Again, the Italians, rather arrogantly, claimed some credit for helping Germany in the art of winning. ‘They’ (i.e. those in the Italian press and many well known figures in the game) suggested Inter Milan’s trio of Klinsmann, Matthaus and Brehme learnt how to combine their individual strengths with the shrewdness of results-driven tactics in high pressure situations, something synonymous with Italian football.

Make of that what you will. The Italians may be clutching at straws, but a similar theory was resurrected many years later when France took out the 1998 World Cup. In that tournament, Italy lost to Les Bleus in their quarter-final showdown, albeit after a scoreless draw and a penalty shoot-out.

The French squad, assembled under the guidance of Aime Jacquet, possessed a much greater ‘Italian’ influence than what Platini brought to the national team back in 1986. No less than seven of the 22 players were based in Italy’s top flight, including the backbone of Jacquet’s starting eleven: captain Didier Deschamps, Zinedine Zidane, Youri Djorkaeff, Lilian Thuram and Marcel Desailly.

Zidane and Deschamps, incidentally, helped Juventus return to the top of the European game, beating Ajax Amsterdam in the UEFA Champions League final eleven years after Platini had left his indelible mark on the Turin giant.

Italy’s current national coach Marcello Lippi was in charge of that highly successful Juventus side, building a resume which effectively propelled him into the country’s top job all these years later.

Once the French class of ’98 returned to the Serie A to complete a Masters Degree in ‘Winning Football’ that saw it go on to claim a rare double with victory at Euro 2000, the Italians were convinced they had been well and truly beaten at their own game.

I even discussed this issue with Jacquet, who acknowledges part of his team’s World Cup success may have derived from the maturity of those key players who benefited from living in the cut-throat world of Italian football.

Perhaps Italy’s most painful defeat suffered at the hands of France was in the final of Euro 2000 when Marco Delvecchio struck first, only for Sylvain Wiltord to equalise in the dying seconds. David Trezeguet scored the golden goal winner in extra time.

Apart from the change of coach, with Jacquet having made way for Roger Lemerre, this French side had many things in common with 1998. It still functioned around Zidane, the architect of all things great, and while some players may have moved on to leagues in other countries, nothing changes their education base or where they came from.

From Platini to Zidane, the French have been taught by their Italian masters who now sense it is time to put things right again, as it was in the beginning when Italy defeated France in the 1938 and 1978 World Cups.

In fact, Italy was almost unbeatable in matches between these great rivals, winning 16 of the 25 clashes, losing just three times before ‘78. After that, France suddenly took control with six wins from seven attempts, if you include the penalty shoot-out in ’98.

All this may look like just numbers, facts and figures to some, but they amount to much more, fuelling Italy’s burning desire to get even.

Italian captain Fabio Cannavaro is more than aware of how history turned against his country in recent times. He experienced the heartbreak of those defeats in ’98 and 2000 first hand. He says revenge is a factor when they meet in the 18th World Cup final, in Berlin, a match in which Cannavaro makes his 100th international appearance.

On the other side, Zidane takes his final bow before retirement, hoping to inspire yet another win over Italy, ably assisted by a new cast of heroes who transformed this team from potential flops to peak performers.

Something about that trend sounds very Italian as well. Knowing how to pace yourself, growing and improving as the tournament progresses is another quality of Azzurri teams, past and present. It was definitely the case in 1982 when they collected the last of their three world crowns.

USA ’94, where Italy last reached the final on the back of Roberto Baggio’s individual brilliance, also produced a team that misfired in the group stage before storming home to the brink of glory, only to lose against Brazil on penalties.

Indeed, the French might have more in common with Italian football than they think having also adopted the slow start approach, which failed them badly in 2002.

However, as prepared as France may be, Lippi’s men are in simply outstanding form both mentally and physically. It seems no team can beat - or score against - Italy at this World Cup other than Italy itself.

Defender Cristian Zaccardo’s own goal in the lacklustre 1-1 draw with the USA is a classic example of how Italy loses concentration and tends to become a little complacent if, by its lofty standards, the occasion offers no real challenge.

There are six French survivors from ’98: Zidane, Barthez, Vieira, Henry, Thuram and Trezeguet have done it all before, but Italy seems a fraction more determined this time. It means the French are in for a long evening in Berlin.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/worldcup/index.php?pid=blogs&cid=139

great article by Andrew Orsatti...

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Forward thinkin'

Italy started and finished its World Cup semi-final on the front foot, beating a German side that got what it deserved in Dortmund.

The Azzurri can defend all day long and they now seem an unstoppable force since placing the same emphasis on attack. At various stages during the first half and extra time, you just wondered how Germany stayed in touch.

In fact, the host nation only looked dangerous when Italy lost concentration or turned over possession of the ball. Andrea Pirlo, in particular, was caught several times through his own sluggishness in dangerous central areas.

The distribution from midfield was a feature early on as Francesco Totti looked to exploit the space behind the German back four. Simone Perrotta was very successful in this regard, getting forward at every opportunity.

Fabio Grosso confirmed his arrival on the world stage with a competent display at left-back, eager to attack and quick to recover, not to mention supremely confident inside the opposition’s penalty area.

Grosso’s clinical finish was a sight to behold, as was Gianluca Zambrotta’s display in the quarter-final win over Ukraine. Both full-backs play pivotal roles in giving Italy total mobility, and now both defenders have scored in crucial matches.

Who says Italy’s primary focus is to defend? There is a major difference between knowing how to defend and being defensive.

Marcello Lippi’s tactics are adaptable and his conduct against Germany indicates he sees no reason to sit back.

Apart from Fabio Cannavaro, Marco Materazzi and Gennaro Gattuso, everyone contributes in a true attacking sense, and they do so with calm precision. Their predatory instincts strike fear in to any opponent.

Admittedly, Luca Toni started as the lone striker with support from Totti and Mauro Camoranesi, which is slightly removed from Lippi’s preference to play two, sometimes three strikers over the past two years.

But, what we are seeing from Italy now is no different to what France is trying to achieve with Thierry Henry leading the line, or Portugal which utilises Pauleta up front.

Portugal relies heavily on attacking midfielders like Deco, Cristiano Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Maniche to come from deep. France likewise, with Frank Ribery, Florent Malouda and Zinedine Zidane all loitering with intent.

However, France and Portugal are not being labelled defensive. Why? Is it because they have a tradition of attacking football?

As for Brazil effectively utilising Ronaldo as the only recognised striker in the quarter-final loss to France, and England’s pathetic attempt to copy everyone else by leaving Wayne Rooney in attack, need I say more?

There is a tendency to criticise Italians for slipping back in to their old ways of ‘catenaccio’. Are you one of those people? Be careful not to confuse basic, ill-informed, stereotypical conclusions with modern-day realities.

Simply put, Italy is the complete package. Led on the park by Cannavaro, a player in his prime, while off the pitch, Lippi adds his own touch to lift the overall performance when required.

In this case, Toni, Perrotta and Camoranesi went off to make way for another three attacking players: Alberto Gilardino, Vincenzo Iaquinta and Alessandro Del Piero.

All three players injected fresh belief against a tiring German defence, which was feeling the effects from its extra-time arm wrestle with Argentina.

Germany was nothing more than a spectator at times as Pirlo and Totti pushed and probed for the slightest opening.

Just when it seemed the match was heading for a penalty shoot-out, Gilardino and Zambrotta both struck the frame of Jens Lehmann’s goal. Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski also went close for Germany.

Lippi’s best move was saved until last, substituting the hard working Perrotta just before the second period of extra-time. On came Del Piero, the scorer of Italy’s second goal.

By refusing the temptation to bring on a cautious and less adventurous midfielder like Simone Barone, Lippi achieved two objectives: he boosted his attacking options, while adding Del Piero’s experience and expertise in the event of penalties.

As it turned out, the original formula came up trumps, with Man of the Match Pirlo’s perfectly weighted pass and superb strike from Grosso breaking the deadlock with only 90 seconds remaining.

Then, the new boys took centre stage as Gilardino, in Pirlo-esque fashion, slipped a neat reverse ball for Del Piero to sweep home in a manner that almost excuses the Juventus star for years of crucial near misses in other major tournaments.

Italy has been built on a bed rock of defensive solidity having conceded just one goal in six matches, but in 2006, the three-time world champion recognises its strengths are well spread throughout the team.

The mere fact that Lippi used most of his strikers off the bench while keeping a deadly finisher like Filippo Inzaghi in reserve shows how serious he is about going forward.

He selected a squad with various attacking alternatives and, with every match, you feel as though Lippi has found both the right balance and ways to change the tempo depending on what each situation requires.

After all, what else is there left for him to think about when Italy’s defensive organisation is almost perfect.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/worldcup/index.php?pid=blogs&cid=139

another brilliant article from Andrew Orsatti... especially this comment... "Who says Italy’s primary focus is to defend? There is a major difference between knowing how to defend and being defensive."

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Lippi has quit. Sigh.

Source : Channel4.com

Lippi quits Italian job

Marcello Lippi has resigned as Italy Coach just days after winning the World Cup, the Italian Football Federation have confirmed.

Lippi was expected to reject the FIGC’s proposal of a new two-year deal and has today officially stepped down as boss.

“At the end of an extraordinary professional and human experience, at the helm of an exceptional group of players and with a staff of the highest quality, I consider my role as Coach of the Italian national side to have come to an end,” said Lippi in a statement.

“I’ve communicated my desire to leave my post to the Italian Football Federation at the natural conclusion of my contract.

“I thank the Federation for the faith shown in me over these two years of work which have culminated in a result that will live on in history and in the hearts of all Italian fans.”

The former Juventus maestro was handed the job two years ago when he replaced Giovanni Trapattoni in the Azzurri hotseat after a disastrous Euro 2004.

During that time, he has rejuvenated the side on the international stage and successfully led them to the World Cup on Sunday.

Lippis is believed to have already decided to quit before the Germany 2006 campaign kicked-off. It’s unclear what his future now holds even if he admitted recently that he aims to keep coaching.

During his 29 games in charge, Lippi won 18 [including the penalty win over France], drew nine and lost just twice – a 2-0 on his debut against Iceland and a 1-0 in Slovenia which both occurred in 2004.

So who next for Italy? At this stage of the proceedings there seem to be four leading candidates for the now vacant role.

Roberto Donadoni, sacked by Livorno last term, is an early favourite even if Alberto Zaccheroni, Under-21 boss Claudio Gentile and Gianluca Vialli are also options.

I think the FIGC will try to rope in Carletto. Lets see. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Italian Tsar said:
I think the FIGC will try to rope in Carletto. Lets see. :rolleyes:

Well Lippi did a great job. Erm Carletto could be the next in line if Milan goes down....otherwise i guess they will have to line-up other options.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
if Ancelotti takes over from Lippi... i hope Lippi joins Milan... that way... Buffon & Zambrotta could just find themselves in a Milan jersey...

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
zZ[-_-]Zz said:
if Ancelotti takes over from Lippi... i hope Lippi joins Milan... that way... Buffon & Zambrotta could just find themselves in a Milan jersey...

that would be great :D

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
zZ[-_-]Zz said:

LOL :D Never thought of that.......:D

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
zZ[-_- said:
Zz]if Ancelotti takes over from Lippi... i hope Lippi joins Milan... that way... Buffon & Zambrotta could just find themselves in a Milan jersey...

That would be cracking :D

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
hey hey hey , what about cannavaro ? he be lonely at juventus. bring cannavaro to milan too !!!

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Milanista said:
hey hey hey , what about cannavaro ? he be lonely at juventus. bring cannavaro to milan too !!!

LOL :D I can only wonder how the juve fans would react if 3-4 of their best players+ ex coach join milan...hehe...but lets hope we are safe first...:)

Milanista

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
03 , 08
menon_inc said:
LOL :D I can only wonder how the juve fans would react if 3-4 of their best players+ ex coach join milan...hehe...but lets hope we are safe first...:)

maybe the juve fans become milan fans ? :D

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
Lippi did great job :star: I want him to stay with azzuri and in euro 2008.

And i wish him good luck and hope one day he'll be our coach.

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
Milanista said:

Yes, don't forget Canna.

So let us save Buffon, Canna & Zambrotta.

I think after this world cup they deserve to play in the best team of the world.

dida

>>*&#322;)*I*&#322;)*@*<<
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*Dida* *Maldini* *Nesta* *Gattuso*
i think we can only get buffon,it looks like the other two are going to real m

ricky

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Gattuso, MvB, Ronaldinho, Henry, Maradona
Can anyone find video, when players sing their national anthems?

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Nesta
ricky said:
Can anyone find video, when players sing their national anthems?
Was it just me, or did the Italians sing with a lot more gusto than the French? Must've been a sign! :D

Medeea

Primavera
Reaction score
Italy's national anthem is very, very beautiful. I usually listen to it and I might say it gives you a lot of energy.
I think that this final had one of the 2 coutries with the most beautiful national anthems.

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Nesta
Medeea said:
Italy's national anthem is very, very beautiful. I usually listen to it and I might say it gives you a lot of energy.
I think that this final had one of the 2 coutries with the most beautiful national anthems.
Agreed ;)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Hey anyone watch the Formula One today? The French National Anthem didn't even get played ... it was like rubbing salt in the wounds :D

Especially when Micheal waved the Italian flag ... I couldn't stop laughing ... no disrespect to the French bfore i get bashed :)

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
madtherchot said:
Hey anyone watch the Formula One today? The French National Anthem didn't even get played ... it was like rubbing salt in the wounds :D

Especially when Micheal waved the Italian flag ... I couldn't stop laughing ... no disrespect to the French bfore i get bashed :)

I only watched the end and enjoyed the german-italian national anthem. :)

But seems like the french people are ashamed of their national anthem. :D