Paolo Maldini Thread

Rino_Gattuso

Primavera
Reaction score
Yeah that would be cool if we won the CL Final and the great PAOLO MALDINI lifted the CL cup for the great MILAN.The other question is when he does retire who would we get to replace him Jankulovski i guess??If Paolo retired at the end of this 2004/2005 season i hope our defence looks like this for next season.

CAFU----NESTA----STAM----JANKULOVSKI :D

Reaction score
He has a contract until 2006 but I think during the acmilan.com chat he said he would like to play for two more years so I'm not sure if this would be his last season, I don't think so.

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
yeah, I highly doubt Maldini has plans to retire this year.

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
Age is but a state of mind...Paolo has another 20 YEARS!!! :)

Reaction score
i think paolo has 2 more years at highest level .....
he is not any other player .......
there is no one like him ....
never .....
ever ......
there is only one paolo and he is ( thank you god ) with us .....

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Age is just a number, i do hope that crazely he returns to the Azzurri and wins the WC and hopefully play on and win the Euro aswell :D aslong as many other trophies for Milan

Maldini is no way near finishing yet he has a good 3 years at the Minimum :D

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
Rino_Gattuso said:
Yeah that would be cool if we won the CL Final and the great PAOLO MALDINI lifted the CL cup for the great MILAN.The other question is when he does retire who would we get to replace him Jankulovski i guess??If Paolo retired at the end of this 2004/2005 season i hope our defence looks like this for next season.

CAFU----NESTA----STAM----JANKULOVSKI :D

What in the hell is Cafu doing on the left???

ics_rk

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Sheva, Maldini, Baresi, Nesta, van der Vaart, Torres, Reyes, Pirlo, Gattuso, Pato
I think next season or maybe 2 more season.. He is great and I don't think that he will retire soon.. Remember, Costacurta is already 39 and he is still playing..

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
Maldini will play for Milan till 2008, so it's a bit early to talk about his retirement. The End!

Reaction score
r3dman said:
Maldini will play for Milan till 2008, so it's a bit early to talk about his retirement. The End!

Well!! it's not early for me, since I have to save money to be in that match! How could I live knowing that I didn't see the great capitano in his final match?!?

GeronimoFinch

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso
I can certainly see him playing until he's forty. But lets just hope he goes out in a blaze of glory. It was a sad end to Baresi's career.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
San Paolo said:
Age is just a number, i do hope that crazely he returns to the Azzurri and wins the WC and hopefully play on and win the Euro aswell :D aslong as many other trophies for Milan

:eek: Indeed you have a crazy hope!!!!!!!(specially with the Euro thing) :D, but we are all allowed to dream, so don't worry.
It would be cool to see him winning something with NT, but if we want him for a longer period, then it's better he doesn't play.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'd generously grant him another season but then it'll be time.. HIGH time.. to retire, unless he contents himself with the role Costacurta plays right now, emergency sub, + an equally modest salary. Don't see the latter happen, thus I'd rather have him off the payroll.

GeronimoFinch

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso
Not a bit keen on Paolo retiring. Would love to see him play on into his forties.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
logan said:
why in the hell ppl here are so keen abt Paolo's retirement?
He's getting older I thought. Sooner or later experience can't compensate an aging body anymore. Better get used to the fact, he will play forever + be a regular starter at 40 ONLY IN YOUR DREAMS. And don't you think he actually DESERVES a life beyond football ?

cuore

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Capitano
Passion for *9* said:
I'd generously grant him another season but then it'll be time.. HIGH time.. to retire,

passion, your words are like knives to the heart...

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Passion for *9* said:
I'd generously grant him another season but then it'll be time.. HIGH time.. to retire, unless he contents himself with the role Costacurta plays right now, emergency sub, + an equally modest salary. Don't see the latter happen, thus I'd rather have him off the payroll.

Yep, I'm always afraid that if one day he just "lose" his game, then he'll end up being a Costacurta or a Fernando Hierro, or many other players that should have retired when they still were at the best of their carreer.
I know Maldini isn't like those players, but if I was him, I would retire by the end of next season, and trust me, this isn't easy for me to say, he might be my #1 reason for watching football + he is my favorite all-time player.
But let's face it, this are the last seasons we'll see of him, in the time, let's just enjoy them!

logan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
He's getting older I thought. Sooner or later experience can't compensate an aging body anymore. Better get used to the fact, he will play forever + be a regular starter at 40 ONLY IN YOUR DREAMS. And don't you think he actually DESERVES a life beyond football ?
But to see Paolo retire ll leave me in tears...
I cannt even imagine what it would be like without him.
Just hope he ll quit on top. But still i think it's toooooooooooooooooooo early to think abt that.

takahan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with Passion,
I will feel happy for Maldini if he retired now.
I would hate to see legendary players like him sitting on the bench just because he is too old.
Is better to retire at a time when you are at your peak and be remembered, rather as retire as an old forgetten bench player.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
logan said:
Just hope he ll quit on top. But still i think it's toooooooooooooooooooo early to think abt that.
Well, he is under no obligation to please you with his decisions ;) The kind of attachment people seem to develop for a football player is honestly beyond me. If Pippo has to quit I certainly won't cry around. It's life + football is supposed to be an entertaining part of it. Save the tears for the serious shit.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
cuore said:
passion, your words are like knives to the heart...
Take it like a man, cuore :D

Would you want to see him making blunders over blunders cos age has caught up with him ? I'm not so masochistically inclined, sorry... A player has to realize when the time is right to hang up his boots + I'm sure Maldini doesn't need my advice + he will do what is right for him at the right time ;)

S

superman_1899

i think maldini will atleast play for another good 3 to 4 years (im being very practical here considering the fact im a huge maldini fan, ask menon?)

and the main reason why he is still going strong is because of his level of awarness + unmatchable experience

Reaction score
logan said:
why in the hell ppl here are so keen abt Paolo's retirement?

It's not keen... I'm just waiting to see that final match, it will be great, no matter if is next season or the next to that. Paolo deserves to have a life beyond football and just as he did with the azzurri, he'll know the exact time when it's right to retire from Milan.

And it's not that we're being attached to a player in particular but he's so great that it'll be a shame when he doesn't play anymore, the same that happened with other great players that we would love to see them still playing. And I think you're being as keen as us with this ;)

Why does you guys bother so much that we talk about it? maybe no one will remember Paolo 200 years from now, but we'll do as soon as we live because he gave a lot to the team. He's been a great and true leader.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
logan said:

I cant see a Milan team without Paolo in it

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
crazy4milan said:
:eek: Indeed you have a crazy hope!!!!!!!(specially with the Euro thing) :D, but we are all allowed to dream, so don't worry.
It would be cool to see him winning something with NT, but if we want him for a longer period, then it's better he doesn't play.

Indeed his international retirement has brought us great successes over the past 2 seasons... he had the opportunity to conentrate on Milan where is heart lies... its just disappointing to see him not win a trophy at international level he got so close on many occassions just to fall short, well i guess thats football

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:

When Paolo decides to retire thats when he will contemplate life after football

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
takahan said:
I agree with Passion,
I will feel happy for Maldini if he retired now.
I would hate to see legendary players like him sitting on the bench just because he is too old.
Is better to retire at a time when you are at your peak and be remembered, rather as retire as an old forgetten bench player.

True but that doesnt matter, anyone who has witnessed Paolo play knows he is a Legend no matter what. His professionalism and passion for the game has made him a true embassidor of the world game. It shouldnt be about retiring when your on top. Everytime a player graces the field they feel a great desire to continue on playing. When they decide their body cant take it or they lose passion then they will choose to retire, for Paolo he is one of a kind... never seen a player that can play at that level for 20+ seasons

Last edited: