Ronaldo OR Van Basten

Who was a better striker

• Ronaldo

Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Marco Van Basten

Votes: 76 59.8%
  • They were both equally good since Marco wasn't that fast and Ronaldo couldn't head a beach ball

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
That's because you're a Ronaldo groupie. ;)

I think Dru will most gladly tell you I'm a hater of Ronaldo (not really, not a groupie either more on mood swings on him, probably cause I do believe he could've done more if he wanted to...but then maybe it was the stereoids given in Holland that screwed things up...), but it is in NO WAY comparable to Baresi and Roque Junior.

It's actually a taste thing, cause there's no right or wrong answers (there could be some fucked up arguments, but that's another thing). Trust the guys that saw both of them, as for me I only truely saw Ronaldo live (and in his prime too, think prior to WC 98 final) and I can really say he was amazing, should've been top 3, injuries and (for me) himself prevented, but he could easily still be among top 25 (I'm just making up a number, I haven't really put thought on the best 25 players ever). Can't make a comparisson with Van Basten as it would be unfair to Van Basten, since I never truely saw him play (read amazing things, he probably is also top 25 best players ever :D), HGs don't show everything he did or didn't do.

BTW, Farouk weren't you a Ronaldo lover? When did the fall out happened?

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ronaldo was the best striker I've seen in my lifetime, somewhat of a combination between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - he was that good. Van Basten, on the other hand, retired at the peak of his career and although Ronaldo did struggle with injuries throughout, it makes you wonder how good the Dutchman would've been had he not played his final professional game aged 28.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
When MVB's era arose he immediately prove that he is the best and favorite striker in the world without any doubts; but after his injury, I been anger and sad as we lost a skillful and talent striker.

When R9's era arose I have been shocked with streamlines paces and magically skills & tricks that have been invented them and let most if not all the stars tried and copied them.

I witnessed both players era, and in summery; R9 > MVB with every aspects but that not drop down the MVB performance and strikes.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
aren't you like 18?

preinjuries ronaldo.... so you have a memory of him as a 6/7 year old?

calling bullshit

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ronaldo was the best striker I've seen in my lifetime, somewhat of a combination between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - he was that good. Van Basten, on the other hand, retired at the peak of his career and although Ronaldo did struggle with injuries throughout, it makes you wonder how good the Dutchman would've been had he not played his final professional game aged 28.
Actually, I retract that.

Sheva was the best striker I've seen in my lifetime.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
wild wetones please give your opinions

as good as gazika is he is a big mvb fan so i cant take his opinion for granted

fiero your mom is the best :D

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
This forum is amazingly biased :proud:
Someone intentionally screws with the poll and it's all fun and games.....I'm pretty sure if it was for one of the forum wankfest objects...many of whom aren't even Milan fans...you would have seen the mods wield their swords :star:

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
BTW, Farouk weren't you a Ronaldo lover? When did the fall out happened?

When was I EVER a Ronaldo lover?
Admitting to be a banned user = permaban for Fiero account.....bye bye Fiero :o

....oopppps wtf was I thinking...that would work in a forum where the mods had some consistency...Sorry Fiero you're welcome here to hack threads and probably accounts soon for as long as you want ....just keep kissing mod ass and agreeing with them and their friends k :proud:

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
Someone's screwing with the polls???
I simply had vote for MVB, my mom, dad, uncles favorite player, pretty much what introduce me to Milan.
sorry Ronnie :D

Last edited:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
LOL @ the childish arguments me and Dru had. :tongue: Ah to be young and stupid again. :proud:

PS-I still think Dru is an oversensitive bitch. ;)

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Actually, I retract that.

Sheva was the best striker I've seen in my lifetime.
I preferred $heva too up until world cup 2002 for the same reason I preferred CR9/7 to Messi....Messi is unbelievably talented and can be more brilliant than ANYONE but he simply doesn't bring the full range of Arsenal that CR9 brings....CR9 is THE complete attacker....speed, free kicks, aerial ability, assists, long distance shooting....the works. If you shut the two of them down completely as Manutd fan keeps saying ad nauseum CR7 can play shit and get you the result.

It was rather similar between $heva and R9. $heva had better free kicks, long distance shots and was far superior in the air. Ronaldo's brilliance and talent knew no bounda and the things he was good at he was simply unmatched at such as his finishing, pace dribbling etc. It's rather interesting that even after getting raped by Ronaldinho , Paolo Maldini singled out Ronaldo and Maradonna as the two greatest attackers he ever faced.

However to me what gives Ronaldo the edge is that he can score/perform anyhwere, under any circumstances in almost any condition. $heva's status as the world's best sharply dropped off after he lost his speed. The EPL game was simply not his and under a coach who didn't care much for him he simply fell apart. Ronaldo has been playing without his true speed since 2002. And each time adversity hit he re-invented himself to still be of some use to his team. Pre-2002 I wasn't a Ronaldo fan much at all. But I gained trmemndous respect for a player i had long since written off.

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
wild wetones please give your opinions

as good as gazika is he is a big mvb fan so i cant take his opinion for granted

fiero your mom is the best :D

I feel it's not fair to compare. I don't believe they were players with similar styles. Sheva was the most complete of the lot though. He could do it all.

However I will say this: Ronaldo, pre-injury, didn't even have to try. He was THAT good. Watch him in a friendly. Watch him in a charity game. Watch him in a tournament. Absolutely no difference. His footballing brain was/is phenomenal. He provided tons of assists as well which most people don't realise. And I dare you to find a strike partner that he didn't 'gel' with.

For me, on the pitch, best forward ever = Pre-injury Ronaldo. Sorry, but he has no equals. Not even Maradona.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
I feel it's not fair to compare. I don't believe they were players with similar styles. Sheva was the most complete of the lot though. He could do it all.

However I will say this: Ronaldo, pre-injury, didn't even have to try. He was THAT good. Watch him in a friendly. Watch him in a charity game. Watch him in a tournament. Absolutely no difference. His footballing brain was/is phenomenal. He provided tons of assists as well which most people don't realise. And I dare you to find a strike partner that he didn't 'gel' with.

For me, on the pitch, best forward ever = Pre-injury Ronaldo. Sorry, but he has no equals. Not even Maradona.

can die peacefully when my day comes :proud:

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
When I see Van Basten name I remembered to AC Milan, when I see Ronaldo tbh I remembered to merda.
Was it even fair to compare these two in ACM discussion boards ?

Last edited:

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I preferred $heva too up until world cup 2002 for the same reason I preferred CR9/7 to Messi....Messi is unbelievably talented and can be more brilliant than ANYONE but he simply doesn't bring the full range of Arsenal that CR9 brings....CR9 is THE complete attacker....speed, free kicks, aerial ability, assists, long distance shooting....the works. If you shut the two of them down completely as Manutd fan keeps saying ad nauseum CR7 can play shit and get you the result.

In terms of ability, I strongly believe that no striker in the history of the game matched Ronaldo. However, if we're taking 'influence on the team' into account, then Sheva was on another level. Some of the European games are unforgettable; from his spot-kick against Juve to the disallowed goal in his final Champions League game for us, he was the symbol of the pre-Calciopoli Milan side.

As for Cristiano Ronaldo, I couldn't agree more. While the Argentinian is clearly the more talented footballer, he's much easier to mark out of a game in comparison to Ronaldo, due to the latter's physical presence, heading ability and danger from free-kicks.

$heva's status as the world's best sharply dropped off after he lost his speed. The EPL game was simply not his and under a coach who didn't care much for him he simply fell apart.
I'd say his inability to suit Mourinho's system is a prime factor for his decline, followed by the consequent injuries in a considerably more physical league. I don't think there's a more impressive 'fall-from-grace' story than Sheva's transition from being the football equivalent of a king to being forgotten. Sadly, he'll be remembered as 'the guy that flopped at Chelsea' by the next generation of football fans, rather than the best striker of the last decade.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
In terms of ability, I strongly believe that no striker in the history of the game matched Ronaldo. However, if we're taking 'influence on the team' into account, then Sheva was on another level. Some of the European games are unforgettable; from his spot-kick against Juve to the disallowed goal in his final Champions League game for us, he was the symbol of the pre-Calciopoli Milan side.
Well said :star:

I'd say his inability to suit Mourinho's system is a prime factor for his decline, followed by the consequent injuries in a considerably more physical league. I don't think there's a more impressive 'fall-from-grace' story than Sheva's transition from being the football equivalent of a king to being forgotten. Sadly, he'll be remembered as 'the guy that flopped at Chelsea' by the next generation of football fans, rather than the best striker of the last decade.
But that's just the thing. I'm sure you'll agree that had it been Ronaldo at Chel$ki instead of $heva, even if Mourinho hated his ass he wouldn't have played nearly as much shit as $heva did across the bridge. Hell Capello seems harsher than Mourinho can ever dream to be and Ronaldo still scored when he got to play under Fabio. Even Capello was forced to acknowledge his talent...enen though he didn't play him much and the Ronaldo he witnessed was by and large a burnt out shell of the real Il' Fenomeno.

A lot of it is also genetic. Ronaldo naturally had the physical elements that would make him great. For a guy to be able to still make the 100m in under 11s after soooo many injuries and years of playing football has to be an indicator of genetic predisposition...(I only hope Fernando Torres doesn't lose his equally amazing speed ). $heva imho made himself into the legend that he became. $heva's moves reminded me of a gymnast.....it was clear that he trained and trained and whipped his body into the machine that he was. To me the only natural physical ability that $heva has was his pace (to a minor extent) but mostly his strength.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
LMAO ... Epic poll. Simply monumental :proud: :star:

Reminds me of the good ol' days ...

MVB is simply not like any other :star:

Too bad the Chixie Dicks had it their way yet again :head:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
This isn't a FatRon only thread. The title is FatRon OR Van Basten?

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
LMAO ... Epic poll. Simply monumental :proud: :star:

Reminds me of the good ol' days ...

MVB is simply not like any other :star:

Too bad the Chixie Dicks had it their way yet again :head:
To be fair Mad you think Joe the plumber>Ronaldo as well :D

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
WTF how come I can't vote in this new poll? Guess I have to create a fake account. :rolleyes:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
I still see my option in italic like I voted for it, but it says 0 votes. :tongue:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I voted in the 3rd option to tried it out and it worked out for me.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
wtf it says i have already voted (I have not) and if i i did, it woulda been for ron

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Best poll ever! :tongue:

So, it's still the same poll, instead of a new poll, the votes just got delete?

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
To be fair Mad you think Joe the plumber>Ronaldo as well :D
Ahem ... once again jumping to conclusions about my opinion on Fat Ronaldo. False conclusions, btw, and while this may come as a surprise to you and others, I actually think that Fat Ronaldo > Joe the plumber.

At dealing with tubes and pipes :p

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Have you voted on the first poll?

I don't know it was 2 years ago, I remember lots of shit stuff but aparantly voting in a poll isn't one of those things I remember.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's just a poll... Irrelevant and in no way does it make a difference to their achievments in their career, fucking hell some people.

Schedule