What book are you reading now? (books)

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
Just finished Plato's republic and One flew over the cuckoo's nest.

Next stop Lord of the Rings trilogy

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Abbiatti BOA Oezil ThiagoSilva CoupeCloue Zizou
Amitav Ghosh - Calcutta Chromosome

Currently reading "Sea of Poppies", actually re-reading it in anticipation of the US release of the second book in Ibis trilogy "River of Smoke" by same author.

Mr. Anonymous

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I just finished Jeff Olson's "The Slight Edge."

Powerful book about achieving success in all areas of life.

I highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

Along with the classic "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill.

Mr. Anonymous

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Dude, self help books are lame. So are the so-called "life coaches".

I guess your sucessful and need no improvement in any area of your life...and if you do, you don't need any book telling you how to do it cause you have it all figured out.:thumbsup:

Maldini comes out with a book of how to be a great defender, including his techniques, training, diet, mindset and other info...if you were a person trying to be a defender you'd be silly to say...that book is lame or I don't need that, I got it all figured out.

That's why some people stay at the bottom and wonder why others succeed and rise to the top.

Be humble enough to realize that there are others that know more than you...even if its written in a book. Take what you need apply it and dismiss the rest.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

I love him :thumbsup: From right now I am going to sort my shit right :D any life coach for me? Really I need an accountant

Nietzsche influenced me heavily but I am too big a pussy to follow it

Mr. Anonymous

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I'm talking about like 3 years of experience.

I read "Think and Grow Rich", also "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles, and the whole "The Secret" saga with the "law of attraction" bullshit. I read the "7 habits of highly successful people" and some book (don't remember it's name) on how to stop your mind thinking and gain control over your brain or whatever. Also much more than that but my memory fails me right now. Including psychology books, books on relaxing, success, happiness, you name it.

Point is, they're mostly bullshit. Most of these books are about how the author was miserable and a failure until one day a light bulb struck the tip of his penis and he/she (could be a she) came up with a revolutionary theory on how humans should live their life. Then they come up with a list of rules and stuff. Dismissing the possibility that one thing that works for someone couldn't work for another. There is no life rules or whatever. There is no "right" way to live life. Plus what is success anyway? It's all very subjective.

What I know is one general rule and I don't need anybody to teach it to me: if you want to achieve something, just work really hard for it and you'll get it. You might fail a million times but with hard work and persistence you'll get there. That's the only "guaranteed" rule to get something you want. Otherwise you just accept your destiny and deal with it. You can't "control" your life from A-Z no matter what.

Plus if these people are really helping you or if they could be succesfull just by using their list of gibberish rules (rules differ from one author to another but they float the same ideas that convince you because they look fancy) then why do they take your money? If I was really successful and rich, and mastered the secrets of the world and wanted to share them and HELP people, then why would I charge you for it? It's all a scam. They are just sucking your money. If you wanna be successful just work hard. And live yuor life the way you want it (and the way it unfolds), not the way some loser authors want to convince you to. And if you are depressed or sad or whatever and you need to feel good, then don't go to seminars or watch life coaches or read this shit, just visit a god damn therapist and get over it and get on with your life.

I say you in a general sense for everyone and not directed at you particularly.

There are some rules that are universal i.e... gravity, sow a tomato seed reap a tomato, and others that are more abstract. Just the way gravity works the same way for everyone...these other more abstract rules also work for everyone. The key is making them work for you instead of against you.

Let's take gravity.

Gravity is easy because you can see its effects instantly in just about every occasion. Some of the more abstract rules take a little longer to show their effects...but they eventually do show themselves.

Like gravity these more abstract rules don't care who you are or if you believe in them, they just are, just like gravity just is...and like gravity if you respect/disrespect them, they will benefit you and you can accomplish great things or you can do do much harm to yourself and/or to others.

So when you say,"there is no right way to live" go tell me that after you jump off of the 12th story of a building with nothing but your boxers and tell me that there is no right way to LIVE. There is a right way, and it includes not jumping off the 12th story of buildings in the way I described. It's just because the consequence of jumping off the building in the way I described is immediate and dramatic you know the right way live isn't to do that.

With some of the other more abstract rules in life the consequences don't manifest themselves as swiftly or quickly as gravity, but over time not living the right way causes a person to be unsuccessful in whatever they want to accomplish in there life.

If you didn't get at least that much from all the books you said you read...

:fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp:

go back and read them again...after you've read the slight edge.

P.S. - I get my books from the library so they don't cost me a cent.;)

Incredible

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Charlie Sheen
I'm talking about like 3 years of experience.

I read "Think and Grow Rich", also "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles, and the whole "The Secret" saga with the "law of attraction" bullshit. I read the "7 habits of highly successful people" and some book (don't remember it's name) on how to stop your mind thinking and gain control over your brain or whatever. Also much more than that but my memory fails me right now. Including psychology books, books on relaxing, success, happiness, you name it.

Point is, they're mostly bullshit. Most of these books are about how the author was miserable and a failure until one day a light bulb struck the tip of his penis and he/she (could be a she) came up with a revolutionary theory on how humans should live their life. Then they come up with a list of rules and stuff. Dismissing the possibility that one thing that works for someone couldn't work for another. There is no life rules or whatever. There is no "right" way to live life. Plus what is success anyway? It's all very subjective.

What I know is one general rule and I don't need anybody to teach it to me: if you want to achieve something, just work really hard for it and you'll get it. You might fail a million times but with hard work and persistence you'll get there. That's the only "guaranteed" rule to get something you want. Otherwise you just accept your destiny and deal with it. You can't "control" your life from A-Z no matter what.

Plus if these people are really helping you or if they could be succesfull just by using their list of gibberish rules (rules differ from one author to another but they float the same ideas that convince you because they look fancy) then why do they take your money? If I was really successful and rich, and mastered the secrets of the world and wanted to share them and HELP people, then why would I charge you for it? It's all a scam. They are just sucking your money. If you wanna be successful just work hard. And live yuor life the way you want it (and the way it unfolds), not the way some loser authors want to convince you to. And if you are depressed or sad or whatever and you need to feel good, then don't go to seminars or watch life coaches or read this shit, just visit a god damn therapist and get over it and get on with your life.

I say you in a general sense for everyone and not directed at you particularly.

Those books are full of BS, read "The millionaire next door". Thats probably the only "How-to" book i got something useful of.

@topic, i was reading a book called "What everybody is saying", related to psychology on how to read people when talking to them, detecting lies, stress and nervousness. As for now i am reading the "Bourne Legacy" which is a follow up on the latest movie.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading biographies lately. Curently it's my favourite kind of book. I'm enjoying now a lot of books I had in the past but passed on it for various reasons. I think I also had some of that typical academic bias against journalistic language. It seems narrow minded from myself now though. Altough there's really a lot of bad written biographies, there's also very good writers. Simple language/history line doesn't mean lack of thoroughness, yet can be much more entertaining to read.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I hadn't read 'mainstream fantasies' for a long long time now, preferring more surreal stuff by Murakami and so on.. But I started 'Song of Ice and Fire' last week after it became unbearable to not participate in peer-group discussions about the same.

What an incredibly awesome series! It differs from your typical fantasy storyline skeleton, in the simple fact that it presents perspectives of everyone - even so-called villains. Everyone is grey and superbly realistic.

Finished Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings. On to Storm of Swords now.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Colossus by Neil Ferguson. It's mainly for a class, but there's some interesting arguments there, however I do believe that Ferguson has one major flaw in the way he conceives an empire (basically thinking it starts and ends with the british empire)...which is the same mistake people do in here when talking about the yankee empire (but Ferguson's arguments prove otherwise).

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
Reading The Auschwitz violin.

Love the book. As you probably guessed it most of the book talks about Auschwitz in the WW2. Great story... even though it´s not true.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Since I started working at the begining of this year, ive been reading much less because my eyes feel exhausted from the cursed machine that is the computer. I was 3/4 the way to finish Yevgeny Zamyatin's We which Orwell admitted that it played an important role in writing 1984. I think the topic and content are interesting but it could not keep me attached the way 1984 did, something about the way Orwell writes makes it more appealing. With We, halfway through the book there were too many unconnected incidents and not enough twist that will keep you wanting to read more.

However, I must say I have a nerdy crush on one of the characters: I-330. That woman is so seductive and so naughty, I am sure anybody who reads the book will feel the same way too.

Last edited:

Capo Ultra

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I recently finished reading these three books:
Blindness by José Saramago.
The War of the End of the World by Mario Vargas Llosa.
The Fortunate Pilgrim by Mario Puzo.

Currently I'm reading these books:
Blue Tigers by Jorge Luis Borges.
Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Can you read two books at the same time? I have to finish one before starting the other.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Did anybody read A fraction of the whole by Steve Toltz? Its such a great and humourous book

kristpdr

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo Maradona Maldini Baresi Baggio Cafu
I am reading science books..Chemistry, physics, botany, agrometheorology, mycology, mathematics... First reading..Then studying.. My studying process always starts with reading..

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Recently read:
- The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon: a comical noir detective story set in an fictitious Yiddish shtettl in Alaska revolving around the game of chess and the next coming of the Messiah (is probably gonna be put into a movie by the Coen brothers :thumbsup:). The first hundred pages are absolutely brilliantly written, the end is rapped up too suddenly.
- The Royal Game by Stefan Zweig: another chess story set on a cruise ship during WWII, very easy read about a man being held by the Gestapo who - to escape his mental and physical exclusion from the world - played chess games in his head, with schizophrenic consequences when he plays a real chess champion.
- The Pigeon and Maitre Mussards Bequest and 3 short stories by Patrick Süskind: The Pigeon is a story about a simple guy who's life gets upside down when there's a pigeon in front of his room. Very well written, gives you a good look in the head of someone who had to struggle all his life. Maitre Mussard and the 3 short stories are short novellas talking about the end of the world, religion, art, again the game of chess and the absurdity of literature. These stories, well written as they are, come nowhere close to the brilliance of his book Perfume, one of the most unique novels if ever read.

About to read:
- Blind Date by Jerzy Kosinski: loved his books The Painted Bird and Cockpit, I guess this one is not gonna be any less violent and sexually tinted.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This:

particules-elementaires-10.jpg

Brilliant book

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
I'm reading biographies lately. Curently it's my favourite kind of book. I'm enjoying now a lot of books I had in the past but passed on it for various reasons. I think I also had some of that typical academic bias against journalistic language. It seems narrow minded from myself now though. Altough there's really a lot of bad written biographies, there's also very good writers. Simple language/history line doesn't mean lack of thoroughness, yet can be much more entertaining to read.

:thumbsup:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Took Chuck Palahniuk's 'Rant' today. We'll see if I read it ...

Capo Ultra

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Currently I'm reading these books:
Blue Tigers by Jorge Luis Borges.
Ilustrado by Miguel Syjuco.

Finished the two above-mentioned books about a month ago and read the autobiographies of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Giovanni Galli after that.

Now I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I got Milan, 25 anni di Gloria by Luca Serafini today, so I'll probably read it when I'm done with 1Q84.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Ok, this is seriously spooky, Capo Ultra. I came here to post that I've just started 1Q84.

Bought it yesterday - the edition here has all 3 volumes in one book. Tremendously expensive in accordance with that. Any other author, and I'd have thought twice about spending that much on a book.

With job getting more hectic, it had taken me 2 months to finish all 5 Ice and Fire books, and the 3 Dunk & Egg companion stories. But what an amazing two months. GRRM is a truly gifted man. What I wouldnt give to steal a peek at his notes for the remaining 2 Ice and Fire books.. In short, I highly recommend the series to anyone who enjoys low fantasy and/or medieval history.

Last edited:

Capo Ultra

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ok, this is seriously spooky, Capo Ultra. I came here to post that I've just started 1Q84.

Bought it yesterday - the edition here has all 3 volumes in one book. Tremendously expensive in accordance with that. Any other author, and I'd have thought twice about spending that much on a book.

What a coincidence :)
I probably shouldn't tell you this since you've already bought the book, but I have it as an epub file if you're interested?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What a coincidence :)
I probably shouldn't tell you this since you've already bought the book, but I have it as an epub file if you're interested?

Haha, thanks but no, since I've bought it already. I continue to read print versions for my favourite authors - difficult to let go of physical books, their touch, smell etc :)

Schedule