Week 3: AC Milan vs AS Roma 31/08/2018 20:30 CET

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
our backline most likely is going to be our future. so these guys need to be comfortable with passing sooner rather than later. yes real, barca, bayern press a lot but guess what? we won't have to play them.
And the'll need to be able to adapt when sth isn't working out but worse bringing us constantly in trouble which leads sooner or later to a goal. I'm really not asking for something completely out of this world I think :)

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There’s a good reason why we play out from the back and we’re acually getting pretty good at it. When teams press and push up it becomes harder for you to move the ball forward. You can kick the ball long and hope for the best but that’s unpredictable and you lose possession more often than not. Better to absorb their press, pass around it and stretch their players. The more comfortable we are at this the better it becomes. It’s a huge weapon against teams that press high and it can get you up the pitch without losing the ball.

Donnarumma isn’t so bad on the ball either. He just looks awkward.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not talking of kicking the ball blindly out and hope for the best. One can try to change sides for a change with a long ball. Aim for a midfielder on the other side of the opponents pressing wall.

I think a player like Bonucci has been direly missed against Napoli. Defensive wise we didn't loose much with his departure, but when it comes to building from the back, we did.

Aiming for the maximum is good. But when there's a game something you want to do just doesn't work at all but instead brings you on the verge of loosing a game, you need to adapt. I'm not saying fuck building from the back generally (I really did quite literally), but against those where doing it is like stabbing yourself. Napoli was such an opponent, and I expected more tactical flexibility. More solutions. Why are people here acting like that's kind of a betrayal?

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Suso's final ball did let him down sometimes but he had a great game. He played like a midfielder, getting the ball from Calabria or Biglia from very deep, disorienting their back line (does Kolarov track him or look out for Calabria?) and made sure the ball moved up. His main job wasn't really to shoot or find an assist, it's to get the ball from deep and allow Kessie and Calabria to move up ahead of him finding space in the chaos.

Same exact job that Calhanoglu has as well. He was behind Bonaventura almost every time we get possession. His movement is always towards the ball, pulling Karsdrop and leaving room for Rodriguez and Bonaventura.

In the first half Calabria and Rodriguez has acres of space because nobody tracked them from high up and they had time to sprint into space. In the second half El Shaarawy and Schick finally started tracking our fullbacks and it became a normal game.

Gattuso needs to be given enormous credit for reinventing Suso. He's no longer a predictable inside winger that was always getting the ball high up and wide and always looking to cut back. Now that he's playing a lot deeper he has much more room to look up and be unpredictable.

I partly agree with you, however this new role has come at the expense of goals and assist, which are very vital parts of a wingers job description. I hope he steps up a bit in the final third, especially with Calabria disappearing in every other match there’s not a lot of goal threat coming from that right side.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
conti is here, celebrating
FT%20-%20Copy%20(2).png

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Suso's final ball did let him down sometimes but he had a great game. He played like a midfielder, getting the ball from Calabria or Biglia from very deep, disorienting their back line (does Kolarov track him or look out for Calabria?) and made sure the ball moved up. His main job wasn't really to shoot or find an assist, it's to get the ball from deep and allow Kessie and Calabria to move up ahead of him finding space in the chaos.

Same exact job that Calhanoglu has as well. He was behind Bonaventura almost every time we get possession. His movement is always towards the ball, pulling Karsdrop and leaving room for Rodriguez and Bonaventura.

In the first half Calabria and Rodriguez has acres of space because nobody tracked them from high up and they had time to sprint into space. In the second half El Shaarawy and Schick finally started tracking our fullbacks and it became a normal game.

Gattuso needs to be given enormous credit for reinventing Suso. He's no longer a predictable inside winger that was always getting the ball high up and wide and always looking to cut back. Now that he's playing a lot deeper he has much more room to look up and be unpredictable.

There’s a good reason why we play out from the back and we’re acually getting pretty good at it. When teams press and push up it becomes harder for you to move the ball forward. You can kick the ball long and hope for the best but that’s unpredictable and you lose possession more often than not. Better to absorb their press, pass around it and stretch their players. The more comfortable we are at this the better it becomes. It’s a huge weapon against teams that press high and it can get you up the pitch without losing the ball.

Donnarumma isn’t so bad on the ball either. He just looks awkward.

Wait what is all this? I thought Gattuso had no tactics and was all 'grinta'?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Also @brk, the one technical difference between Hakan and Suso is that even though both drop deep to find the ball as you correctly say, Hakan is also capable of incisive passes to the striker or to the right-sided midfielders (or even shots) from a deeper position - in case Bonaventura or RicRod aren't in free good positions to receive simple passes ahead. That extra tool makes him perfect for this role.

Suso simply isn't technically good enough for those passes. So for me, that position always remains upgradable. Now that we have a proper striker, the Suso position is the priority one where a talented technical player can give us an instant offensive upgrade and truly take the team to the next level. Unless this season, he shows technical skill he hasn't shown yet at Milan. Let's see.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not talking of kicking the ball blindly out and hope for the best. One can try to change sides for a change with a long ball. Aim for a midfielder on the other side of the opponents pressing wall.

I think a player like Bonucci has been direly missed against Napoli. Defensive wise we didn't loose much with his departure, but when it comes to building from the back, we did.

Aiming for the maximum is good. But when there's a game something you want to do just doesn't work at all but instead brings you on the verge of loosing a game, you need to adapt. I'm not saying fuck building from the back generally (I really did quite literally), but against those where doing it is like stabbing yourself. Napoli was such an opponent, and I expected more tactical flexibility. More solutions. Why are people here acting like that's kind of a betrayal?

i understand your concern but i think we are doing that. RR, hakan, higuain, suso are all helping switch play from one side to another with long balls. donna and our defense needs to do that too, right now they prefers short passes mostly. with integration of samu and bakayoko, we will have another weapon ready as they have different characteristics. so our play won't really be limited. advantage of playing ball from back is we can outnumber the opponents if we can do it smartly. but it requires combination of passing, quick thinking and pressing a lot. i think we are on the right track for that. my only concern is if we can do it throughout the season.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got time to watch the game.

Holy shit, we were good, totally deserved to win.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
FUCK EVERYONE WHO SHITS ON CALABRIA

Played a massive part in getting the win.

Calciomercato

After they won the game against Roma in a thrilling manner, all of the Milan players were praised for their performance. As revealed by WhoScored, the Rossoneri saw a great improvement on one key area.

In fact, as stated by the stat site, Davide Calabria had the most successful passes in the team with 60, four more than Musacchio and Biglia in second place.

Bilgia, on the other hand, had the best pass accuracy with a stunning 98.2%, misplacing only one pass. In this aspect, Calabria had 95%.

But lets start ABATE :fp:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
this mofo hates Patrick more than Mariah Carey hates Ariana Grande :lol:
PatrickCutroneACMilanvsRomaSerieDUYISlNklaml-741x430.jpg