Spanish La Liga Thread (BBVA)

Who will win La Liga and which two teams will complete the top 4?

• Total voters

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
What a loosing mentality from Villareal :fp: barca are going through them without even bothering

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I really find it ridiculous and awesome what barca is doing tactically though.

Seriously ONE recognized defender. I'll give Pep credit for this. In an era where everyone and their mom uses a 4-2-3-1, he's come up with a unique system/outlook that keeps evolving.

Thats why i wanted lugano. Counter the midgets with our 5 CB system- Nesta, Thiago, Yepes, Mexes, Lugano. :o

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Good game plan so far, weird shape for Barca but it seems to be working though I still feel that Alexis is out of place. Hes hardly seen the ball and when he has he hasnt done anything productive with it. The chemistry between Cesc and Leo is immense, Iniesta and Pedro included at times. Thiago's done well so far, kept it very simple and im surprised at his tracking back. Note: Pedro also seems uncomfy on the LW, maybe a swap with Alexis?

Villarreal are sitting back but cant defend and go forward with only 2 to 3 players against five or six of Barca. Long balls are not going to help having Rossi up front.

Last edited:

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think only you and Sven can understand me, but don't you feel like good defending skills are a dying breed these days? It angers me how much space teams leave at times (in general not just in here, but everywhere, with very few exceptions), how much freedom near their area and how much of a pussies defenders have become when it comes to marking/tackling (they go back and back instead of trying to confront their opponent). I guess the introduction of possession as a way of defending is part of this (hence why you can use DMs CMs as CBs and be succesful), but geez, if you're the one that isn't in control of possession (as well 99% of teams are when they face Barcelona) you have to do go back to basics and actually defend (or is that people are now to afraid of the Xavi's in the world that will make you feel bad for using defensive tactics?)

In my experience, kids just aren't taught how to defend properly anymore. Everything I know about defending came from my dad, not from my clubs' coaches. Is South America not still teaching kids the right things?

In the case of Villareal tonight, it's mainly the total lack of intensity in Villareal's defending that's pissing me off. I know most teams will travel to Barcelona with a sense of grim inevitability, but I'd still expect them to run hard until the first goal goes in, at the very least.

Rossi and Nilmar are also letting them down badly. As a striker, when Barca squeeze way up to the half way line, you can't just fucking stand still with your back to goal and wait for a ball to feet. Why are they not running the channels? They're depriving their team mates of any sort of outlet.

Speaking of shit defending, Villareal have just conceded a goal through the worst offside trap I've seen for quite some time.

What a pass by Messi on that one.

Villareal put no pressure on the ball, left a space in behind their backline and didn't track Fabregas' run. That goal was a gift.

Messi did what he had to do competently, as he almost invariably does, but nobody would feel the need to comment on someone like Özil (or virtually anyone else) playing a pass like that.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I really find it ridiculous and awesome what barca is doing tactically though.

Seriously ONE recognized defender. I'll give Pep credit for this. In an era where everyone and their mom uses a 4-2-3-1, he's come up with a unique system/outlook that keeps evolving.

Thats why i wanted lugano. Counter the midgets with our 5 CB system- Nesta, Thiago, Yepes, Mexes, Lugano. :o

Lugano went to psg for 3mil :eek:

I'd love him here.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Villareal put no pressure on the ball, left a space in behind their backline and didn't track Fabregas' run. That goal was a gift.

Messi did what he had to do competently, as he almost invariably does, but nobody would feel the need to comment on someone like Özil (or virtually anyone else) playing a pass like that.

which is why he struggles with argentina comparatively, imo.

so many teams play with a defeatist attitude v. barca and let messi shit on them. Not saying he needs them to bend over.. but you dont need to make it easier

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
This is just so lame.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
LOL this is getting ********.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I seriously think Villareal are getting paid for losing this...

Last edited:

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

And it wasn't the first time that kinda run was just completly ignored. Iniesta had made the exact same run from the left at least twice, where the only thing that saved Villareal was imprecise passing from Barcelona.

Tbh La Liga has become a bit dumb lately. I mean, even though Real Madrid and Barcelona have dominated the league for a long time now, Valencia, Sevilla etc. used to be way better. Villareal, Valencia, Sevilla all lost star players without replacing them, and as a result Barcelona can beat Villareal with 4-0 without it really being a surprise.

Serno91

Cassanata
Reaction score
Fav. Players
From AC Milan
Game over Villareal, 4-0. If they were fighting and doing their best, even losing huge like this, no problem. But this is just bullshit, get a fucking grip!!!
Is there only two competitive teams in La Liga?

ZBoban

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Villareal, Valencia are just as competitive as Napoli, Udinese or Juve..it's just that RM and Barca make them look worse than they really are.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
In my experience, kids just aren't taught how to defend properly anymore. Everything I know about defending came from my dad, not from my clubs' coaches. Is South America not still teaching kids the right things?
South America is probably the only place were proper defending is still taught (Paraguay, Uruguay, Colombia, even Venezuela has gathered a thing or two, and actually Brazil is producing more and more defensive style of players-but Mano has no idea how to use them cause he prefers fantasiaaa!)...I believe it's one of the reasons why Messi has issues performing with Argentina, he's not used to these guys and these guys will do anything to make life impossible when the ref ain't seeing and they won't leave you alone throughout the whole game.

I do believe zonal marking is partly "at fault" for this, but then there's some really amateurish mistakes that are repeated over and over, stuff that one would believe it's taught at youth levels or that at least your coach tells you before the game "listen once Cristiano is nearing the edge of the area, instead of backing away, you have to try to make him uncomfortable, you tackle him, if it's dangerous for a FK, then you just try to bug the shit out of him to make him lose possession or make a mistake".

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I do believe zonal marking is partly "at fault"

Agreed. Discourages players from taking individual responsibility.

I don't understand why players think there's more to lose by attempting a challenge than by letting Barcelona/Madrid walk to the edge of their box. Maybe they care more about avoiding personal humiliation than about the scoreline.

Athens2007

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Karima el Mahroug - Ruby
MU 8:2
RM 6:0
MC 5:1
FCB 5:0

That's not by chance, I wish we can really compete with them.

Athens2007

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Karima el Mahroug - Ruby
hercules 2:1 barca

how the f will we get by hercules?!

That was a year ago after the Argentina-Spain friendly in South America. Forget it. Lets talk about this season. These four are out of our reach. I wish (badly) I am wrong.

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Villareal, Valencia are just as competitive as Napoli, Udinese or Juve..it's just that RM and Barca make them look worse than they really are.
No they are not, this is just a myth perpetuated by La Liga fans. Of course, by "La Liga fans" I actually mean: Barcelona fans who claim to support Milan.

MilanMarkus

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
MU 8:2
RM 6:0
MC 5:1
FCB 5:0

That's not by chance, I wish we can really compete with them.

This truly is the age of the 'superteams'. These teams have virtually unlimited funds at their disposal and are developing into a class of their own within their national leagues. Way out of reach of all other teams.

For a very long period the Dutch national league was just like that. Ajax and PSV were miles ahead of all other teams and won almost every match with little effort.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
That was a year ago after the Argentina-Spain friendly in South America. Forget it. Lets talk about this season. These four are out of our reach. I wish (badly) I am wrong.

Fine.

Chivas beat Barcelona like 5-0(iirc) a couple weeks ago.

They are now the de-facto best team in the world.

And for all you know, we could've beaten Cagliari like 15-0, or what if Blackburn were to win 8-0? Would that make them equal? Nope...

ZBoban

Milan Icon
Reaction score
No they are not, this is just a myth perpetuated by La Liga fans. Of course, by "La Liga fans" I actually mean: Barcelona fans who claim to support Milan.
RM and Barca would trash Juve, Udinese, Roma and Napoli the same way they trash Liga clubs.

Athens2007

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Karima el Mahroug - Ruby
This truly is the age of the 'superteams'. These teams have virtually unlimited funds at their disposal and are developing into a class of their own within their national leagues. Way out of reach of all other teams.

For a very long period the Dutch national league was just like that. Ajax and PSV were miles ahead of all other teams and won almost every match with little effort.

I wouldn't say it's limited to National Leagues. Arsenal eliminated Udinese, Villareal is in CL, Roma got out of EL playing with nobodies.

Will play with farca in 2 weeks, will know much better where we are.

Schedule