World Cup General Discussion Thread

Which "dark horse" NT do you think will go furthest ?

• Total voters

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
Boateng Hummels look seriously off pace.. khedira even worse.
And who picks Mario Gomez!!!
Many coaches have made stupid decisions by dropping some good players icardi, naingolan, rabiot etc but dropping Sane is the worst imo.
If germany doesnt get better drastically Brazil will avenge the 7-1 and then some

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'll be surprised if they dont manage to beat sweden, that would be a new loew

I wont rule out Emile Forsberg being a Bundes-killer.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Many coaches have made stupid decisions by dropping some good players icardi, naingolan, rabiot etc but dropping Sane is the worst imo.
If germany doesnt get better drastically Brazil will avenge the 7-1 and then some

Dropping Sane was a bad decision, but no decision is remotely as bad as dropping Icardi. That's just incredible arrogance.

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
Fantastic half by Mexico.. the first real 'team' this world cup.. every attacking move has been super fluid and planned. A rarity for national teams.

Also German defence is atrocious - I guess this is what happens when you have a defence based entirely in the Bundesliga.

That's why Germany won the world cup in 2014 with mainly Höwedes (Schalke 04), Boateng (BM), Hümmels (BM) and Lahm (BM) :fp:
backups were Grosskreutz (Dortmund), Durm (Dortmund), Mertesacker (Arsenal - who even played most of his career in Hannover and Bremen) and Mustafi (Sampdoria).

My God, the things you read on this forum. Gold!

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

agreed, dropping sane is criminal, +1 on the brazil bit as well.

the first step would be to play 3 cms and drop both drax and ozil

khedira rudy/goretzka

muller kroos reus

werner

Dropping Sane was a bad decision, but no decision is remotely as bad as dropping Icardi. That's just incredible arrogance.

sane is a far better player than icardi and provides something germany dont have, pace and directness.

icardi is another choker who isnt a better striker than aguero, and doesn't have the link up play higuain has.

argentina's problems aren't in the attacking department, it's the horrible midfield and defense.

Last edited:

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
Horrendous game today. Boateng looked exhausted and took like forever to give a 3 meter pass. Wouldn't be surprised if Süle starts next game. Also Hümmels slow as fuck.
No strong personality, no leader on the pitch... We miss Schweinsteiger.

On one hand, Germany is known to grow into a tournament, they never convince in the group stages. On the other hand, this squad lacks quality (?), experience and pace. They are a team in transition, a new generation is coming so we'll see what they can do in the next world cup. This one won't be ours, that's for sure.

Anyway, this was a wake up call.. but then again, we do participate :D

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9

I would agree, but i read somewhere that was more due to him being not in Messi’s circle. Not much a coach can do then as they are mostly Messi’s bitches

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Germany thought they could just roll over Mexico, bulldoze through them without a midfield tracking back. Allowing Kimmich to be play as a winger without any covering. While keeping their defense line near the halfway line.

It is just supreme arrogance and overconfidence in their attacking prowess. The team looked absolutely shocked at Mexico actually playing football, I bet they expected them to lay down for Germany like their opponents in qualifying. Lowe is just a poor man's Guardiola, a pale imitation of his greatness. His substitutes today just spelt out his naivety and incompetence.

Germany aren't winning without that defense. Both Kroos and Khedira need a DM. Boateng is lost. Hummels is as inconsistent as ever. They've both lost pace too.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
https://www.balls.ie/football/mesut-ozil-and-ikay-gundogan-391129

playing ozil 90 minutes in a loss

giphy.gif

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Horrendous game today. Boateng looked exhausted and took like forever to give a 3 meter pass. Wouldn't be surprised if Süle starts next game. Also Hümmels slow as fuck.
No strong personality, no leader on the pitch... We miss Schweinsteiger.

On one hand, Germany is known to grow into a tournament, they never convince in the group stages. On the other hand, this squad lacks quality (?), experience and pace. They are a team in transition, a new generation is coming so we'll see what they can do in the next world cup. This one won't be ours, that's for sure.

Anyway, this was a wake up call.. but then again, we do participate :D

Thats the thing i found most troubling.. both CBs and their shield khedira.. looked so laboured and ponderous. Mexico tore them apart at will.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
L for Loew

imagine dropping sane for ozil and drax who arent even on form, and then starting both with kroos and khedira to get run over by mexico.

when germany won the wc, the midfield looked like this

Khedira Bastian

Muller Kroos Ozil

3 cms, all players on form.

mexico should finish first, germany will get ko'd by brazil.

Tbh they should have defeated mexico with the team they started with today... Mexico were in a awful form coming to this match... denmark defeated them 2-0 comfortably last week.. a friendly but still.

Germany came to this match with arrogance, as if they could easily win. They need to sort out their mentality first and foremost

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Tbh they should have defeated mexico with the team they started with today... Mexico were in a awful form coming to this match... denmark defeated them 2-0 comfortably last week.. a friendly but still.

Germany came to this match with arrogance, as if they could easily win. They need to sort out their mentality first and foremost

they should if they play the right line up, a lightweight midfield like that is easy pickings for teams like mexico who press and are quick on the counter

for example, they can play this shit line up and beat south korea and probably sweden, but changes have to be made immediately, I wouldn't risk it.

but knowing this arrogant german di matteo, he probably wont change a thing.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
agreed, dropping sane is criminal, +1 on the brazil bit as well.

the first step would be to play 3 cms and drop both drax and ozil

khedira rudy/goretzka

muller kroos reus

werner

sane is a far better player than icardi and provides something germany dont have, pace and directness.

icardi is another choker who isnt a better striker than aguero, and doesn't have the link up play higuain has.

argentina's problems aren't in the attacking department, it's the horrible midfield and defense.

Agree with everything .. wouldn't put it past Germany to get themselves eliminated in the group stages

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I would agree, but i read somewhere that was more due to him being not in Messi’s circle. Not much a coach can do then as they are mostly Messi’s bitches

Yeah.. and before that the whole federation danced to Maradona's tunes. I guess it's really difficult for Argentina to be professional.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyhow, this world cup is definitely more open than the last two. Spain winning 2010 and Germany winning 2014 were both relatively good bets. This time? I have no clue. Which just means it's the best chance for Cristiano Ronaldo to try win the first individual world cup since 1986.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
imo if germany had a better selection (just 2-3 changes) and coaching (0 tactical reactions to the way opponents play) they'd be clear favorites

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Brazil have been my pick to win it for months, with uruguay as dark horses.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score

As much as I dislike Icardi, I think him being dropped from Argentina's squad is the sole reason Messi won't win anything at the international level.

With him upfront I'm sure they could've won Copa America and possibly win vs. Germany in 2014 WC final. He's a top CF that's for sure.

Hugh Janus

Paolo Mongdini
Reaction score
That's why Germany won the world cup in 2014 with mainly Höwedes (Schalke 04), Boateng (BM), Hümmels (BM) and Lahm (BM) :fp:
backups were Grosskreutz (Dortmund), Durm (Dortmund), Mertesacker (Arsenal - who even played most of his career in Hannover and Bremen) and Mustafi (Sampdoria).

My God, the things you read on this forum. Gold!
Oh well another Bundesfan on RnB.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
should just keep one thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Better archival practice to have multiple threads :o

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah, one thread is enough. Much more fun when all games are discussed at one place.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Yeaah one is enough.

Stitches

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Multiple threads of course. Next the commodersi ask all Milan games to be in one thread.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
Brazil doesn't have a sole captain? That shit is dumb.

Schedule