Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
So how can DC possibly close the distance on Jones without getting hit? fedor could do it because he had the ability to close the distance real quick by angling in right?
DC seems to only struggle to close the distance on Jones. He has got to figure out a way to get past those oblique and teep kicks. Either check them or counter with your own leg kicks but DC has poor kicking game. Something fedor could do with ease and that's the reason why fedor would beat Jones I think.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Anyone else train months on end with something that feels weird but never weird enough to go and have a doctor take a look at it? :monto:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Anyone else train months on end with something that feels weird but never weird enough to go and have a doctor take a look at it? :monto:

Years.

Not even just weird. Actual small injuries that I know I can live with (sprains, even small tears in ligaments),

Side note:

Cerrone finishes Perry pretty easy. Always thought Perry was mostly talk and fairly new in terms of his skills, can't believe Jackson-Winkeljohn ditched Cerrone for Perry.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I was so happy for cerrone when he finished perry, absolutely schooled him on the ground, that reverse from bottom to top was beautiful.

yair vs zombie :star: what an insane finish, never seen anything like it.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I was so happy for cerrone when he finished perry, absolutely schooled him on the ground, that reverse from bottom to top was beautiful.

yair vs zombie :star: what an insane finish, never seen anything like it.

Yea it's not common to see someone be that dominant from the bottom in the UFC anymore.

For me that just goes to show how noob Perry was...maybe I am wrong but I felt like UFC has been trying to hype Perry. Had he beaten Cerrone, they may even position him for a shot soon.

Edit: Were you impressed by Yair? I thought the ending was extremely sloppy but good for him beating another tough fighter. I also think KZ isn't the same anymore (age, injuries, time away from octagon to serve).

I still remember my first time watching KZ fight in Sengoku 7 (World Victory Road)'s Featherweight tourney. It was the first time that I dived in to the Featherweight Division as it was not in the UFC, and I actively followed the WEC but I would say at the time the lighter talents were still in Japan, namely Kid (RIP).

What an exciting time it was: DREAM (creation of former PRIDE and K-1 HERO's organizers) was also having their own Featherweight tourney, so lots of talented international Featherweight talents. Funnily enough, KZ was not even close to being the favorite of that tournament, not even a dark horse, though that may be partly due to being Korean. Hatsu Hioki was the clear favorite, and Marlon Sandro was the second favorite. The dark horses were Kanehara and Nam Pham. In the DREAM tournament, it was kind of set up to give Kid a belt. There were a lot of good veterans and prospects (Bibi) but none of their games seemed complete enough to beat Kid. Kid even got a bi but lost to Joe Warren and it was this tournament that pretty much solidified Bibiano as the top FW in Asia.

It's just really interesting to look back at the career of everyone involved in those tournaments as I believe that was the first real exposure that the Featherweights got. And I feel old af now seeing KZ as the season veteran.

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea it's not common to see someone be that dominant from the bottom in the UFC anymore.

For me that just goes to show how noob Perry was...maybe I am wrong but I felt like UFC has been trying to hype Perry. Had he beaten Cerrone, they may even position him for a shot soon.

Edit: Were you impressed by Yair? I thought the ending was extremely sloppy but good on him. I also think KZ isn't the same anymore (age, injuries, time away from octagon to serve).

tbh I had zombie winning the fight, they both looked tired as fuck starting from the 3rd round, but imo zombie did more to win.

zombie made such a n00b mistake in the end rushing like that, he could have edged out a decision and at worst case scenario just lose a decision. Now he's going to be in the highlight reel for the rest of his life, for the wrong reasons. :lol:

I think yair is a good fighter for the UFC to have, flashy stand up fighter who's willing to throw down, I don't think he'll ever be champ.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
tbh I had zombie winning the fight, they both looked tired as fuck starting from the 3rd round, but imo zombie did more to win.

zombie made such a n00b mistake in the end rushing like that, he could have edged out a decision and at worst case scenario just lose a decision. Now he's going to be in the highlight reel for the rest of his life, for the wrong reasons. :lol:

I think yair is a good fighter for the UFC to have, flashy stand up fighter who's willing to throw down, I don't think he'll ever be champ.

KZ always fought like that. Being smart isn't part of his game

And agree 100% with your assessment of Yair.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I still remember my first time watching KZ fight in Sengoku 7 (World Victory Road)'s Featherweight tourney. It was the first time that I dived in to the Featherweight Division as it was not in the UFC, and I actively followed the WEC but I would say at the time the lighter talents were still in Japan, namely Kid (RIP).

What an exciting time it was: DREAM (creation of former PRIDE and K-1 HERO's organizers) was also having their own Featherweight tourney, so lots of talented international Featherweight talents. Funnily enough, KZ was not even close to being the favorite of that tournament, not even a dark horse, though that may be partly due to being Korean. Hatsu Hioki was the clear favorite, and Marlon Sandro was the second favorite. The dark horses were Kanehara and Nam Pham. In the DREAM tournament, it was kind of set up to give Kid a belt. There were a lot of good veterans and prospects (Bibi) but none of their games seemed complete enough to beat Kid. Kid even got a bi but lost to Joe Warren and it was this tournament that pretty much solidified Bibiano as the top FW in Asia.

It's just really interesting to look back at the career of everyone involved in those tournaments as I believe that was the first real exposure that the Featherweights got. And I feel old af now seeing KZ as the season veteran.
:thumbsup:

just saw this, I'm bummed out I missed the old school days(I went back and watched them) but I feel we may see better worldwide mma if bellator and maybe even one keep growing.

scott coker's eye for talent is second to none and IMO one should focus on recruiting korean and japanese talents, steal them from rizin who so far seem like a complete gimmick.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

just saw this, I'm bummed out I missed the old school days(I went back and watched them) but I feel we may see better worldwide mma if bellator and maybe even one keep growing.

scott coker's eye for talent is second to none and IMO one should focus on recruiting korean and japanese talents, steal them from rizin who so far seem like a complete gimmick.

ONE FC is actually doing a decent job cultivating the Asian talents, and ROAD FC and HERO FC in Korea consistently produces solid competitors, and China even has 3 of their own promotions although they do a lot of cross-promotions with kickboxing fights (similar to K-1 HERO'S).

Bellator I feel like changed their focus. In the beginning I remember them being just their own small org and fostering kind of a cult following with some decent fighters. Then they decided to sign the mediocre guys from UFC to try to put on cards to "compete" with the UFC. I feel like I liked them better when they were growing their homegrown talent.

I really think UFC nowadays has too large of a roster. Its really difficult to keep up with the development of a fighter nowadays, and most of them are "pushed" way too soon.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
UFC definitely tries to push Perry and he is entertaining which counts for a lot in today's climate. The problem is that while I do think he's very funny, he's gatekeeper material at best.

But his fights are usually violent so I won't complain.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
yair has ducked zabit 3 times now.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
UFC definitely tries to push Perry and he is entertaining which counts for a lot in today's climate. The problem is that while I do think he's very funny, he's gatekeeper material at best.

But his fights are usually violent so I won't complain.

That was such a beginner armbar to be caught in :fp:

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That was such a beginner armbar to be caught in :fp:

He even has holes in his standup where he is supposed to be very good - he was a bit exposed vs that unranked fighter he lost too.

He's a funny guy with his hood thing and can get you fun fights but nowhere near as polished or complete enough to fight guys like Cerrone, I think that was obvious to anyone that follows the fight game somewhat seriously.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
why did he slam him rofl? made the job easier for donald to hypwrextend his arm. wonder how the recovery process works for this though. How long will it take for him to recover and would the arm heal completely to get back to the same shape it was prior to the armbar?

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
why did he slam him rofl? made the job easier for donald to hypwrextend his arm. wonder how the recovery process works for this though. How long will it take for him to recover and would the arm heal completely to get back to the same shape it was prior to the armbar?

He slammed to be a typical rookie meathead.

"I can't get out with technique so I am going to try to spike your head hoping you let go". He deserved to get his arm broken.

If his arm broke, at least 6-8 weeks before he's able to roll again, don't know about contact sparring for striking.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He slammed to be a typical rookie meathead.

"I can't get out with technique so I am going to try to spike your head hoping you let go". He deserved to get his arm broken.

If his arm broke, at least 6-8 weeks before he's able to roll again, don't know about contact sparring for striking.

I think atleast 4 months man.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
One FC is doing a Grand Prix

Excited and not excited at the same time

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
One FC is doing a Grand Prix

Excited and not excited at the same time

Don't think it will go that well. Its not the 90's anymore, and fighters have learned to preserve their energy.

Hopefully its not as bad as this:

JDHpAqw.gif

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
frank mir has the most obvious roid gut in combat sports history

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I don't even watch the events anymore (last one was Khabib vs Conor)... Anyone else that way? I watched the events almost as religiously as Milan games once.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I don't even watch the events anymore (last one was Khabib vs Conor)... Anyone else that way? I watched the events almost as religiously as Milan games once.

Likewise here. Honestly the thing that annoys me the most, is that belts really don't mean anything these days.

I know in the past they weren't always consistent on who got title shots, but it was at least credible for the most part.

Also the new crop of fighters are harder to like for the most part. In the past i had at least 2 fighters in each division that i was actively rooting for them to win fights, now i don't think i have 5 fighters that i root for.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
post ufc 229 I watched ufc 230 and the 25th anniversary show this past weekend.

I pick and choose, I think I watched 30% of this year's ufc events.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Way too many events and shows

Less is more

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are good events, I tune in for those. There are some forgettable ones that I skip and only rewatch few fights that may have been interesting.

It's hard to invest fully into a card in my timezone when it's not good because I'm not going to sit through random fights and WMMA to watch maybe 1-2 decent fights at 6AM and have the rest of my day fucked.

But 229 was great and I am super hyped for 231 - really good card headlined by Max vs Ortega and two actually amazing WMMA queens going at it. Plus there's some just bleed on this card and I got to watch every Rakic fight, no exception.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This was a thing of beauty though:

giphy.gif

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Same. I watched MMA religiously. Starting around UFC 38ish.

UFC, TUF, WEC, WFA, StrikeForce, CageRage, King of the Cage, you name it, I probably tried to follow it.

Pride, K-1 Hero's, Dream, Sengoku(WVR), I actually stayed up and streamed all their events.

When UFC bought Strike Force, i would say, i stopped watching MMA altogether. And just watched fights I was interested in.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
liddel ortiz 3 this coming weekend :lol:

yes I'm going to watch it :lol: :fp:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players