Week 34: Torino vs Milan 28/04/2019 20:30 CET

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Brilliant. :fp:

I think he's trying something different than saying the usual. Trying to provoke a sense that the team is failing - in part to him - to keep onto 4th and unless there's a drastic turn around in results we'll lose 4th. It's true but to hear Gattuso say it means he's trying to trigger the players into action.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
If we win this.. I will open the remaining 4 matches

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I never really pay attention to what coaches/managers say in press conferences, especially when they are so poorly translated. “we have to close to hedgehog” should be the next commode name.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I think he's trying something different than saying the usual. Trying to provoke a sense that the team is failing - in part to him - to keep onto 4th and unless there's a drastic turn around in results we'll lose 4th. It's true but to hear Gattuso say it means he's trying to trigger the players into action.

Yes I'm sure he is. He was very negative, really laid into himself and said we're not favourites for fourth and that everyone is playing for the shirt and their career.

Definitely a shock tactic and wake-up call. Let's hope it works.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
"Tomorrow we’re up against a Torino side that has similar characteristics to Atalanta, so we need physical strength and sharpness"

This is nonsense. Atalanta are an attacking team, Torino just parks the bus and wins 1-0.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I thought this was today for some reason.

I also thought the Lazio match was on a Tuesday until a few hours before.

Must be going mental

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Torino are as similar to Atalanta, as we are to Barcelona.

Khurrisu

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck UEFA
“Tomorrow we will play for the shirt, the careers of the players and the entire Milan universe,” said Gattuso at the start of his Press conference.

“We have a lot to play for. We’re coming off a negative moment and the criticism we have received is justified. Tomorrow we’re up against a Torino side that has similar characteristics to Atalanta, so we need physical strength and sharpness. It is our duty to do better.

“In moments of difficulty, we have always shown soul, but at the moment that is lacking. You can play badly, but get out of the situation with heart and suffering. We seem to have got ourselves stuck in this situation now and absolutely need to find our soul again.

“I am not punching anyone, we just need to make sure everyone understands the importance of being united and doing something more. We have to think with one mind, not just look at our own little patch of land, but the bigger picture.

“I hear too much chatter about my future and that of the players, but enough is enough. We must think only of the future of Milan. We’ve got to prove it all out there on the pitch.

“At this moment, we seem to have switched off in every respect. Talking is meaningless at this stage, we need action and results. It’s not a physical issue, as we do still run, but it’s the mentality that has to change.

“Everyone knows what is at stake, nobody plays badly on purpose. Milan hadn’t been challenging for a Champions League spot for years, instead I hear people suggest we’re worthless. That’s not true.

“We have strengths and weaknesses, but these lads deserve respect and a negative period can happen. You can’t purchase leadership at the supermarket, go in and ask for €10 worth of leadership. It takes time, a journey and everyone is bringing their piece of the puzzle.”

It’s a battle royal for that fourth place, as Milan are level on points with Atalanta (ahead due to a superior head-to-head record), one point clear of Roma and two in front of Torino.

“Everyone will struggle in these final rounds and the Champions League spot will go to whoever doesn’t let go. Looking at recent performances and results, I’d say Milan are not favourites for fourth place, but football is a strange sport. We’ll do everything to remain united, clam up and do our duty. Then we’ll judge at the end of the season.

“We need to play Torino with guts, hunger and mentality.”
Gattuso also had little patience for the continuing questions over his future on the bench.

“You’ve been telling me since July that I am no longer the Milan Coach, it’s a different name every day in my job. At this moment we are not playing good football, we are struggling mentally and the results aren’t coming, but the team hears this sort of gossip every day and is now accustomed to it.

“I am disappointed with myself, because I expected to make more of an impact in the minds of my players. You can make technical mistakes, but motivation must never be lacking. I am more disappointed by myself than by my players.”

Enough whining, start winning!

If I were Leo I'd be fuming now.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
We are now in 5th place. Must win.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
This is nonsense. Atalanta are an attacking team, Torino just parks the bus and wins 1-0.

Not at all. They are very physical, very aggressive down the wings and constantly shoots on goal. They don’t have Atalanta’s great interplay, but they are as aggressive and with a similar work-rate.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
FAR more important than the game in mid-week.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
We will win 3-1. Paqueta, Cutrone and Piatek.

milanista_

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Torino will win this and there is nothing we can do about it.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Matchday!

It's still in the hands of the team now to keep winning these last 5 games and reach the target of CL qualification.

Forza Milan!

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Torino will win this and there is nothing we can do about it.

Well, if they take the lead, they will defend with 10 men for the rest of the match. The Mazzarri approach.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Match day! Forza Milan!!!

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Probable formation - Gattuso returns to 4-3-3 against Torino but Cutrone is in attack. Paquetà returns in midfield

Gennaro Gattuso returns to 4-3-3, after the failed 3-5-2 attempt deployed in the Coppa Italia against Lazio. However, Canon Milan will not be the one who will face Torino tomorrow night. The Rossoneri coach will try to focus on Patrick Cutrone's determination and competitive rage to look for the team's lack of soul in recent weeks. The presence of the class of '98 instead of Piatek will, in fact, be the main training novelty in view of the challenge against the Granata.

ACCOUNTS FOR CALABRIA - In addition to Cutrone, there will also be room for defense against Torino in defense. During the return of the Italian Cup semi-final against Lazio, Gattuso lost Calabria, which was released after a match in progress for what turned out to be a fibula fracture. Instead of the number 2, Andrea Conti will take the field. Moreover, despite the full recovery of Cristian Zapata, alongside Romagnoli Musacchio will still play while Rodrguez will be confirmed in the left lane.

RETURN OF PACE - After almost a month, the last presence dates back to April 2 in Milan-Udinese, Lucas Paquetà will be back on the field. The Brazilian, summoned both for the match against Parma and for the one against Lazio, has not found space but will be there on Sunday. The former Flamengo will complete the midfield trident with Kessie and Bakayoko.

PIATEK IN THE BENCH - For the first time since his debut as a starter in the Rossoneri, Piatek will not start from the first minute. Gennaro Gattuso tries to give the team a turn by removing the striker who after dragging Milan in the run-up to a valid placement for access to the next Champions League has appeared tarnished in the last games. In its place, space for the young Cutrone who, once again, will try to make the most of his chance. The '98 will play in the midst of the offensive trident, flanked by Suso and Calhanoglu who will then return to play in an offensive position.

Milan (4-3-3): Donnarumma; Conti, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bakayoko, Paquetà; Suso, Cutrone, Calhanoglu.

Damn. Dropping Piatek seems very risky, although even with minimal service he hasn't been making the greatest contribution recently.

Caldara looked good too so I'd have liked to see him in the line up again, unless he can't manage a full game yet.

Back to 4-3-3, sticking with Suso. No Calabria, no Piatek but Paqueta returns, still stuck back in midfield.

Not the lineup any of us had hoped for I think.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
3 points or no CL

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think in the second half if we still need goals we will probably switch to a 3412 with Hakan on the left, Conti on the right and Paqueta behind Cutrone and Piatek who will replace Suso. We can then revert to a 433 with Cutrone on the wing if we need to close out the game. If Gattuso decides to keep Suso then we'll play a 442 I guess, with maybe Hakan out for Piatek? That would shift Paqueta out wide on the left. Maybe Gattuso panics and decides to play Suso as a RWB? I've seen him do crazier things.

Not sure how we can play Cutrone and Piatek later in the game without dropping Suso, that's all i'm saying.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck I'm nervous. If we lose and Atalanta win tomorrow we're 7th....

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I expect an excellent, life affirming win for us. Paqueta and Cutrone to light up Torino.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I expect an excellent, life affirming win for us. Paqueta and Cutrone to light up Torino.

I've come to expect nothing in recent weeks. But.. yes, seeing us lose 4th I expect the team to show up with a newfound attitude and win this.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
I think in the second half if we still need goals we will probably switch to a 3412 with Hakan on the left, Conti on the right and Paqueta behind Cutrone and Piatek who will replace Suso. We can then revert to a 433 with Cutrone on the wing if we need to close out the game. If Gattuso decides to keep Suso then we'll play a 442 I guess, with maybe Hakan out for Piatek? That would shift Paqueta out wide on the left. Maybe Gattuso panics and decides to play Suso as a RWB? I've seen him do crazier things.

Not sure how we can play Cutrone and Piatek later in the game without dropping Suso, that's all i'm saying.

4-3-1-2 Is an option to change Suso for Piatek too, Hakan dropping back and Paqueta behind the strikers.

Hopefully Piatek would be extremely motivated having been dropped.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I don't know where you find this reservoir of optimism, especially since you just saw them with your own eyes...

Paqueta will make a difference of course but he can't carry the team. The whole team needs to wake up. Cutrone does much better coming off the bench so i'm worried him starting will blunt his impact.

I'm looking forward to Hakan improving being near Paqueta again.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Cutrone does much better coming off the bench so i'm worried him starting will blunt his impact.

I see why Rino wants to start him. Patrick always plays with great determination, so I'd expect to see him immediately start harrying the Torino defence and running like a madman trying to find space so can hopefully encourage the others to press higher, get forward and play at a higher tempo.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I see why Rino wants to start him. Patrick always plays with great determination, so I'd expect to see him immediately start harrying the Torino defence and running like a madman trying to find space so can hopefully encourage the others to press higher, get forward and play at a higher tempo.

Perfect, but what's he going to do alone against 3 CB's? He's not the kind of player that drops back to confuse them so it will be easy to cage him in. Why not play him AND Piatek from the start?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Fuck Gattuso, what a fucking imbecile. Dropping Piatek, to cover up his own shit ass tactics.

Seriously fuck him, he needs to fuck off to Serie D.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I've come to expect nothing in recent weeks. But.. yes, seeing us lose 4th I expect the team to show up with a newfound attitude and win this.

We've always done better with this bunch of young guys when up against the wall, so who knows that might be the mental motivation needed.

I don't know where you find this reservoir of optimism, especially since you just saw them with your own eyes...

Paqueta will make a difference of course but he can't carry the team. The whole team needs to wake up. Cutrone does much better coming off the bench so i'm worried him starting will blunt his impact.

I'm looking forward to Hakan improving being near Paqueta again.

Optimism is never misplaced for this Milan team since we've all seen what they are capable off, as recently as last month before the derby. It's a team that's difficult to predict - which is the case with most young teams in top divisions. It could be really great, it could be really bad. All part of the growing process.