Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
And I was hoping that was because of Rodrigo de Paul's and Pussetto's free role and how they kept pouncing, waiting for the weak pass.

(btw I think this is what Julio Velazquez meant when he said there was a specific tactic that they would try against Milan and hope it would succeed.. De Paul was meant to win the ball at the sides and lob it to Pussetto who would run into the box between Milan's CB and FB, towards that confusing position for Donnarumma where he isn't sure whether to come out or not).

Tactically against certain opposition, it's good to hoof the ball up. But on a broader level, I hope we continue to build on passing out from the back. It's an incredibly effective tactic in modern football.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
And I was hoping that was because of Rodrigo de Paul's and Pussetto's free role and how they kept pouncing, waiting for the weak pass.

(btw I think this is what Julio Velazquez meant when he said there was a specific tactic that they would try against Milan and hope it would succeed.. De Paul was meant to win the ball at the sides and lob it to Pussetto who would run into the box between Milan's CB and FB, towards that confusing position for Donnarumma where he isn't sure whether to come out or not).

Tactically against certain opposition, it's good to hoof the ball up. But on a broader level, I hope we continue to build on passing out from the back. It's an incredibly effective tactic in modern football.
It is an effective tactic yes, but only if you have the right personnel. We dont.

There is a reason why Guardiola got rid of Hart the moment he arrived at City. He wanted a keeper that is comfortable with the ball on his feet and is not just a shot stopper. Exact reason why this tactic would never work as long as Donnarumma is our starting keeper. You wanna play out from the back? Play Reina then. Otherwise scrap it.

You also need CBs that can pass the ball under pressure. Hence why guys like John Stones and Laporte were signed. We don't have defenders of that quality also.

Let's be honest. Milan is no Man City and Gattuso is definitely no Guardiola no matter how much he pretends to be.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
It is an effective tactic yes, but only if you have the right personnel. We dont.

There is a reason why Guardiola got rid of Hart the moment he arrived at City. He wanted a keeper that is comfortable with the ball on his feet and is not just a shot stopper. Exact reason why this tactic would never work as long as Donnarumma is our starting keeper. You wanna play out from the back? Play Reina then. Otherwise scrap it.

You also need CBs that can pass the ball under pressure. Hence why guys like John Stones and Laporte were signed. We don't have defenders of that quality also.

Let's be honest. Milan is no Man City and Gattuso is definitely no Guardiola no matter how much he pretends to be.

Donnarumma is 19. Yes, he earns 6 million a year but he's still 19. And last season was an incredibly taxing one mentally for a 19-yr old. He had to deal with an aggressive agent, family and an incompetent club management. And he was at a club that he truly liked.

We can blame him for his lack of mental strength and mistakes, but let's not forget ultimately that he's only 19. Give him some more time. We are finally in a situation where we seem to have access to 4th spot without being perfectly efficient (squad is talented enough), we have a young manager with excellent man-management skills and a good group of players. That's a good situation for Donnarumma to learn and grow.

I do agree with you about the defenders though. But playing out from the back is not really rocket science. You just need presence of mind. A large part of this lies with Donnarumma. Once he improves, the whole tactic will feel much better and be so much more effective.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Donnarumma is 19. Yes, he earns 6 million a year but he's still 19. And last season was an incredibly taxing one mentally for a 19-yr old. He had to deal with an aggressive agent, family and an incompetent club management. And he was at a club that he truly liked.

We can blame him for his lack of mental strength and mistakes, but let's not forget ultimately that he's only 19. Give him some more time. We are finally in a situation where we seem to have access to 4th spot without being perfectly efficient (squad is talented enough), we have a young manager with excellent man-management skills and a good group of players. That's a good situation for Donnarumma to learn and grow.

I do agree with you about the defenders though. But playing out from the back is not really rocket science. You just need presence of mind. A large part of this lies with Donnarumma. Once he improves, the whole tactic will feel much better and be so much more effective.
Its not about his mentality. That's a whole separate problem.

It's more about his foot skills which are basically non existent. Dude takes ages to control the ball at his feet, looks clumsy and awkward everytime he has the ball on his feet and then panics and makes rushed pass when pressured. I dont know how much he can improve on that regard considering he struggles with basic foot skills. That stuff is taught early on in the youth level.

I would understand giving him time if we werent chasing a CL spot but we are. Wr cannot afford his constant fuck ups. Otherwise, if you gonna insist on playing him stop playing from the back.

Plus, if he thought he was deserving of a salary of 6m a year (which very few keepers earn) it is only right we expect him to fuckin deliver and get the basics right. The excuse of him being a kid went out the window the moment he and his scum agent held the club to ransom (p.s. - I really doubt he likes the club), even if that is the reality.

If anything, he has actually regressed. Maybe he wasnt all what he was hyped to be. There are plenty of keepers in his age group that are further in their development.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He has regressed in the sense he has made more mistakes. And what I'm saying is that a good part of his mistakes come from his anxiety which in turn is caused by all that he has gone through in the last one year. I will not judge him till he has had a chance to grow in this new, more tranquil situation with Gattuso, Leonardo and Maldini. He is incredibly talented in so many other aspects of goalkeeping.. reflexes, physical gifts.. that he deserves that chance.

Again regarding 6 million.. it's not his fault that Mirabelli was possibly the most incompetent SD to have been in a top Serie A team ever.

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
There are plenty of keepers in his age group that are further in their development.

name one other teenage keeper that has over 100 starts in any top 5 league and is on the first 11 for their senior national squad.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Its not about his mentality. That's a whole separate problem.

It's more about his foot skills which are basically non existent. Dude takes ages to control the ball at his feet, looks clumsy and awkward everytime he has the ball on his feet and then panics and makes rushed pass when pressured. I dont know how much he can improve on that regard considering he struggles with basic foot skills. That stuff is taught early on in the youth level.

I would understand giving him time if we werent chasing a CL spot but we are. Wr cannot afford his constant fuck ups. Otherwise, if you gonna insist on playing him stop playing from the back.

Plus, if he thought he was deserving of a salary of 6m a year (which very few keepers earn) it is only right we expect him to fuckin deliver and get the basics right. The excuse of him being a kid went out the window the moment he and his scum agent held the club to ransom (p.s. - I really doubt he likes the club), even if that is the reality.

If anything, he has actually regressed. Maybe he wasnt all what he was hyped to be. There are plenty of keepers in his age group that are further in their development.

again with this donnarumma not good for passing game and reina is better suited nonsense. donna has shown more that enough that he can be relied upon and reina has made as many mistakes as him in much less games. if anything, our midfield and attack lets us down when passing from back. they lack movement and ability to dribble past opponent when being pressed.

voom

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Overtraining the players resulting in full infirmary.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Is this based on some evidence you would like to share, or is it just a part of the grinta meme?

JacksonReality

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
again with this donnarumma not good for passing game and reina is better suited nonsense. donna has shown more that enough that he can be relied upon and reina has made as many mistakes as him in much less games. if anything, our midfield and attack lets us down when passing from back. they lack movement and ability to dribble past opponent when being pressed.

When?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Finally some grinta in the squad.. last 4 matches were all grinta driven points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Overtraining the players resulting in full infirmary.

Over-training has got us running like crazy until the end and winning games in the last minutes.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sacchi:

“Rino is a phenomenon, as he has given Milan back their soul. He also makes his team play good and positive football. The only elements his side lacks are a bit of pace and more pressing.

“It’s good that these lads never give in, and keep winning games at the last second. Rino is someone who’d give his life for football and for his players.

“Gattuso has restored dignity to a team that had lost it, he made the players understand what it means to be at Milan.”

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
RnB commoders >>>> Sacchi

voom

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Much better game than vs Inter,but clearly Juve is level above everyone in the league.Their bench would be our starters.
Its a long road for Milan 2-3 years,to be really competitive team.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
We played quite well and had enough chances, but shit decision making cost us. Higuain not passing to Suso, Rodriguez shooting at the birds when there are 3 open players, etc., etc.

The subs were good and were showing results.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
better game overall from him. we defended as a team and conceded two avoidable goals because of stupid individual mistakes. attack wise we were bad but higuain and hakan had very bad games. we had lots of counter-attacking opportunities but couldn't create single decent chance. he needs to stop rushing our attacks when opponents are already in defensive position. we lose lots of energy as we quickly lose ball and have to run non stop. much better than shitshow against inter but not enough. maybe with full team we could do better.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
I've been very very hard on him but I don't blame him at all for today's game. The players simply made poor decisions at almost every turn. I was actually wrong about wanting him to keep on an obviously frustrated Higuain...in retrospect it was better to take him off than have him blow a gasket....but hindsight is 20/20 and there was always the thought that if there was a scoring opportunity to be had you wanted Higuain to have it.

We have to remember that with our vantage point, it's always easy to see the right passes that the players should make but they don't always see what we do. That said....practically every decision everybody made was fucking wrong.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He interpreted the game very well, and did mostly everything possible for us to steal a point. Kudos Rino.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Come January, I can see our experts blame him for our poor form (even though we'll be top 4-5) and will totally ignore having most of our players injured/suspended.

I really hope that Cutrone and Kessie will recover fully, or we'll end up playing Samu false 9 and Bertolacci in midfield :fp:

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder who gonna play in our defense now. Zapata and RR? Or is Musacchio ready?

tuccero9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
musacchio will be out for another 2 months.
probably Zapata-rodriguez

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Well Gattuso has been dealt one of the toughest cards I can remember in recent Milan years with all of these injuries, literally all 3 CB's we have who are good enough are now out, we have a side back shortage, midfield shortage, and an attacking shortage... i mean really... I don't know how we expect to win any games right now... gonna be a rough patch, I just hope the atmosphere doesn't become to sour

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
We'll have to play full offense, so that the ball doesn't even get to our side of the pitch.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
according to rumors we re gonna be fielding a 352 with Laxalt as LM , RR Zapata Abate back 3

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
which is not horrible, considering :o

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Ds1Y65oWsAAwzqg

Schedule