Samu Castillejo Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Can't catch a break can't he?

He has spent most of his time in Milan on the bench, or out of position to accommodate Suso, but there is zero context when Milan fans evaluate his performances.

Pioli fields an ultra defensive team at home against SPAL, but again there is zero context when his individual performance is evaluated.

He finally received a fair chance to prove himself tonight, and he managed to turn around myopic fans only to get injured after 35 mins. ffs

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
yeah, poor guy

really looked good for once

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i didn't think he will have a good game but he did.
Still, he often had that 1-2 good games when he gets chance... then after that he turns into big useless shit.
Same as Hakan last game.. 1 great game, then 10 bad or average

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Still, he often had that 1-2 good games when he gets chance... then after that he turns into big useless shit.

You mean when he played out of position as LW or trequartista next to Suso whose style clearly doesn't suit Samu's?

Or when Pioli fielded an ultra-defensive side against SPAL at home?

This is what I refer to with "zero context when Milan fans evaluate his performances".

He also played as CF/false 9 in Higauin's absence, but most of RnB were happy with his performance in that game.

I'm not saying he's a dependable RW, but he's yet to get a fair chance.
It reminds me of when the forum was writing off Baka, describing him as worse than Traore, before he even got consecutive starts in suitable roles.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You mean when he played out of position as LW or trequartista next to Suso whose style clearly doesn't suit Samu's?

Or when Pioli fielded an ultra-defensive side against SPAL at home?

This is what I refer to with "zero context when Milan fans evaluate his performances".

He also played as CF/false 9 in Higauin's absence, but most of RnB were happy with his performance in that game.

I'm not saying he's a dependable RW, but he's yet to get a fair chance.
It reminds me of when the forum was writing off Baka, describing him as worse than Traore, before he even got consecutive starts in suitable roles.

Zero context is when you ignore the fact he got his chances at RW too, he never took them. I am considering his Milan days as a whole

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Zero context is when you ignore the fact he got his chances at RW too, he never took them. I am considering his Milan days as a whole

You mean these games?

The 2019 games with Samu as RW instead of Suso:

Milan 3 - 0 Empoli (Samu 1 goal, 1 assist)
Milan 2 - 0 Napoli
Juve 1 - 0 Milan
Sampdoria 0 - 2 Milan

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No need to search for these rare games where he did good, i watched all of his games here and i have seen him being useless runner that can't dribble/outrun anyone.. and failing to do anything meaningful in most games.
He did play LW to accommodate Suso and some other positions, but he did get started/subbed in at RW enough times for all of us to see his limitations.

In an open game there is some use for him, but in a tactical game where you dont get enough space, he is nearly useless

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Search? I quoted an older post where I listed his game as RW in 2019.
If I was listing his good games then the Sampdoria one wouldn't be included.

He clearly has limitations and ideally he's far from a starter, but our reality is anything but ideal. He should've at least rotated with Suso in the second half of last season. His off-ball game and the tempo of his game has a bigger upside to this team than what our other wingers have to offer imo.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Search?
He clearly has limitations and ideally he's far from a starter

Well that's the point of my first post... not sure why did you even start this argument.

If he has limitations and is far from starter, it means he is shit to average.. he is not the one to help our current situation... he will have good game here and there, but majority of games will be average to shit.

One more thing, it doesn't matter that much who plays between him and Suso. Of course, if one is in better form then play him.. but if they are both in shit form, i can see why coaches put Suso before him.
That guy can at least score a FK or assist with one of his 300 crosses per game, Samu can't even do that.
If Samu didn't get injured last game, it's obvious he should start, yeah.. He was better than everything Suso did for months

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Well that's the point of my first post... not sure why did you even start this argument.

If he has limitations and is far from starter, it means he is shit to average.. he is not the one to help our current situation... he will have good game here and there, but majority of games will be average to shit.

One more thing, it doesn't matter that much who plays between him and Suso. Of course, if one is in better form then play him.. but if they are both in shit form, i can see why coaches put Suso before him.
That guy can at least score a FK or assist with one of his 300 crosses per game, Samu can't even do that.
If Samu didn't get injured last game, it's obvious he should start, yeah.. He was better than everything Suso did for months

No, your point didn't have tactical roles or position in consideration.
Going by your post it's merely a coincidence that this good performance happened to arrive as a RW in a counter-pressing side against Lazio and not as a trequartista in the risk minimizing reactive AC Suso against Udinese.
Don't get me wrong, he'll always have shit performances, however I think they would be far less frequent if he hadn't been as mismanaged.

"Ideally" not a starter, which could be said about pretty much all our current starters, but I think he is starting material in our current reality.
He was a starter and key player for a Villarreal side that was firmly Top 4/5 in La Liga, only inferior to the Big 3. He's not beneath this Milan.

You compared him with Hakan, which I think is not far off, however he has been treated by fans as if he's a Oduamadi or some other useless Primavera kid who is only there to fill up the squad numbers. I think he's a real alternative to Suso, and that he can be a cog in a machine, unlike Suso.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No, your point didn't have tactical roles or position in consideration.
Going by your post it's merely a coincidence that this good performance happened to arrive as a RW in a counter-pressing side against Lazio and not as a trequartista in the risk minimizing reactive AC Suso against Udinese.
Don't get me wrong, he'll always have shit performances, however I think they would be far less frequent if he hadn't been as mismanaged.

"Ideally" not a starter, which could be said about pretty much all our current starters, but I think he is starting material in our current reality.
He was a starter and key player for a Villarreal side that was firmly Top 4/5 in La Liga, only inferior to the Big 3. He's not beneath this Milan.

You compared him with Hakan, which I think is not far off, however he has been treated by fans as if he's a Oduamadi or some other useless Primavera kid who is only there to fill up the squad numbers. I think he's a real alternative to Suso, and that he can be a cog in a machine, unlike Suso.

Yeah, but also going by your posts it seems he only did badly when out of position (RW) which is not true, he had absolute crap performances there too.
I did took his whole spell at Milan into consideration, i clearly said that as i remember he had crap games at any position.
On the Hakan - Samu comparison, "problem" is that we don't have a player to replace what Hakan does in team even in his average games. Paqueta not up to the task yet and i think they are much different. Samu, however, has obvious rival for the RW spot

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, but also going by your posts it seems he only did badly when out of position (RW) which is not true

No, I even gave you an example of a poor performance at RW(against Sampdoria).

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And i said i watched enough of his games even at RW, to know his capabilities?

We clearly can't agree on this so no point in dragging this. I think he is shit and one good game won't change anything. We have plenty of those who can look good in one game then 10 bad or average, we need more than that. Out of this

nanook

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
rCjJiUk.gif

DGyxdJM.gif

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Hoping for more performances like one vs. Cagliari in the future. Otherwise his value is too low to make a worthwhile sale.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
happy for him, he waited his chanced and took it

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
happy for him, he waited his chanced and took it

Heeey it’s time to change ur avatar.. don’t you think so?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@Buske
Two good performances in a row as RW/RM. Three if we include his last start before the injury - the 30-35 mins against Lazio.

How is this possible? You convinced me he's dirt poor 9 out of 10 games regardless of position or role.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He at least doesn't slow our team down like Suso does every time he touches the ball.

I think he can still be a useful player.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He at least doesn't slow our team down like Suso does every time he touches the ball.

I think he can still be a useful player.

Yup. Ideally a sub. But should've been a starter in the last 12 months. His performances in early 2019 at the very least earned him a few starts as RW without Suso, but it never happened.

He's certainly not this completely useless worst of all time fraudster he was made out to be by most of RnB.

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Samu is an actual good LM who would've thought.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
His grit, running and dribbling abilities will help him against low level opponents, but the moment a proper defender comes against him, he’s utterly clueless. He has had games like SPAL and Cagliari last season as well. But really, he’s hardly the man to depend on for most Serie A opponents.

Super22

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Just by tenacity and work rate alone Samu should replace Suso in the starting line up.
Suso doesn't defend. He hogs the ball thinking he is a star player like Kaka'

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
The very definition of a 'confidence player'.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His grit, running and dribbling abilities will help him against low level opponents, but the moment a proper defender comes against him, he’s utterly clueless. He has had games like SPAL and Cagliari last season as well. But really, he’s hardly the man to depend on for most Serie A opponents.

Don't suppress it. Embrace it. It will all feel better once you have released the inner Samusexual.

Schedule