Argentine Football Thread

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happened to ezequiel cirigliano? I noticed verona snapped him up thoe i remember alot of big clubs were interested in him years ago. Good deal?

Yeah, he had a very bad season... Injuries then bench, make him fall out of the radar in big clubs. Talent still there.

I think it's a great deal for Vernoa.
Loan + option to buy... Option maybe isn't be cheap for them, but if they survive in Serie A they can make it work.
Good chance he's a replacement for Jorginho... They can play together though.

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
Yeah, he had a very bad season... Injuries then bench, make him fall out of the radar in big clubs. Talent still there.

I think it's a great deal for Vernoa.
Loan + option to buy... Option maybe isn't be cheap for them, but if they survive in Serie A they can make it work.
Good chance he's a replacement for Jorginho... They can play together though.

Wow sven you must a big fan of football, seems like you watch all leagues known to man (no insult).

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow sven you must a big fan of football, seems like you watch all leagues known to man (no insult).

I don't really watch much Argentine League... some odd game on saturday/sunday night. Highlights/goals show on my tv all the time though.
Same for Brazilian League.

Serie A is the only league I really follow

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
River 0-1 Boca

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
congrats to san lorenzo. personally i had this one down as a velez championship. strange all round really with river, racing doing so badly and lanuz up there till the final day.

can't believe also that zuculini signed for man city what a strange move. was sure that he'd go to spain or italy, absolutely gutted at the price tag too.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That Lanus team was a machine once they found form.

They lost the league cause they focused on Sudamericana, which they won.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
yeah lanus were great

what a great finish to the league, top 4 teams played each other on final day and everyone of them had the chance to win it, i love their league...

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
thank god primera division is back. what a breath of fresh air. the boca match was pretty poor but how surreal to see banega, maxi and trezeguet playing for newels against gago and co for boca, so strange. good start for racing too.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
thank god primera division is back. what a breath of fresh air. the boca match was pretty poor but how surreal to see banega, maxi and trezeguet playing for newels against gago and co for boca, so strange. good start for racing too.

river are playing in a bit
smiley-love008.gif

Elio

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rui Costa. Ibrahimovic. Nocerino. Prince. Robinho. El Shaarawy. Honda

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
what a fukin goal, beautiful. :star:

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boca 1-2 River, Lanzini and Mori for River and Riquelme for Boca.

Lanzini
love-smiley-015.gif

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
looking foreword to racing- velez tonight should be good. im quite interested in seeing velez's youngsters this season but its almost painfull to see zarate doing well.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
theres gonna be a big libertadores clash tonight with correa vs doria particularly interesting. i don't know where to post this if i opened a libertadores thread it will probably be closed. game starts aprox 6 hours after champions league time

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
increadible scenes in group 2 of libertadores 3-0 in belgrano and 5-4 in chile! correa is boss botafogo and doria were a mess. great competition.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
I wanted to watch that one but it wasn't aired on BeIn sports

They showed the flamengo match and they were knocked out by Leon

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
it was insane. san lorenzo went through by 1 extra goal scored. they got it in 86th minute. the other game was just mental

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Damn I'm pissed that I couldn't watch it

It's nice to see knockout matches in other continents than Europe the level is a bit like 90s European football it feels more pure

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
exams week, didn't get to watch ;(

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep an eye out for this guy in this season:

Joaquin Correa

19 years old
estudiantes
CM/ ACM
188cm
Left footed

t_estudiantes_de_la_plata_idolos-8253059.jpeg

the guy is fast as fuck and can pass/ dribble like a typical south american. What hes got going that others don't is hes super tall and physical as well, and likes to win the ball back. Would be a great prospect to sign for our LCM spot. he'll probably move to spain or portugal in a year. Hes left footed too, very rare.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
boca are looking very interesting this year. they signed nicolas lodeiro who should be interesting to watch. also very curious to see their partnership with catania. boca have loaned out three players from the serie b side: gino peruzzi, fabian monzon and alexis rolin. peruzzi especially im glad to see at boca but a real shame it didn't work out for him. catania should never have got relegated last season, but he looked like a gem.

pretty funny seeing my post about joaquin correa from august. really pleased he's in serie a.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
Australiano could you explain why Zico and Romario are better than Diego?

Zico had all the odds in his favor to win the world cup but failed to lead a team full of all time greats (like Falcao, Toninho, Socrates, Junior, etc...) to success. Maradona not only lifted the cup but he did it with a team that entirely lacked all-time great talent. None of Maradona's teammates were included in the All-Star Team of 1986 whereas Zico's teammates Luizinho, Junior, and Falcao were included in the All-Star Team of 1982.

in matters of football
zico did for flamengo what maradona did for argentina(in only 7 games).
zico was important part of that team of brasil in 82.. the brain of the team was falcao.. so i dont think zico failed as you said.. he conducted flamengo in 1981 through america and through the world.. they beat liverpool 3x0 in the finals.
flamengo is what it is thanx to zico.. is the team with more supporters millions and millions follow flamengo until today even the team been all messed up..

i personal matters.. zico have builted several football schools for the kids in brasil.. romario is a congressman(this doesnt make him a better person.. but still) while maradona is just a drug addict comunist.. followed for a bunch of presumptions people(argentine are.. i live in the boarder with argentina i know them very well)

im not gonna even talk about the handgoal in 1986 against england or the drug in the water in 1990 against brasil, lets just enjoy the 0:14 of this video

and weep with this one

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Zico and Socrates are two of my favorite footballers but I can't put them above Maradona for the following reasons.

Overall in his career Maradona took teams to the next level consistently in comparison to Zico who helped Flamengo more than Brazil. That Brazil team of 1982 was very talented and should have reached the final but the players didn?t perform well enough against Italy. Gentile specifically marked Zico out of the game.

Anyways on to Maradona. The year Maradona started his career in Argentinos Juniors (1976) the club was fighting to avoid relegation. In 1977 they finished 9th (Diego established himself as a starter at the age of 17); in 1978 they finished 5th; in 1979 they finished 2nd (though it was done in a groups format, so it was 2nd only of the group), and in 1980 Argentinos was title runner-up (back to the normal league format). So you see he carried Argentinos starting at the age of 18. What was more incredible is that he kept Argentinos competing the whole season against giants like River and Boca. For a low-budget team like Argentinos it was an unexpected and truly amazing performance since they were more used to struggling against relegation every year than competing for a title.

Maradona then signs with Boca the next year (1981) and obtains the league title with them before leaving Argentina at the age of 21 to play the next 10 years in Europe. He transferred to Barcelona for a world record fee in 1982 and again broke the world record fee when he moves to Napoli in 1984 (being the only player to ever break a transfer fee twice). In the Argentinian league, Maradona was a more deadly goalscorer than playmaker. Then Maradona played between the ages of 24 and 31 in Italy where he was more of a playmaker than goalscorer. VERY complete attacking player.

The season previous to Maradona's arrival Napoli finishes in the 11th place with 26 points (7 games won and 11 games lost). The first season with Maradona in the squad Napoli finishes in the 8th place with 33 points (10 games won and 7 lost). The following season Napoli is 3rd before reaching the title in 1987. In 1988 Napoli is second only to Milan, in 1989 they are second only to Inter and in 1990 they are champions again. In those years Napoli and Maradona had to compete against Platini's Juventus, Sacchi's Milan, and two very strong Inter and Roma teams. I mean people tend to think Maradona only did wonders for Argentina and Napoli but he has consistently performed for every team. Even in Barcelona he scored 38 goals in 58 games before he got kicked out for fighting players from Atletico Bilbao. Honestly anyone would be angry if they got tackled as violently as Maradona did by Olaskoaga (Butcher of Bilbao).

Overall Maradona was more influential than Zico was for many teams and was much more clutch. He carried Argentina to the final in 1986 and helped them reach the final in 1990 with his assists. One of his best assists ever came against Brazil as well.

People can hate Maradona as a person because of his drug addictions but as a footballer he was extraordinary. Yeah he had two hand ball incidents but he still was able to carry a team based on skill and not cheating. Idk if people realize this but cocaine makes your body weak and would have lowered his performances drastically. However, Maradona was able to play at a high level consistently. People say cocaine enhanced his performances but it didn't. If he never did cocaine he would have been an even greater player. So as much as I like Zico; I can't say he is individually better than Maradona.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Zico and Socrates are two of my favorite footballers but I can't put them above Maradona for the following reasons.

Overall in his career Maradona took teams to the next level consistently in comparison to Zico who helped Flamengo more than Brazil. That Brazil team of 1982 was very talented and should have reached the final but the players didn?t perform well enough against Italy. Gentile specifically marked Zico out of the game.

Anyways on to Maradona. The year Maradona started his career in Argentinos Juniors (1976) the club was fighting to avoid relegation. In 1977 they finished 9th (Diego established himself as a starter at the age of 17); in 1978 they finished 5th; in 1979 they finished 2nd (though it was done in a groups format, so it was 2nd only of the group), and in 1980 Argentinos was title runner-up (back to the normal league format). So you see he carried Argentinos starting at the age of 18. What was more incredible is that he kept Argentinos competing the whole season against giants like River and Boca. For a low-budget team like Argentinos it was an unexpected and truly amazing performance since they were more used to struggling against relegation every year than competing for a title.

Maradona then signs with Boca the next year (1981) and obtains the league title with them before leaving Argentina at the age of 21 to play the next 10 years in Europe. He transferred to Barcelona for a world record fee in 1982 and again broke the world record fee when he moves to Napoli in 1984 (being the only player to ever break a transfer fee twice). In the Argentinian league, Maradona was a more deadly goalscorer than playmaker. Then Maradona played between the ages of 24 and 31 in Italy where he was more of a playmaker than goalscorer. VERY complete attacking player.

The season previous to Maradona's arrival Napoli finishes in the 11th place with 26 points (7 games won and 11 games lost). The first season with Maradona in the squad Napoli finishes in the 8th place with 33 points (10 games won and 7 lost). The following season Napoli is 3rd before reaching the title in 1987. In 1988 Napoli is second only to Milan, in 1989 they are second only to Inter and in 1990 they are champions again. In those years Napoli and Maradona had to compete against Platini's Juventus, Sacchi's Milan, and two very strong Inter and Roma teams. I mean people tend to think Maradona only did wonders for Argentina and Napoli but he has consistently performed for every team. Even in Barcelona he scored 38 goals in 58 games before he got kicked out for fighting players from Atletico Bilbao. Honestly anyone would be angry if they got tackled as violently as Maradona did by Olaskoaga (Butcher of Bilbao).

Overall Maradona was more influential than Zico was for many teams and was much more clutch. He carried Argentina to the final in 1986 and helped them reach the final in 1990 with his assists. One of his best assists ever came against Brazil as well.

People can hate Maradona as a person because of his drug addictions but as a footballer he was extraordinary. Yeah he had two hand ball incidents but he still was able to carry a team based on skill and not cheating. Idk if people realize this but cocaine makes your body weak and would have lowered his performances drastically. However, Maradona was able to play at a high level consistently. People say cocaine enhanced his performances but it didn't. If he never did cocaine he would have been an even greater player. So as much as I like Zico; I can't say he is individually better than Maradona.

Excellent post. But he did say Zico and Romario ... not Socrates ;)

Allan_Sombrero

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Excellent post. But he did say Zico and Romario ... not Socrates ;)

I know. :D But he said Socrates was the brain of the 1982 side and I said Zico should have still been able to carry that very talented Brazil side. Romario I wouldn't dare compare to Maradona for 3 reasons: Romario did not have a long peak at a high level, arrogant and undisciplined (refused to train at times and was lazy), and not a consistent clutch big game player.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I know. :D But he said Socrates was the brain of the 1982 side and I said Zico should have still been able to carry that very talented Brazil side. Romario I wouldn't dare compare to Maradona for 3 reasons: Romario did not have a long peak at a high level, arrogant and undisciplined (refused to train at times and was lazy), and not a consistent clutch big game player.

Fair point... but not a big game player. Na bro this is where we go our separate ways :D

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
And handsome.

UCL final 1994 and World Cup 1994. Romario was nowhere to be seen bro. Don't get me wrong he was a smart and lethal striker but inconsistent and wasn't good in finals.

He was Brazils best player and i think scored in every game apart from the final... he would get the first goal more often than not.

romario_13_280x390_1058150a.jpg

Btw that was one of the most boring finals of any football match :lol:

Damn you Brazil... why you produce so many Elite tier forwards. Not fair man.