Alessio Romagnoli Thread

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Wrongful red, why didn't the ref use VAR?!

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
He's still my boy

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
First yellow was soft too!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
:lol: Alright, I am convinced.

Clearly, I have come to the wrong conclusion from Milan's 8th position and loss/tactical failure in every big game that we are in a system that's well suited for us.

A system which literally just 3 of our players (not even the coach) are familiar with before Milan (Bonucci, Conti, Kessie. RR at Wolfsburg but he failed).

All other players have achieved their modicum of success in 4-man variants. Success they are clearly unable to replicate in 3 man systems.

Milan shares absolutely no characteristic familiar with successful (semi-successful) 3 man systems like Chelsea or Juve - strong, fast, physical wing backs and wingers, proper regista and holding midfielders, competent target man.

I mean, we did change our "well" suited system 21 times in 21 games and the only position we settled on was Borini should be right wing back. :fp::lol:

But I am now convinced otherwise.

You are perhaps unaware that Zapata had his best phase of his career, and was one of the best in the league, playing in a 3-man.

RicRod is the only one who isn't appropriate for the 3-5-2 in fact. Romagnoli, Bonucci, Zapata and Conti are all well suited for it.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
You are perhaps unaware that Zapata had his best phase of his career, and was one of the best in the league, playing in a 3-man.

RicRod is the only one who isn't appropriate for the 3-5-2 in fact. Romagnoli, Bonucci, Zapata and Conti are all well suited for it.

I think you are unaware that :
1) if a formation suits our players it should suit more people than our defenders.
2) especially if one of those defenders isn't a starter and the other is injured.
3) when has romagnoli performed well in a 3 man? Please dont respond italy.

It's really an open and shut case that Milan are incapable of playing 3 at the back with their current line up. No wingers, no proper wing backs, overrun midfield which can't hold possession of the ball exposing our technically naive cbs, no real wingers who know how to create width and stretch plays, no reliable target man, no capable dm.

At least in a 4 man the midfield is packed enough to protect our cbs and wing backs, and our wingers don't need to play out of character.

But there really isn't any point going into excruciating detail here. Our well suited system literally got exposed by the worst team in serie A history. :lol:

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think you missed the last month of football. We were visibly improving in defense since Bonucci came back from his suspension, and all were playing fairly well. Our problems were almost entirely offensive.

Yesterday's match of course was a disastrous reversal of this.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score

A 3 men defense isn't just about defenders, it's about midfield as well.
We managed to upgrade some players, but overall our midfield is worse than last year.

We fail to protect the defense in the center, and on the wings we keep getting caught out of position and our 3 defenders stretched are exposed like fuck.

Like I said in the match thread, we changed way too much tactically for no apparent reason.
Last year our team worked in many ways.
We threw out everything we had last year and started from scratch.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You guys are putting too much emphasis on the formation. When season started, I didn't want us to move to a 3-man defence, because to me that was not a priority. The important thing was to get the basic tactics right which would allow us to score goals. The off-the-ball stuff which we've been lacking in for years now. Then Montella moved to a 3-5-2 and now the players seem used to it. And again, it's not a priority for me to change the formation. The impact of formations have been really over-rated in football discussions nowadays.

What is important is that we are still not doing anything off-the-ball, we still do not have 2-3 players who are guarantees in front of the goal. Unless we fix these issues, nothing will change no matter how many times you change the formation. And no, changing the formation is not a way to fix these issues. These issues have to do with mentality and effort and need a manager who can drill down the message to the players that we aren't gonna get anywhere unless we put in a lot of effort when we don't have the ball.

After 15 rounds, Milan have ran 105,499 Km in Serie A, occupying the 19th place. Only Torino have ran less (104,740 Km)

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
"Thankfully" we will play the next two matches without Ale.
So, we will see how our defense holds up without him. :thumbsup:

latest

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It is not funny when one of our best players gets two unfair yellows and has to miss a match!

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yes, OK, he's our best player! :star:

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You can laugh but I'm going to miss him tomorrow...

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
They will find a way to play without him but he's different & he's brilliant, he will be missed. But we will win anyway!

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He was brilliant yesterday! Another goal as well! He's getting better & better! :love::love::love:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Honestly, his job has become much easier with RicRod and Bonucci on either side of him and Montolivo playing like he currently is. That's not a bad thing at all - individual defenders' jobs should become easier when the system works well. He is great at utilizing his physical strength and timing in front of the goal - so I'd always value his attacking contribution.

Overall as a team, we need to work better on defending from situations when we lose the ball high up in the field - which is a shape issue again. But otherwise, super positive about the current defensive line and Montolivo.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bah, accumulation of yellows and so no Roma today, bah!

Always Forza Milan!

Going to miss my favourite player :love:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Benching him and still conceding 2 goals 🤣

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:love::love:Another fantastic game ! :star::star::star: Icardi in his pocket! :lol:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
He was perfect!

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Best in Europe