The Rumour Commode XXXI: The Panther Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
to me, It was always Maldini's plan has always been to replace Romagnoli after this season for many many good reasons ... mainly, he never rated him... he says it without saying...

the "urgency" in the chase of Simakan which ended being Tomori in January was to get them acclimated for the rest of this season...playing a few game with Kjaer, a few with Romagnoli...pretty much not demoting (upsetting) Romagnoli because of the delicate contract situation. as he could decide to sit a year and go for free.
but that was with the hope that he would perform at his normal level (an OK level) till the end of the season. but with the turn things took, a decision has to be made.

will they keep him "happy" by not dropping him but risk the season? or will they make the logical choice and drop him and risk losing him for free? i do believe he would have been the first important sale "sell to reinforce"

for most fans, the preferred solution is clear.
but they have to run a business...what if most of their summer moved based on getting 30-40m (of course before the disaster) from his sale.

even though, it's not necessarily his intention, Maldini reveals he does not rate him when he talks about "quality defenders"...but i'm curious to know how Pioli feels about him...since ultimately, he's the one picking the players.
Pioli is not Mourinho type to say exactly and bluntly what he feels about his players, he protects. so we might never find out...but the Roma game will give us answer to where we are going with this saga.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Well Milan were always bad when selling & even worse when replacing players.
But things are better both ways with Maldini.
He was able to pull some good sells & make great buys.

Brother, how would you solve the Romagnoli problem?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
to me, It was always Maldini's plan has always been to replace Romagnoli after this season for many many good reasons ... mainly, he never rated him... he says it without saying...

the "urgency" in the chase of Simakan which ended being Tomori in January was to get them acclimated for the rest of this season...playing a few game with Kjaer, a few with Romagnoli...pretty much not demoting (upsetting) Romagnoli because of the delicate contract situation. as he could decide to sit a year and go for free.
but that was with the hope that he would perform at his normal level (an OK level) till the end of the season. but with the turn things took, a decision has to be made.

will they keep him "happy" by not dropping him but risk the season? or will they make the logical choice and drop him and risk losing him for free? i do believe he would have been the first important sale "sell to reinforce"

for most fans, the preferred solution is clear.
but they have to run a business...what if most of their summer moved based on getting 30-40m (of course before the disaster) from his sale.

even though, it's not necessarily his intention, Maldini reveals he does not rate him when he talks about "quality defenders"...but i'm curious to know how Pioli feels about him...since ultimately, he's the one picking the players.
Pioli is not Mourinho type to say exactly and bluntly what he feels about his players, he protects. so we might never find out...but the Roma game will give us answer to where we are going with this saga.

Very prescient post. You know, if you dressed up your posts in capital letters and showed discipline on punctuation you would very probably be the top poster on this board :lol:

Anyway, I like the smooth transition angle. It comes with a 28 million catch tho, which is another interesting addition to your analysis. If Maldini splashes 28m on Tomori, 18 months after signing Kjaer as teacher of defending, what does that say about Romagnolis chances? Well, the understated speaks for itself.

Maybe Maldini just takes the plusvalenza this summer and runs, but who will bite? Losing him on free transfer next summer is just bad business and not in Maldini's MO.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
That's his book value after amortization

Which is utterly meaningless, considering his value as a commodity for the club and his general value in European football.

I must admit I hadn't even considered him being sold this summer, but since he's clear plusvalenza it might not be such a stupid idea, considering the cost. I just hope the Romagnoli situation doesn't affect the Donna situation at some level. Him we need, Romagnoli we don't.

You are such a fucking biased poster, by the way. Don't put up an act saying you're not :D

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
I?ve skipped every post since the derby because my masochism has limits.

After thinking about everything, Romagnoli should be sold this summer if Milan intends to continue playing a high line and pressing the opponent. Simply put, he doesn?t fit that style of play due to his physical limitations. I?m not sure what we could get in the event of a sale, but he doesn?t fit with the style of play and that should make the decision easy.

Right wing needs to be upgraded obviously. The biggest mistake of the summer and January transfer windows was not addressing this need. Obviously, you cannot fix everything, but it has been very apparent for some time now that our weakest links are LCB and RW. Signing Mandzukic might be the most WTF move by Maldini so far. Pioli needs to try other players at RW, Samu and Sael are killing us because they contribute precisely nothing in attack.

I believe our form will return and we will right the ship. Two things have happened in 2021:
1) Injuries caught up with us, we?ve faced better teams, and our form and confidence have cratered.
2) Teams have exposed our weaknesses... you overload Milan?s left flank in defense and attack and we are screwed.

Ultimately, you cannot have CBs as slow as Romagnoli and to a lesser extent Kjaer and expect to compete with elite teams playing a high press. Tomori should replace Romagnoli immediately in the starting XI, I think Kjaer is good enough to handle his role professionally if he doesn?t have to cover for Romagnoli, who has been completely exposed this season.

:thumbsup:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
How much do you sell Romagnoli for in the summer?

Selling him for less than 20m after a couple of games is kind of silly.]

Perhaps renew him for 3 years at a slight raise 4m instead of 3.5m. And hope to sell down the line

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
35m would be a great price all things considered.

Selling him for less than 20m after a couple of games is kind of silly.

His contract expires in 2022, 35 is a good price with a long contract. Not realistic.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
there is a contract "situation"

Yea, I saw as well.

My thoughts are it's probably best to give him a slight raise (though undeserved) and hope he regain form so we could recoup a bit more financially for him.

He is in a bad spell right now, but he is still young.

If after such spell he still insists on a raise, then IMO his mental state is beyond saving and we are probably better off cutting ties.

Raz

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Which is utterly meaningless, considering his value as a commodity for the club and his general value in European football.

I must admit I hadn't even considered him being sold this summer, but since he's clear plusvalenza it might not be such a stupid idea, considering the cost. I just hope the Romagnoli situation doesn't affect the Donna situation at some level. Him we need, Romagnoli we don't.

You are such a fucking biased poster, by the way. Don't put up an act saying you're not :D

What does that last part mean? I'm biased? Ummm, yeah. I was never hiding it. I want all Raiola boys out.
I would have sold them all two years ago. Now they're leaving for free, or very little money.
And the club should never again do any deals with that pig.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Very prescient post. You know, if you dressed up your posts in capital letters and showed discipline on punctuation you would very probably be the top poster on this board :lol:

Anyway, I like the smooth transition angle. It comes with a 28 million catch tho, which is another interesting addition to your analysis. If Maldini splashes 28m on Tomori, 18 months after signing Kjaer as teacher of defending, what does that say about Romagnolis chances? Well, the understated speaks for itself.

Maybe Maldini just takes the plusvalenza this summer and runs, but who will bite? Losing him on free transfer next summer is just bad business and not in Maldini's MO.

i think we're at a point where it's about taking the lesser loss.

i can see 4 dif scenarios and they all results in some either loss or pocketing quite a bit less then we would if everything was normal.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What does that last part mean? I'm biased? Ummm, yeah. I was never hiding it. I want all Raiola boys out.
I would have sold them all two years ago. Now they're leaving for free, or very little money.
And the club should never again do any deals with that pig.

They probably will tho, considering our two most important players are his clients and we'd like them to continue in red and black.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
I blame quaas for fucking jinxing the derby thread

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
Yea, I saw as well.

My thoughts are it's probably best to give him a slight raise (though undeserved) and hope he regain form so we could recoup a bit more financially for him.

He is in a bad spell right now, but he is still young.

If after such spell he still insists on a raise, then IMO his mental state is beyond saving and we are probably better off cutting ties.

i thought that would have been the best case scenario too. if his weaknesses had not been spotlighted for everyone to see as it happened recently. till now, there was still some glamour to his name.
there are stiil a lot of Chelsea fans saying "Tomori will learn from great defenders like Romagnoli"

have honest talk of "we want to move in a different direction"... offer him a slightly improved contract with a reasonable release clause that would seem a good deal to potential buyers...30-40m.

but all that sound less doable now if he gets benched (which is likely/should happen) + his agent is Raiola.
i think if we bench him, Raoila will be ok for him to sit and run it down, then get big commission money next year.

so second best is to get what you can this summer, and that could be around 20m...and that's hopeful

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i thought that would have been the best case scenario too. if his weaknesses had not been spotlighted for everyone to see as it happened recently. till now, there was still some glamour to his name.
there are stiil a lot of Chelsea fans saying "Tomori will learn from great defenders like Romagnoli"

have honest talk of "we want to move in a different direction"... offer him a slightly improved contract with a reasonable release clause that would seem a good deal to potential buyers...30-40m.

but all that sound less doable now if he gets benched (which is likely/should happen) + his agent is Raiola.
i think if we bench him, Raoila will be ok for him to sit and run it down, then get big commission money next year.

so second best is to get what you can this summer, and that could be around 20m...and that's hopeful

You're such a great writer of posts. Why this sloppy handling of style?

20m this summer is fantasy land with his continually degrading value. You never know with PL, and maybe if we make top 4 we're suddenly at a very different mode of negotiating this summer. Don't forget Covid, clubs will be hard pressed to spend this summer and why splash on a high earning italian supertanker with little upside. But 20m for Romagnoli? Imagine the Belotti situation, he's a valuable commodity and we'd be moronic to buy him at anything above 10m+ the eventuality of a bonus. Expiring players are a nuisance in this case. One year contract left, left for dead by Lukaku in the derby after how many times by Icardi in the past? Serious clubs will know, whatever PL twitter thinks.

I want Romagnoli gone. But I want him gone at the most advantageous possible way for Milan. For these decisions I'm glad we have the broad back and pristine mind of Paolo.

Last edited:

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
You're such a great writer of posts. Why this sloppy handling of style?

20m this summer is fantasy land with his continually degrading value. You never know with PL, and maybe if we make top 4 we're suddenly at a very different mode of negotiating this summer. Don't forget Covid, clubs will be hard pressed to spend this summer and why splash on a high earning italian supertanker with little upside. But 20m for Romagnoli? Imagine the Belotti situation, he's a valuable commodity and we'd be moronic to buy him at anything above 10m+ the eventuality of a bonus. Expiring players are a nuisance in this case. One year contract left, left for dead by Lukaku in the derby after how many times by Icardi in the past? Serious clubs will know, whatever PL twitter thinks.

I want Romagnoli gone. But I want him gone at the most advantageous possible way for Milan. For these decisions I'm glad we have the broad back and pristine mind of Paolo.

as long as you understand. great.

I don't disagree with anything except i threw that amount as a figure representing a sale at less than reported value but something that can be re-invested and we won't feel like total losers in the situation.

and, yes. that's exactly who i was thinking about when i said around 20m, a Newcastle or a West Ham. I think a plurality of suitors can help us get a decent number.

PL twitter fans live in their own world bt some of their clubs seem to be operating on that same frequency..by throwing money at average players.
besides, he was good when we were fighting for 5th-6th...he should be for someone with those goals

anyway, as you said, i also trust Maldini to deal with this headache the best way possible.

atm, i'm more curious to see how we deal with this on the technical side until then.
i'm prety sure he'll start on thrusday with Tomori. The Roma game will be the first real indication of which direction we are going with this.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I agree that he had a great game in the Coppa Italia against Inter. That's why it is strange that it wasnt Romagnoli and Tomori again. We didnt concede from play. The donkey did nothing apart from the penalty and an altercation with Ibra

Exactly

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I like Tomori, but everyone acting like him not playing is the reason for recent shitty results while we had that fantastic run when he wasn't even on the team.

What are you even talking about

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
I blame quaas for fucking jinxing the derby thread

Yall might call me all types of names, but I know my football

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Romagnoli would be slaughtered in England with their pace.

I could imagine him in a Juventus shirt for some nauseating reason .. or maybe in Germany

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
You dont have to lie like that

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think something I’m not seeing people say as much is just how much we really rely on Hakan. Throughout all the absences this season until recently, the only two key players bar a Gigio that didn’t miss time were Hakan, Kessie and theo. Hakan playing very consistently was a BIG reason we were able to keep scoring at will for so long despite Ibra missing time and rebic being injured/out of form.

He really is our Bruno. Not as good but just as important I think(United is a mediocre side without him). People talk about Bennacer but even despite the obvious drop off with Tonali we have remained competitive and in first place at that, he has basically been out for over half the season by now. Hakan was one of the only constants, as soon as he got covid we started struggling to move the ball, we have been a long ball team since at least the Atalanta game. And even when he came back, he has been poor, like against spezia. And as some have pointed out, yes our defense has been allowing spaces but it’s overlooked when our attack is clicking. We did break a record for consecutive multi goal games if I remember right.

Many players need to find form but I really think Hakan needs to step up. He wants that contract, he’s been criticized before for being too up and down. He’s got to prove himself. Everything goes through him now

R.Akbar

Allenatore
Reaction score
This team needs Ritiro

I truly don't care about Ibra, he can be anywhere he wants.

But i think, Ritiro is the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule