Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball)

Who will be the winner of Golden Ball this Year ?

• Kaka'

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Andrea Pirlo

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Leo Messi

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Francesco Totti

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Ronaldinho

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Luca Toni

• Frank Ribery

• Riquelme

• Francesc Fabregas

• Gigi Buffon

• Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Didier Drogba

• Steven Gerard

• Genaro Gattuso

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Paul Scholes

• Ruud van Nistelrooy

• David Villa

• Paolo Maldini

• Deco

• Thierry Henry

• Diego

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Clarence Seedorf

• Miroslav Klose

• Total voters

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
CR7 or Casillas and i think there is no question about that. It will be hard for Casillas to win it, especially because he is a goalkeeper but he was one of the most important figures in Spain success @ euro + he had great season with Real, saving them numerous of times and in the end wining Zamora trophy as a best goalkeeper in LA LIGA.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
madtherchot said:
1) Ronaldo ... the slim one who likes little boys.

2) Messi ... the little prick.

3) Torres ... can't think of anything at the moment.

The scouser would be a good enough insult :D

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
C.Ronaldo without a doubt.
I dont know how Messi have a shot @ it since Zlatan was miles better.
Wouldnt mind Cassi.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
manutd fan said:
But the journo's are from around Europe, not Asia, Africa, USA ect.
Ah right. Although for the World Player of the Year, they are from everywhere i think.

x__player

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
C.Ronaldo was the best last season 4 sure. Messi and Zlatan arent even near him...Messi was good but not that great and Zlatan was injured quiet a lot and didnt score as much...

But if they gonna look at the Euros 2008 maybe one of spain players will get it like Torres...

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
radioactivenerd said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_(singer)

Would have thought he nominates Jessica but ...

(I'm sure we all understood he means a person already heavily in the discussion - Casillas)

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
C.Ronaldo will win it. No doubt. As much as I loathe this guy; EPL and CL tittles will swing the vote to him, not to mention the number of goals scored.

Last season Kaka was the hot fave because of the CL triumph (and 10 goals in the competition). However, there was still doubts since he didn't do much for Milan in Serie A but - IMO - what really clinched the tittle for him was his performance in FIFA World Club Cup.

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
C.Ronaldo will win it. No doubt. As much as I loathe this guy; EPL and CL tittles will swing the vote to him, not to mention the number of goals scored.

Last season Kaka was the hot fave because of the CL triumph (and 10 goals in the competition). However, there was still doubts since he didn't do much for Milan in Serie A but - IMO - what really clinched the tittle for him was his performance in FIFA World Club Cup.
The prize was given before the World Club Cup.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Besfort said:
Three of these made me laugh:

Third was Blackburn’s Roque Santa Cruz (“To my great shame, he recently featured in an erotic dream.”)

9. Kaka, who made it in spite of not playing in England (“I feel it would be the best way to show my gratitude for what he did to United.”)

10. Jeremy Aliadiere (“Looks like he smells nice”)

On topic: No real need in even discussing this award as it's never going to be going to anybody else but Ronaldo. And if it does go to anybody else, then this "award" shouldn't be taken seriously.

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Manchester United Star Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Ballon d'Or
The result everyone was expecting has come to pass as the Red Devils' superstar winger has been named European Footballer of the Year...

* »Comments (325)
* Print This Story
* Send To A Friend
* Contact Us

Manchester United Star Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Ballon d'Or
galleria zoom

France Football has handed its prestigious Ballon d'Or award to Cristiano Ronaldo, a decision that will surprise no-one given his outstanding performances over the past 12 months.

The 23-year-old led Sir Alex Ferguson's side to the Premier League and Champions League titles last term, netting some 42 goals along the way - an incredible feat for a player who predominately plays on the right flank.

Ronaldo was a clear winner, collecting 77 votes from the 96 journalists who judge the award, while Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Liverpool's Fernando Torres filled out the placings.

It is just the latest of many individual triumphs for the former Sporting Lisbon sensation, who was dubbed player of the year by the Football Writers' Association and the Professional Footballers' Association in 2006-07. He was recently named the 2008 FIFPro World Player of the Year.

Ronaldo becomes the fourth Man United star to claim the Ballon d'Or, following in the footsteps of Denis Law (1964), Sir Bobby Charlton (1966) and George Best (1968).

It is perhaps fitting that the Real Madrid target's win marks the 40th anniversary of Best's triumph, as he has often been compared to the late, great Ulsterman.

Next up for Ronaldo is the FIFA World Player of the Year gong, which has never been won by an English-based player.

2008 Ballon d'Or Top Ten Classification

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Manchester United) - 446 points

2. Lionel Messi (Argentina/Barcelona) - 281 pts

3. Fernando Torres (Spain/Liverpool) - 179 pts

4. Iker Casillas (Spain/Real Madrid) - 133 pts

5. Xavi Hernandez (Spain/Barcelona) - 97 pts

6. Andrei Arshavin (Russia/Zenit St. Petersburg) - 64 pts

7. David Villa (Spain/Valencia) - 55 pts

8. Kaka (Brazil/AC Milan) - 31 pts

9. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden/Inter) - 30 pts

10. Steven Gerrard (England/Liverpool) - 28 pts

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Congrats to CR7, Manutdfan and any other manchester united fans out there :)
CR7 deserved the award by some distance.....Plus with Messi not winning the award RONALDO retains the record as the youngest goldenball winner :proud:

Next year, hopefully Milan will have KaPaRo up on the stage....now that's a dream huh? :cool: My dream is to see Kaka (1st) Ronaldinho (2nd) and Pato (3rd)....to resume the Brazilian domination of the title as "the best" and give Radio nightmares for years to come :D

Realistically, on current form, it would be Messi, CR7 and anybody's guess for the third spot (Torres and Kun Aguero are pretty safe bets)

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Besfort said:
Sorry Dru, but Ronaldo won it in 1997 at the age of 21. Owen was 22 in 2001. :D
last time I checked 21<22 the record is ronaldo's :o

p.s. I never refer to that closet-queer as "ronaldo". I refer to her as CR7/ C.Ronaldo (i.e a "C" -grade version of the real thing) That is an exclusive name shared by ronaldo de assis (ronaldinho, r 10, r80) and Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima (ronaldo, r9, r99 Il fenomeno etc). When I speak of Ronaldo I mean R9/R99.....because as far as I'm concerned there is only one.

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Pretty tight race this year, eh?

Iker is my man! Though with concious I would have voted for Cristina also.

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
drucurl said:
last time I checked 21<22 the record is ronaldo's :o

p.s. I never refer to that closet-queer as "ronaldo". I refer to her as CR7/ C.Ronaldo (i.e a "C" -grade version of the real thing) That is an exclusive name shared by ronaldo de assis (ronaldinho, r 10, r80) and Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima (ronaldo, r9, r99 Il fenomeno etc). When I speak of Ronaldo I mean R9/R99.....because as far as I'm concerned there is only one.

LOL I thought you were talking about C.R. and wanted to prove your ass wrong. :D

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
I think there was a couple of years that Milan had players voted in the top 3. Should be the late 80s or early 90s during our Dutch trio period. I don't think any other club could even claim to have done it once at all, but obviously only Milan is in the record books by miles ahead.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
oh, no shit....really stupid question for him + he won nothing

Ballon d'Or Runner-Up Lionel Messi: I'm Not Bitter

Lionel Messi insists that's he's not too unahppy having failed to bag the Ballon d'Or...

Barcelona's Argentine superstar Lionel Messi was the only other European powerhouse realistically in the running for France Football's Player of the Year award.

However, the voting went as predicted, with Manchester United's prolific Portuguese ace Cristiano Ronaldo gaining the bulk of the votes from the 96 journalist judges, with Messi in second and Fernando Torres of Liverpool rounding off the top three.

In the aftermath Messi claimed that he's not despondent despite losing out to Ronaldo, before hinting that he'll be better placed to win the award in future.

He said, "I was not ever worried about the Ballon d'Or, much less now.

"Fortunately things are going well me, but I always say that the most important thing is to keep doing well for the team and to win many titles.

"I am only 21 years old and I have left many things to do in football."

goal

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
zZ[-_-]Zz said:
I think there was a couple of years that Milan had players voted in the top 3. Should be the late 80s or early 90s during our Dutch trio period. I don't think any other club could even claim to have done it once at all, but obviously only Milan is in the record books by miles ahead.
in 88 and 89 ALL the places were occupied by Milan players :proud:
1989 1) MVB 2)Baresi 3)Rijkaard
1988 1)MVB 2)Gullit 3)Rijkaard
and in 87 Gullit won it :cool:

Centre

Milan Icon
Reaction score
well good for CR... hes a douche and i hate him but he deserved the award.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
How was he the only one challenging him since he did not won anything last year + Torres scored a lot last season, and also did not win the league or champions league ??

Oh and congrats i guess :o

Last edited:

milan1st

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Pato, Boateng, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Fabregas, Essien, Ganso, Seedorf
How many points did Kaka last year colected ?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
wow im suprised the reaction has been pretty decent considering the hatred of Ronaldo on here (and just about everywhere else)

I'm really glad Ronaldo won it, not because I like him or because he deserves it, but because it will show another Manutd winner.

Dennis Law in 1964
Sir Bobby Charlton in 1966 - (runner up in 1967 and 1968)
George Best in 1968 - (3rd place in 1971)

Are our only winners, so I'm glad Ronaldo increaes the number.

Cantona was 3rd in 1993, Beckham was 2nd in 1999 and Ronaldo was second in 2007 though so its not that bad.

If only that stupid European regulation thing wasn;t there in the 90's. Cantona would have won more for sure.

zZ[-_-]Zz

¤ Gli Invicibili ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roberto Baggio, Franco Baresi, Marco van Basten
No offence manutd fan, but Cantona shouldn't have won any. That would have put him alongside the greats of French football like Papin and Zidane who won only 1 each. Cantona was a great player, but he never hit the highs of those players; he winning would have degraded the award by a lot. Platini was different because he won 3.

The award lost about 80% credibility since 2001 when Owen won. That was the biggest stupid moment.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I can see what you mean, but he had a 1 in 2 goal ratio for France and was never really able to show his talents in the CL as we we never progressed that far, and obviously the European players restriction thing didn't help matters.

He was also the main man in the French team up until his suspension.

I have no doubt that had we progressed further in the CL or had he played for a club who was consistantly in the semi's of the CL he would be up there.

I remember Platini saying he would win a Ballon D'or when he was the France manager.

I agree that award is a joke now though.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I hate haters talking about this isn't worth it and that isn't worth it because the player they like gets an award or the player they don't like gets it etc....CR& deserved this and any other award he got for last season simply because he was on fire and his teams' successes were heavily reliant on his performances.

Michael Owen also deserved his award. He was simply on fire and it saddens me to see they way the Brits are going crazy over Rooney when really the talent Owen had was really unmatched. I doubt Rooney will ever win this award because he can never be as devastating as Owen was. Height and Strength aside....a fully fit Owen (provided that he still has his speed wich is doubtful) owns Rooney in every imagineable way

Last edited: