David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
It has been brought to my attention, and I must agree, that the avatars and signatures on this forum are getting out of hand.

Since I don't want to disable images in signatures, nor do I want to disallow external avatars, I've made up some extra rules for them:
> no image in a signature should be larger than 468x200 [in pixels]
> only ONE image is allowed in a signature
> the image in the signature should be no larger than 25KB. Same for avatars.
> avatars should be no larger than 100x100

And here are the reasons I've made up these rules:
> there are still people on dial-up, people that can't wait I-don't-know-how-many minutes for a page to load
> 40% of our visitors still have monitors with 800x600 resolutions.
> large image signatures and large avatars completely mess up the current design

So please, take the time to adjust your avatar/signature to the rules above. Remember that the administrators are free to edit your sig and avatar anytime if they don't "fit" the rules; you'll just save us some time.

Regards,
David

efford

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Great David... i've been thinking about this signature thing also, and i totally agree with you!

...About the avatars, i haven't seen many problems... maybe only one (think it's the sylwester one)

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Gianluigi Lentini, Marco Van Basten, Alberigo Evani, Paolo Maldini & IL Capitano

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This rule still stands, it's just that in the past months I've not had the time to apply it. I'm thinking of making a "avatar and sig free week". Maybe that way people will start taking this rule seriously.

I've already edited sheva7's and milan_my_love's avatars and sigs for breaking this rule. Others will follow as soon as I spot them.

Please read my first post again. Some people are quite affected by huge avatars/sigs.

:)

David

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've turned them off [avatars and sigs]. They will stay like this for a week. Tried to remove the big sigs/avatars myself but to no avail. Please people do realize that some of our members are quite affected by some of the incredibly large images from your sigs and avatars.

David

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
The sigs and the avatars I have to say didn't bother me too much but I like this new sig/avatar free look.

Does this website have any relation to www.asroma-adict.com? I just was wondering?

ferruginouz

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Ehem.. david?? Can i give you some opinion?? I know this is your site, and you have the power to fix the forum...

Ok, i agree with your reason to stop the avatars and sig for a week... but hey i think it's has no affect... ok it's affecting the old member, but NOT THE NEW ONE... they will place a big picture on their sig or avatars.

Somehow, i know the people in this forum just by looking from his/her sig or avatars... like if i see cute girl then i know it's K-J, if i see nesta in the sig then i know it's mellanie, and so on... what i'm trying to tell you here is avy or sig is kind of symbol or EXPRESSION of the user...

I'm maybe one of some member that you defend from big sig or avatars coz i still use a dial-up connection.. but in my opinion by stop sig or avatars for a week doesn't solve any problem.. if you stop sig or avatars forever, it will be no cool forum again. And perhaps the member here will be trying to find some other forum which have more interest than yours, it always easy to find a new member but it's hard to make those member stay

The only thing in my mind maybe if you're busy you could ask another one or two persons to help you eliminate the big avy or sig, and ask them not to do it again... (or maybe you could do it by yourself)

Anyway it just my opinion...

regards

PS : I love my Brigate Rossonere avatars (the skull), i get it from BRN off. site, would you please not to eliminate that?? It's really hard to find that cool avatars.. and i'm proud to have that...please.. :)

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. but in my opinion by stop sig or avatars for a week doesn't solve any problem..

2. if you stop sig or avatars forever

3. The only thing in my mind maybe if you're busy you could ask another one or two persons to help you eliminate the big avy or sig, and ask them not to do it again... (or maybe you could do it by yourself)

4. PS : I love my Brigate Rossonere avatars (the skull), i get it from BRN off. site, would you please not to eliminate that?? It's really hard to find that cool avatars.. and i'm proud to have that...please..

1. You would have never read a thread like this [and if not you, then many others] if I would not have turned off avatars/sigs.

2. Nobody said that.

3. Done it before, to no avail. Look at milan_my_love, for example. He read my first post in this thread, said "OK", and then he sticks one huge avatar/sig. When we'll turn them on again we'll remove the big sized images/sigs ourselves from those that haven't done so themselves.

4. Read my posts again, please. I just turned off avatars and sigs. They're all fine and healthy were they are. I just told them to take a break for a week. :)

David :)

*rossonera*

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i actually like the new slim back-to-basics look of the site, this place is for discussion anyway and not for showing off photoshop skills ;)

mamma_mia!

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
LOL i almost didn't realise that they were gone! i thought my dial up was being slow. I agree the sigs can get a bit much, but the little avatars were fun to have as expression as ferruginouz said. But we get them back next week anyways so its all good. :tongue:

savicevic10

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, Boban, Maldini, Donadoni, Costacurta and Roberto Baggio
Only my opinion but this forum seems to have got so much better since you took off all the photos. People are writing more and not just captioning their new pictures. I miss some of them as they were great and I used some of them for wallpaper but I just thought I'd make the comment. There's more substance!!! Bring it on!!!

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
well, like *rossonera* said this is not the forum to show off ur photoshop skills, there are lots of other forums where u can do that.
but if u really wanna show off may be the best thing is that to make a threat about it in the off topic and u can proudly show ur image editing skills, but this forum is for ppl to discuss something (mainly about milan).
the signatures and avatars should have a clear meaning and this forum has a rule that they are not to be big sized pictures.
and i support the site admin who turned off the sigs and avatars for a week, it really made ppl put a little bit attention to the rules...

azira

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
i beg to differ...
i love to see the colorful pix and as the one who loves graphic, talking about milan in this forum will be more cool by having graphics on it..

maybe the admin should think, how to limit the size of avatar and sign..
i think this wd b better,
for e.g., everybody must have 60x60 sized of ava, or something..

only my humble opinion..tq.

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
azira said:
i beg to differ...
i love to see the colorful pix and as the one who loves graphic, talking about milan in this forum will be more cool by having graphics on it..

only my humble opinion..tq.
we do have rules about the size of avatars and signatures, david just turned them off for a week becoz a lot of people didnt seem to obey those rules... they will be on again after a week period and of course with the expectation that ppl will obey the rules of the size of avatars and signatures

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Frankly, I wouldn't mind to see "pics in sigs" gone alltogether, unless their size will be restricted drastically + restrictions will be enforced. Scrolling from one 3 word message all down a 100x100 inch pic just to find another 5 word message followed by another XXXXXL pic is nothing but ANNOYING...

*rossonera*

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
>>> azira:

i do appreciate creativity and the occasional milan-related pic and plead guilty of having wasted bandwidth myself by posting 1 or 2 pics of 'football hotties' ;) but the purpose of a messsage board is to provide space for VERBAL expression and exchange. i'm sure it is possible to find a compromise everybody will be happy with, for example by installing 1 or 2 permanent threads solely for the purpose of posting pics and own designs for a limited time (say pics will be deleted automatically after 2 or 4 weeks), provided this is doable of course. David will sure come up with a good solution...

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
ferruginouz said:
The only thing in my mind maybe if you're busy you could ask another one or two persons to help you eliminate the big avy or sig, and ask them not to do it again... (or maybe you could do it by yourself)

that's why we have 3 site administrators. we've all removed numerous avatars and signatures but, as david said, they just keep coming back. it's getting annoying for site admin to spend 80% of their time on the forum removing other ppl's sigs and avatars.

i couldn't agree any more. but the problem is that these graphics simply became too BIG any ppl stopped carring if other users need 5 minutes to open a page because of their signatures. few weeks ago a user, i don't remember who it was, had a 600Kb gif image in his signature. that takes 3-4 minutes to download on a dial-up connection. and then it has to be downloaded every time i, or any other dial-up user, open a page where that guy posted. nobody wants or needs that

the size of avatars and sigs IS limited in the forum rules, but you cannot FORCE somebody to have a small avatar as the forum script doesn't allow that. that's why all the problems

rony31

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
25KB for a sig? nah man, I think it should be 50KB because if people make their sigs, then the size of them are usually larger than 25KB

K-J

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomáš Rosický
50KB? well my sig sizes are almost always 125x125 with small text under it. Maybe 75KB to use small effects on 'em. Otherwise an option is saving .JPG-files as .GIF-files (lower quality) :(

btw.. isn't the sig-less week already over? :)

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
ferruginouz said:
Ok, i agree with your reason to stop the avatars and sig for a week...
Somehow, i know the people in this forum just by looking from his/her sig or avatars... like if i see cute girl then i know it's K-J, if i see nesta in the sig then i know it's mellanie, and so on... what i'm trying to tell you here is avy or sig is kind of symbol or EXPRESSION of the user...

I'm with you...
I miss my Sandro Sig&Avatar... and a lot of others!
It's also more difficult for me to recognize my posts now and I DO hope to get the "old-style" Forum asap!

BTW, honestly I think now the Forums is sadder, too much black&white & boring :(

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have some patience. I will turn them on in 2 hours. :) I don't have the time right now.

But make sure you're ready to adjust your sigs. :)

David

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
mtfco said:
well, like *rossonera* said this is not the forum to show off ur photoshop skills, there are lots of other forums where u can do that.
but if u really wanna show off may be the best thing is that to make a threat about it in the off topic and u can proudly show ur image editing skills, but this forum is for ppl to discuss something (mainly about milan).

With all respect to your opinion, but since you brought this all up I'd like to say that putting "photoshop" designed pics in our signatures goes really far away from anything that has to do with "showing off"!!!
I agree that this forum is to discuss stuff about Milan, but it's also for us to get to know each other and I think sigs and avators in general are sometimes a reflection for the member's personality ... For example, when I see that poor headless chicken in your avatar ( :tongue: ) I could tell that you're a person with a good sense of humour ... When I see a certain player, I can tell that this person likes or favours this player ... Even when I see a person without a sig or an avatar, I can tell that this person is very practical, serious, too busy and doesn't have time for these stuff which is completely respected as well!!!
And coming back to the subject, when I see a person with a photoshop designed signature I can tell that he's someone who likes to express his love for his team through this talent which he has ... Perhaps when people who are not members in the forum see his sigs they will know that he's a person with good designing skills and will ask for help :)
It really has nothing to do with showing off and so ... Yes, if we wanna show off we'll open a thread for that but we simply wanna say how we love Milan by this small thing which can reflect many things :)

FORZA MILAN!!!

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maldini3 said:
Is my sig OK ? :conf: I have no idea which is "legal" and which is not.. :tongue:

Read the first post of this thread. :)

I might modify the height of sigs a bit. It seems a bit too strict. I'll think about it.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I've made the rules more flexible regarding the height of the signature. That value might drop sporadically. :) It's meant to turn attention once in a while on this thread. ;)

David

warmth

Rossonero a vita!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
S.Rossi, Baresi, Maldini, Shevchenko, Kaká, Gattuso, Dinho, T.Silva, Boateng, El Shaarawy
that's great because I love my signature... I wanna keep it like that...

ferruginouz

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Hello David...

I just logged in today.. but i can't find may avy working... in fact i don't have it anymore... did u delete mine?? I know it's to large maybe, but i really love it and i don't think i want to change it...

So, can i have my avy back?? Or maybe you have a way out?? and everybody happy?? Coz right now.. i'm the one who not happy..

Help please...